Booking 2 or more cruises sailing the same week?

KookyGuava

I know that I want to sail a particular week this coming September. I’m still deciding on which cruise, but I have narrowed it down to a few possible itineraries. I would like to take advantage of sales/promotions and lock down a preferred stateroom location by booking the three or four cruises I’m interested in. Is there a disadvantage to booking more than one cruise for the same week? I realize I’ll have to put a deposit down for each cruise (I’m hoping to minimize this with reduced/no deposit promotions). But once I decide on a cruise, and cancel all the others before final payment is due, in theory I should be fine, right?

I recently found out that the reduced on-board deposit on Royal are NOT refundable if you cancel. You can rebook on a different cruise without penalty. I don't believe I was told that by the on-board future cruise person. This was not a future certificate, but just an on-board booking with reduced deposit.

I know that I want to sail a particular week this coming September. I’m still deciding on which cruise, but I have narrowed it down to a few possible itineraries. I would like to take advantage of sales/promotions and lock down a preferred stateroom location by booking the three or four cruises I’m interested in. Is there a disadvantage to booking more than one cruise for the same week? I realize I’ll have to put a deposit down for each cruise (I’m hoping to minimize this with reduced/no deposit promotions). But once I decide on a cruise, and cancel all the others before final payment is due, in theory I should be fine, right?

If you wish to purchase insurance that includes pre-existing conditions (perhaps an aged family member might have some health issues that could cause you to come home early ?), many policies require you buy it within a set number of days after first deposit. Insurance premiums are not refundable.

I wonder if you have given any thought to holding up 3 or 4 cabins knowing you will only use one but while you hold them someone else who would like that cabin cannot book it. Imagine if everyone here on CC did that? How many of us would have trouble trying to book the ship/cruise/cabin we want. :eek: Maybe you could compromise and think of those other people and choose between two????? :cool:

Edited by sail7seas

Be sure the deposit is fully refundable. Sometimes a cruise line or a TA will specify a deposit is not refundable.

I am not sure if a cruise line will notice and object if two or more are with them.

If OP wants to hold cabins for more than one cruise within the same cruise line, it seems possible the computer could kick out the booking.

I wonder if you have given any thought to holding up 3 or 4 cabins knowing you will only use one but while you hold them someone else who would like that cabin cannot book it. Imagine if everyone here on CC did that? How many of us would have trouble trying to book the ship/cruise/cabin we want. :eek: Maybe you could compromise and think of those other people and choose between two????? :cool:

That was my thought too. So often there are people here complaining that the category of cabin they want appears to be sold out months in advance as it is. It really doesn't need people holding on to several cabins when they only intend ending up with just one.

Exactly my thought.

Sort of like the people who make reservations at numerous restaurants, then cancel all but one at the last minute and shutting out someone else getting a reservation.

Exactly my thought.

Sort of like the people who make reservations at numerous restaurants, then cancel all but one at the last minute and shutting out someone else getting a reservation.

Restaurants catch on to those who do that very quickly and they get shut out. It seems so selfish to not be able to choose where you want dinner and take up tables others could be enjoying. Not very nice to restaurant staff nor other customers.

Edited by sail7seas

Interesting strategy. I have no idea if it will work or not but before you try it make sure the the deposits are fully refundable and realize you are holding cabins that other early bird cruisers might want. It would not affect me of course because I always book late. So those 'held' cabins of yours might come back on the market at just the right time for us last minute types. ;)

If you do try it please come back at let us know how you did.

Hmmm, with these low deposit offerings if I book a cruise a week in 2016 there might be a possibility of me actually being able to use one. 52 weeks X $25 per deposit = $1,300. With interest rates at 1% those deposits will cost me $13 for all of 2015, $20 or so until final payment. Hmmm????

Honey, GET CELEBRITY ON THE PHONE!!!!!!!

Edited by DirtyDawg

Sometimes I have a sense a poster is 'thinking on paper' when they post a question here. I almost do not expect to see them return and wonder if they even read the responses. OP might just have wanted to write her thoughts in order to organize her choices.

Sometimes I have a sense a poster is 'thinking on paper' when they post a question here. I almost do not expect to see them return and wonder if they even read the responses. OP might just have wanted to write her thoughts in order to organize her choices.

They were lurking yesterday.;)

Years ago we went on a Carnival Cruise where we got a super saver(ish) price but I think this locked us in. Perhaps the OP's plan is not new. Cruise lines will not like this and if this becomes common place soon it will not be to one's advantage to book multiple ships leaving the same week from the same or nearby port.;)

Interesting,

How do you know that? :confused:

Just click on a person's name and it will show the last time they've been on CC whether they posted or not. I suppose if a person is not signed in, it won't show the most recent activity. Only discovered this when I was looking for a friend to see if they were on CC at the time.:)

Just click on a person's name and it will show the last time they've been on CC whether they posted or not. I suppose if a person is not signed in, it won't show the most recent activity. Only discovered this when I was looking for a friend to see if they were on CC at the time.:)

Learn something new here everyday. :) Thanks.