Need visa if just connecting thru Asian airports?

ajaxup

I'm starting to look at ways to fly from Dallas Texas to Singapore next fall. Looks like what ever airline we end up flying we will have to take connecting flights from either Seoul, Tokyo or Hong Kong to get to Singapore. Do we need any kind of visa to get off and board another flight at these airports or will we remain customs free since we are remaining in the passenger area of the terminal (I assume)? Thanks for any info.:confused:

I'm starting to look at ways to fly from Dallas Texas to Singapore next fall. Looks like what ever airline we end up flying we will have to take connecting flights from either Seoul, Tokyo or Hong Kong to get to Singapore. Do we need any kind of visa to get off and board another flight at these airports or will we remain customs free since we are remaining in the passenger area of the terminal (I assume)? Thanks for any info.:confused:

No visa required...just transfer through security again to departure gates. You only require your onward boarding pass.

No visa is required for all three if you are in transit.

If in transit you may be required to go through security as the arrival and departure at some of these airports are at different levels or terminals.

Example for Narita/Tokyo you arrive a Gate 45 (lower level) and depart from Gate 48 (upper level). Because arrival and departure are at different levels you will need to go through security.

Edited by Philob

No visa is required for all three if you are in transit.

If in transit you may be required to go through security as the arrival and departure at some of these airports are at different levels or terminals.

Example for Narita/Tokyo you arrive a Gate 45 (lower level) and depart from Gate 48 (upper level). Because arrival and departure are at different levels you will need to go through security.

Your example Narita...is this for all airlines...so I can't take my bottled water with me from one DL to a connecting DL flight :confused:

Your example Narita...is this for all airlines...so I can't take my bottled water with me from one DL to a connecting DL flight :confused:

That's correct...you have to go through security again. (water goes bye bye...cigarette lighters goes bye bye) There is only a few airports in the world that mix inbound / outbound passengers. Singapore is an example of this...security is at the individual gate...not at a central point.

Yep. Should hear the moans n groans from the people who purchased the inflight duty free liquor. The FAs gave fair warning too.

In HKG (US bound) I purchased a couple of bottles of water for the family post-security. (SQ skimps a bit with the water in the back of the plane, water is served in applesauce containers.) Our water was confiscated at a second check point in front of the plane's door.

Yep. Should hear the moans n groans from the people who purchased the inflight duty free liquor. The FAs gave fair warning too.

In HKG (US bound) I purchased a couple of bottles of water for the family post-security. (SQ skimps a bit with the water in the back of the plane, water is served in applesauce containers.) Our water was confiscated at a second check point in front of the plane's door.

This also happened to us (and my newly purchased bottle of water) connecting in Beijing for our US bound flight...and was surprised...so thanks for the heads up on Narita.

As an American, you do not need a visa even if you decide to visit so certainly not to transit.

Not correct.

Japan, South Korea, and Hong Kong require visas for nearly anyone who visits there.

But most nationalities - including Americans - are automatically granted visas as they enter these countries.

Those Visas (usually 90 days) are stamped into your passport as you clear Immigration.

If you stay in the transit areas of the airports there, you rarely need to go through Immigration and are able board the next flight without legally entering the country.

Hence no visa required.

Not correct.

Japan, South Korea, and Hong Kong require visas for nearly anyone who visits there.

But most nationalities - including Americans - are automatically granted visas as they enter these countries.

Those Visas (usually 90 days) are stamped into your passport as you clear Immigration.

If you stay in the transit areas of the airports there, you rarely need to go through Immigration and are able board the next flight without legally entering the country.

Hence no visa required.

Sorry Bruce but I stand by my statement.

For one thing, many countries do not stamp passports anymore. For one, Hong Kong stopped stamping passports some time ago. For Japan and Korea I forget.

I am not sure if you have been to these countries, but I have many times. But don't just rely on me, check these official government sources.

Hong Kong: here is the list of nationalities who can visit HK "visa-free": http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/hk-visas/visit-transit/visit-visa-entry-permit.html

South Korea: list of 102 countries that have a visa exemption: http://www.mofa.go.kr/ENG/visa/application/index.jsp?menu=m_40_10

Japan: 67 countries have a visa exemption: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html

Obviously these exemptions are for visitors which is what this forum is about and not long term strays such as for work or studying that obviously need a visa. A "visa exemption" or "visa free" means that a visa is not required.

I live in Japan and China - and I carry an American passport.

Every time I enter either country, a new entry visa is stamped into my passport.

Every time I exit either country, an exit visa is stamped into my passport.

I often transit South Korea between my two homes.

Every time I enter South Korea, a new entry visa is stamped into my passport.

Every time I exit South Korea, a new exit visa is stamped into my passport.

When I get a new passport, they automatically give me the 150 page model.

I usually fill that one up in just a few years.

I am forced to get a new passport after that - even though it is not expired.

I live in Japan and China - and I carry an American passport.

Every time I enter either country, a new entry visa is stamped into my passport.

Every time I exit either country, an exit visa is stamped into my passport.

I often transit South Korea between my two homes.

Every time I enter South Korea, a new entry visa is stamped into my passport.

Every time I exit South Korea, a new exit visa is stamped into my passport.

A stamp in your passport on entry is usually not an entry visa, and a stamp in your passport on exit is usually not an exit visa.

A visa is something different, even though the lines are slightly blurred in some countries where you can obtain a (true) visa on arrival as an alternative to getting one in advance.

