Dining with strangers

PurpleMoonlight

Just back from Oriana's Christmas/new year cruise.

For the first time in four P & O cruises we had to dine with strangers. A table of 6 including us.

I regret to say, I didn't like it much.

The trouble is your whole dining experience is governed by the slowest person on the table. As such it regularly took 20-30 minutes longer than we would have liked, and that was with usually missing the coffee.

The people themselves were lovely and I have no complaints of their personalities, but the slowness did take the enjoyment edge off MDR dining.

I really really really hope we have a table for 2 on our next cruise in May 2015.

Really is pot luck.

Some see dining as their nights entertainment and want to draw it out, others want a pleasant meal with good conversation at a reasonable pace and some who do not want the buffet on an evening and want some "fine dining" want to have that but be in and out as quick as possible.

The only upside like you say is you had nice people to dine with - it could have been a lot worse.

Some more detail would help, was it the conversation that delayed your meal or were your companions slow eaters ? One of the enjoyments of dining as against just eating a meal is the companionship and conversation. Yes, please ensure you book table for two on your future cruises, we diners do not want to be rushed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some more detail would help, was it the conversation that delayed your meal or were your companions slow eaters ? One of the enjoyments of dining as against just eating a meal is the companionship and conversation. Yes, please ensure you book table for two on your future cruises, we diners do not want to be rushed.

Late getting to the table and slow eaters.

You can't book a table for 2 in the MDR, only request in hope .....

Not sure if this was early or late sitting?

But I think the wait staff are a little more on the ball at keeping the momentum going on the early sitting as they have to kick you all out and prep for the late.

Maybe try early next time if you were on late?

Just back from Oriana's Christmas/new year cruise.

For the first time in four P & O cruises we had to dine with strangers. A table of 6 including us.

I regret to say, I didn't like it much.

The trouble is your whole dining experience is governed by the slowest person on the table. As such it regularly took 20-30 minutes longer than we would have liked, and that was with usually missing the coffee.

The people themselves were lovely and I have no complaints of their personalities, but the slowness did take the enjoyment edge off MDR dining.

I really really really hope we have a table for 2 on our next cruise in May 2015.

Having a good table for conversation is one of our major enjoyment a on a cruise. We have a table for 8 second sitting every time and have been very lucky in never have a bad experience. We have met some wonderful people and made long term friends.

However I would agree if you want a table for two then Freedom dining is a better option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's part of the fun sharing a nice meal with different people, we sometimes ask for a table for 2 if we are not feeling very talkative but then often get into conversation with the people on the next table.

We have met some really nice people and some really bizarre people it takes all sorts of people to make the world go round and maybe some of them thing we are weird!!!