How to Pick a TA for River Cruising

stagetek23

Hi Cruise Critic family!

My hubby and I are looking into a river cruise. We are an active couple in our 30's but have no problem being the youngest on board (I believe we were close on or last cruise and had a great time!) We have "old souls".

We have sent away for every company's brochures, watched YouTube videos and have done a lot of research on the companies and have narrowed it down to a few that work for what we are looking for.

Our major issue is...how do you pick a good TA? We have never used one, always done it our self. I have spoken to a few that say they "specialize in river cruising" but they don't have anymore information than what is in the brochures. They just read from them. I can do that. Many have been on river cruises but with only one company.

Any information and tips on picking a TA for river cruising would be great. Should I "interview" them? What questions should I ask?

Thanks again you all are always helpful!

Cheers

Google luxury cruising. There are a handful of agencies that primarily deal in high end cruises (including river Cruises). Read their websites very carefully and you will usually see the benefits for booking with that agency spelled out.

These would not be a Mom and Pop TA in the local strip mall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you both for information!

I know specific TA's can't be mentioned...I just would like to know what people look for when picking a TA for a river cruise as I am finding the "local" ones are not cutting it.

I will keep searching! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you both for information!

I know specific TA's can't be mentioned...I just would like to know what people look for when picking a TA for a river cruise as I am finding the "local" ones are not cutting it.

I will keep searching! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

One of the things you should at least consider is whether the TA offers OBC and/or other discounts for river cruises you are considering.

I can tell you what I look for (easy to reach via phone or email, quick to respond even when on vacation, always willing to follow my detailed requests and to make changes, never mentions any fees for changes or cancellations, throws in some OBC on every cruise).

Telling you how to find such a person is more difficult. When I was planning our cruise on Oceania they linked me to a local high-end TA who had a group rate for the date we were thinking about. Her advice and service was fine but she was only available during office hours and when we switched to a different date we paid the web price and didn't get any OBC. When I was planning our AMAwaterways cruise they linked me to our current TA [someone recently complained about Uniworld doing this -- all I can say is I'm grateful :)]. She cruises a lot and so has good advice regarding many lines and itineraries, she tipped me off that an Amex Platinum card would pay for itself twice over that first year, she has never steered me wrong or let me down, she has rebooked us several times when prices went down (and managed to keep our same cabin), and she always throws in some OBC for every booking.

It depends how much research you want to do on your own also. I love doing my own research for my upcoming vacation. It's time consuming yes but I consider it like a hobby. Anyways since I know exactly what I want by the time I call a TA it all comes down to the bottom line of final price for me. I google discount travel agencies and then start my comparison shopping.

Hi Cruise Critic family!

My hubby and I are looking into a river cruise. We are an active couple in our 30's but have no problem being the youngest on board (I believe we were close on or last cruise and had a great time!) We have "old souls".

We have sent away for every company's brochures, watched YouTube videos and have done a lot of research on the companies and have narrowed it down to a few that work for what we are looking for.

Our major issue is...how do you pick a good TA? We have never used one, always done it our self. I have spoken to a few that say they "specialize in river cruising" but they don't have anymore information than what is in the brochures. They just read from them. I can do that. Many have been on river cruises but with only one company.

Any information and tips on picking a TA for river cruising would be great. Should I "interview" them? What questions should I ask?

Thanks again you all are always helpful!

Cheers

Check out Vantage. They don't use TAs, but there prices beat

Viking hands down. They will assist you with the flight arrangements, just compare with kayak. We did Russian River and China with them and they were our best trips ever.

http://www.vantagetravel.com/SEM1/European_River_Cruises1?source=SEMEU11&_vsignck&_vsrefdom=paidsearch&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand%20-%20Vantage&utm_term=vantage%20travel