Suite Class Restaurant - Luminae

InTheWASide

We just got off the equinox from an 11 night sailing. Even though the official opening for the new suite restaurant is not scheduled until April 6, we were very pleased with the decor and the excellent service we received. We cannot comment on the chairs because after dinner last night the carpet was to be ripped up and replaced with new tables and chairs to be in place for tonight's dinner. We can say that the room is much more spacious than what it appears to be in the artist's drawing and that tablecloths were used for each meal. There is a mirrored wall that divides laminae into two sections ( each being about the same size). We were told that the restaurant could accommodate 102 guests. We ate each night between 6 and 7 PM and the restaurant was never half full, usually only about one third full. We were told that we could arrive for dinner at any time with no reservations. Until April 6 laminae is using the same menu as the main dining room. We have read comments that the quality of the food has gone down in the last year or two but we did not find that to be true. We feel sure that the new menus for laminae will be pleasing to most people (but you can never satisfy everyone's taste).

Thank you so much for reporting back. It all sounds very promising.

What I am still having a hard time understanding is...

We have a Suite for the last week of March into April on the Reflection. Although Luminae is opened on the Reflection, will we still be assigned a table in the MDR?

Since the new menu will not be available in Luminae until the next week, we are not sure we want to eat dinner confined in that room, versus the MDR which is more open. Yes, the service may be better, but the different food menu would be the enticement for us. We just want to make sure that we have a table in the MDR, as well.

We also plan to eat in Blu and the Specialty restaurants and will probably go to a SR on the first evening. Should I stop in to see the Maitre d on the first day?

We have a Suite for the last week of March into April on the Reflection. Although Luminae is opened on the Reflection, will we still be assigned a table in the MDR?

Since the new menu will not be available in Luminae until the next week, we are not sure we want to eat dinner confined in that room, versus the MDR which is more open. Yes, the service may be better, but the different food menu would be the enticement for us. We just want to make sure that we have a table in the MDR, as well.

We also plan to eat in Blu and the Specialty restaurants and will probably go to a SR on the first evening. Should I stop in to see the Maitre d on the first day?

Yes. I doubt that you'll have a problem. Your butler can also secure whatever dining arrangements you want. That's his job

I would have your concierge do it for you.

Just got off the Equinox on March 6th and thought I would post some pictures I made while dining in Luminae. The pictures may not be great but perhaps they will help you visualize the spacing between the tables better. Please remember I said that the carpet, tables, and chairs were to be replaced during the night of the 5th and during the day of disembarkation, so the look will be different on the present sailing.

The first picture shows a curved seating area with three tables for two people. The opening to the right goes to a small galley area where the trays of food were brought from the MDR kitchen before being brought to your table.

P1140976

This show the opposite wall from before. You can tell by looking at the special effect lights in the ceiling exactly where the mirrored wall is that divides Luminae into two main areas. The second is a close up of the special effect lights. They twinkle and are very attractive.

P1150208

P1140978(1)

There are either 6 or 7 windows in the front seating area where we always ate. There was a table for 2 in front of each window. Perhaps this will help you see the spacing between those tables for two. There was approximately 3 feet between these tables and the inset at the windows.

This is a view from the window side toward the opposite wall. The dark wall on the extreme right is the doorway into the restaurant. The hostess's desk is immediately outside that wall. Notice the waiter toward the left of the picture...he is coming from the MDR kitchen and heading to the other section of the restaurant that I mentioned was on the other side of the mirrowed wall. Also notice the long seating area on this wall. The one on the extreme left has a table for 6 with all other tables in this half of Luminae being a mixture of tables for 2 or 4.

P1150883

To respond to some of the previous posts I would like to say that we felt that Luminae was beautiful and did not remind us of a diner at all. We were informed that as suite guests, our assigned dining room was Luminae. However, I feel sure that if someone in a suite wished to dine in the MDR, that that would be arranged.

Should my pictures not attach, I will try again later!!! They did not show when I previewed my post. Perhaps one of you can help me if they are not there for you to see.

Thanks, We'll be on the Constellation transatlantic next month.

Hi Dramamine 2,

I'll be on the sailing with you. Can't wait to try Luminae.....do hope they have the new menus rolled out.

Do you suppose the suite in room dining menu will come from the new restaurant. It really doesn't matter, just wondering! :D

Donna

Just got off the Equinox on March 6th and thought I would post some pictures I made while dining in Luminae. The pictures may not be great but perhaps they will help you visualize the spacing between the tables better. Please remember I said that the carpet, tables, and chairs were to be replaced during the night of the 5th and during the day of disembarkation, so the look will be different on the present sailing.

The first picture shows a curved seating area with three tables for two people. The opening to the right goes to a small galley area where the trays of food were brought from the MDR kitchen before being brought to your table.

P1140976

This show the opposite wall from before. You can tell by looking at the special effect lights in the ceiling exactly where the mirrored wall is that divides Luminae into two main areas. The second is a close up of the special effect lights. They twinkle and are very attractive.

P1150208

P1140978(1)

There are either 6 or 7 windows in the front seating area where we always ate. There was a table for 2 in front of each window. Perhaps this will help you see the spacing between those tables for two. There was approximately 3 feet between these tables and the inset at the windows.

