Open Dining?

Staying Focused

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Each line has their own name for things. I am assuming that Open Dining on your cruise would mean that you go to dinner when you wish. On most lines, you have a choice of sitting alone with your traveling companions or sharing with others. When a table is available for you, you will be seated. Sometimes it is immediately. Sometimes there is a wait. Some lines will give you a beeper if there is a delay.

We are on Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas. Will they seat us at our own table or with others? I'm assuming it depends on how busy they are??

You may ask to have a table for two or you can be seated with others who have just sat down. The choice is yours. :) On Royal, it is called My Time Dining.

Have fun.

We are on Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas. Will they seat us at our own table or with others? I'm assuming it depends on how busy they are??

It is up to you. If you wish a table for two just say so. If you wish to share with others, say so. Sometimes there are backups for people wanting a table for two.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done assigned seating and opened seating. We like open seating for the following reasons. 1. If we feel like siting alone we just tell them we don't want to share the table. 2. And most important, we love meeting new people, but, sometimes you may not care for the people you are sitting with and this saves you from having to sit with them again. If you do like the people you get seated you, you can make reservations for a certain time with the ones you like. We have done that several times.

Bill

We have done both and prefer open seating. We are a family of 3 and with open dining we have always been sat at a table for four with just the three of us. Then with assigned seating we are always put at a table for six with another party of 3, which has sometimes been not so pleasant and we ended up using the main dining room less than we usually would. We also love the flexibility of going when we want based on our schedule for the day and not worrying about a set dining time.

Royal calls it MTD..My Time Dining.

you may request to sit alone or with others, or even just show up with a group of people and be seated

I love it, it took away all the negatives in the dinner process for me. It is 'normal', you eat when hungry and not at a specified time. Some days I am up early and ready to eat dinner early. On others I am up late which results in a late lunch meaning I want dinner late. Add to that I can just dine with my wife instead of a group of strangers takes it over the top.

Edited by ray98

• 2 months later...

An addition to my original question... I've been reading about people making reservations with MTD. Is this something you have to do once you get on board? Can you also request a specific area/table? Its just the two of us and we would like to sit alone by a window. What is the likelihood if this happening every night?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Staying Focused

An addition to my original question... I've been reading about people making reservations with MTD. Is this something you have to do once you get on board? Can you also request a specific area/table? Its just the two of us and we would like to sit alone by a window. What is the likelihood if this happening every night?

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

with MTD the default is you will sit alone with just your party.

getting a table by a window is not likely however. furthermore, the tables are EXTREMELY close to one another so there really is no true privacy.

you can ask for a window table, but you will probably find there is not any real advantage to getting one.

More like how long you're prepared to wait ;)

If you are prepared to share (try it a time or two) you'll be seated pretty-well immediately.

But two-tops tend to be in demand, you may have to wait for one to be available - I don't know this ship, mebbe they'll give you a buzzer, mebbe they'll give you a time to come back. Or mebbe, all a matter of luck, you'll be seated immediately.

Do others know whether you can pre-book a table on this ship?

We like meeting folk, we prefer to share. But we ask that it be with folk who speak English.

If on the ship you hook up with another couple you can go to the dining room as a foursome.

JB :)