OMG! I can't Believe that Cunard are Considering this !!!

oldsilverfox

I leave on the QM2 on Sunday 29th November (a week's time). I have already printed off ticket and labels and will keep them, seeing they say priority!

I have just checked and new ticket is there, suggesting it should be printed off as close to the date as possible in order to allow for changes - but of course, Cunard does not recommend leaving things to the last minute! (They actually preface with that last clause.)

I am Platinum level on a balcony on deck 4, and my luggage label is red with silver stripes, the same as Straightupwithatwist who is in a named suite. Under the old system, Platinum gets priority boarding and priority luggage.

I have the booklet, which has the black and white Priority luggage tags. After reading this thread, I checked my Personalizer and found the luggage tags in red. I am now suitably confused as to which ones to use.

J

We may be able to make a grid. All of the below had been "PRIORITY" prior to the change. All have RED as a common element.

Red w/Silver Stripes: Named Suite (deck 10), Platinum World Club (deck 4)

Red w/Green/White Stripes: Q5 (deck 11)

Red: Need Category / Deck

Per what I found at Cunard's website, the top Qs (1,2 & 3) still show priority luggage delivery. StraightUp and Fantasy are in very different parts of the ship but have the same labels. Do they reflect the new "priority" delivery code? Adiamo - where is your cabin and what is your WC status?

RemPuck

I've just looked at our Luggage Labels on our VP page, prior to printing them.

I see that it says " Do not remove, to be used for Embarkation and Disembarkation"

So it appears that Cunard may no longer be handing out the usual coloured-coded luggage labels for your disembarkation and if you remove the labels during the voyage you might earn an extra visit to the Purser's desk (deep joy) to plead for replacements.

BE WARNED.

I wonder how this affects disembarkation? I believe grills passengers and Diamond members were always given priority.

We may be able to make a grid. All of the below had been "PRIORITY" prior to the change. All have RED as a common element.

Red: Need Category / Deck

Per what I found at Cunard's website, the top Qs (1,2 & 3) still show priority luggage delivery. StraightUp and Fantasy are in very different parts of the ship but have the same labels. Do they reflect the new "priority" delivery code? Adiamo - where is your cabin and what is your WC status?

RemPuck

Deck Ten, PG.

J

A very good friend of mine works for the security company at the Southampton port and told me starting from December the check in times will be strictly enforced.

So if you have a 14.30 check in and you turn up at 12 you will not be allowed to check in before 14.30.

Four of us (same family) are due to board QM2 in 3 weeks time. We have linked bookings made at the same time. 2 of us have 12 noon as check in and 2 of 3.15pm. I was not concerned until I read this. I hope common sense will prevail.

UPDATED with Adiamo's information

Red: PG (deck 10)/Platinum

It appears that there's definitely something "important" about RED in that it does indicate some level of priority. The three tags we know of are all RED in some way, and all had been flagged as PRIORITY until recently.

It would be interesting to know some the colors for other tags, particularly for those with lower WC statuses and in non-Grills cabins.

Perhaps Cunard is trying to make the luggage system appear to be just "coded by deck" but still incorporating a way to prioritize certain luggage. Similar to the "no more priority desks, just jump to the front of the line" checking in.

RemPuck

UPDATED with Adiamo's information

Red: PG (deck 10)/Platinum

It appears that there's definitely something "important" about RED in that it does indicate some level of priority. The three tags we know of are all RED in some way, and all had been flagged as PRIORITY until recently.

It would be interesting to know some the colors for other tags, particularly for those with lower WC statuses and in non-Grills cabins.

Perhaps Cunard is trying to make the luggage system appear to be just "coded by deck" but still incorporating a way to prioritize certain luggage. Similar to the "no more priority desks, just jump to the front of the line" checking in.

RemPuck

It will be fun watching this unfold. Thanks for your effort in trying to make sense of it.

J

I wonder how this affects disembarkation? I believe grills passengers and Diamond members were always given priority.

That has been the practice. But there were also special tags given to those who had Cunard-arranged transfers and post-voyage tours. Last month a group that had a NY tour before being taken to JFK had orange tags - a color which did not appear among the groups in general disembarkation.

Thanks Pem for your detective work in trying to "sort this out," as our cousins across the pond would say.

To add further data, we're assigned a noon boarding time for our Q3 booking. That hasn't changed during the recent upheaval and "improvements." Doubt we'll be there that early, as we've booked a 10 AM car from our central London hotel (one that Cunard offers, but less than half as expensive booking independently through Amex for three nights).

Are they perhaps using boarding time to determine "priority?" Along with the Red tags? Don't really care what time we get aboard a stationary ship, as long as it gives us opportunity to leisurely unpack and settle in before sail away and dinner...

Dan

This is all so interesting.

I am wondering if this will be a way to implement what Carnival sells on their ships, called Faster to the Fun. (It might have to be renamed to reflect the ambiance of Cunard though.) Where for $50 you can purchase priority check-in, priority disembarkation and priority tender tickets when needed.

