Live Voyager - Dubai to Cape Town

1982CruzStart

Back on my soapbox - there are some people who need to sit near the front of the bus for medical reasons, some of which may not be apparent to the naked eye. However, if one needs a seat up front, they should talk to DS and explain the situation and a handicapped seat will be reserved. However, as we have witnessed twice on this cruise, when we have requested a handicapped seat and upon entering the bus, found someone else sitting there. Both times they claimed there was no notice on the seat, but others on the bus recall seeing the notices. How low will people go to get the front seat that they remove the handicapped reserve sign and then claim there was no notice???

Off my soapbox - did not mean to hijack your thread, but when I read your post, I wanted you to know the same is happening over on the Mariner.

gnomie :)

We did exactly as you recommended; we contacted Destination Services and arranged for front seat. When we boarded the bus from ship to airport, there was a seat reservation with our cabin number written on it. There were others onboard that should have taken advantage of that "service." However, no signs on rest of trip; we moved back to second or third row to allow those with greater need to sit in front.

Marc

I interpret your moniker to mean you were born in 1982.

No it doesn't refer to my age but when i started cruising.

I totally understand the need for some people to sit in the front seat even if it is not physically evident. i fortunately am not one of those people so we always sit at the back. If you made arrangements for the front seat then i respect your need to do so. i sympathize with anyone that needs to have a specific seat for their comfort. I am thankful that is not our case. it is hard to believe that our bus had that many people who needed to sit in the front seat. It doesn't impact us except for the ongoing juggling of seats that seems to cause issues on the bus overall.

the only issue i have with the continuous fight for the front seats is that those of us that go to the back out of respect for those that need or want seats near the front may get screwed on the tour in some form or another. Not the fault of the people who need the seats but the people that organize the tour.

Captain announced this morning that we will be about 4 hours late arriving in the Seychelles due to high winds and strong current working against us. He also announced that we will NOT be going to Kenya due to all the unrest there. We will be staying an extra day in the Seychelles. DS will be working hard to make alternative arrangements for the affected tours. There would be a general announcement or something would be delivered to our rooms as soon as the options were known.

Of course there was a rush to DS by people wanting to know what was happening with their tours. Long lineup had started. :)

How disappointing to miss out Kenya. I am surprised Regent made this change in your itinerary so late, as the British Government advised against tourists visiting Mombasa more than six months ago. Hope you all enjoy the extra day in the Seychelles.

No it doesn't refer to my age but when i started cruising.

the only issue i have with the continuous fight for the front seats is that those of us that go to the back out of respect for those that need or want seats near the front may get screwed on the tour in some form or another. Not the fault of the people who need the seats but the people that organize the tour.

We have found from many years (too many years) of experience that IF the bus is one of the large ones with an entrance in front and one half way down the side that the seat that gives one most easy access to the pavement when the bus stops is the one right across the aisle from the set of stairs!

And sometimes in some places it is better NOT to see where the driver is going and what is happening on the road as well...

We have found from many years (too many years) of experience that IF the bus is one of the large ones with an entrance in front and one half way down the side that the seat that gives one most easy access to the pavement when the bus stops is the one right across the aisle from the set of stairs!

And sometimes in some places it is better NOT to see where the driver is going and what is happening on the road as well...

Unfortunately in this case even though we had mid doors they were never used. I asked but was told they were for emergency use only. Had they used the mid doors so much hassle would have been avoided. Oh well didn't happen but the trip was still great.

Just my opinion, and I have been to neither place yet, but I am thinking that unless one were going on safari (not really possible in one day), the Seychelles are far superior to Kenya. Especially right now.

That might be true as we have never been to either place before but all I can go on is that the tour planned in Kenya was far superior to anything offered in the Seychelles. Regardless we will enjoy wherever we are and make the best of the situation.

We are on the next cruise by the Voyager and we are also due to stop in Mombasa. I fear it will also be cancelled. A pity as we had booked to go on a safari which we are very excited about, particularly as the landscape is very different to that in South Africa. We have been to Mahe in the Seychelles before, in fact for a few days at the end of a cruise, and thus the likely extra day there doesn't fill us with joy.

Enjoying your posts...

Can I skip ahead & ask what your plans are for arrival into Capetown ?

If your flight departs the same day, what is the latest time you can be off the ship + do they offer any tours with airport drop off ?

We are on the Mariner in 2015.

Thanks.

Enjoying your posts...

If your flight departs the same day, what is the latest time you can be off the ship + do they offer any tours with airport drop off ?

Thanks.

Usually everyone has to be off the ship by 0900 on Disembarkation day. IF you take a Regent transfer to the airport and have a late flight the transfer might include a sightseeing tour en route. Generally though at the end of the cruise - on the Disembarkation day - there are no tours offered. In Cape Town it would be relatively easy to get a tour operator to transfer you to the airport AND to give you a tour for the day or however much time you need.

Although Kenya was an amazing experience, I cannot emphasize how glad we were to make it back to the Voyager on our excursion. Our return was much later than expected, and security was a concern. I really could have "kissed the ground" once we arrived back at the ship.

