Just Fancied a Change

ormy

Trying something different ourselves next year, we are booked on Royal Princess to Scandinavia and St Petersburg.

The ship looks fantastic, but i do like my British type entertainment and food, so the proof will be in the pudding (or lack of)

It would appear I have started an interesting topic, certainly for me.

We just fancied a change, not for the money, food or entertainment, something we do enjoy about Thomson is the entertainment, but we are with friends this year so we can make our own.

Thanks everyone, keep them coming.

We'll wales4ever, it's only the Germans that would understand what the hell your saying as welsh is a language on its own, :D

If language was a problem no one would travel abroad for holidays would they?

Incidentally, does Scotland not have its own language, so keep from the silly remarks.

Edited by wales4ever

...still feel the shows (as opposed to guest acts) aren't in the same league for staging, costumes or choreography. Thomson are so much better than any other cruise line we've been on - they just seem so much more creative, varied and edgy - to say nothing of the number of shows (6 per week) plus cabarets most nights from the show team members which rates highly for me - although I realise not everyone likes the same type of entertainment.

I entirely agree with you that the quality and quantity of the production shows sets Thomson apart, but that's also the kind of entertainment I like most. The likes of Celebrity & RCI seem to go more for variety, which can be a bit more hit and miss, but even then it's rare I've seen a bad show. That said I did find the pre/post show evening entertainment around the ship better on Celebrity.

Celebrity win in the food stakes for me, I just think their meals were a step up from any other ship I've been on. I don't mind the standing menu, but found I had so much choice on the other half I kept leaving the favourites for another night, so didn't try some as much as I would have liked (I loved the onion soup 😄).

I don't really understand why people talk about "jumping ship" though. For me part of the joy of cruising is checking out the various different itineraries and finding exciting places to visit. Obviously price plays a part and there are some lines that don't really appeal to me, but I've never felt like I must be tied to one cruise line forever (maybe that's because my early cruises were with Ocean Village, so I had to change when they went).

Of course the other thing Thomson do really well is offer new and interesting itineraries, so I'm already being drawn back to them for 2015.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year of cruising whoever you sail with :D

I entirely agree with you that the quality and quantity of the production shows sets Thomson apart, but that's also the kind of entertainment I like most. The likes of Celebrity & RCI seem to go more for variety, which can be a bit more hit and miss, but even then it's rare I've seen a bad show. That said I did find the pre/post show evening entertainment around the ship better on Celebrity.

Celebrity win in the food stakes for me, I just think their meals were a step up from any other ship I've been on. I don't mind the standing menu, but found I had so much choice on the other half I kept leaving the favourites for another night, so didn't try some as much as I would have liked (I loved the onion soup ).

I don't really understand why people talk about "jumping ship" though. For me part of the joy of cruising is checking out the various different itineraries and finding exciting places to visit. Obviously price plays a part and there are some lines that don't really appeal to me, but I've never felt like I must be tied to one cruise line forever (maybe that's because my early cruises were with Ocean Village, so I had to change when they went).

Of course the other thing Thomson do really well is offer new and interesting itineraries, so I'm already being drawn back to them for 2015.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you have said -your views mirror mine.

I got a little embroiled in the entertainment discussion on this thread only because I do rate the quality, quantity and variety of the Thomson shows and felt it so unfair that they were being poorly compared with Celebrity by someone who has apparently experienced neither! But you are quite right, that isn't the only entertainment on offer.

As for food as I've already said and it would seem you agree, we think it had the edge compared with all other ships we've tried including the QE which was also excellent. Like you the stand alone menu for us was just a great 'back stop' of appealing options should the main menu not have something to your taste although that was never the case as the menus were comprehensive and varied in my experience. I do confess to defecting from the daily menu to the stand-by selecting the creme brulee for dessert a couple of times though as it was so delicious! ;)

And your comment about Thomson's strengths - entertainment (at the risk of sounding like a broken record here! :D), port intensive cruises with great and varied itineraries, ambience, friendliness are all features we greatly value. But it is always an 'on balance' decision and we weigh these up against the pluses of other cruise lines. We are very lucky never to have had a bad time - we've thoroughly enjoyed every cruise we've done which includes a lot of Thomson ones. But there is such a lot of choice and great experiences to be had that it's good for us to share ideas, experiences and debate the relative merits as we see them. I enjoy reading about others' cruises and their opinions. It all helps to broaden the picture for me and we can all decide on the aspects which matter to us.

Yes - happy cruising everyone for 2015 wherever and with whichever ship that may be. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

I don't really understand why people talk about "jumping ship" though. For me part of the joy of cruising is checking out the various different itineraries.

I am only considering "jumping ship" because DH would like to visit the Baltic this year and Thomson are no longer doing ex-UK cruises. I am prevaricating because the cruise we are considering is end Aug/beginning Sept and I realise the weather will not be as good as the Med at that time. :(.

Happy, healthy New Year to you all. I'm always happy on any cruise.

I am only considering "jumping ship" because DH would like to visit the Baltic this year and Thomson are no longer doing ex-UK cruises. I am prevaricating because the cruise we are considering is end Aug/beginning Sept and I realise the weather will not be as good as the Med at that time. :(.

