Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

Salacia, (my autocorrect wanted to make you Samaria)

I was doing a small group tour that drove around the city with a couple of stops. I am not real upset with not going. Growing up I had relatives in NY (mother and grandmother born there) so I have been many times.

Quite a few people I know are doing the evening tour Barbara mentioned.

I will spend the morning tomorrow gettin my flight arrangements worked out and then maybe go to the Times Square area tomorrow afternoon(depending on the weather).

Kathi

Hi Salacia

I haven't seen a list of the now cancelled Sunday tours (that are no longer "viable"), or the few replacements planned for Monday, you obviously have access to these lists, care to share the link please? Thank you.

So the "city that never sleeps" does go to sleep... and closes down on certain days? (such as Monday). Does New York becomes a ghost town, with tumbleweed on Park Avenue? Nowhere to visit, nothing to tour? I ask because I thought it was banks, government offices and the like that weren't open, while everything else carried on pretty much as normal. I must be much more careful (with dates of visits) when planning trips to the U.S.

Interesting, and thanks for the warning.

Hi Pepper.

No, sorry, I don't have a list of tours that were scheduled for today. But for confirmation that they are no longer viable, see Barbara's post (#100) in which she confirms from on-board "The excursions that were supposed to be for today have been transferred to tomorrow automatically and I think they said we were supposed to get the new tickets tonight."

Certainly NYC will not be a ghost town tomorrow. There will be plenty of activities to celebrate MLK Day and many people, including tourists, will be out and about. I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't tell you how either pedestrian or vehicular traffic will be effected by planned marches/demonstrations - but recent events would indicate that is a probability.

I would have thought the tour companies had previously booked tours for Monday (holidays are always big business for tour companies and popular tourist venues), making it very difficult for Cunard to shift Sunday's tours to Monday, but I'm happy to read that it has apparently been accomplished.

Anyway, the weather in NY today is pretty nasty with deep pockets of fog making for low visibility and lots of patches of ice making walking risky, so maybe it's no great loss that today's tours were cancelled. I hope tomorrow is better and that everyone enjoys their time in NY.:) -Salacia

I was doing a small group tour that drove around the city with a couple of stops. I am not real upset with not going. Growing up I had relatives in NY (mother and grandmother born there) so I have been many times.

I will spend the morning tomorrow gettin my flight arrangements worked out and then maybe go to the Times Square area tomorrow afternoon(depending on the weather).

Kathi

Kathi, hope you manage to get your flight sorted out OK. Such a shame you had a rough ride across the Pond again this year.

Thank you kahtrav :)

I'd previously (yesterday) checked a few places (The Empire State Building, MoMA to give just two examples) and they are open as usual, as I suspected they would be ;) .

No doubt most casual visitors to the city won't notice the difference between this and any other Monday. Certainly most cities in the world on the tourist trail, such as New York, seems to cater to visitors almost 365 days a year.

Certainly that is what happens in London for example on most public holidays. For many tourist venues over here, these days are their busiest of the year. I don't expect that New York is any different. Business as usual.

All best wishes to you :)

Certainly tourist venues and points of interest such as those you mentioned will be open on MLK Day. Because it is a Federal Holiday, most schools and business offices will be closed - but tourists sites will be open, attracting more than the usual number of visitors since many have the day off work. :)

Edited by Salacia

For the added excursion for tonight we are to meet in Britannia Restaurant at 3pm then, as a group, go thru Customs/Immigration then proceed with our tour. Evening coach tour around the city and then an hour of free time in Times Square and back to the ship. Have to be dressed warmly because it is soo cold and rainy.
So continuing passengers aren't required to clear immigration unless going ashore? Everyone must clear immigration when QM2 calls on Red Hook.

Was the cruise sold with any New York disembarkations?

Edited by Underwatr

So continuing passengers aren't required to clear immigration unless going ashore? Everyone must clear immigration when QM2 calls on Red Hook.

Was the cruise sold with any New York disembarkations?

There were quite a few doing just the TA crossing. They started disembarking around 12:30.

Everyone has to clear immigration. They are at present calling decks to be processed. They have asked those of us who are planning to just get back on to wait until "Last Call" because they don't foresee reboarding for Intransit passengers to commence before 4:30.

The Queens Room and Cafe Corinthia are packed with those of us waiting for that last call.

Hi Salacia

I haven't seen a list of the now cancelled Sunday tours (that are no longer "viable"), or the few replacements planned for Monday, you obviously have access to these lists, care to share the link please? Thank you.

So the "city that never sleeps" does go to sleep... and closes down on certain days? (such as Monday). Does New York becomes a ghost town, with tumbleweed on Park Avenue? Nowhere to visit, nothing to tour? I ask because I thought it was banks, government offices and the like that weren't open, while everything else carried on pretty much as normal. I must be much more careful (with dates of visits) when planning trips to the U.S.

Interesting, and thanks for the warning.

[/QUOTe

Hi Pepper

There are many things to do in the city during MLK day. There will be some observances of MLK at various locations.

One can " shop till they drop " at all the department stores .

The museums are open. Times sq is alive! One can even take the F train to

Coney Island and get a real Brooklyn Hot Dog!;)

Kathi

Hi Kathi. Staying warm & dry sounds like a good choice...pretty nasty weather right now.

BTW, if you want to take a look at Times Square, here's a live webcam: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsrobo1

Whatever you decide to do tomorrow, I hope you have a good day - at least the sun will be shinning (hopefully!) :) -Salacia

Just got back onboard. Took about 75 minutes from the "Last Call" until actually being back onboard. Things went smoothly. There were plenty of immigration officers so the line went quickly.

I made it a very lazy day, sleeping late since it was hard to see much of NYC because of the weather.

Rumour has it that those embarking here were sent to a Hilton Hotel.

