Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

How fabulous to watch our beloved Queen Elizabeth transit The Panama. Thank you to the authorities down there for the web cams and allowing us all to enjoy this marvellous sight. How we wish we could be onboard ...

Have a great cruise everyone.

Can anyone tell me if the hair dryers in the cabin are near a mirror and are they any good??.... a girls gotta know these things.

I have really enjoyed reading about all your adventures and makes me excited to board her in Honolulu.

Cheers

Louise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Louise, The hair dryers are in a drawer in the desk and the mirror is directly in front of the desk. They aren't the world's most powerful dryers but they work fine for me and I'd rather use those than have a heavy object in my suitcase.

I am happy that you chose our hometown to visit before you board the wonderful QE. We have boarded here twice for world cruises and it is so easy when you are the only ones. Enjoy your stay in Waikiki.

Cheers, Patti

It is family dinner night so I missed QE going through the Miraflores dock but when I returned home this picture was frozen on my screen.

16382617871_4d9bfd1787_n.jpg

I also took a couple of screenshots before I went out. They are in the same album as my earlier ones.

Edited by Scrapnana

Thanks for the screen shots of QE going thru the Panama Canal! I was like you Kathi, trying to get all over the ship to get differing views.

Tues, 27 Jan (NOTE: I will probably be posting every two days to save on my dwindling internet time)

Woke up early to eat before this long day of watching the progression thru the

Panama Canal. We started out on Deck 6 forward at the side rail, which was a

pretty good vantage point. Deck 5, 6 & 7 forward were opened up for passengers to be able to view the Panama Canal and will be open until 5pm. These areas are normally for crew only. We watched there until 10 when we were exiting the Gatun Locks. Then we came to our cabin to view the cargo ship going thru the Gatun Locks on the left lock; we went thru the right side. Fascinating process and one not to be missed if you haven't seen it before. I wish I had watched more in depth, the presentation by Mr. Laverick, the Panama Canal expert. The sun was very hot today and of course we had forgotten our sunscreen and a bottle of water, so in the cabin we drank and drank. Then fell asleep for a short while.

Woke up just in time for my hot dog on the Aft Lido Grill! It was great!! We

grabbed a few of the loungers and sat near the starboard side where there was

the smallest sliver of shade. Had to make a quick run back to the cabin to

get sunscreen, hats and sunglasses. There were very short periods of clouds

that gave us a break from the strong sun and I was thankful! We managed a few cocktails and enjoyed the occasional commentary by Mr. Laverick explaining what we were seeing. We saw a dredger and that process...so amazing. He had said earlier that they needed to dredge up 4 feet for the expansion project and I assume that included this area as well. They had tables set up near the band stand selling Panama souvenirs..what a good idea. Of course I chose a pretty little Panama magnet for my collection. The also had t-shirts, sunglasses, beach bags, magnets, decorative wooden baskets, fans and other things. Most items ranged from $5-$15 I believe. Next we headed back to the shelter of our balcony for a bit. We received another invitation for our complimentary wine tasting (the first was during the TA but I was sick so we could not use that one). We may try this one...it is at 3:00pm in the Britannia Restaurant Deck 3. We don't know much about wine and don't drink very often, but thought that since this was complimentary, for Platinum WC members, we might give it a try. Nope, we did not go. Just now cleared the Pedro Miguel Lock (only a one step). In just a short while we will enter the last of the locks, the Miraflores Locks, which is a two step lock.

Headed to the Lido for dinner in the buffet section and the theme for tonight

was Mexican. The food was pretty tasty. The shows tonight were at 7 and 8:45 which is a change from the usual 8:30 and 10:30. It was called Vanity Fair and was billed as popular music, dance and culture of a bygone era. It was not our cup of tea so we left half way thru. Strolled around a little and then went to our cabin for the night. Took a look out the balcony and noticed we just passed by Panama City in the distance. Good night all.

Micanberra...thanks for the Happy Australia Day wishes! I did not catch the

information about the completion of the Canal Expansion...sorry!:o

Thanks for the screen shots of QE going thru the Panama Canal! I was like you Kathi, trying to get all over the ship to get differing views.

Tues, 27 Jan (NOTE: I will probably be posting every two days to save on my dwindling internet time)

Woke up early to eat before this long day of watching the progression thru the

Panama Canal. We started out on Deck 6 forward at the side rail, which was a

pretty good vantage point. Deck 5, 6 & 7 forward were opened up for passengers to be able to view the Panama Canal and will be open until 5pm. These areas are normally for crew only. We watched there until 10 when we were exiting the Gatun Locks. Then we came to our cabin to view the cargo ship going thru the Gatun Locks on the left lock; we went thru the right side. Fascinating process and one not to be missed if you haven't seen it before. I wish I had watched more in depth, the presentation by Mr. Laverick, the Panama Canal expert. The sun was very hot today and of course we had forgotten our sunscreen and a bottle of water, so in the cabin we drank and drank. Then fell asleep for a short while.