This is a view from the window side toward the opposite wall. The dark wall on the extreme right is the doorway into the restaurant. The hostess's desk is immediately outside that wall. Notice the waiter toward the left of the picture...he is coming from the MDR kitchen and heading to the other section of the restaurant that I mentioned was on the other side of the mirrowed wall. Also notice the long seating area on this wall. The one on the extreme left has a table for 6 with all other tables in this half of Luminae being a mixture of tables for 2 or 4.

P1150883

To respond to some of the previous posts I would like to say that we felt that Luminae was beautiful and did not remind us of a diner at all. We were informed that as suite guests, our assigned dining room was Luminae. However, I feel sure that if someone in a suite wished to dine in the MDR, that that would be arranged.

Should my pictures not attach, I will try again later!!! They did not show when I previewed my post. Perhaps one of you can help me if they are not there for you to see.

I'm trying again to post my pictures!

P1140976(3).jpg.39940fd50183ba81e90d29a3d14425a6.jpg

P1150208(2).jpg.b5eaf9125d099e24029493692aee8c07.jpg

P1140978.jpg.d46508bbcf9e9a825334ef4d0ee73750.jpg

P1140987(2).jpg.048aeac5d622d1b3b3bbc9b6e1440a4e.jpg

P1150883.jpg.d720e583114bc19cadbb8814118dc50f.jpg

I would have your concierge do it for you.

Butler or Concierge?

Good to hear from you again. ;) I see that you will be sailing on the Constellation again. We have friends that will be on the crossing. :)

Thank you so much for posting these pics as well as your description of the room.

Six weeks tomorrow I will be in Luminae enjoying an embarkation lunch :D

How did I miss that we can have embarkation lunch in Luminae. That would be wonderful not having to fight the buffet. HAL offers repeat cruisers a chance to eat in the MDR on embarkation. Nice touch. ;)

Happy Cruiser - Are there any windows in the second half of Luminae? Did you ever see tables of 5 or 6 there?

Edited by Iamthesea

Butler or Concierge?

Good to hear from you again. ;) I see that you will be sailing on the Constellation again. We have friends that will be on the crossing. :)

How did I miss that we can have embarkation lunch in Luminae. That would be wonderful not having to fight the buffet. HAL offers repeat cruisers a chance to eat in the MDR on embarkation. Nice touch. ;)

Yes, I can't wait to see what Luminae will look on the Constellation. I'm hoping someone will read this and report back. Otherwise it will be me. I'll be back in time to do some summer gardening, since the gardner is back in the slammer, and I have no idea when he'll get out. Winters are always more fun to travel and get out of upstate NY.

I'm trying again to post my pictures!

Thanks for posting the pictures... It does all seem like it could be a nice space.

Think I will push for a window seat though, not a fan of tables where someone has to stare at a wall for the entire dinner :eek:, however pretty that wall might be it's still a wall.. Any advice?

Stephen

Thanks for posting the pictures... It does all seem like it could be a nice space.

Think I will push for a window seat though, not a fan of tables where someone has to stare at a wall for the entire dinner :eek:, however pretty that wall might be it's still a wall.. Any advice?

Stephen

We liked that we did not have a set time that we had to be in Laminae. You can just show up whenever and be seated. You also do not have assigned seats. We like to dine around 6pm and were actually the first two to be seated on the night Laminae opened (the fourth night of the cruise). We were seated at a window table which we always enjoy. We mentioned to the hostess that we had liked our table and we were seated at that same table almost every night. On the nights that we arrived between 6:30 and 7:00 we were either at our usual table or the table beside it (but always a window table). So my advice is to just ask the hostess for a table where no one has to face a wall. Then let the hostess know whether or not you enjoyed the table you were given. As I mentioned there were never a lot of people between 6-7pm so the hostess came by almost every night and asked about our day and if we were happy with our table. This was also true of the Maitra-D and the Sommelier (even though after the second night of telling him we would not care for wine...he would just stop by, pick up the wine glasses and chat a minute).

We will be the traveling in a suite and assigned to this Dining venue. Were there any tables for 4 at the windows? I love a window view. Thanks for posting. Bermuda on the Summit May 24th. I can't wait after this brutal winter here in the NE

Thanks for the pictures! I am sure it looks nicer in-person with the dim lighting and all, but that carpet looks horrible in the pics..so does the fabric on the seat of the chairs. I thought they were going with browns and cream colors? I guess not. hmmmm

Stephen

How about looking at your dinner companions.;) Maybe even having a conversation with them?

Thanks for the pictures! I am sure it looks nicer in-person with the dim lighting and all, but that carpet looks horrible in the pics..so does the fabric on the seat of the chairs. I thought they were going with browns and cream colors? I guess not. hmmmm

As far as I can tell, the carpeting, tables and chairs are from the MDR. Previous posters have indicated that the new carpeting, tables and chairs will be installed before the official opening.

As has been previously stated (I'm pretty sure on this thread) that is the old carpet and old chairs, they were being replaced the night after the cruise ended when the pics were taken.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This is so exciting. This concept seems like it'll be amazing - and I love the idea of destination-oriented menus. We have upgraded all of our upcoming cruises to Sky Suites to take advantage of this new dining venue. Really looking forward to hearing reports back from the first experiences.

Michael & Omar

Why dont we all just wait and try the chairs before we decide they are not comfortable, or they are too short.

The negativity shines through...............I for one will look forward to experiencing the new restaurant when we next cruise, it is a suite bonus and I am absolutely sure one of the reasons we ALL book is a suite is for the extra perks it brings - exclusive dining one of them