Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

Bobby, we must be reading different local weather forecast, but I certainly hope what you are seeing is correct.

Why does the ship need to overnight in NY, as pleasant as that might be for some passengers and problem for others? I understand that she is arriving late in NY by approximately 6 hours (that's not all that uncommon) - but the departure is delayed by more than 24 hours, resulting in a port cancellation in Nassau.

There must be a very good reason why Cunard altered the itinerary.:confused:

Hi Salacia,

The decision to overnight in New York was taken to allow those passengers with full day shore excursions and plans in New York the opportunity to enjoy their activities which, otherwise, would have to had to be cancelled if the ship merely were to sail a bit later in the evening.

I think it was a good call by Cunard to over night in New York. Nonetheless, there are some whose onward journeys will be affected.

Hi Salacia,

The decision to overnight in New York was taken to allow those passengers with full day shore excursions and plans in New York the opportunity to enjoy their activities which, otherwise, would have to had to be cancelled if the ship merely were to sail a bit later in the evening.

I think it was a good call by Cunard to over night in New York. Nonetheless, there are some whose onward journeys will be affected.

Hi Bobby. Thanks for explaining - and no doubt it is good news to those passengers who were looking forward to Sunday in NY. Now they will have extra time in the City. (Hopefully the marches/demonstrations planned for Monday will not be disruptive and will honor the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr.)

The number of passengers adversely affected by the decision to over-night in NY include passengers embarking and disembarking a day later than scheduled in Florida, requiring changes to their travel arrangements (although those disembarking will have an extra day on-board).Those passengers who were looking forward to the day in Nassau had to cancel their plans.

To over-night in NY must have been a tough decision - I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to make it!:)

Anyway, I hope it works out in the best possible way for all concerned. Cheers, -S.

Very bumpy overnight and woke up to a little snow this morning and we went through little bursts of it until early afternoon. The temperature drop from yesterday was dramatic. By late afternoon the seas were calmer.

Had a delicious dinner in The Verandah tonight with some CC friends.

Since my waitlisted tour did not make, I plan to do nothing but the immigration process Sunday and deal with Delta Airlines Monday to make arrangements to get home on Thursday.

Thanks for following along, Bee!

Scrapnana, does that mean you don't plan to go ashore while docked in Manhattan? What was the tour you had hoped for (if you don't mind my asking)? I imagine that by the time you dock in Manhattan, there won't be too many tours on offer - but the City never sleeps, so perhaps you might enjoy some of the nightlife with a group of passengers? Dinner and a show, perhaps?

Bobby, I've been thinking further about what you wrote and I confess to being befuddled by your comment that

"The decision to overnight in New York was taken to allow those passengers with full day shore excursions and plans in New York the opportunity to enjoy their activities which, otherwise, would have to had to be cancelled if the ship merely were to sail a bit later in the evening.

I can't help but wonder how many of those excursions can/will be rescheduled for Monday (MLK Day, a Federal Holiday). Certainly, most tours previously booked for Sunday are no longer viable.

With all due respect, I challenge the reasoning suggested for the over-night stay in NY which resulted in a change of itinerary, as being attributed solely to Sunday's shore excursions in NY. No, it just doesn't add up as I see it, especially considering the knock-on effects. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Very bumpy overnight and woke up to a little snow this morning and we went through little bursts of it until early afternoon. The temperature drop from yesterday was dramatic. By late afternoon the seas were calmer.

QE is according to AIS just south of Southampton

(Long Island NY)

;-)

Bobby, I've been thinking further about what you wrote and I confess to being befuddled by your comment that

"The decision to overnight in New York was taken to allow those passengers with full day shore excursions and plans in New York the opportunity to enjoy their activities which, otherwise, would have to had to be cancelled if the ship merely were to sail a bit later in the evening.

I can't help but wonder how many of those excursions can/will be rescheduled for Monday (MLK Day, a Federal Holiday). Certainly, most tours previously booked for Sunday are no longer viable.

With all due respect, I challenge the reasoning suggested for the over-night stay in NY which resulted in a change of itinerary, as being attributed solely to Sunday's shore excursions in NY. No, it just doesn't add up as I see it, especially considering the knock-on effects. -S.

That was the official decision, Salacia. Cunard has even dispatched a customer care team from California HQ to assist in the arrangements that were put in place for the late arrival today. I think Cunard has handled this issue very admirably and impressively.

