Trying to pack light

Cruzfan34

Something I'm trying for our next trip is going with a few "day to night" looks. So like a simple wrap dress with flip flops or Toms during the day in port, and then change it up with some accessories and sparkly shoes at night.

The other thing I've been trying (in everyday life as well) is a capsule wardrobe. The idea is to pick a few colors that you love and then try and only purchase pieces that fit into that scheme. Ideally, every item in your closet can be worn a few different ways, and with just about anything else in the closet. I'm still working on it, but there are some really great examples on Pinterest. So for my upcoming cruise, everything except my formal dress and swimming suite will be white, navy, coral or teal/minty blue. Then I can mix and match them to create different outfits. I'm also planning on packing a bunch of accessories that I can use to change up the look. A couple of cool statement necklaces and scarfs take up so much less space than full outfits!

Are you satisfied with the ship's laundry? I really prefer to do it myself, but on our next trip (Holland America Niew Amsterdam transatlantic) there are no laundry facilities, only the 24 hour service.

We only use the ship's laundry - I can't imagine spending precious vacation time waiting for the washer or dryer cycles to end. I send everything except fine silks, and have not been disappointed - shirts, blouses, pants will all come on hangars, and the rest will be in tissue in a lovely wicker basket finished with a gold seal. My clothes don't get the royal treatment at home, believe me! You can sign up for the unlimited laundry package when you board, or every few days fill up the big blue laundry bag to the max for $20.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm taking a transatlantic crossing this August, then spending 2 more weeks in Europe. I'm going to do my best to keep everything in ONE carryon: this one.

I bought 5 reversible silk sari wraparound skirts like these. I had two already, so now I have seven--that's two weeks' worth of skirts right there, and I'll be packing a handful of solid-color blouses and a few cardigans in there too.

The skirts, being so light, squash down and take up very little space. Also, the fact that they're wraparound/adjustable will make the post-cruise bloating a little more bearable!

I plan to bring three pairs of shoes: silver sandals, black sandals, and dress shoes. Probably a pair of flip-flops too.

I have a few more items of clothing I'd like to bring, but I made the rule for myself that NO separate can come along unless it goes with several other items in the suitcase. The evening dresses will be a challenge, but where there's a way...

Your bag reminds me of my tried and true Patagonia bag with a similar size/style. If you pack smart, you can fit a lot in a bag like that. (Problem is that it is then very heavy if you have to carry it/wear it for very long!)

Be sure your sandals have good support for walking in Europe -- lots of cobblestones, and if you are going to any ruins you might also face some rough terrain.

Your bag reminds me of my tried and true Patagonia bag with a similar size/style. If you pack smart, you can fit a lot in a bag like that. (Problem is that it is then very heavy if you have to carry it/wear it for very long!)

Be sure your sandals have good support for walking in Europe -- lots of cobblestones, and if you are going to any ruins you might also face some rough terrain.

Oh yes. My tried-and-true Born sandals are on the list! They've never let me down.

I did a trial run with that bag over the New Year's holiday, and was so pleased. Because there's no hard frame in it, it seems infinitely expandable; there was always space to tuck in one more thing. Granted, that was only for a week, but I wasn't packing nearly as conscientiously as I plan to pack this summer.

Having a big purse helps too. :)

Thanks so much for your response. Good to know there is a choice of laundry packages.

We are relatively new to cruising, having spent many years RVing and doing the type of overseas travel that only requires a pair of zip-off pants and a travel shirt. So, I'm very used to doing the laundry as we go, and consider having access to machines a "luxury"! Having laundry delivered to me wrapped with a gold seal is out of my range of experience. :-)

Haha, I'm loving that they list not only the models' height (so as to give some size reference/context) but that he's a Sagittarius and she's a Taurus. Too funny. That looks like a great bag, and so light!

Timbuk2 - a great company!!! Have a few of their messenger bags. They also put some videos on their website on how to use/pack their bags. That Wingman is a very good travel bag. And, I like the BoHo chic of those skirts! If I was a skirt/dress person, I'd do those.

Bowie MeMe,

Have you looked into one of those ultra light down jackets that compresses into a bag for your cold weather instead of wearing the coat on the plane? I got one for Alaska and I'll need it again in South America, but only a few days of the trip. It can be a lumbar or neck pillow on the plane. It's so light, only 9oz, I love it.

OP,

I did 10 nights in Europe last May in a 22" carryon. I don't know if I could do it for a cruise, but one checked bag per person should be totally doable. We usually have a 25" each. I take travel shampoos and conditioner and throw out as I use them. But after many trips, I realized I don't need nearly the amount of product that I think I do. I bought some of those small screwcap containers for moisturizer, hair product, foundation, etc.. and really never use them totally up. The hardest part for carry on is hair spray, mainly because my preferred brand doesn't come in a travel size and I have to make due with another brand. I will re-wear a pair of black pants or a skirt at dinner 2 or 3 times. I will hand wash some of my nicer items if I have to, but send the gym clothes to the laundry. I love packing cubes for organization. But I know things never re-pack as nicely as the first time!