Although I am sure it is, understandably, a disappointment for many that the port will be missed, I cannot imagine how the safety of passengers on tours could be ensured. It is unfortunate that the decision was not made earlier. I hope that anyone who booked safaris independently, and planned to meet up with the ship in Mombassa will be able to rearrange their schedules.

On our cruise, we missed most of the time we were to spend in the Seychelles as there were issues with refuelling the ship. We did, however, have a fabulous time with officials who came onboard the ship. They provided us with information about the Seychelles and surrounding area that we would not have otherwise had the opportunity to learn, and our evening was one of the highlights of our time in the Seychelles. May the change in itinerary work out as well for you!

I hope that you will post about your experience.

Enjoying your posts...

Thanks.

Actually Hambagahle answered the question far better than i could. We booked a post cruise safari with Regent so we will be exiting the ship very early the morning of debarkation so am unsure what Regent will be doing for people catching flights that day.

Yesterday was Victoria, Seychelles. Very humid with periodic rain but still very warm so a little rain not that big of a deal. We are off on a tour around the northern part of the island including a stop at the Botanical Gardens, a walk around town and a stop at a resort for people to swim or to just relax.

The gardens were very beautiful and includes a tortoise sanctuary. Some very large animals. Our tour guide was good, English very good (they have to learn French and English at school) but no PA system on the bus so those of us at the back struggled to hear her. So again we missed a good chunk of the info.

It started to rain just when we were going to start the walking tour part so she had the driver drive us to see some of the sites and we walked around some. As it is Saturday here shops and markets close at noon so we didn't get to see the fish market and fresh fruit and vegetable market operating.

Had we arrived on our original schedule we would have seen so much more. Next off on a scenic tour along the ocean. When the trees weren't blocking the view it was very beautiful.

The stop for a swim was at a resort. We decided not to go for a swim so just sat around and visited with some fellow passengers.

It had the potential to be a wonderful tour if we had arrived on time and she had a PA system so we could hear her, regardless it was still enjoyable.

today was Praslin, Seychelles. the Seychelles are the total opposite of the Maldives. First it is all hills and tree covered where as the Maldives is flat (highest point 7feet, 10 inches) and covered in buildings.

The Seychelles has a total population of about 90,000 with 80,000 on Male and 7,000 on Praslin. There are many islands all around.

We took the Vallee de Mai Nature Walk and for me it was probably the best tour we have taken besides the Taj Mahal. It is a wonderful walk through a forested area with towering palms and the occasional bit of wildlife. they don't have a lot of wildlife on the island. You see a gecko and chameleon once and awhile. We spent the entire 1.5 hour walk looking for the elusive black parrot and had success just before leaving the area. The entire area was beautiful. Our tour guide was very good and very knowledgeable. Her English was very good and the accent not too much a detriment for me. The tour size was manageable and that made it possible to hear what she had to say as we wandered through the area. You definitely had to be mobile to make the trek.

It was a sunny hot day but once in the forested area it was comfortable as there was very little sun making its way through the large palm leaves.

The tender to and from was pretty short and the seas fairly calm.

The following 2 days are at sea as we make our way to Tanzania.

Glad you enjoyed the Seychelles, despite the rain which seems endemic to the islands. Where are you stopping in lieu of Mombasa or do you have an extra day at sea.

We did a quick sail over to a 3rd Seychelle Island - La Digue. It was about a 4 mile sail from the last port. As the quickly put together tours all include swimming stops we decided not to go on any. I may or may not tender over and see the Island. It may turn out to be just like a sea day for us. We have been told that it has no cars or motorized transportation, you get around either by bicycle or oxcart and yes i did say oxcart. For that reason alone i might go over just to see.

today was Praslin, Seychelles. the Seychelles are the total opposite of the Maldives. First it is all hills and tree covered where as the Maldives is flat (highest point 7feet, 10 inches) and covered in buildings.

The Seychelles has a total population of about 90,000 with 80,000 on Male and 7,000 on Praslin. There are many islands all around.

We took the Vallee de Mai Nature Walk and for me it was probably the best tour we have taken besides the Taj Mahal. It is a wonderful walk through a forested area with towering palms and the occasional bit of wildlife. they don't have a lot of wildlife on the island. You see a gecko and chameleon once and awhile. We spent the entire 1.5 hour walk looking for the elusive black parrot and had success just before leaving the area. The entire area was beautiful. Our tour guide was very good and very knowledgeable. Her English was very good and the accent not too much a detriment for me. The tour size was manageable and that made it possible to hear what she had to say as we wandered through the area. You definitely had to be mobile to make the trek.

It was a sunny hot day but once in the forested area it was comfortable as there was very little sun making its way through the large palm leaves.

The tender to and from was pretty short and the seas fairly calm.

The following 2 days are at sea as we make our way to Tanzania.

Glad your tour was great. Bus 6 had two folks with canes that should never have been allowed on that walk. Guide went very slow for first 45 min before sending them back. Still, we completed only the 1 km path instead of the 2 km completed by others.