Woke up just in time for my hot dog on the Aft Lido Grill! It was great!! We

grabbed a few of the loungers and sat near the starboard side where there was

the smallest sliver of shade. Had to make a quick run back to the cabin to

get sunscreen, hats and sunglasses. There were very short periods of clouds

that gave us a break from the strong sun and I was thankful! We managed a few cocktails and enjoyed the occasional commentary by Mr. Laverick explaining what we were seeing. We saw a dredger and that process...so amazing. He had said earlier that they needed to dredge up 4 feet for the expansion project and I assume that included this area as well. They had tables set up near the band stand selling Panama souvenirs..what a good idea. Of course I chose a pretty little Panama magnet for my collection. The also had t-shirts, sunglasses, beach bags, magnets, decorative wooden baskets, fans and other things. Most items ranged from $5-$15 I believe. Next we headed back to the shelter of our balcony for a bit. We received another invitation for our complimentary wine tasting (the first was during the TA but I was sick so we could not use that one). We may try this one...it is at 3:00pm in the Britannia Restaurant Deck 3. We don't know much about wine and don't drink very often, but thought that since this was complimentary, for Platinum WC members, we might give it a try. Nope, we did not go. Just now cleared the Pedro Miguel Lock (only a one step). In just a short while we will enter the last of the locks, the Miraflores Locks, which is a two step lock.

Headed to the Lido for dinner in the buffet section and the theme for tonight

was Mexican. The food was pretty tasty. The shows tonight were at 7 and 8:45 which is a change from the usual 8:30 and 10:30. It was called Vanity Fair and was billed as popular music, dance and culture of a bygone era. It was not our cup of tea so we left half way thru. Strolled around a little and then went to our cabin for the night. Took a look out the balcony and noticed we just passed by Panama City in the distance. Good night all.

Micanberra...thanks for the Happy Australia Day wishes! I did not catch the

information about the completion of the Canal Expansion...sorry!:o

Thanks anyway. am enjoying the blog.

Looks like you folks on board QE are in for a treat: "On 5 February 2015, Cunard's Queen Elizabeth will meet her royal relative, the legendary Queen Mary, in a Cunard Royal Rendezvous when Queen Elizabeth docks in Long Beach for the first time ever. This historic maiden call is particularly significant, not only because it is the first time a Cunard vessel has ever called at Long Beach, but because both Cunard and the Queen Mary are celebrating milestone anniversaries this year...The day will be marked with celebration and fanfare for the public, with traditional whistle salutes between the ships and a robust fireworks display... Queen Elizabeth will sail into Long Beach harbor at approximately 7:00am, and depart the port at approximately 6:00pm, followed by a whistle exchange salute with the Queen Mary, and fireworks display, before she proceeds on her journey..." quoted from this press release http://www.sys-con.com/node/3288721

Looks like you folks on board QE are in for a treat: "On 5 February 2015, Cunard's Queen Elizabeth will meet her royal relative, the legendary Queen Mary, in a Cunard Royal Rendezvous when Queen Elizabeth docks in Long Beach for the first time ever. This historic maiden call is particularly significant, not only because it is the first time a Cunard vessel has ever called at Long Beach, but because both Cunard and the Queen Mary are celebrating milestone anniversaries this year...The day will be marked with celebration and fanfare for the public, with traditional whistle salutes between the ships and a robust fireworks display... Queen Elizabeth will sail into Long Beach harbor at approximately 7:00am, and depart the port at approximately 6:00pm, followed by a whistle exchange salute with the Queen Mary, and fireworks display, before she proceeds on her journey..." quoted from this press release http://www.sys-con.com/node/3288721

I'm boarding the ship in Long Beach on Feb. 5 and really looking forward to the "Royal Rendezvous". A great way to begin my voyage!

Today is Thursday.

That means exactly one week from today on Thursday, Feb. 5, I'll be joining all of you and boarding the Queen Elizabeth in Long Beach.

Getting real excited and look forward to meeting all of you.

I think that the M & G will be the first day after San Francisco (Feb. 9, Noon in the Yacht Club)??

See you next week!

Glenn

Today is Thursday.

That means exactly one week from today on Thursday, Feb. 5, I'll be joining all of you and boarding the Queen Elizabeth in Long Beach.

Getting real excited and look forward to meeting all of you.

I think that the M & G will be the first day after San Francisco (Feb. 9, Noon in the Yacht Club)??

See you next week!

Glenn

We head west on Thursday as well, but don't meet the ship until Sunday. Hope you all have a great time at the big celebration with the Queen Mary :)

It was a long day, and the transit took a lot longer than scheduled, but it was worth it. We had a lovely day weather wise, apart from one sharp shower in the morning, the remainder of the day was hot and humid. Temps were around 35C, and the sun tan cream was well spread on our exposed parts.

