FLL to POM advise needed

txd

Hi all,

We're booked on a cruise out of Miami in April (departs Port of Miami on a Saturday afternoon), but we're flying into FLL on the Monday and want to spend a few days visiting our friends in North Port.

Because we are not familiar with area, my plan is to rent a car at FLL where we land and return it the same location.

Are we best off just returning the car to the FLL and getting a shuttle to the POM rather than trying to find our way downtown?

Is it wise to leave North Port area the same day as the embarkation?

I'm keen to hear others' experiences. I really don't want to miss the boat!!

Thanks in advance, looking forward to our cruise!

TD

Hi all,

We're booked on a cruise out of Miami in April (departs Port of Miami on a Saturday afternoon), but we're flying into FLL on the Monday and want to spend a few days visiting our friends in North Port.

Because we are not familiar with area, my plan is to rent a car at FLL where we land and return it the same location.

Are we best off just returning the car to the FLL and getting a shuttle to the POM rather than trying to find our way downtown?

Is it wise to leave North Port area the same day as the embarkation?

I'm keen to hear others' experiences. I really don't want to miss the boat!!

Thanks in advance, looking forward to our cruise!

TD

Why not look into renting the car in FLL and returning it to MIA (Miami International Airport) and take a shuttle from there to the Port of Miami? You won't need to worry about the FLL to POM drive and your shuttle ride will be much shorter.

National, Alamo and Thrifty will shuttle you for free to POM from their MIA airport location - and as a bonus you get to skip the "excitement" of driving in downtown Miami! :p

If it works out cheaper to rent FLL to FLL, then you are looking at $15 per person for the 45+ minute shuttle to POM.

• 2 weeks later...
National, Alamo and Thrifty will shuttle you for free to POM from their MIA airport location - and as a bonus you get to skip the "excitement" of driving in downtown Miami! :p

If it works out cheaper to rent FLL to FLL, then you are looking at $15 per person for the 45+ minute shuttle to POM.

To rent a car FLL to FLL is defiantly cheapper. I don't mind $15 per person for the 45+ minute shuttle to POM.

Do you know how far the shuttle pick up stop from the car rentals?

To rent a car FLL to FLL is defiantly cheapper. I don't mind $15 per person for the 45+ minute shuttle to POM.

Check several different rental companies. I was able to get a FLL - MIA rental for the same price as FLL - FLL with Alamo.

I was able to rent a car from FLL to Q8M (Port of Miami Cruise Shuttle) from AVIS for one day for $49 after taxes and fees. Cheap, and the cruise shuttle takes you straight to the ship!

Could you do the reverse ?? Leave Port of Miami and then drop off at FLL ?

When I try to enter online for quotes, I have no idea to get it to pick up and drop off in different locations. When I type in Miami it says return to say spot.

Am I doing something wrong?

Did you book this directly on the Avis site?

Well, I don't know how defiant the rental is but in most cases, it doesn't cost any more to drop the car off at FLL or Miami.

• 2 weeks later...
We're getting charged about $10 to pick up at FLL & drop off at MIA. A shuttle is more than that.

Do the math yourself before making a decision.

Are you booking through the Alamo/National/Thrifty website? When I try to rent for even 1 hour from FLL to MIA, the rates pulling up are $150 and up!!

Or are you perhaps calling?

Curious who you are going through also. Thanks for the info!!

Are you booking through the Alamo/National/Thrifty website? When I try to rent for even 1 hour from FLL to MIA, the rates pulling up are $150 and up!!

Or are you perhaps calling?

Curious who you are going through also. Thanks for the info!!

Do not put in a 1-hour rental; book the car for 1 day - you can always drop it off early.

Use a travel web site that will compare rates across many agencies - unless you have a discount code for a specific agency.

If you have a Costco membership, check their rates. I got a full size car (Alamo) for 1 night FLL-MIA $38.00 total.

Thanks for the reminder to go thru Costco! It saved us $25 for the same two day rental that we made directly with Alamo today! Great idea!

:)

Elaine