Live from the 2015 QE World Voyage

Scrapnana

Sea is not as rough although we did hit a couple of "speed bumps" that had people saying "ooohhh".

Lots of people had trouble with the internet yesterday. Heard from some friends that they were told that Cunard was only allowing 65 passengers and 15 crew to log in at any time. Don't know if this is something new (or even true) but I never heard this last year.

Made reservations for The Verandah for Saturday night. Looking forward to another excellent meal there.

Finally found the new ice machines in the Lido today.

I really like the new system of not printing out all the pictures taken by the ship photographers. Seeing them on a large screen monitor is much more cost efficient and better for the environment.

Edited by Scrapnana

Wife and I have just booked the segment from San Francisco to Auckland.

There seems to be some changes to the dining onboard QE since we were last on her in 2012. Specifically, I am referring to the regional specialty restaurants that are held in the Lido buffet .

Do they have each one of these each night or just one each night?? Does this mean that the "normal" buffet doesn't operate in the Lido at night??

The foods sound interesting - we like Mexican and Asian food - not too sure what South American grill would be??

Thanks for any advice

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Wife and I have just booked the segment from San Francisco to Auckland.

There seems to be some changes to the dining onboard QE since we were last on her in 2012. Specifically, I am referring to the regional specialty restaurants that are held in the Lido buffet .

Do they have each one of these each night or just one each night?? Does this mean that the "normal" buffet doesn't operate in the Lido at night??

The foods sound interesting - we like Mexican and Asian food - not too sure what South American grill would be??

Thanks for any advice

Barry

Our experience with south American grills is a mixed grill with a wide variety of meats. Haven't been on QE yet (board in SFO) so don't know. I'd like to know cost for those - heard that price went up? Also, it's only part of the Lido, buffet in other part.

The specialty restaurants are now $15.00 and you need to make a reservation. The night's dress code still applies which we learned when the 3 men in our party showed up not wearing jackets. They rotate the restaurants and one will be on for a couple of nights then another for several nights. Wonderful food, service and nice and quiet. The normal buffet is still available nightly.

A nice day at sea. Temperature was 18-19C with just a hint of sun. It is now just after midnight and you can tell you are on a ship. Not too bad as far as I am concerned but I could not walk a straight line getting back to my stateroom (and no, it was not bcause of the "Rum Barrel" I had in the Commodore Club)!

Just had the noon announcements from the Captain. Last night we had 70 knot winds and 10 meter swells so we had to slow down a great deal. More bad weather for tonight but not quite as bad as last night. Because of this we will be delayed getting into New York City. We are now scheduled to arrive at noon on Sunday and spending the night in port. We will leave NYC on Monday at 1830. Arrival in Fort Lauderdale will now be on Thursday (instead of Wednesday). Nassau has been cancelled and the ship will sail from FLL to Curaçao.

Not sure how I am going to change my flight but at least I have time in New York to talk with Delta.

Oh, wow, Kathi! The QE certainly has hit a few speed bumps at the start of the world cruise. I hope Delta will be understanding about your having to change flights and not charge you. Poor Cunard having to deal with the people who were to board and disembark in NY on Saturday and those who are boarding in Ft. Lauderdale. At least you get an additional day on board.

Just had the noon announcements from the Captain. Last night we had 70 knot winds and 10 meter swells so we had to slow down a great deal. More bad weather for tonight but not quite as bad as last night. Because of this we will be delayed getting into New York City. We are now scheduled to arrive at noon on Sunday and spending the night in port. We will leave NYC on Monday at 1830. Arrival in Fort Lauderdale will now be on Thursday (instead of Wednesday). Nassau has been cancelled and the ship will sail from FLL to Curaçao.

Not sure how I am going to change my flight but at least I have time in New York to talk with Delta.

Hi Scrapnana. Thanks for the update. Sorry about having to change your flight plans - I hope that goes smoothly! And best wishes to those embarking in NY; I imagine there will be a lot of scrambling to find hotel rooms for Sunday night (not easy at the last minute on a three-day weekend!).

Will you still be docking in Manhattan?

A bit of good news is that it won't be as cold in NY on Sunday as it has been this past week, but rain is in the forecast (possibly changing to snow late Sunday night/early Monday). Regards, - Salacia

Edited to add: if you're in the mood for a Broadway show on Sunday, a listing of shows can be found here: http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/weekly-schedule-of-current-broadway-shows-142774

and information regarding last minute ticket availability here: https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

Edited by Salacia

One piece of good news for me. I'll be on the 17th Street Bridge next Thursday watching QE leave. Sadly you won't still be on it.

I hope all goes well with your flight rearrangements.

