So I've been assigned 6001. Should I be delighted or dismayed?

dln929

Thank you everyone for your kind words and feedback. While I am regretful that we won't be taking advantage of this incredible itinerary, I am breathing a sigh of relief that we're not going to be in 6001. Whew! close call there. After reading all the comments, though, I am still shaking my head over how this undesirable cabin is classified as a VX and carries a premium price tag over the V1, 2, and 3 balcony categories. It seems a little greedy to me. :mad:

It might be easy for me to say, but after our experience in this type of stateroom, you have lots of great future cruises to consider. I have NO CLUE why this is considered as it is!

Happy cruising and look for other great itineraries.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and feedback. While I am regretful that we won't be taking advantage of this incredible itinerary, I am breathing a sigh of relief that we're not going to be in 6001. Whew! close call there. After reading all the comments, though, I am still shaking my head over how this undesirable cabin is classified as a VX and carries a premium price tag over the V1, 2, and 3 balcony categories. It seems a little greedy to me. :mad:

The cabin next to yours is a Club Ocean Suite. It has more room and a bigger balcony, but it also has all the problems you were warned about -- and it sells for really big bucks. I have noticed on a lot of cruise lines that they dress up what I consider very undesirable cabin locations and sell them for higher prices than even an average cabin. Think about Celebrity AQ -- most of those cabins are right under the pool deck, with the scraping lounge chairs every morning for deck cleaning.

yet to be an ocean cruiser but soon to be on azamara. have done many European river cruises so no risks of sea sickness there.

can anyone explain why sea sickness is worse in certain cabins? does it only effect you if in that part of the ship?

presuming sea sickness would only be a problem when moving on the ocean? regardless of the cabin position, time spent elsewhere on the ship when in motion would people still be at risk?

one would think if certain cabin positions are high risk for sea sickness, they would be priced accordingly?

just a novice about ocean cruising but fascinated by this discussion. hoping not to be sea sick anywhere on the ship.

There is more movement in certain parts, namely the bow especially.

You are better in a mid- ships cabin, the lower deck the better.

However last fall, we were in the stern of the ship in the Bay of Biscay. I slid up and down the bed, as the ship rolled in 40 ft waves. I had booked the FV cabin as a present to my husband for his 70th birthday, as we had 2 rooms and a huge balcony. Never again.

The captain said the stern was more stable, due to the weight of the engines.

thanks for your answer. so the rough seas, high waves caused movement in the cabin, but did you also feel sick?

for me to have that nauseated feeling would be worse than rocking about, but can understand the discomfort.

does the captain/staff warn about predicted bad weather or does it just happen?

Deirdre, I'm sorry you cancelled your cruise over this.

thanks for your answer. so the rough seas, high waves caused movement in the cabin, but did you also feel sick?

for me to have that nauseated feeling would be worse than rocking about, but can understand the discomfort.

does the captain/staff warn about predicted bad weather or does it just happen?

On every Azamara cruise we have been on, the captain has made public announcements about anticipated rough seas well in advance, and has advised passengers, that "if you take motion pills, now would be a good time to take one".

On every Azamara cruise we have been on, the captain has made public announcements about anticipated rough seas well in advance, and has advised passengers, that "if you take motion pills, now would be a good time to take one".

In Norway it was for me to the minute.. he said we be back in the North Sea at 11 pm. i was on the dance floor. .was in cabin shortly after.

We're avoiding problems being in 7001?

The noise from the theatre and anchor chains, which are mentioned in the spreadsheet as problems with 6001, should be less in 7001 because there is one more deck in between you and noise. BUT the problems in rough seas should be even worse, because you are further from the ship's center of gravity.

......can anyone explain why sea sickness is worse in certain cabins? does it only effect you if in that part of the ship?

Rather than trying to explain the difference in words, I think it is easier to understand if you try to visualize the two major types of movement for yourself.

(1) The pitch (up and down motion)

Think of how a see-saw (also called a teeter-totter) goes up and down.

The ends of the board go through a much larger range of up and down motion than the middle.

That is the same way that the front and back of the ship experience more up and down movement than the middle of the ship.

But it may be even rougher at the front than at the back because the front of the ship is the part that gets the impact of hitting into the waves.

Also, the engines are usually located at the back of the ship, adding weight that helps to hold the back down.

(2) The roll (side to side motion)

If you take a box, or milk container, and rock it side to side, you can see how the top moves a much greater distance than the base does.

That is the same way the highest decks on a ship experience more roll than the lower decks.

But even better is to actually experience the huge difference for yourself when you are on a cruise ship in rough seas.

When you are on a ship that is really getting bounced around hard, go up to the front of the ship and spend a few minutes out on the highest deck, as far forward and as high as you can go.

Then go to the middle of the ship, take the central elevator down to the lowest deck possible, get out and spend some time down there.

I was amazed at the enormous difference the first time I tried doing that during a storm.

Edited by fleckle

When you are on a ship that is really getting bounced around hard, go up to the front of the ship and spend a few minutes out on the highest deck, as far forward and as high as you can go.

Then go to the middle of the ship, take the central elevator down to the lowest deck possible, get out and spend some time down there.

I was amazed at the enormous difference the first time I tried doing that during a storm.

Good explanation. Also glad that you didn't go overboard in the first part of your experiment! :D

Good explanation. Also glad that you didn't go overboard in the first part of your experiment! :D
Yes, I admit that it was rough, but we were determined.

Bravely but cautiously our party ventured out onto the open deck in our quest for the full experience, accompanied by one of the ship's photographers to document our endeavor for posterity.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE7D__QcTZcRTnSmwH6bmG3n3MafVTKccjjFPbuM70dDQ0DSJH

Getting serious though, if there is danger in rough seas, cruise ships will close the outer decks to passengers, so the best (or worst) motion one may be able to experience in that case would be from an enclosed forward observation lounge.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I admit that it was rough, but we were determined.

Getting serious though, if there is danger in rough seas, cruise ships will close the outer decks to passengers, so the best (or worst) motion one may be able to experience in that case would be from an enclosed forward observation lounge.

I was referring (with tongue in cheek) to the part of your earlier post that said "When you are on a ship that is really getting bounced around hard, go up to the front of the ship and spend a few minutes out on the highest deck, as far forward and as high as you can go."

I knew that wouldn't be literally possible. ;)