Guarantee Cabin marked "no upgrade"

Justprettynpink

I called Princess yesterday to buy a couple things. We have two guarantee cabins. I knew when we booked two guarantees that we would probably not be close to each other.

While I was on the phone I asked if they could sprinkle some fairy dust on my reservation and the response was well your cabins are marked "no upgrade" :eek:

I booked the guarantee thinking that I would be happy to take the cabin in the category if that is what I get but I was also saying "Yes, please" to an upgrade. (not "I only want to be in the category I booked")

I called my TA and asked to have "no upgrade" removed....they said the reason it was done was to keep the cabins together...:eek:

If I wanted the cabins to be "guaranteed" to be close to each other I would have chosen cabin numbers.

Has anyone every heard of marking guarantee cabins "no upgrade"???????

Common practice or do I have a crazy TA?

Looks as if your TA made an assumption without consulting you. Call the TA back and have the 'no upgrade' removed. We had something similar happen to us. We selected the cabin no. we wanted, had it marked no upgrade, and a few days before the cruise we noticed it had been changed. After investigation we found that the TA made the change because they assumed we wanted to be next to the other couples we were traveling with. The assumption was incorrect, we were not happy with the cabin location, and the TA was informed.

I think you have a crazy TA. When you book a guarantee, you're telling the cruise line that you're willing to have any cabin assigned in that category or higher. If you wanted a specific cabin, you would have booked it if possible. If the reason you booked a guarantee was that no cabins were showing up in that category, it means you did not have the chance to book a specific cabin. For instance, we booked Cat. BF guarantees for our upcoming short cruises on the Caribbean Princess. There were not any available to choose when we booked. We'll probably end up in a Cat. BE or BD.

The only time I've heard of "no upgrade" being applied to a guarantee is after someone has received a cabin assignment. Even then, it's not assured that the cruise line will abide by the marking. After all, it doesn't seem to even when people pick out specific cabins and mark them "no upgrade."

No, you have a TA, (or possibly Princess did it) who was trying to anticipate your likely "we want to be close to..." request. Honest, well intentioned idea, IMHO.
But does "no upgrade" translate into the OP's group being assigned cabins close together? What if there are no cabins close together in the category they booked, but there are some in a higher category?

If I had to guess I'd say that the TA automatically checks this option in order to reduce their own workload. :(