What was the brand of your down jacket, please?

We did 16 nights in Europe (4 on land and 12 on a cruise). My stuff was easy - I had to talk DH into renting a tux to save the space and it worked out brilliantly - a nice fabric and near perfect fit.

I have a bunch of bottles that Princess used to give us. It took a couple of dishwasher runs to get the eucalyptus scent out of them, but they are perfect for shampoo, conditioner and body oil - I think they are 2 oz. I've never had a leak when I remember to close them.:o Face creams go into recycled eye cream containers - an ounce is plenty for at least 2 weeks.

I am a new devotee of the bundling packing method - I never did bookmark the site, but it shows how 16 garments can be bundled up into a carryon without even making in bulge.

My challenge is always the extras - I have a digital SLR with lenses, iPad, Kindle (that usually doesn't make the cut), phone and assorted chargers & cords. But we've done carry-on only for the last few trips and I'm hoping that DH is convinced that it's the way to go.

The "sacrifice" is no fancy evening gowns, but I'm ok with that. I have a couple of maxi dresses that I can glam up with nice jewelry and a sparkly shawl and that works on the mass market lines that we favor. I'm not sure what I would do if we ever sail on Cunard.:eek:

Packable jackets I think are really great. The question is what filler material is best, down or synthetic. There are pluses and minuses for both. One biggest problem with down is it doesn't dry fast if you get it wet. For this reason I chose the synthetic filler. If you have down you may want to take a waterproof outer shell just in case.

This site from REI will explain the differences in fillers. http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insulated-outerwear.html

Shak

An alternative to a reversible dress is take a simple dress and bring multiple wraps, jewelry, etc. I have found that the secret to packing light is to have a basic solid color for bottoms and then bring tops that coordinate. I usually go with black bottoms - long shorts, capris and a skirt ) both of which can double for day or evening depending on the top and accessories chosen. If you not one who likes to wear black, go with navy, brown, gray, or beige for the bottoms. Everything matching means fewer shoes are needed too,

Next time you are at the pharmacy, try asking the druggist for a few watertight containers. They have always given me a few for free. The small cough syrup bottles are great for liquids and seal very well for conditioner and shampoo. I use the childproof, wide pill bottles for hair gel. Travel containers can be so expensive and still leak.

I've found that the naglene leakproof bottles (I get mine at The Container Store) are actually leakproof (well, I've never had one leak and they've gone to The Galapagos and to Europe a few times). I also swear by using travel cubes and folders to pack - this makes things much easier for me.

Oh, one tip I read that I found helpful was to use contact lens carrying cases for creams. They travel well and don't take much room. I use them for eye cream, rash cream (sometimes the sun is not my friend), concealer and foundation.

I would suggest canning the garment bags and go with a garment sleeve for your main luggage. That will force you to cut back on what you bring.

I use folders and cubes to pack. When I get to the cruise ship I hang my suite but put the folders and cube directly in a drawer or closet. As I use them I either hand wash items or have the ship launder my clothing and place and replace them in the folder or cubes. At the end of the cruise repacking is simple and I don't have a bunch of laundry to do when I get home.

Shak

What are the "folders and cubes?"

I've found that the naglene leakproof bottles (I get mine at The Container Store) are actually leakproof (well, I've never had one leak and they've gone to The Galapagos and to Europe a few times). I also swear by using travel cubes and folders to pack - this makes things much easier for me.

Oh, one tip I read that I found helpful was to use contact lens carrying cases for creams. They travel well and don't take much room. I use them for eye cream, rash cream (sometimes the sun is not my friend), concealer and foundation.

This is one of the very best tips I have ever seen!!! Anyone who wears contacts ends up with a lot of cases...now they have a dual purpose. They never, never leak and are so small that you can pack several. I love this tip! Thank You!!!

I have the Uniqlo Water Defender down coat. I live in FL so it's not something I will get a huge amount of use from, so I didn't want to spend a fortune on a North Face. The sizing runs small so be mindful of the size chart. I wear a 4-6 in misses and have a medium. I've not had to test it in the rain yet, but I'll be in Seattle in March, I'm sure it will rain sometime :rolleyes:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/outerwear/water-defender-ultra-light-down.html

I use and Intuition shaver, and the little cases the refills come in are perfect for a day's supply of pills. I also put my "lotions and potions" as my hubby says, in these, too. One little case holds a 10 - 14 day supply. I use them for face cream, sunscreen, hand lotion, aquaphor, etc.

They also stack nicely in my toiletries bag, and take up about 3/4 less room.

