Flight too early?

kathew

IF you are arriving at PE and flying from FLL you should make it.

For a 1030 flight you need to be at FLL by 9:00 (earlier is better); with a 15 minute, $15 cab ride from Port Everglades to FLL, that means off the ship, with bags, clear of customs/immigration, and loading into a taxi by about 8:30-8:40. I would carry your bags off the ship and pray there are no delays and a light day of port traffic.

Too tight for me - do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused: I would book a flight closer to noon or later and relax, but it is your cruise.

Do you fly SWA more than once a year? If so, book the more expensive flight with a more logical time and watch the prices. If the prices drop, re-book your flight to the new price and you will receive credit to use on another SWA flight within a year from your original booking date.

Granted, you are still out of the money initially, but if you fly more than once a year, it can make sense to do this. My husband and I have $200 to spend on future flights. Since we fly quite often enough this works for us.

kathew, I would not do it.

Can you make the flight? Maybe and some will tell you that they make it to the gate a 9:30.

Can things go wrong? Yes.

Like what?

Delay in arrival or a delay in clearing immigration and customs.

Can anything else go wrong?

Yes, long taxi wait.

If you don't mind stress you can try for it but if you do mind stress and would not be pleased if you missed your flight I would book a later flight.

If there is more than one of you in your party maybe it would be cheaper to stay over a night and leave the next day on the earlier flight.

Keith

OP - normally you will make this flight, if you take the early off option from the ship. That should get you to the airport before the crowds.

However, as already pointed out, stuff happens, so I would have a backup plan in case you miss your flight. Different airlines have different policies on this (missing a flight), so know yours before you book. Remember however, that most Sat. flights out of FLL after Noon time will be full, so getting on them after missing your flight could be tough.

Personally, I would book a later flight and take a good book to read in the airport. Also, depending on your airline, if you get to the airport early enough, you might be able to take the earlier flight anyway (the fees for doing this can range from free to expensive, depending on the airline. I have a lifetime "gold" card with American, so I try to fly them on the way home, just for this reason, as it is free.

When determining whether you can make a flight, don't look at what time it takes off. Look at what time you have to be at the AP. For a 10:30 flight you have to be there at 9:00 a.m. If anything delays your return to port, your disembarkation, customs or traffic you will miss your flight

FWIW, on our last Princess cruise we were literally the last people off the ship & we were off by 10. I thought Princess was very efficient with disembarkation.

When at Fort Lauderdale last we were still stuck on the ship at 10:30 because of some longshoremen issues..... A lot angry people missed flights and no one could do anything about it!

Sometimes SHIP happens. :p