Balcony or $650 OBC?

applegam

What to do, what to do? We are booked on the Breeze on the last week of March. Have been watching the rates very carefully. It's dropped to the point where we have $650 in OBC. Right now, we have an inside cabin booked. We could upgrade to a balcony for $650 - hmmm. What would you do? :)

Frankly with 4 people, I would go with an OV and keep the rest of the OBC.

Its a toss-up really.

With the OBC, you may feel pressured to spend it all, since I don't think it can be cashed out or rolled onto another cruise.

If you spend a lot of money onboard, I'd go for the money.

If you don't spend that much onboard, I'd go for the balcony. At least with the balcony you can enjoy the extra space throughout the entire cruise and can see the value.

With $650 OBC, I would feel like I have to spend money on extras and possibly overspend or not spend the whole amount. Sounds like a lot of keeping track.

Then again, I haven't been on a cruise yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

FYI my future cruise addict friend, it is not too hard to spend $650 onboard with 4 people and a 6-8 day cruise. I think my biggest shocker after my first cruise was just how much we spent on extras. I know lots of people don't drink or gamble which is my big drain, but there's still daily gratuities, pictures, shopping, arcade for the young ones, after hours parties for the kid's and other activities with cost. Could also use to purchase excursions. It's easier than you might imagine to dispose of money on a cruise. :D

How are you feeling about expenses/spending expectations to this point? If you are comfortable with the budget, upgrade and enjoy the extra space! If the budget is a bit tight, take the obc.

Go with the option that will help you enjoy your vacation the most.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise either way!,

Peg

Young couple with kids, take the OBC, especially since you've already experienced the balcony. They are nice, + if you were an older couple goin on an Alaskan cruise, I'd take the balcony. But, in your situation, put it towards making memories with the kids.

Looks like the upgrade to OV is $320. I certainly agree that on an 8 day cruise for 4 people that the charges can really add up fast. We have already booked two excursions, but they are already paid for unfortunately. Appreciate all the great comments!

Looks like the upgrade to OV is $320. I certainly agree that on an 8 day cruise for 4 people that the charges can really add up fast. We have already booked two excursions, but they are already paid for unfortunately. Appreciate all the great comments!

i would go this route! Inside is really very small , yet doable for 4. I would take the balcony.. or if you would like some obc, you will still have 320 obc with the ov. The ov actually has more room inside the cabin than the balcony.

What to do, what to do? We are booked on the Breeze on the last week of March. Have been watching the rates very carefully. It's dropped to the point where we have $650 in OBC. Right now, we have an inside cabin booked. We could upgrade to a balcony for $650 - hmmm. What would you do? :)

Balcony, especially with four people in the cabin. It's a little extra space to where someone can escape the tight quarters.

Our first cruise alone was in an OV room. We were upgraded to a balcony for our second, on which we took our two boys who were 11 and 14. Having that balcony to sit out was the best thing. Our youngest son especially loved it. We'd often come back to the cabin and find him out there, enjoying the room service meal he'd ordered. :D

We are diehard balcony folks....but in this case I would stick with the OBC. Use it in the spa for massages or facials, taking everyone to the steakhouse, the more expensive excursions like swimming with the dolphins, etc. Either way you choose....you will have a blast!

We are sailing the breeze 3/14 -- just upgraded from a GTY OV to a GTY Balcony for $100, and it wouldn't have been much more than that if we had an inside, as you do.

You might want to hold onto that OBC and see if the upgrade cost drops. If you had a similar offer to what we had, you'd save $550 upgrading -- and that's still a lot of dough to spend onboard!

Question.. Are you getting this through the "lowest price guarantee"?