Azura Reviews

Judith Chalmers 48

I know what you mean Judith - and I feel a little guilty of not writing a review of my cruise on Azura last June. I went on her very much against my instincts but was taking a friend who wanted to try cruising for the first time, and the itinerary, timing and cost was right at the time.

Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed Azura. True, we didn't worry too much about queuing to get into the shows, and on the 2 nights we did go, we just slipped into a couple of seats a few minutes before the start without any problem. We weren't bothered about lounging around the main pool area - and always found sun loungers elsewhere on the ship. We didn't rush to get to the buffet area at peak times , so rarely had a problem. The buffet food was nothing special but was adequate - usually hot, sufficient choice. The food in the MDR ( we were on club, second sitting) surprised me too...what we had was tasty, hot , the vegetables matched the meat/fish, plenty of choice and on the one occasion where I really was not enamoured with my meal, was immediately offered something else. It's not "fine dining" but so what? the portion sizes are perfectly adequate for any normal person ( although probably not enough for some people who seem to want to stuff themselves stupid all day). We tried Sindhu, The Glass House and XVII and were very impressed. We had lovely lunches in the glasshouse several times. We weren't quite so impressed with the MDR for lunch as we felt a bit rushed at times, and didn't find the waiting staff quite so friendly but I guess that's because they were so busy.

The downside, if there was one, to be honest , was the attitude and behaviour of some - albeit a minority - of the passengers. I have never seen such rudeness from some, and the foul language coming out of the mouths of the young couple in the next door cabin (heard when out on the balcony) was something else. And they had 2 pre-school age children with them.... On the other hand we met some lovely people too.

The ship was spotlessly clean, the cabin and our waiters in the MDR were very efficient and friendly .

So...the upshot is I am booked on Azura again for this year and this time I am going with DH and six other friends. I am sure we will enjoy ourselves as we will simply find the areas of the ship we like to be in and around and avoid the more crowded areas. We are not bothered about spending the evening in the "pub" which is always crowded - we prefer the relative peacefulness of the Planet bar. There is something for everyone I believe, but there will always be some who will look for , and find fault with anything and everything. Sad.

I liked aspects of the Azura, but just couldn't love her like I do the medium sized ships.

There are nearly 1000 more passengers than on Oriana or Aurora, but not significantly more deck or public room space. This does affect the atmosphere onboard as it is always more crowded. There are queues for everything and on the medium sized ships there are not.

There is a greater choice of dining and entertainment venues, but more crowding.

I have been on Azura twice. Given a similar itinerary, I would go for Oceana, Oriana, or Aurora every time.

• 2 weeks later...
I know what you mean Judith - and I feel a little guilty of not writing a review of my cruise on Azura last June. I went on her very much against my instincts but was taking a friend who wanted to try cruising for the first time, and the itinerary, timing and cost was right at the time.

Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed Azura. True, we didn't worry too much about queuing to get into the shows, and on the 2 nights we did go, we just slipped into a couple of seats a few minutes before the start without any problem. We weren't bothered about lounging around the main pool area - and always found sun loungers elsewhere on the ship. We didn't rush to get to the buffet area at peak times , so rarely had a problem. The buffet food was nothing special but was adequate - usually hot, sufficient choice. The food in the MDR ( we were on club, second sitting) surprised me too...what we had was tasty, hot , the vegetables matched the meat/fish, plenty of choice and on the one occasion where I really was not enamoured with my meal, was immediately offered something else. It's not "fine dining" but so what? the portion sizes are perfectly adequate for any normal person ( although probably not enough for some people who seem to want to stuff themselves stupid all day). We tried Sindhu, The Glass House and XVII and were very impressed. We had lovely lunches in the glasshouse several times. We weren't quite so impressed with the MDR for lunch as we felt a bit rushed at times, and didn't find the waiting staff quite so friendly but I guess that's because they were so busy.

The downside, if there was one, to be honest , was the attitude and behaviour of some - albeit a minority - of the passengers. I have never seen such rudeness from some, and the foul language coming out of the mouths of the young couple in the next door cabin (heard when out on the balcony) was something else. And they had 2 pre-school age children with them.... On the other hand we met some lovely people too.

