Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

Mitsugirly,

I love your reviews as we are from Ohio and cruise frequently, 2 in August and 2 in November this year.

Only one small request. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I have a terrible time reading the pink print. Can you change back to dark blue or black or is there someway I can do it for your review. Would be much appreciated.

"an avid reader"!

Riddle

She is 7 1/2 so they would be in the same group. If you ever decide to cruise out of NYC let me know.:)

Choices for NYC cruises=the Breakaway as far as I know. I'm not sure if any other cruise lines go out of NYC? Although some day I'll sail the Breakaway to Bermuda, it probably won't be any time next year since we will already be going on the Dawn to Bermuda and for the fact that I just got off the Getaway (basically the same ship) this year in May. But we'll see.

She would probably love your daughter. She always seems to migrate to the "older crowd". She had a friend on the Sun that was probably around 10 or so and that was the girl that seemed to "adopt" Sakari and they played all the time. When ever the other girl would see Sakari in the halls or anywhere, she would always come up to her and hug her. Sakari loves the older crowd. :D

Mitsugirly,

I love your reviews as we are from Ohio and cruise frequently, 2 in August and 2 in November this year.

Only one small request. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I have a terrible time reading the pink print. Can you change back to dark blue or black or is there someway I can do it for your review. Would be much appreciated.

"an avid reader"!

Riddle

Hello fellow Ohioan. Nice to have you here.

We had already discussed this on my last review and decided that if I made the print bigger, it would be a little easier on the eyes to read. I did increase it, sorry it's still not working.

The reason behind doing it in a brighter and different color is that it's easier for someone just looking for the review itself to scroll through all of the comments and not have to bother with reading them to find the actual review.

The only suggestion I know of is if you put your pointer at the beginning of the wording and left click and hold it down while dragging it down the page, it will highlight the words. You will get a blue background with white lettering. I don't know if that works any better for you or not but I guess it's worth a shot. :D

Since I am playing catch-up here, I'm just going to go ahead and comment on what I've read so far. I've finished page 4, so I can say I'm glad you're on board the ship. Based on what I've read, I'm thinking this is not going to be your favorite ship. Certainly doesn't sound like your demographic, but having read your previous reviews I know you will have a good time anyway.

Your hotel looked nice in your pictures, but based on that not so nice shower and the party crowd I would not want to stay there.

Yes, Sakari has grown up some since your last review. I think she will be even more fun to have along with you on cruises. She should be able to do some of the "big girl" stuff now!

Since you're taking a break in writing, I think this is a good time for me to break, too. I need to go get some sleep, but I have bookmarked where I am in your thread and I will be back!

Since I am playing catch-up here, I'm just going to go ahead and comment on what I've read so far. I've finished page 4, so I can say I'm glad you're on board the ship. Based on what I've read, I'm thinking this is not going to be your favorite ship. Certainly doesn't sound like your demographic, but having read your previous reviews I know you will have a good time anyway.

Your hotel looked nice in your pictures, but based on that not so nice shower and the party crowd I would not want to stay there.

Yes, Sakari has grown up some since your last review. I think she will be even more fun to have along with you on cruises. She should be able to do some of the "big girl" stuff now!

Since you're taking a break in writing, I think this is a good time for me to break, too. I need to go get some sleep, but I have bookmarked where I am in your thread and I will be back!

Hi and glad you made it and hope you enjoy the review. :)

You'll be pleasantly surprised about this ship and it's demographics. This ended up being "one" of our favorite cruises and the best in a long time. But, it wasn't just the ship. The ports and where we went and what we did had a big impact on that.

Sakari is just getting so big so fast right before my eyes. But, there's one thing about her and our cruising, whatever we have done, she has been able to do along with us. So far, she has not held us back (well, unless it's on the ship and the ships have more rules than in port with height and weight restrictions). But so far, she has done every adult thing we have with no problems. I'm sure it only gets better from here on out. I can say that the only thing I haven't done so far, that I want to do, it parasail. I have been waiting for her to get a little bigger to do that. :D

Thank you for your updated review. We'll be there in January, can't wait to make your photos a reality in our lives. Looks absolutely magical.