Edited by pcur

I have the Uniqlo Water Defender down coat. I live in FL so it's not something I will get a huge amount of use from, so I didn't want to spend a fortune on a North Face. The sizing runs small so be mindful of the size chart. I wear a 4-6 in misses and have a medium. I've not had to test it in the rain yet, but I'll be in Seattle in March, I'm sure it will rain sometime :rolleyes:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/outerwear/water-defender-ultra-light-down.html

You did see where it says that jacket is not waterproof, but only water-resistant and will not work if in the rain for extended periods of time, right? I hope you're taking an umbrella with you!!

You did see where it says that jacket is not waterproof, but only water-resistant and will not work if in the rain for extended periods of time, right? I hope you're taking an umbrella with you!!

Yep, I did! Will definitely take an umbrella too.

I use and Intuition shaver, and the little cases the refills come in are perfect for a day's supply of pills. I also put my "lotions and potions" as my hubby says, in these, too. One little case holds a 10 - 14 day supply. I use them for face cream, sunscreen, hand lotion, aquaphor, etc.

They also stack nicely in my toiletries bag, and take up about 3/4 less room.

That is a great tip. I use this razor too and even though it's a little on the large size to pack, not having to pack shave cream/gel is a great bonus. But I always toss the cases at home, now I'll save them up for the future.

• 3 weeks later...

@ Coribelle

Hi! We're going to be on your same cruise (TA to Venice, for us).

The [deserved] reputation of the on-ship laundry is that EVERYTHING will be washed on hot and dried on hot. Very few of our things can handle that (*maybe* my husband's nylon pants...), and (1) we have honed our wardrobes such that I will not risk losing them to this treatment, and (2) we'll be travelling with carry-on only so I definitely do not intend to risk having items ruined from our limited selection for the trip. Therefore I am indeed going to do a little hand-wash every few days. I'd rather spend my evenings washing up, than my days ashore shopping for replacements!

I just ordered some S2O laundry sheets, after reading in the Amazon reviews that they can be cut in quarters for a sink's worth of handwashing.

Remember that you do not have to "do" the formal nights if it doesn't appeal to you. You can eat at the buffet those nights. Like slidergirl, I have a smart reversible dress and my DH will take one dress shirt, a couple ties, and a Travelsmith blazer. If that's not formal enough, we'll eat in the buffet (the food is usually the same and you get to choose your own sides and portion size!).

PS -- I'm not judging anyone here! Power to you if your clothes can handle the ship's laundry conditions. My step-mom does her laundry that way at home too. Me, I have taped my dryer control to the "delicate" setting for everything, and I still hang dry at least half of my own clothes!

@ Coribelle

Hi! We're going to be on your same cruise (TA to Venice, for us). The [deserved] reputation of the on-ship laundry is that EVERYTHING will be washed on hot and dried on hot.

I WONDERED ABOUT THAT. I, too, wash and dry everything on cool, after very careful sorting.Thanks for your comments and good information. I can't imagine making do with just a carry on, but applaud your decision. I admit I am nervous about the prospect of lost luggage on the flight from Denver to FLL. Maybe I should try harder.

Well, the reason is presumably to sterilize things and "keep people well". I suppose also keeping track of what load has requested more delicate handling and meeting expectations would be a hassle!

Don't beat yourself up about checking vs carry-on. We got to this point after 20+ years of 3 or more foreign trips per year (seven were cruises)... And I could open a store with the various bags and suitcases we've tried during that time.

We actually took TOO little one time! (We took tiny little collapsible suitcases to Ecuador, with only the shoes on our feet. The heel fell off my shoe/boot in the airport arriving in Quito! I got really lucky as there was a indoor mall two blocks from the hotel.) So now we wear a pair and carry a pair and both of us have had subsequent footwear failure and ended up with just the other one, since then.

I do one thing that hardly anyone recommends -- we pack the heavier, lace-up shoes and wear comfy slip-ons. Air travel is so uncomfortable anyway! esp. with sometimes multiple security check-points, etc.

Many nice tips here, I have always been a carry-on only for travels everywhere and up to 30 days.

As said earlier everything needs to go with everything. Reversible clothing is great & plan clothes that can be layered & handwashed. One of my favorite tricks is a floor length long black skirt. I can wear it with a black top & it appears to be a long dress. As an alternative I can pull it up to make it a strapless knee length dress. Then if you want it can also be used as a knee length black skirt if you have a blouse to wear over top.

Best advice in my 48 states & 56 country travels 56 countries travels is... Never travel with anything more than you yourself can carry. You need to be self sufficient, help isn't always available.

Above all pack patience, humor & compassion for others.

@ Marsha

That is an interesting tip! I was never compelled to take (or own) a 'maxi' skirt -- but your ideas about an elastic-waist one being a strapless dress, and layered with straight-bottom blouses are great! I have a reversible dress that is my cruise-to-go, but as we seem to be cruising more I may have to get THE SKIRT!

And wonderful parting wisdom!