Managed to spot three live crocodiles at the entrance to Gatun Locks and one dead one, which was surrounded by vultures. There were also 2 of the new sliding lock gates, constructed in Italy, on show at the entrance. We entered the channel to the Gatun Flight around 0745 and after moving up the flight of 3 locks we entered Gatun lake around 10am.

There seemed to be more vessels moored in the lake entrance than last year, and we soon were crossing the lake towards Balboa and the Gaillard Cut. The floating crane Titan was once again moored at the service yards in Balboa and there appeared to be a lot more activity on the canal this year. We then passed the Gamboa penitentiary where it is rumoured a certain ex-General Noriega will be spending his remaining days. Just after Balboa we entered the Gaillard Cut which is where the canal slices through the hill that marks the Continental Divide. However we were delayed here, we think owing to the use of explosives on a drilling platform used to deepen the cut for the post-panamax vessels expected when the new locks are completed, possibly in 2016 (2 years behind schedule). We did see a tug moving an explosives ‘cabin’ on a barge soon afterwards.

QE cut her speed and at one stage we were hardly moving doing just over one knot, for quite a while. Eventually we passed the obstruction and sailed under the Millenium Bridge towards San Miguel Lock. There was a little bit of a traffic jam caused by the previous slow progress and the lock staff were having to run flat out to keep up with the ships. At the double flight Miraflores lock the visitor centre was curiously empty, on all our previous transits this place was full to the gunwhales with people viewing the ships. Maybe it was closed for some reason ?

We finally completed our transit closer to 6pm rather than 4pm and after a good view of the Civil Engineering works and new lock constructions at the Pacific end of the canal, darkness descended very quickly. Owing to the long day the late show last night was brought forward to 7pm and a deck party, ‘Music under the Stars’ was held at 2130 on the aft deck until midnight.

Today we are in Puntarenas in Costa Rica, in calm conditions and beautiful sunshine. Fantastic trip organised by Barbara, and the crocs were big and real ! Great day out for many CC members !

The expression Pura Vida is well used in Costa Rica and I think that applies today 

John

Being on a cruise (Curacao today) I don't get a lot of news but this was in my inbox from Queen Mary Hotel. They sound quite excited about the event as well.

I'll be in South America at the time but it should be a great event anyway. By the way, QM admission is free that day.

Roy

Sorry, it seems so long since I posted.......here is the next 3...sorry but long.;)

Wednesday, 28 Jan

After breakfast, went to the pool again today. People must have reported the

warmer temperatures of the shower and pool, because today the shower was cold, and the pool was slightly warm. Not so good for me as I needed it to be a tad warmer than it was. I dipped a foot in and tried to splash some water on me to get used to it, but no go. So I opted for a short time in the spa. Love those jets. The sun was already beating down at 8:30 so we only stayed for 2 hours today. I guess it works out better for a gradual tan though.

Had a little admin to take care of in the form of phone calls to those

going on our tour tomorrow and emails to our tour operator. Our group is now

22 strong and had to formalize the meeting location for us on the ship. We

will meet early and make sure everyone is there, with necessary stuff, before

proceeding off the ship, down the pier, and out the gate to meet the tour guide. On the noon announcement, the Captain told us we would be docking a little later than originally thought, due to tide concerns.

Tried lunch in the main DR today. Service was very slow but we got to ex-

perience a different area of the restaurant...the lower deck. Food wasn't

too bad as I had the spaghetti bolognaise and DH has the thai chicken and

coconut soup follwed by the rainbow trout. We also had ice cream trio with

tea. Went to a corner of the Cafe Carinthia and I read whle DH played chess

on our laptop. It was a bit hard to concentrate as they had the music a bit

too loud, but I perservered so I could finish this 2nd book. Checked out the

third book in the series and headed back to the cabin to drop off our stuff.

DH was going to try to sit on the balcony, which has full sun at the moment,

while I was off to see what was happening around the ship. Afternoon tea,

Hooplah outside the Golden Lion, Bijoux Terner sale (purses, a little jewelery,

tie/bow ties, and scarves), the photographers were setting up for the formal

night pictures (tonight is Formal), and I could see the usual people getting

ready for the Afternoon Quiz in the Golden Lion Pub. It is now 4:15 and I am

back at the cabin to get an early start getting ready for tonight's formal

dinner. Dinner was very nice and relaxed. We decided to try the show again

tonight; a variety show with the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers (they still

were not impressive to us) followed by Alesia and Massimo's Incanto. The second act was very good and amazing. Made it back to our room and collapsed.