The ship was spotlessly clean, the cabin and our waiters in the MDR were very efficient and friendly .

So...the upshot is I am booked on Azura again for this year and this time I am going with DH and six other friends. I am sure we will enjoy ourselves as we will simply find the areas of the ship we like to be in and around and avoid the more crowded areas. We are not bothered about spending the evening in the "pub" which is always crowded - we prefer the relative peacefulness of the Planet bar. There is something for everyone I believe, but there will always be some who will look for , and find fault with anything and everything. Sad.

Well said!!!! we were on Azura in Feb 2014 our first cruise and loved it , like all holidays sometimes things are not always as you would like , but sitting on your balcony either eating your breakfast or having a pre dinner glass of wine that you brought on board whilst viewing some Caribbean island makes up for anything else , roll on March 2016 back on Azura ( Med cruise with Celebrity to do first )

We were on Azura at Christmas and went with an open mind having read lots of negative reviews. We absolutely loved the ship and despite it being Xmas didn't experience any queuing at all. We were freedom dining and only had a pager 3 times with a wait of about 10/15mins max. Service and food was of a good standard and every meal we had was hot and menu choices were good with the back up classic choices as an option if nothing appealed. We made a point of trying things we had not had before and were not disappointed. Loved planet bar, music and staff great. Blue bar good for a bit of people watching!

We are sun worshippers and didn't struggle for a lounger on any of the sea days and the waiters were very attentive around the ship meaning you rarely ever waited to be served.

The presents for the adults on Xmas Eve was a little bonus and a nice keepsake to remind us of our cruise. We will (I hope) be on Azura again in the future.

That's nice to read positive things about Azura they have been pretty bad of late and I think it's probably fair to say it isn't P&O most favourite ship ,but I'm going on her soon and I'll go with a positive attitude so I'm certain I'll fully enjoy my holiday .

That's nice to read positive things about Azura they have been pretty bad of late and I think it's probably fair to say it isn't P&O most favourite ship ,but I'm going on her soon and I'll go with a positive attitude so I'm certain I'll fully enjoy my holiday .

The bad reports I have read recently all revolve around the fellow passengers. Clearly those writing the reports have got themselves upset about a small group of fellow passengers on that one cruise. In that bad mood lots of other things about the cruise and the ship look bad as well.

As ever the only important review of the ship is yours and if you go with the aim of having a great time then that's what you will have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Azura at Christmas and went with an open mind having read lots of negative reviews. We absolutely loved the ship and despite it being Xmas didn't experience any queuing at all. We were freedom dining and only had a pager 3 times with a wait of about 10/15mins max. Service and food was of a good standard and every meal we had was hot and menu choices were good with the back up classic choices as an option if nothing appealed. We made a point of trying things we had not had before and were not disappointed. Loved planet bar' date=' music and staff great. Blue bar good for a bit of people watching!

We are sun worshippers and didn't struggle for a lounger on any of the sea days and the waiters were very attentive around the ship meaning you rarely ever waited to be served.

The presents for the adults on Xmas Eve was a little bonus and a nice keepsake to remind us of our cruise. We will (I hope) be on Azura again in the future.[/quote']

Thanks for your comments, we are on azura at Christmas this year, we have been on Oceana and Ventura, and had tiny little issues - again mostly regarding people, but we tried not to let it ruin our holiday.

We were on Azura three times last year and on each occasion we all had a great time. Food, entertainment, everything was first class.

On one of the cruises we had with us some first time Azura cruisers and they too had a great time. We had seen some of the entertainers before and the shows but that is expected when you cruise regularly and we either saw things again or did alternative things.

Each if us have our own personal views, preferences and are quite entitled to voice them. However it does get a bit boring to view so many gripes about quite minor things. The sharing of useful information should be uppermost on this forum unless of course there are serious and major issues. ?

I would say please consider how lucky we all are to have the financial means and physical ability to enjoy what cruising offers - the list is endless and varied. There are many who would so love to have a holiday let alone a cruise.