I see Queen Elizabeth is approaching New York. Have her on Marine Traffic and also been on the bridge webcam. Weather doesn't look that inviting.

Regards Pat

It looks pretty misty/foggy - hope it clears for everyone.

... I can't help but wonder how many of those excursions can/will be rescheduled for Monday (MLK Day, a Federal Holiday). Certainly, most tours previously booked for Sunday are no longer viable ...
Hi Salacia

I haven't seen a list of the now cancelled Sunday tours (that are no longer "viable"), or the few replacements planned for Monday, you obviously have access to these lists, care to share the link please? Thank you.

So the "city that never sleeps" does go to sleep... and closes down on certain days? (such as Monday). Does New York becomes a ghost town, with tumbleweed on Park Avenue? Nowhere to visit, nothing to tour? I ask because I thought it was banks, government offices and the like that weren't open, while everything else carried on pretty much as normal. I must be much more careful (with dates of visits) when planning trips to the U.S.

Interesting, and thanks for the warning.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Salacia

I haven't seen a list of the now cancelled Sunday tours (that are no longer "viable"), or the few replacements planned for Monday, you obviously have access to these lists, care to share the link please? Thank you.

So the "city that never sleeps" does go to sleep... and closes down on certain days? (such as Monday). Does New York becomes a ghost town, with tumbleweed on Park Avenue? Nowhere to visit, nothing to tour? I ask because I thought it was banks, government offices and the like that weren't open, while everything else carried on pretty much as normal. I must be much more careful (with dates of visits) when planning trips to the U.S.

Interesting, and thanks for the warning.

I think folks will find that there's plenty to see on the holiday on Monday - yes, the banks, probably Wall Street, etc. will be closed, but NYC will be open :). Enjoy.

I would have thought very easy to replace tours on the Monday, for a start there aren't any other cruise ships in NY tomorrow. Knowing how iconic NY is for most people compared to Nassau, I think Cunard made a good decision to overnight there.

I think folks will find that there's plenty to see on the holiday on Monday - yes, the banks, probably Wall Street, etc. will be closed, but NYC will be open :). Enjoy.
Thank you kahtrav :)

I'd previously (yesterday) checked a few places (The Empire State Building, MoMA to give just two examples) and they are open as usual, as I suspected they would be ;) .

No doubt most casual visitors to the city won't notice the difference between this and any other Monday. Certainly most cities in the world on the tourist trail, such as New York, seems to cater to visitors almost 365 days a year.

Certainly that is what happens in London for example on most public holidays. For many tourist venues over here, these days are their busiest of the year. I don't expect that New York is any different. Business as usual.

All best wishes to you :)

Thank you kahtrav :)

I'd previously (yesterday) checked a few places (The Empire State Building, MoMA to give just two examples) and they are open as usual, as I suspected they would be ;) .

All best wishes to you :)

We visited Ground Zero last MLK day. Big queues but a very emotional visit.

Well, late yesterday and overnight the seas calmed down considerably (2.5 m waves versus the 4.5-6.5 previously) and the wind as well calmed down.

We have just docked after travelling up the river. It is very cold and rainy as well as a bit foggy. We were able to get a few pictures of the bridge and the Statue of Liberty, but not crystal clear of course. It was quite interesting to watch docking next to the NCL Breakaway as it seemed so close! Everyone in the Lido was oohing and aahing.

They will begin disembarkation first around 12pm until about 2:15pm. For the added excursion for tonight we are to meet in Britannia Restaurant at 3pm then, as a group, go thru Customs/Immigration then proceed with our tour. Evening coach tour around the city and then an hour of free time in Times Square and back to the ship. Have to be dressed warmly because it is soo cold and rainy.

Yesterday the Captain sounded hopeful, saying that tomorrow was to be sunny and warmer...here's hoping!;)

The excursions that were supposed to be for today have been transferred to tomorrow automatically and I think they said we were supposed to get the new tickets tonight.

The stewards are presently busy getting rooms ready for the new passengers, putting DR assignment cards in the mail slot for each room. The 3rd deck around stairway B (I think it is) is currently blocked with GANGWAY for the disembarking passengers. I have seen quite a few carting around their carry on bags waiting for their time to leave us.