Thursday, 29 Jan

Today we were in port...Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Today is forecast to be 30 C

and mostly sunny! Boy did the sun shine brightly and hotly!! We originally

were due to dock at 7 but because of a tidal issue, it was moved to 8. Our tour

group was to meet on Deck 3 Midship Bar at 7:30. At 7:15 I went to meet them, but of course, me being me, I went to Deck 2 Cafe Carinthia and at 7:30could not figure out where everyone was. Luckily my husband showed up and directed me upstairs.... can you believe it? Anyway, we had to wait a bit but finally got off the ship, walked the 250 meters down the pier to the gate where our tour guides were holding signs for us. I did the count several times during this process to make sure everyone was accounted for. Then we started our tour. It was a great day and I can highly recommend this tour! It was an 8 hour tour and showed us a great deal of Costa Rica...Puntarenas, in particular. As John said, we saw crocodiles...much better than the Everglades

tour. The crocs were close and we got lots of good shots of them! We had a great group of people for our tour and I want to thank them for being a fun bunch! We got back at 4:30 and the ship is due to leave at 5:30. We were so tired after out full day out that we went to the Lido and had some pasta. On our way back to our room I wanted to take a look at the sailaway in progress and there was music and dancing all around on the aft Lido Deck. When we got back to our cabin, we had an invitation to the Senior Officers Party for Saturday which sounds interesting so will have to RSVP. Then, I went to the balcony to watch us slowly sail away from Puntarenas. The sky was so clear and even though we were still close to the lights off shore, you could still see lots of stars and the moon seemed like it was right there and much brighter than usual. Sleep came very quickly and I slept so good!

Friday, 30 January

Woke up refreshed and went to breakfast and there were fewer than normal people in the Lido. I tried to decide if it would be the pool or reading this morning. After the long day in the hot sun yesterday, I chose a more relaxing and cooler day today and opted for reading. I started out in Cafe Carinthia but then they turned on the overhead music in this area which made it hard for me to read quietly so I moved to the Midship Bar area.

I read there for 2 hours and then decided to attend two back to back lectures.

The first was the port presentation on Los Angeles. I usually watch them on

TV in the cabin but today I wanted to experience this in person to see if

there is a difference. While the knowledge is no different I realized that

if they presented new Tours here you got first choice on booking them;

however, if you waited until they were on TV they may have sold out by then.

Gavin, the presenter told us that we would be docking in Long Beach right next

to the Queen Mary Hotel and since this was Cunard's 175 year anniversary

there would be celebrations in that area (thanks for the post Salacia confirming all this), including a variety of music entertainment on and near QM as well as a fireworks display at sailaway. He also said we would get free admission to QM and discounted prices on tours, etc. Another interesting thing I learned, Gavin said, that there was an addition to the previous listed tours, as this one was not listed in our shore excursion booklets. It was LA On Your Own, which consisted of Cunard transport to and from LA and then you did it on your own. He also said there would be a shuttle, for a small fee (have to ask about that), that took you to one of 3 spots: QM and terminal area, the Aquarium and Long Beach City center where you could shop.

The second lecture was by a new lecturer, Martin Woodward. This was the first

in a six part series, titled Treasures of the Deep about his career salvaging

numerous shipwrecks and recovering sunken treasures. It was very interesting. Then I was hungry, again, so went to retrieve my husband who was feeling a bit worn out and resting. We popped to the Lido and had lunch. Then I had a kind of new idea...reading out on the promenade in the lounge chairs! Boy was that nice!! Quiet, fresh air, relaxing.......saw some birds, I don't think they were flying fish as they were high in the area mostly. They were so graceful floating on the breeze and seemed like they did not have a care in the world. I read and took brief, 5 minute naps, for over 3 hours. Have to do that again as nothing beats reading in that quiet environment AND you are getting fresh sea air to breathe.

Decided to continue the lazy way and ordered room service while we watched a few movies on the TV. I am here writing my blog while husband is fast asleep. Until next time....

Thank you, Barbara. I have missed you, but this is what I plan to do with the blog - write daily, but post periodically. I mostly use my internet time to stay connected with my family, but wanted to share the voyage with others as well.

I'm glad the tour was good. I'm sure Tonga will be as well. See you soon - enjoy Cabo and LA.

Karen

Love your postings, thanks so much for doing them!

Question for you (or anyone else that has docked in LA)...does Cunard offer transportation for disembarking guests to the airport or downtown that also includes a tour of LA?

And when I say 'offer' I don't mean for free (LOL). We're considering that option as when we disembark there and we're not leaving until 6:15PM.

Thanks.

hI

really interesting to follow your blogs. We are joining on 03/04/15 at Singapore.Do you know if the same captain id doing the whole trip? We are on deck 6, hoping we will have good weather and get away from freezing conditions in UK. Leave some food for us!

The Captain is changing in Sydney. Capt Inger Thorhauge, the female captain, is boarding in Sydney. She is great fun.

Regards

Pat

Edited by DreamflightPat
adding a surname