Marc

Depending on your tours in Zanzibar and your interests, you might want to check out Memories of Zanzibar which is a modern shop within walking distance of where the ship docks (or at least where the Voyager docked when we were there). If you are looking for the cheapest prices, or like to bargain, this is not the shop for you. However, it had some really good quality items, prices that I could accept paying, and was air conditioned which was worth every cent!

On the walk back to the ship, there is the Mercury Bar and Restaurant (Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar) which is a great place to stop and have an ice cold beer. The view is gorgeous, and was filled with energy and music when we were there. (Unfortunately, the music was not live.)

As security changes regularly, check with your tour guide to make sure that it is still safe walking the area. Everyone we met was friendly.

Glad your tour was great. Bus 6 had two folks with canes that should never have been allowed on that walk. Guide went very slow for first 45 min before sending them back. Still, we completed only the 1 km path instead of the 2 km completed by others.

Marc

Sorry to hear your tour didn't go as well as ours. I remember seeing 2 people walking back and thinking they definitely shouldn't have been on that tour especially after we got to the toughest part which was the second half.

Depending on your tours in Zanzibar and your interests, you might want to check out Memories of Zanzibar which is a modern shop within walking distance of where the ship docks (or at least where the Voyager docked when we were there). If you are looking for the cheapest prices, or like to bargain, this is not the shop for you. However, it had some really good quality items, prices that I could accept paying, and was air conditioned which was worth every cent!

On the walk back to the ship, there is the Mercury Bar and Restaurant (Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar) which is a great place to stop and have an ice cold beer. The view is gorgeous, and was filled with energy and music when we were there. (Unfortunately, the music was not live.)

As security changes regularly, check with your tour guide to make sure that it is still safe walking the area. Everyone we met was friendly.

thanks Mariners, I will try and check them out. We have only a half day tour so we will have time to look around if we are in a good area.

Today is the White Elephant Crew Welfare Auction at 11 am. This is the first cruise that i remember this happening.

Haven't written much as we just haven't been doing much. Today is another day at sea.

Yesterday was the Country fair but we didn't attend.

i have heard some rumblings of people very unhappy with DS but haven't experienced it myself. Other than having bought a shore excursion only to discover that it was COMPLETELY changed from what we thought we purchased we haven't really dealt with DS. Pretty unhappy with the change but DS said it was head office. Can't understand why they wouldn't have notified us of the change.

We did attended the new lecturer yesterday and unfortunately will not likely attend more. We found it to be disjointed and all over the place. Maybe the next one will be more focused but i think i will try and catch it on TV. We still have the original lecturer on board so yesterday there were back to back lectures. Again today there will be 2 lectures, one before the auction and one this afternoon.

The weather is beautiful and the seas unbelievably calm. I don't think i have ever been on the ocean for so many days with such peaceful seas.

Tomorrow is Zanzibar.

i have heard some rumblings of people very unhappy with DS but haven't experienced it myself. Other than having bought a shore excursion only to discover that it was COMPLETELY changed from what we thought we purchased we haven't really dealt with DS. Pretty unhappy with the change but DS said it was head office. Can't understand why they wouldn't have notified us of the change.

Let me explain one of the issues with Destination Services. We booked our excursions 235 days in advance (we work so did not try to make the exact 240 days in advance when they opened). We have been wait listed on the Tala Game Reserve excursion from Durban since that date. I have asked onboard regarding the wait list and they have continued to tell me I am on the wait list and they will let me know if I clear. They have space on the excursion for 120 guests. There are over 200 (TWO HUNDRED) on the wait list. ALL excursions in Durban are wait listed; let me repeat, ALL excursions in Durban are wait listed. I was told I could get a car and driver for $739 and then pay for admission to the park on my own?!?!?!?!

There are additional providers in Durban; it is just that the only one Regent will use can handle only 120 guests on Tala Game Reserve and cannot even handle all 684 guests (actually 663 as 21 are leaving on safari). If Regent's provider cannot provide excursions for ALL GUESTS then they need to find another provider.

There is no excuse for this!?!?!?!? This is not the fault of the onboard Destination Services staff (all wonderful), this is Miami back office issue that needs to be fixed.

Marc

Today is the White Elephant Crew Welfare Auction at 11 am. This is the first cruise that i remember this happening.

Haven't written much as we just haven't been doing much. Today is another day at sea.

Yesterday was the Country fair but we didn't attend.

We did attended the new lecturer yesterday and unfortunately will not likely

attend more. We found it to be disjointed and all over the place. Maybe the next one will be more focused but i think i will try and catch it on TV. We still have the original lecturer on board so yesterday there were back to back lectures. Again today there will be 2 lectures, one before the auction and one this afternoon.

The weather is beautiful and the seas unbelievably calm. I don't think i have ever been on the ocean for so many days with such peaceful seas.

Tomorrow is Zanzibar.

Glad the weather is so great. Sorry about your changed excursion. Which one was it as we need to check that it is not one that we have booked on the next cruise. Who is the new lecturer? I hope they are not continuing after Cape Town.