My passport is stamped every time I arrive in the US, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa (amongst other places) yet I can assure you that I do not need or get a visa to visit any of these countries.

vi·sa

noun \ˈvē-zə also -sə\

: an official mark or stamp on a passport that allows someone to enter or leave a country usually for a particular reason

When I enter Japan with my American passport, I receive a stamp in my passport (similar to a postage stamp) that lists the date of my arrival and the number of days I am permitted to legally remain in Japan. This is my entry visa.

When I depart Japan my passport is stamped (with an ink stamp) with an exit visa that verifies I legally departed the country before my entry visa expired.

When I enter China with my American passport, I already have a large multi-entry decal visa in my passport that allows me entry into China. But I also receive a visa stamp (with an ink stamp) that activates (or re-activates) my multi-entry visa, signifying the date I was allowed entry and the number of days I am legally allowed to remain in China.

When I depart China, my passport is stamped (with ink again) with an exit visa, signifying that I have not overstayed my entry visa.

When I enter Hong Kong with my American passport, I am usually joining a ship. After I show my employment letter and my American passport to the Immigration Officials, they telephone the ship's agent to verify my story. An hour later they stamp my passport with an entry visa (usually good only for the time the ship is in Hong Kong waters).

Once aboard the ship, my crew officer presents my passport to Hong Kong Immigration Officials, who stamp it with an exit visa, signifying that I have legally departed Hong Kong on a cruise ship.

Edited by BruceMuzz

When I enter Japan with my American passport, I receive a stamp in my passport (similar to a postage stamp) that lists the date of my arrival and the number of days I am permitted to legally remain in Japan. This is my entry visa.

When I depart Japan my passport is stamped (with an ink stamp) with an exit visa that verifies I legally departed the country before my entry visa expired.

These are not visas.

That is why the official webpages of the immigration departments that TravelMore&More linked to say:-

• "Visa free period for visit not exceeding" (Hong Kong)
  • "Nationals of those countries or regions with which Korea has signed a visa waiver agreement can enter without a visa ..." (Korea)
  • "Nationals and citizens of those countries and regions shown below are not required to obtain visas to enter Japan ..." (Japan)

Quoting a definition found in some internet dictionary doesn't help those who are seeking advice here about what is and is not a visa, and when a visa is or is not required. It just confuses matters.

In contrast, if you were to search the official IATA database that is used by airlines to determine who they can and cannot allow onto a flight for passport and visa reasons, you'd see the following corresponding entries for US nationals, all stating that a visa is not required:-

National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)

Destination Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Hong Kong (SAR China) (HK)

Passport required.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid for at least 1 month beyond the period of intended stay.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents issued by Hong Kong (SAR China) must be valid on arrival.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of Hong Kong (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card.

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months for nationals of USA.

Visa required, except for Holders of:

- travel documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department, endorsed with "Holder's eligibility for Hong Kong

(SAR China) Permanent Identity Card verified ; or

- a Hong Kong (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card.

Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next

destination.

Warning:

- Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused entry.

Destination Korea (Rep.) (KR)

Korea (Rep.) (KR)

Passport required.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid on arrival.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 90 days:

Additional Information:

- Holders of e-visas are required to hold an Electronic Visa Issuance Confirmation, issued by the Ministry of Justice.

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination

Destination Japan (JP)

Japan (JP)

Passport required.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid on arrival.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 90 days:

Minors:

- Minors not holding own passports, included in their parent/legal guardian's passport, are accepted if traveling together with the parent/guardian.

Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

- Valid visas in expired passports can be used provided passenger carries a valid passport, which must be officially bound with the expired one.

Warning:

- Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused entry.

vi·sa

noun \ˈvē-zə also -sə\

: an official mark or stamp on a passport that allows someone to enter or leave a country usually for a particular reason

End Quote

I cannot address Immigration issues in China, HX or Korea, however, in Japan the Immigration officials at ports of entry are basically "border control." Their job is to decide if arriving passengers meet the necessary criteria to be allowed entry into the country.

Tourists are generally given "90 days, visa-free" with a stamp on their passport and then a "date of entry stamp. This does not constitute a visa.

Visa holders must have a still valid visa and the second portion of their landing card must be still stapled to their passport and properly filled out. Further, they must have re-entry permission in the form of a valid re-entry permit or the new microchipped Immigration card. If everything is in order, they are given a simple "date of entry" stamp.

If you are receiving a stamp on your passport that gives you X number of days to be in Japan, then you are entering as a tourist and not as a resident with a valid visa. The Immigration officials at ports of entry do not/cannot issue visas or impose conditions on the length of stay for a visa holder. Visa issuance and length of stay are handled by a completely different section in the Immigration system.

You do not need an exit visa to leave Japan. There is no need to petition Immigration for permission to leave. You can depart any time you like and will simply receive a dated "departed" stamp to show when you left.

Possibly, you are confusing "permission to enter as a tourist" with having been granted a visa.

Many thanks to Globaliser for logical, clear and concise posts. You said it much better than I could have.

Kate

Often people refer to the stamp as a visa. This is obviously not what we are talking about here. The discussion is about the requirements that one needs to fill before entering the country, such as applying for a visa at the embassy.

To say that one needs a visa to enter HK is just trying to confuse people by playing with words. He is just trying to be cute.

He is just wasting our time and confusing the less informed travelers.