I appreciate so much every day of good health (having had some health worries in the past) I also value the fact that we can afford to cruise. (Endured some hard financial times years ago). So life is too short to waste time and thoughts with so much negativity which can really rub off on others and make you miserable.

Lots of smileys to share with all us lucky cruisers

:):);):p

Each if us have our own personal views, preferences and are quite entitled to voice them. However it does get a bit boring to view so many gripes about quite minor things. The sharing of useful information should be uppermost on this forum unless of course there are serious and major issues. ?

I would say please consider how lucky we all are to have the financial means and physical ability to enjoy what cruising offers - the list is endless and varied. There are many who would so love to have a holiday let alone a cruise.

I appreciate so much every day of good health (having had some health worries in the past) I also value the fact that we can afford to cruise. (Endured some hard financial times years ago). So life is too short to waste time and thoughts with so much negativity which can really rub off on others and make you miserable.

"like" :)

We have cruised twice on Azura, the last time for 17 days. Of course she's not perfect, nothing ever is, but we had a great holiday and got good value for money. We certainly did not come across the type of person that has been described in some reviews.

Thank you for your positive comment sunny seas!

I too, am grateful for many things and also for the fact that I have a wonderful holiday to look forward to when my husband and I cruise away to the Baltics on the Azura in June 2015. I think that everyone enjoys things in different ways and some people look for problems where there are none. Alcohol can also be a factor in the lack of enjoyment of some people. Too much booze causes problems for the drinker and the recipients of the drinker's temper when things don't go his or her way. I consider myself a positive person and prefer to see the positive in things rather than the negative and I can't wait to board the Azura and start enjoying my holiday. I know that I'll have a great time!

Hi,

I was on the New Year cruise and loved it! I am going to write a full review soon but generally everything was good, a couple of minor things not good but it certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of the cruise/holiday.

On the last day of the cruise someone said the "food was awful" and when I asked them to elaborate as I quite enjoyed it, their reply was "no silver service and everything was smothered in gravy". I commented that no silver service didn't detract from the food quality and as for gravy, do as my wife did and ask for gravy to come separately as she didn't like much, if any. They also moaned about a few other things so I left them to it!

Steve

Hi,

I was on the New Year cruise and loved it! I am going to write a full review soon but generally everything was good, a couple of minor things not good but it certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of the cruise/holiday.

On the last day of the cruise someone said the "food was awful" and when I asked them to elaborate as I quite enjoyed it, their reply was "no silver service and everything was smothered in gravy". I commented that no silver service didn't detract from the food quality and as for gravy, do as my wife did and ask for gravy to come separately as she didn't like much, if any. They also moaned about a few other things so I left them to it!

Steve

My wife always asks for more gravy as she says they never put enough on!

We've been on the Azura twice and both times have had a great time. The only criticism I have is that it's always difficult to find a seat at the buffet breakfast but that's a criticism that could be made of any ship I've been on.

• 2 months later...

We are hoping to do the 28 night cruise for Xmas/new Year 2016 Eastern Caribbean. We are wife, husband & hubbies brother. Which cabin/s do you think would be best. We have cruised before and we all get on well. Thank you.

I am getting fed up of reading so many negative reviews of Azura, although to be honest I like to make my own mind up. How does anyone else feel about such negativity??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It annoys me as much as it does you Judith C. We go on a cruise with the intention of enjoying ourselves and we think Azura is really beautiful with a great range of activities and an array of eating and entertainment venues. I think the problem is that traditional cruisers prefer the medium sized ships and also some people just like moaning. You've read their review about Azura but maybe they moan just as much every time they cruise. We once cruised with a couple who told us they had hated every minute of our cruise on Oceana to the Caribbean, New Orleans and Florida (can you believe they said that with such a fab itinerary??) but whilst on the cruise they booked for the following year to the Caribbean and Panama Canal on the same ship! That is a true story and I know because we met them the following year and they moaned just as much. I think some people enjoy cruising because they get to moan on the ship then boast to their friends at home about all the places they've visited.