I'll give you updates when we return. What setting do you usually use when snorkeling? I see there are a few underwater settings on the Olympus.

Thank you for your updated review. We'll be there in January, can't wait to make your photos a reality in our lives. Looks absolutely magical.

I'll give you updates when we return. What setting do you usually use when snorkeling? I see there are a few underwater settings on the Olympus.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I use my 620 the most, which only has 1 underwater setting. I only use it the most because I'm use to it. I use the 830 as a back up when needed or give to another family member when they are with us.

I really need to start practicing with the 830 because it has more megapixels and more settings. When I have used it for underwater, I usually switch back and forth between the settings (snapshot is an underwater setting on mine, then the "wide 1" is an underwater setting on mine that I use when I'm trying to get good pictures of things like coral, which it states is a "landscape mode" and then I have a "wide 2" which is an underwater action scene for the fish. Then there's also a "macro" setting for close up underwater pictures as well.) I usually go back and forth while taking pictures because I'm so afraid of missing things. LOL

Are those the settings you have on yours? Or did they manage to come up with even more settings on the newer models?

Yes there are the two wide settings the macro setting and a snapshot setting for taking pictures at the beach or in the pool.

It sounds like it might have the same settings as my 830. But the 2 wide settings and the macro is strictly for the underwater settings (according to my camera). I did learn a trick this past cruise. If you want really vivid colors in your pictures, try keeping the camera on the underwater setting above ground with landscape and it gives a very nice deep blue sky and increases the colors and vividness. I loved the way some of them turned out...it happened by mistake because I forgot to turn it back to the land settings. LOL But I switch back and forth all the time on settings...just to make sure I'm getting at least 1 good picture. LOL :D

Ah... my kind of photography if you try enough settings one should come out decent. How large a memory card do you use? I've got several smaller ones I am thinking of picking up a larger one before we leave.

Ah... my kind of photography if you try enough settings one should come out decent. How large a memory card do you use? I've got several smaller ones I am thinking of picking up a larger one before we leave.

I actually have about 12 memory cards with the highest being 16 gigs and a majority of them being 4. But, I always take my 10" small laptop and download the pictures from each day on there as well as a backup.

Yes I'll be taking my laptop also but only on the ship. You really have this down to a science. I'm very impressed.

Absolutely. :D It's a must when you are trying to capture everything and do a good review. :) Yes, I only download them at the end of the day once we are in the cabin for good and make a folder for each day (and then a folder within that folder for the port we visited) to keep things organized. It makes it a whole lot easier when I return to keep track of the things we did and in what order. My memory isn't as great as it use to be at my age. :p

If you ever cruise out of Los Angeles let me know, that's where we live and I'd be happy to take you on a tour of LA. Or even if you book a vacation in LA with the little one to Disneyland.

That's awesome. Thanks so much. I have never been west, so that would be exciting. :D

Kim, your reviews are addictive! And I mean that in a good way! :D

I had planned to stop reading after your tour of the ship - but then I saw you were heading to Little French Key! I kept reading until my tablet was down to 15% battery left and it kept beeping at me that it was going to shut off if I didn't go find my charger and plug it in.

When you said that the Sun was one of the oldest in the NCL fleet, I have to say that I wasn't expecting to be impressed by the tour. I was very pleasantly surprised to see what a beautiful ship she is! I showed DH the artwork going around the outside of the ship and he loved it. The Sun looks like she has been very well maintained. I even went back to the start of your TR to see how old she is. Good job, NCL!

Little French Key looks even more beautiful than it did the last time you were there. I hope I will be able to go there at some point. I may have to plan a cruise that stops in Roatan. :D

Sakari really is quite the artist. Her drawings that you posted had a lot of detail in them and are far better than any I might do. :eek:

I am very much looking forward to the rest of your report.

