Live Voyager - Dubai to Cape Town

1982CruzStart

How's the complimentary wine? The latest posts on Mariner suggest it's below par and they haven't replaced the NZ Saivignon Blanc they ran out of a couple of cruises ago. Maybe the Voyager will take on board some of the excellent South African Sauvignon Blanc.

Edited by eliana

How's the complimentary wine? The latest posts on Mariner suggest it's below par and they haven't replaced the NZ Saivignon Blanc they ran out of a couple of cruises ago. Maybe the Voyager will take on board some of the excellent South African Sauvignon Blanc.

The wine on all three ships is the same (except when they run out and need to stock up as the Mariner just did). Check out the wine list on another thread.

Edited by Travelcat2

So far I think the wine has been good. Can't speak to the whites as I am a champagne and red wine drinker and they have been good.

First stop Abu Dhabi.

In hindsight the tour was possibly not the best way to spend 8 hours. It was a 2.5 hour drive to where we going with a rest stop at a as station. Now picture this there are at least 3 or 4 buses with about 30 people on each and at least half those are women. We are all at the same spot at practically the same time and our tour guide says we have 10 minutes. In what universe can that many women use the facilities in 10 minutes. Oh and by the way there are only 3 stalls. So half hour later we are on the road again with yours truly skipping the experience. For that many to use the facilities in that time there was obviously more than moi that skipped out.

Our tour guide was very good, a lady from Argentina who has lived here for 6 years, something i understand is very unusual. Most foreigners at least people in professional jobs (her husband works for an engineer firm) don't generally stay more than a couple of years. She had a lot of history and general knowledge to share so made the trip interesting. The scenery for the most part is indifferent as you really can only enjoy checking out sand dunes for so long. Finally made it to our destination of Al Ain Oasis. Not really what i was picturing at all. Went into a area with date palms, checked out the water transportation system they used to distribute the water and looked at dirt. No water to be seen. Damn TV again giving wrong impression of what an oasis should look like - lots of palm trees (true) surrounding a pool of water (not that we saw). One of the guys did demonstrate how to climb a palm tree in bare feet with a rope tied around the tree. Pretty slick. Another guy brought a sample of fresh dates around for us to try. Delicious.

Off to the small but interesting museum for a quick look thru. Now onto lunch at a 5 star hotel. Quick buffet and off again as we had to be quick in order to get back to the ship on time. Next stop the camel market. It was interesting to see all the various sizes and colours. Camel racing huge here. But other than seeing a lot of camels standing or sitting around and the same with their handlers there wasn't much happening. The market was also where they sold goats and sheep so there were many pens of them just hanging around eating or resting. Off again to make a mad dash back to the ship.

Someone asked if we could get close enough to the large mosque to get a better look and maybe a photo so we made a slight detour to do that. It is the 3rd largest mosque after Mecca and Casablanca. It holds 43,000 people for prayers at one time. We did get a good view of it but with the glare of the sun I don't think anyone really got a decent picture through the glass. I wasn't a bad tour just too much driving for the time we had to see things.

We got back to the ship with only a cursory nod to security as we were running late, no baggage scan either in the terminal or on the ship. they just wanted us back on-board so we could leave. They pulled up the gang plank and we were off pretty quick afterward ahead of schedule so the Captain was in a hurry for some reason.

Tonight is the first formal optional night. Unusual for it to be on a port day but we don't have a sea day until the 5th day so i guess they decided we needed to get it and the Captain's reception done early.

Dinner in the MDR as they usually have a more special menu on formal nights. I had chicken and foie gras and Greg had caviar for the appie and we both had the lobster. My appy was ok but the sauce really didn't go with the dish i didn't think. My lobster was overcooked and the sauce did nothing for it. Not the best meal but service was very good except maybe getting water refills. Poor Greg never gets to finish drinking his own water.

off to the Broadway show. Love Broadway but the performance was just okay. Oh well we don't sail Regent for the entertainment.

Fujairah

for an unknown reason we docked 2 hours later than the original schedule and are scheduled to leave 2 hours later.

Went to the dining room for breakfast and all right it is Sunday which means champagne and caviar for breaky. How decadent but enjoyable.

We did the desert safari. Wasn't sure exactly what to expect but it was going over dunes in an air conditioned jeep. Our driver didn't speak a lot of English but enough to get basics across. What a hoot. It was so much fun, like doing the dune buggies only in comfort. Our driver was excellent except that he was constantly on the phone, sometimes getting instructions but mostly chatting with who knows who. it was interesting going up steep dunes and around sharp corners with his one hand on the wheel and one hand with a phone in it. we had a blast. All in all the tour was the best we have had so far. There were about 70 yes i said 70 cars carrying about 4 people each from the ship. Quite the site as we travelled in caravan.

Dinner at Sette Mare, the Italian restaurant that takes over the buffet upstairs. Best meal of the cruise so far. Super food service though they are a little slow in the wine department. Not enough wine staff when they get slammed with everyone at once. It is a popular place and if you are not there by 6:30 or shortly thereafter you are waiting for 8 for dinner.

Edited by 1982CruzStart

Have not been to Abu Dhabi - really appreciate hearing about it. I can definitely picture 3-4 buses - mostly women with only 3 stalls in the restroom. This happens all to often -- sometimes with 6 buses.