I went to the Baltics in late July 2012 and had fantastic weather (I incorrectly thought Baltic meant freezing!!) - depends what's most important for your holiday, but the ports you get to visit make it really worthwhile.

Jackie, we went to the Baltic late August /early September and the weather was good. Only one wet day in Oslo, but still not cold. It is a great cruise, wouldn't mind going again :D

Yes we've been to the Baltic on several occasions - all of them iirc late August or into September - somethimes the second/third week of September and we've always been really lucky with the weather. Not necessarily hot (although it was once 30C as we sailed on seas like a mirror!) but very pleasant. Of course you can't rely on the weather but the history, culture, mind-blowing palaces and buildings and beautiful cities are well worth it! We love the area. Like you Linda - I'd be happy to go back again.

This poster has cruised with both Thomson and Celebrity and in my very humble opinion think that Celebrity wins in every way.

But only my opinion of course others will disagree.

In that case of course I respect your opinion. I was simply comparing the shows on the two. I would agree that Celebrity is better overall but it was your disbelief about my preference for the shows which was my sole issue (which even someone else picked up as 'rude'). I take it you just don't like that kind of thing as I've yet to see or hear of a cruise line with better production shows in terms of quality of performers, choreography etc. Peel are renowned as excellent providers.

I was just confused that you had started a thread enquiring about Majesty (I therefore assumed you weren't familiar with the ship) then subsequently passed opinions about her on a different thread. As you hadn't previously contributed to the Thomson forum or Celebrity for that matter over the years, I thought you were commenting primarily on the basis of reviews and the opinions of others' rather than personal experience in which case I felt such strong criticism of my views unfair.

I am not "loyal" to any cruise company. I simply book cruises on destination, fitting in with my holidays and price. The ship or company is of little importance really.

I talk to people all the time on ships and get told that they only cruise with Royal C or Celebrity or Thomson as they are "the best" ...then they tell me that they have only ever cruised with 2 companies. 10/12 cruises and maybe 10 with the same cruise line.

How do they know what is the best? There are dozens of cruise companies out there - try them all! How do you know that ****** line is better than &&&&& if you have not sailed on them? Apart from size and age there is no HUGE difference between them is there...............

Because we wanted a particular itinerary we did not go to Thomson shop, and chose Thomas Cook, the agent found the itinerary we wanted and it happened to be Celebrity. She did say that Celebrity was a little up market from Thomson and Celebrity sister RCI, but the cost is neither here nor there, so there cannot be a lot of difference, I think the real difference is when we talk about Azamara etc.

Must agree that Thomson entertainment will take some beating - but here goes.

Because we wanted a particular itinerary we did not go to Thomson shop, and chose Thomas Cook, the agent found the itinerary we wanted and it happened to be Celebrity. She did say that Celebrity was a little up market from Thomson and Celebrity sister RCI, but the cost is neither here nor there, so there cannot be a lot of difference, I think the real difference is when we talk about Azamara etc.

Must agree that Thomson entertainment will take some beating - but here goes.

Have a great time - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I often say I wish I could put together 'all the best bits' from each ship we've been on - perhaps that's what you get with the luxury lines - but in the meantime we make the most of each experience and have enjoyed every one but of course we do draw comparisons! :D:rolleyes:

But do let us know how you find it. I'm always interested to hear the about the pluses and minuses - but hopefully there will be few of the latter! ;)

Just (today) booked with Fred for Iceland from Liverpool (12/07/15 - 11 nights) as no Thomson ex-UK this year.

First time with another line. Should be interesting.

Anyone been on Black Watch? Would like to hear your views.

Booked through Saga's "Cruise World" brochure where they sell other lines cruises with the usual Saga extras (transport to port, included insurance, Saga rep on board) but not such high prices as Saga's own cruises. They also sell MSC, Celebrity and Azamara cruises in this way.

http://www.Saga.co.uk/cruiseworld

(Free AI on Fred cruises booked via Saga.)

We are looking at Saga for 2015 as Ray going to have mobility issues and it is the transport to the port as well as cruises up Norway that are attractive. Loved Spirit Fire and Ice in August, and want to do Norway again.

Yes, we've done Norway and Arctic several times on Spirit in recent years and will miss her sailing these routes. Our favourite Thomson ship (and Cruise Director).

Malc.

Just (today) booked with Fred for Iceland from Liverpool (12/07/15 - 11 nights) as no Thomson ex-UK this year.

First time with another line. Should be interesting.

Anyone been on Black Watch? Would like to hear your views.

Booked through Saga's "Cruise World" brochure where they sell other lines cruises with the usual Saga extras (transport to port, included insurance, Saga rep on board) but not such high prices as Saga's own cruises. They also sell MSC, Celebrity and Azamara cruises in this way.

www.Saga.co.uk/cruiseworld

(Free AI on Fred cruises booked via Saga.)

Sounds like a good deal. We loved Iceland. Enjoy!

Yes, we've done Norway and Arctic several times on Spirit in recent years and will miss her sailing these routes. Our favourite Thomson ship (and Cruise Director).

Malc.

Agree Richard and the showteam fantastic. We enjoyed them again on Spirit in October in the Med.

• 2 weeks later...