Kim, your reviews are addictive! And I mean that in a good way! :D

I had planned to stop reading after your tour of the ship - but then I saw you were heading to Little French Key! I kept reading until my tablet was down to 15% battery left and it kept beeping at me that it was going to shut off if I didn't go find my charger and plug it in.

When you said that the Sun was one of the oldest in the NCL fleet, I have to say that I wasn't expecting to be impressed by the tour. I was very pleasantly surprised to see what a beautiful ship she is! I showed DH the artwork going around the outside of the ship and he loved it. The Sun looks like she has been very well maintained. I even went back to the start of your TR to see how old she is. Good job, NCL!

Little French Key looks even more beautiful than it did the last time you were there. I hope I will be able to go there at some point. I may have to plan a cruise that stops in Roatan. :D

Sakari really is quite the artist. Her drawings that you posted had a lot of detail in them and are far better than any I might do. :eek:

I am very much looking forward to the rest of your report.

So glad you are enjoying the review. It was an AWESOME cruise in every way. We enjoyed the Sun (and new for several years that we wanted to try her out) and we were glad we did. The things we did in each port were simply amazing. We had such an awesome time. The hubby and I both agreed it was one of the best cruises we've had in a LONG time. We were impressed by each port.

If you decided to do a cruise that involves Roatan, then you'll probably be in the same ports that we went to on this cruise. You have to check out the other ports we went to. They were amazing as well...especially in Costa Maya at Blue Kay.

LFK is simply amazing and makes me want to book yet another cruise that goes there just to go back. I can't believe how much it has changed.

Sakari received a spirograph from Santa for Christmas...she is practicing her new "art" skills tonight. LOL I think she found a new way to draw. :D

Mitsugirly,

Wow, what a great thread! This has to be a record length review for you or anyone. Can't remember another this detailed. I enjoyed every moment of it :D

By now you must be a Platinum Latitudes member. Prior to leaving for your second cruise on the Sky, I didn't see a mention of using the complimentary bag of laundry for Platinum members or of you having a Complimentary Dinner for Two at Le Bistro with a Bottle of wine. Am I thinking wrong and that you are not yet Platinum?

Thank you for putting this together. It took me two days to read, can't imagine how long it takes to create.

bruce...

Mitsugirly,

Wow, what a great thread! This has to be a record length review for you or anyone. Can't remember another this detailed. I enjoyed every moment of it :D

By now you must be a Platinum Latitudes member. Prior to leaving for your second cruise on the Sky, I didn't see a mention of using the complimentary bag of laundry for Platinum members or of you having a Complimentary Dinner for Two at Le Bistro with a Bottle of wine. Am I thinking wrong and that you are not yet Platinum?

Thank you for putting this together. It took me two days to read, can't imagine how long it takes to create.

bruce...

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Yep, it takes FOREVER!!! I did learn with this review that's it's much easier if you have everything ready and done before starting. That way you don't take so long with the review and don't have people waiting forever and getting anxious. I did that with my Sky review and it turned out a lot better.

Nope, not Platinum yet...can you believe it? I'm 2 points away from being platinum. :( I think I'm being punished because I slipped in a Carnival cruise between all these NCL cruises. :cool: Although I have to admit...once I do turn platinum, I'm not sure that any of the benefits will...well...benefit me. I still won't have them do my laundry. I don't know, there's just something weird about having someone else do my laundry and see clothing that others don't see. Gives the the chills (just like I don't do massages and can't bring myself to try one because of the thought of someone having their hands on me is just weird). I'm weird I know. Then dinner at Le Bistro...well, I don't really eat meat (other than hamburgers) and I don't drink wine, so...I'm pretty much stuck with the same service I suppose. :o

Great job as usual!

Thanks so much. :)

Although I have to admit...once I do turn platinum, I'm not sure that any of the benefits will...well...benefit me. I still won't have them do my laundry. I don't know, there's just something weird about having someone else do my laundry and see clothing that others don't see. Gives the the chills (just like I don't do massages and can't bring myself to try one because of the thought of someone having their hands on me is just weird). I'm weird I know. Then dinner at Le Bistro...well, I don't really eat meat (other than hamburgers) and I don't drink wine, so...I'm pretty much stuck with the same service I suppose. :o

Thanks so much. :)

We've used the laundry on our longer cruises. We don't send everything to the laundry though. Mostly tee shirts, golf shirts, and shorts. On long vacations, it's nice to count on the laundry and pack half as much as you need. It's also nice to go home with clean clothes in your bags. With back to back cruises along with nights in a hotel, this would have been a long vacation for us.