I know that you have cruised Regent before and were perhaps being polite by not returning your lobster and asking them to recook it and perhaps give you a sauce to your liking. IMO, it important for the chef to know when something is not prepared to your liking and it is equally important that you enjoy meal. Hopefully you will speak up. At home we are always hesitant to return a dish. We learned on Regent that it is better not to stay silent. Plus, the "refired" dish is usually perfect.

Looking forward to your next port. It sounds like the Voyager is almost completely full with return guests -- not surprising for this wonderful itinerary.

Have not been to Abu Dhabi - really appreciate hearing about it. I can definitely picture 3-4 buses - mostly women with only 3 stalls in the restroom. This happens all to often -- sometimes with 6 buses.

I know that you have cruised Regent before and were perhaps being polite by not returning your lobster and asking them to recook it and perhaps give you a sauce to your liking. IMO, it important for the chef to know when something is not prepared to your liking and it is equally important that you enjoy meal. Hopefully you will speak up. At home we are always hesitant to return a dish. We learned on Regent that it is better not to stay silent. Plus, the "refired" dish is usually perfect.

Looking forward to your next port. It sounds like the Voyager is almost completely full with return guests -- not surprising for this wonderful itinerary.

I never even gave it a thought to send it back. It was a busy night and it wasn't that big of a deal. I will mention it in the cruise comments form we received last night. i agree it is important to let them know when something isn't working. Thanks for the reminder.

We are in Oman this morning and will post my adventures later today.

The door to the GM's office is always open. I don't know who is on at the moment but all the people I've met as GMs are anxious to listen to what passengers have to say. And to help resolve any problems.

In many ways, it is better to talk to someone on board rather than waiting to fill out the form and then leave the ship.

Just my opinion.

Peggy

To deal with a couple of things. First regarding coffee, as I said I don't drink it but my DH does and he is not impressed. Generally he drinks decaf so that might not help with the enquiry. He says the room service coffee is indifferent. At night he drinks decaf cappuccino and he says his least fav is in the MDR, it is pretty good in Sette Mari and the best is in Coffee Connections.

As far as issues with staffing, for the most part we have had great service everywhere, the only somewhat slow service we have had was wine service in Sette Mari but still no big deal. All staff have been friendly and falling over themselves to be helpful including at the pool grill.

The executive chef was in SM last night going around asking how everything was. Have definitely not noticed any men in dark suits lurking around or berating staff as has been reported in other threads and posts.

There seems to be a lack of interest in this itinerary since the original start. Sorry if I have bored people and maybe been too long winded. I guess I will discontinue trying to post here. I am use to doing long descriptions for my family and friends and that is not as interesting for other people.

The cruise is going great and we are having no issues with staff or wine selection. Not once have we said we wanted a different wine and they said no. So we haven't had the same issue as those on Mariner.

Block party tonight was a lot of fun.

I am not sure why you think there is a lack of interest in the itinerary as there are over 2,000 views of the thread since it started. I don't typically post too much on threads, but I absolutely love reading peoples' descriptions of their cruises. You could never write too much for me!

We have sailed a lot of your itinerary, and our cruise on the Voyager was one of the best, if not the best, Regent cruises we ever had the pleasure to sail. I am really excited to read about your experiences in many of the ports of call, as I know it will bring back memories of my sailing. As well, I am sure you will take different excursions, and I'm looking forward to reading about things that will make your memories.

Please continue to post when you have time, and, the longer the better.:D

I agree with RachelG and Mariners. Please continue. Maybe we should ply you with questions to keep up your interest in those not aboard. For example, are you going on the game park excursion in Mombasa? If so, I would be grateful for comments as we are considering it after we join the Voyager in Cape Town.

thanks for the encouragement. i am happy to continue though must express frustration with writing out post and having them not work. oh well. just one more challenge in life. frustration with connections continue. Most of the problems seem to be with CC. Maybe the are trying to tell me something.

I have to chime in here to agree that indeed the dune safari was a hoot! I have done this once before from Dubai, and this was right up there for having some great dips! A mild "adventure excursion" and you never even leave your seat. The rest room stop before returning to the ship was well, better for the guys than the gals, three stalls, 2 were squatters, and just one western toilet. I worked my way almost to the front before leaving the line as it wasn't that far back to the ship. But, remember in this part of the world, always bring your own paper!

Everything else going well for me all the way around. Wine glass always tended to so far in the dining rooms. But tonight in CC Lounge had to go over to VL to ask for a waiter. He was there in seconds.

I too look for your posts and am enjoying following your trip. :)

This time next year we will be on the same cruise and very happy reading about the ship and the excursions. I'm hoping you and the others aboard will continue to post even with the frustration of the Internet. I appreciate the time you take, thank you.

thanks for the encouragement. i am happy to continue though must express frustration with writing out post and having them not work. oh well. just one more challenge in life. frustration with connections continue. Most of the problems seem to be with CC. Maybe the are trying to tell me something.

Please continue to post. I enjoy reading about your experiences on the cruise.

I'm interested in how the wifi is working. I know you are having problems posting, but not sure whether it is a weak wifi signal problem in the area where you are using wifi, or a problem throughout the ship, or something unrelated to the wifi signal strength. Also, I'm curious if you know whether other passengers are having wifi signal problems, for example, problems connecting to or staying connected to the internet from their cabins or elsewhere on the ship?

For we Brits there is another issue that so far Regent has not addressed. We prefer british hard(ish) biscuits to US soft cookies. Seabourn have addressed this matter, so I'm hoping Regent are now doing so as well. I do not want to bring biscuits with me as well as coffee!