Although I have not heard, I would not be surprised if dinner was open seating and "come as you are" just like in Southampton. They did say that jackets for gentleman were optional.

Edited by Scrapnana

Just got back onboard. Took about 75 minutes from the "Last Call" until actually being back onboard. Things went smoothly. There were plenty of immigration officers so the line went quickly.

I made it a very lazy day, sleeping late since it was hard to see much of NYC because of the weather.

Although I have not heard, I would not be surprised if dinner was open seating and "come as you are" just like in Southampton. They did say that jackets for gentleman were optional.

How Nice .

Kathi, yes, embarking passengers were directed to go to the Hilton, as outlined here in Angus Struthers announcement :https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QE_Arrival

BTW, if you haven't already seen it, Mr. Struthers made this announcement about your arrival in Fort Lauderdale (to be updated tomorrow): https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QE_Arrival2

Kathi, yes, embarking passengers were directed to go to the Hilton, as outlined here in Angus Struthers announcement :https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QE_Arrival

BTW, if you haven't already seen it, Mr. Struthers made this announcement about your arrival in Fort Lauderdale (to be updated tomorrow): https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QE_Arrival2

Thanks for that link about FLL, Salacia. I have so few minutes left on my internet plan I have not been able to do much on the internet. I will have to check with the Purser's Office before I book my flight (we have not been told anything about a possible delay in on Thursday in FLL.

Thanks for that link about FLL, Salacia. I have so few minutes left on my internet plan I have not been able to do much on the internet. I will have to check with the Purser's Office before I book my flight (we have not been told anything about a possible delay in on Thursday in FLL.

Hi Kathi. Sorry that your internet plan is near an end - we've been enjoying your posts. Thanks again.

For whatever it's worth, at this time, the Port of Fort Lauderdale schedule has QE arriving Jan. 22 at 07:00. Other cruise ships scheduled to arrive that morning: Caribbean Princess at 06:00 and Liberty of the Seas at 07:00. Mr. Struthers announcement from last Friday as mentioned previously has not been updated yet.

Best of luck rearranging your travel plans. -S.

Edited by Salacia

I spent a very restful day onboard. Slept late then stood on my balcony for awhile. Decided it was too cold and windy for my tastes so no touring for me.

Spoke to a very nice lady at Delta. I was charged $128 due to the difference in fares but they waived a penalty fee for the change. I will update when I return home on about reimbursement from CunardCare or Cunard.

Had afternoon tea in the Queens Room. Many people were still ashore so it was not packed.

Muster Drill for the new passengers has just ended and we are set to sail at 6:30.

I'm so pleased it is all settled. It sounds as though it was not too painful.

I hope CunardCare or Cunard is good about this. It is obviously no one's fault. Of course, I would see that $128 as a small charge for an extra night on board the ship! However, that only works for people whose schedules allow them that extra time.

I'm so pleased it is all settled. It sounds as though it was not too painful.

I hope CunardCare or Cunard is good about this. It is obviously no one's fault. Of course, I would see that $128 as a small charge for an extra night on board the ship! However, that only works for people whose schedules allow them that extra time.

I agree. $128 a night for a solo is great.

We left early (about 6:08). Just passed the Statue of Liberty. Had to come in and warm up before passing under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge.

While I was standing on my balcony watching the sail-away, an announcement was made that the show for tonight ("Sing") was postponed because the sound sytem in the Royal Court Theatre broke this afternoon. There were not many people in the public rooms I was in tonight so some probably used the cancellation to make it an early night. Many people I talked to this evening had walked a great deal today so I am sure there are many tired people after all those sea days.

Mr. Struthers stated that there would be an update on Monday, Jan. 19 regarding QE arrival in Fort Lauderdale port, but that update hasn't yet appeared on any media that I have found. Perhaps others have received an update? [Reference https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QE_Arrival2]

UPDATE: Mr. Struthers wrote "...I am so sorry for this change in schedule and we will be back in touch with you on Monday with the latest information."* - but I haven't found 'in touch- Monday statement"

*quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QE_Arrival2

Perhaps others have updated information?

Edited by Salacia

The second day in NYC was definitely better weather wise. Sunny/partly cloudy and cold but no rain. There were a few snowflakes here ad there later in the afternoon but only a couple and I kept thinking I was imagining them. We met in the Theatre at 8:30 for our excursion 3 Stop, which was basically transport to 3 different areas of Manhattan; Lower Manhattan near the 9/11 Memorial area, Midtown at Rockefeller Center, and Upper East side near Museum Mile...those were the stops. The wait was not too bad, but while we were waiting they started having a bit of trouble with the sound system, hence, the announcement last night by the Entertainment Director, Leon, that shows and movies were on hold until the techs fixed it. Our first stop the 9/11 area and it was amazing. We also walked around and saw the Trinity Church with the oldest cemetery in NY (so we were told). It was sunny and cold, but we loved it! Next stop was Midtown and we were dropped off outside Rockefeller Center near the NBC studio on 50th Street near Radio City Musica Hall. We walked and saw the famous skating rink, Times Square, and lots of restaurants and shops. Lastly, Upper East we were dropped off near the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was close to Central Park, so we walked around and enjoyed the nice weather and architecture as well as the frozen reservoir. The temperature dropped quite a bit so we were glad the bus go there early to pick us up.

Back on board, we noticed quite a few new passengers trying to get their bearings. After all our walking we decided to have a bite to eat and retire to our balconies to watch our sailaway. As Kathi said, it was very cold and we did not last to the Verrazano Bridge. The water is much calmer at 0.3 m with the speed overnight of 18.5 knots. Now I understand what Capnpugwash and others are talking about when they say the ship can rock you to sleep.

Time to logoff and renew our CWC minutes so I can try and update later.