Roy

Nassau is no big loss.

That is what I told some people on board. They were very upset because they had never been to Nassau before. Told them they really were not missing much. Like capnpugwash, I would pick the overnight in NYC over a day in Nassau.

Have managed to pick up a good deal for the sector San Francisco to Auckland - 18 days .

Can anybody kindly advise what the show times on QE are these days?? We are on 8.30 dinner and if I recall correctly , I believe the late show time was around 10.30?? - which we found to be a bit too late . Some other cruiselines have an early show for late diners - much prefer that! :(

Just had the noon announcements from the Captain. Last night we had 70 knot winds and 10 meter swells so we had to slow down a great deal. More bad weather for tonight but not quite as bad as last night. Because of this we will be delayed getting into New York City. We are now scheduled to arrive at noon on Sunday and spending the night in port. .

Sorry for all those inconvenienced but arriving into Manhattan at noon should be a great arrival - even better than last year.

Weather here in NYC is bitterly cold tonight, but it will moderate by Sunday. The daytime temps will be in the mid 40's, but light rain will arrive by evening.

Cunard is handling this latest weather snafu admirably. The overnight in New York and the hospitality set-up planned at the NY Hilton are a wise call, although some disembarking in NY and FLL will have to do some scrambling to rearrange their onward flights.

All of this is to be expected this time of year, especially with a cruiseship attempting a North Atlantic crossing.

Looking forward to seeing/photographing the ship on Sunday when she arrives.

Have managed to pick up a good deal for the sector San Francisco to Auckland - 18 days .

Can anybody kindly advise what the show times on QE are these days?? We are on 8.30 dinner and if I recall correctly , I believe the late show time was around 10.30?? - which we found to be a bit too late . Some other cruiselines have an early show for late diners - much prefer that! :(

Showtimes are 8:30 and 10:30 normally.

I did not hear any grumbling about the changes although I am sure there must have been some. Everyone I talked to going to FLL was excited to have an extra day onboard.

I took the CunardCare insurance. When I spoke to a rep before the cruise, she said it covered me from the time I left my front door until I returned home. I may be finding out if this is true.

Tonight was the Starlight Ball and the last formal night before FLL as well as the World Club Cocktail Party for those departing in NY or FLL. Everyone looked very nice. I will try to post a couple of pictures in New York when I can get them off my phone.

Edited by Scrapnana

Weather here in NYC is bitterly cold tonight, but it will moderate by Sunday. The daytime temps will be in the mid 40's, but light rain will arrive by evening.

Cunard is handling this latest weather snafu admirably. The overnight in New York and the hospitality set-up planned at the NY Hilton are a wise call, although some disembarking in NY and FLL will have to do some scrambling to rearrange their onward flights.

All of this is to be expected this time of year, especially with a cruiseship attempting a North Atlantic crossing.

Looking forward to seeing/photographing the ship on Sunday when she arrives.

Bobby, we must be reading different local weather forecast, but I certainly hope what you are seeing is correct.

Why does the ship need to overnight in NY, as pleasant as that might be for some passengers and problem for others? I understand that she is arriving late in NY by approximately 6 hours (that's not all that uncommon) - but the departure is delayed by more than 24 hours, resulting in a port cancellation in Nassau.

There must be a very good reason why Cunard altered the itinerary.:confused:

Why does the ship need to overnight in NY, as pleasant as that might be for some passengers and problem for others? I understand that she is arriving late in NY by approximately 6 hours (that's not all that uncommon) - but the departure is delayed by more than 24 hours, resulting in a port cancellation in Nassau.

Presumably Cunard finds it most expedient (read: economical) to simply slide the arrival and departure at Ft Lauderdale back precisely 24 hours enabling an easy reschedule of the harbor pilots and deliveries of provisions. While this requires the cancellation of the next port call it takes the pressure off the ship to not be forced to make up time should the weather not sufficiently improve to do so. But not entirely: the QE must still reach NY in time for those embarking that day to be in their cabins at a reasonable hour that evening else the providing of onshore accommodations and/or credit for a day missed onboard would undoubtedly be demanded of Cunard.

The QE was to be the only ship in port on Wednesday; instead she will be one of now three on Thursday. Hopefully ICE has been informed to send officers to Pier 21 on Thursday. Or maybe they will find out from these boards ;)

And I notice some have mentioned joining QE for a later segment of her WC. Inspired me to recheck the SFO-FLL segment of QV's WC. Right now there is a pretty good offer; will be waiting for the too-good-to-refuse one.

Bobby, we must be reading different local weather forecast, but I certainly hope what you are seeing is correct.

Oh, yes, tough contracts with te tour operators at NYC would be one reason.