We are hoping to do the 28 night cruise for Xmas/new Year 2016 Eastern Caribbean. We are wife, husband & hubbies brother. Which cabin/s do you think would be best. We have cruised before and we all get on well. Thank you.

Our fave cabins are at the aft on B deck especially the corner cabins and then the ones next door. They all have brill balconies and a view of the wake and where you are. Failing that I'd go for a C deck balcony. Great big balconies, partly shaded and partly open.

Edited by tartanexile81

We have been on Azura twice and enjoyed both cruises and we will be on her again next month with every intention of enjoying her again. Yes, she is not perfect but we have never had any real reason to moan.

We go on holiday with the mind set that we will enjoy ourselves and we will not let little niggles get to us, we also avoid school holidays as much as possible so perhaps it is for these reasons that we don't have major issues. The only P&O ship that we have problems on was Ventura during the school holidays but we have re-visited her and had a great time.

We all need to relax and learn to ignore minor issues and be grateful for our good fortune in being able to go on any cruise.

I have been on the azura and the ventura and found that the destination can have big impact on the ships atmosphere. The trip to the fjords had a totally different set of passengers to to the med cruise. Both were in school holidays but the med cruise attracted a different demographic. I found there was a lot more drinking and obviously the sun decks were more packed on the med cruise.

I did prefer the fjords experience and we are due to go on the Azura in May back there. I loved the azura and have loved all my cruises with P&O. The entertainment is great on the ships. We went on the carnival Baltics cruise a couple of years ago. Great value for money, but entertainment was dire!

We did 2 weeks on Azura in March around the Caribbean, we last sailed on Azura in 2013. We had a fabulous time, the ship was great and we couldn't understwnd why people have been moaning about her looking tired. She carries over 3000 passengers, she is bound to have a little wear and tear but nothing which caused us any concern. We had fantastic waiters on club dining and our cabin steward was brilliant..all the staff we met were chatty and happy, but we find if you make an effort with them, they do the same with you.

We were booked on Britannia next March but transferred it to another Azura Caribbean cruise whilst on board.

The food was good (we avoid the buffet though) we found the wine waiters not being there actually improved the wine service (not sure it's the same on freedom dining thiugh), the only things which disappointed us was the outside entertainment in the evenings, there was very little of it and thr musicians in board were pretty averaged with the exception of Nexus who were great.

No problem here in recommending Azura to anyone! Then again we found the same on Oriana last year, we had a great time but my goodness the moaners!

Hi MM

We are off to Iceland in June 2016 on Azura and are really looking forward to it. We have only sampled the medium ships so far, but look forward to a new experience.

We particularly love the Crow's Nest on our previous ships, but look forward to investigating the equivalent on Azura.

I am getting fed up of reading so many negative reviews of Azura, although to be honest I like to make my own mind up. How does anyone else feel about such negativity??

I was feeling exactly the same way prior to our 2013 Iberian cruise on Azura and was really wondering whether I'd made a huge mistake, but we decided to make up our own minds and had a lovely holiday. I didn't love Azura the way I did Aurora, which we cruised on in 2012, but we would all sail on Azura again if the price and itinerary were right. There were one or two little niggles on Azura, but then there were on Aurora too. We felt the entertainment on our Aurora cruise wasn't up to much, or not to our taste and we had truly awful, rude MDR waiters. Occasionally the food left something to be desired on Azura (this was towards the end of the silver service system), the sea screen didn't work properly when we went to watch a film in the evenings and a couple of other things, but overall it was great.

Go and have a lovely time.

I am getting fed up of reading so many negative reviews of Azura, although to be honest I like to make my own mind up. How does anyone else feel about such negativity?

It is annoying. I haven't found anything to complain about on Azura. Trying hard to think of something...but nothing comes to mind!!

I think the staff do an amazing job keeping us happy and entertained despite being run off their feet most of the time and I love the ship itself.

Think the new multicoloured hull might take a bit of getting used to although at least it doesn't look as gaudy as other ships I have seen in some ports.

As long as they don't stop putting out the daily crossword...I might be a bit miffed about that!:D

Edited by starryuk