I've only eaten at Le Bistro once. I'm not a foodie at all but French cuisine doesn't seem to be based on meat. I thought there was plenty of vegetarian and pasta based items, even seafood but my memory may be incorrect.

My wife and I don't drink wine either but it always seems that NCL or our T/A gives us free bottles of wine. We always give it away. Find someone that was kind to us or someone that we shared a tour with that enjoys wine. They are always happy to get a free bottle. After our dinner at Le Bistro, they gave us a bottle of wine to take with us. We found a young couple at the back rail of the ship that looked to be in the mood to share some wine.

bruce...

Love reading your reviews! I get so much information out of them. Can't wait to get going on this one.

Why thank you and I hope this review is able to give you even more info. :)

We've used the laundry on our longer cruises. We don't send everything to the laundry though. Mostly tee shirts, golf shirts, and shorts. On long vacations, it's nice to count on the laundry and pack half as much as you need. It's also nice to go home with clean clothes in your bags. With back to back cruises along with nights in a hotel, this would have been a long vacation for us.

I've only eaten at Le Bistro once. I'm not a foodie at all but French cuisine doesn't seem to be based on meat. I thought there was plenty of vegetarian and pasta based items, even seafood but my memory may be incorrect.

My wife and I don't drink wine either but it always seems that NCL or our T/A gives us free bottles of wine. We always give it away. Find someone that was kind to us or someone that we shared a tour with that enjoys wine. They are always happy to get a free bottle. After our dinner at Le Bistro, they gave us a bottle of wine to take with us. We found a young couple at the back rail of the ship that looked to be in the mood to share some wine.

bruce...

I guess that would be an idea...just the tees and shorts. When do they offer this? Is it mid-way during the cruise...or at any time? Is it limited to 1 bag and as much as you can get in it? I have no idea how it works. :confused:

So Le Bistro isn't a meat place? Maybe I'm thinking of Cagneys? Either way, I thought they both were like that. Hmmm. I might have to check it out then...especially if it has seafood...yummy. I'm all for anything with pasta as well. If it's free, I'm sure I'll go and try it. I mean after all, if it ends up being something I don't like, there's plenty of other options to head to after that. :D

I really wish I could find a wine that I like. I know so many wine drinkers and almost all the nurses I know talk about "winding down" with a glass of wine. Maybe I just haven't found what I like yet? I'm not sure. But I don't like wasting money on trying things and then not liking it and going to waste. LOL

Today I got as far as you boarding the boat to Passion Island. Forced myself to stop reading so I can go get some sleep since it is now after 3AM.

I really love your detailed excursion reviews! I want to go swim with the sharks! Those looked to be some pretty good size sharks you had there! I have actually seen a few either snorkeling or on scuba dives, but it seemed like at least some of the people on your tour had some pretty good interaction with them. There is no way I would have left there without petting a shark. I am sorry you and Sakari didn't get the interaction you wanted with them.

Blue Kay looked pretty nice. I'm not sure DH would like it as much as I would though. He is not the beach person I am. I did notice dive flags in some of your pictures. Did you happen to notice if they had a dive shop there, or if they ran dive trips?

Sounds to me like Sakari had a pretty good Christmas. Santa knew just what to bring her. Besides being an artist, she's quite the swimmer, too!

I will be interested to hear what you thought of Passion Island. I had considered going there, but I'm afraid that after the awesome scuba dives I did there this past October, it will take a lot to get me to consider doing anything else. Maybe you will convince me. I still want to get to Chankanaab based on your reviews. I guess I need to schedule more cruises that go to Cozumel! What the heck, I just need to schedule more cruises! :D