Hi StraightUp -

We've also been assigned a 12:00 noon check in time and that hasn't changed. The documents also state to not come EARLY or LATE. I understand the guidance not to come early but how late is an issue (provided it's before final cut-off) is beyond me.

We're leaving central London between 9:30 and 10:00 (I still need to finalize the car booking - is it about a 2 hour ride?). It will be nice to get on board and have a nice lunch in the QG to start the vacation. Hopefully the check-in, boarding and luggage delivery don't negatively impact the trip's start!

See you on board on the 15th!

RemPuck (aka - Howard)

This is all so interesting.

I am wondering if this will be a way to implement what Carnival sells on their ships, called Faster to the Fun. (It might have to be renamed to reflect the ambiance of Cunard though.) Where for $50 you can purchase priority check-in, priority disembarkation and priority tender tickets when needed.

It's not all that different from what United Airlines offers, allowing passengers to buy priority boarding and waived baggage fees, perks that used to be reserved for high-status or full fare/first class passengers. If the push is towards lower prices, the businesses need to look for "auxiliary" revenue to close their revenue gaps.

Hi

I am booked on a cruise next week, Diamond/Balcony, the luggage labels were red borders with green and white stripes. Having had experience with cattle truck airways (You know who I mean) where you are invited to pay for priority embarkation, I decline knowing how much this upsets other passengers in the line, and also knowing this doesn't help with getting through security. If I have problem or a bad experience I would be looking at removing my gratuity and booking with a non carnival cruise line. Will update with my experience.

If I have problem or a bad experience I would be looking at removing my gratuity.
Please very kindly explain give detail how removing autotip from crew on board changes procedures happen in shore terminal. Crew do not organise check in decide such procedures as far as we aware. We keen to learn as you clearly know differently also how punish those responsible directly. Looking forward to reading kind reply. Thank you.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Hi

That was a very interesting post you made. I was talking about luggage labels and you immediately picked up on gratuities? I tip for the overall experience, and give further tips for exceptional service, if I don't get that I don't tip. It sounds like you have a direct interest in receiving gratuities? Do you work for the carnival corporation or are an agent for them?

interested in your reply.

Hi

That was a very interesting post you made. I was talking about luggage labels and you immediately picked up on gratuities? I tip for the overall experience, and give further tips for exceptional service, if I don't get that I don't tip. It sounds like you have a direct interest in receiving gratuities? Do you work for the carnival corporation or are an agent for them?

interested in your reply.

Did you follow any of the threads here on tipps? No insider needed to post a comment as sfb did.

Just happened to me at the Ocean Terminal - boarding QM2 on 12 November. I am Diamond level and there was no longer Priority check-in but I was shunted ahead of a long line of other people-I was not comfortable and many of them were dismayed and/or angry. This new practice should be DISCONTINUED NOW!:mad:

I also have been a Diamond member for quite a long time, and I found nothing wrong with the old system when checking in.:confused:

I also have been a Diamond member for quite a long time, and I found nothing wrong with the old system when checking in.:confused:

Travelling QG Diamond but not above Q5 I found myself one queuing in a longer queue than BR passengers - and queuing with them at the security check. The new system might be and advantage.

Is the removal of priority luggage delivery to Grills and Diamond passengers the beginning of the end of Cunard's 3 tier system?

We will be sending an e-mail to Cunard to find out how this will enhance our cruise experience and what other changes are planned affecting Grills and Diamond passengers.

I suggest all other passengers to whom this applies, do the same.

That was a very interesting post you made. I was talking about luggage labels and you immediately picked up on gratuities?
Thank you was interesting reply. You talk about luggage labels then mentioned gratuities?
I tip for the overall experience
Thank you kind explanation. You right of course. Your post been v helpful. Certainly follow example from now. Not thought about overall experience of cruise before from start to finish re tipping. But will now. If there traffic hold up get to terminal blame cabin steward. If rain ruin shore excursion hold waiter in restaurant responsible. Just like poor terminal experience be crews fault. Remove tips unless whole perfect. Just shows even my old age I learn from others. Thank again taking trouble to explain. Youll save us lot money next time. Excellent post thank you.

No connection Carnival other than passenger.

Cheers.

Hi

If I have problem or a bad experience I would be looking at removing my gratuity and booking with a non carnival cruise line. Will update with my experience.

Hi Bretwalda. We'll look forward to hearing your update.

Can I suggest, please, that if you have a problem the best thing would be to write to Cunard directly and let them know how their policies have affected you. Tell them of your plans to go to a non-Cunard line until arrangements change.

As for removing gratuities, please remember that the gratuities go to the workers on board, not to those who decide on the policy. These workers are probably collecting extra flack from all the passengers because of managements' decision, as well as working harder and harder every time there are cutbacks. Many of the good things that happen to us on board are a result of their hard work and cheery attitude, while some of the bad things are a result of management decisions. Let's reward those who consistently help us out, and keep those gratuities coming! Don't punish them for things over which they have no control.