OBC and Exchange Rates

cbr663

First time X passenger. Our cruise is next week and with the Canadian dollar so low now, we are thinking of buying OBC for our cruise. OBC prices on X website are quoted in $CAD, but the ship currency is $US. Does anyone know what happens if we buy OBC for $27.50 CAD, how much OBC $US will actually be credited to our account?

I can't confirm this applies to shipboard credits but this week I upgraded to the Primium drink package. The website lists the upgrade as $11.50 US ($10 plus 15% tip). I paid $12.54 Canadian which works out to a 91 cent Canadian dollar. Not bad considering we are around 80 cents today.

You can only do this if your cruise is booked in Canadian dollars. I booked a cruise through a US TA a few years back and since the booking was in US $ all transactions were in US $ as well.

Does anyone know how far in advance you can phone and add on board credit to your cruise? My next cruise isn't until April next year and right now I can't buy anything online for it.

As soon as you have booked. We have bought OBC 21 months ahead of a cruise in the past. OBC is not sold like excursions or specialty dining. You buy it through Gifts by Celebrity online [but this is not advised. Phoning Celebrity is the best way to do it.

Edited by Project_gal

As soon as you have booked. We have bought OBC 21 months ahead of a cruise in the past. OBC is not sold like excursions or specialty dining. You buy it through Gifts by Celebrity online [but this is not advised. Phoning Celebrity is the best way to do it.

Thanks. Does it sometimes not go through if you do it online?

Update....read the Aussie OBC thread. I'll be watching my credit card to see if it does go through

Edited by Cruise Junky

OBC is sold in US$25 units.

Bought some tonight for £14.90 per unit. Much better rate than tourist exchange rate and even though our cruise was booked by our US TA we were still able to purchase OBC. I thought we would only be able to do this using a UK TA. Will keep a close eye on the credit card to see if it really does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bought some tonight for £14.90 per unit. Much better rate than tourist exchange rate and even though our cruise was booked by our US TA we were still able to purchase OBC. I thought we would only be able to do this using a UK TA. Will keep a close eye on the credit card to see if it really does work.

Interesting! Others have reported that they have only been able to purchase in the currency of the booking. Isn't that what we love about Celebrity - consistency!

You are so right Sue. I went into the booking and when I went to buy OBC I got a message saying all charges would be in GBP. We have done this many times but only when we booked in the UK. Have never been in a position where we have not used all our OBC but this time bought quite a lot. Do you know what happens with unused OBC if you have purchased it. Thanks. Elaine

You are so right Sue. I went into the booking and when I went to buy OBC I got a message saying all charges would be in GBP. We have done this many times but only when we booked in the UK. Have never been in a position where we have not used all our OBC but this time bought quite a lot. Do you know what happens with unused OBC if you have purchased it. Thanks. Elaine

As it is bought OBC it is refundable and will be put back onto whatever card your ship board account is linked to. Unlike OBC from promos or TAs which may be (not always) non- refundable in which case it is lost. Non- refundable OBC is supposed to be used first but I would just check a few days prior to the cruise ending to make sure.:D

As it is bought OBC it is refundable and will be put back onto whatever card your ship board account is linked to. Unlike OBC from promos or TAs which may be (not always) non- refundable in which case it is lost. Non- refundable OBC is supposed to be used first but I would just check a few days prior to the cruise ending to make sure.:D

However, you can request any refundable surplus to be refunded in cash [uS$]. This is the advisable route because you will most likely take a hit with the exchange rate if you have it refunded to your credit card.

Just thought I would re-enforce that a non USA resident, who booked through a USA web based TA, can buy OBC in their own currency on the Celebrity website.

After reading this thread I thought it was worth a try. Failed the first time, went through the second.

Canadian, booked on USA web TA. On celebrity I just bought $25USA for $27.20CAN. XE.com showing $31.13 Can for same amount.

Thanks for the discussion guys,

Cheers, h.

animated-smileys-drinking-049.gif _______________________

Just thought I would re-enforce that a non USA resident, who booked through a USA web based TA, can buy OBC in their own currency on the Celebrity website.

After reading this thread I thought it was worth a try. Failed the first time, went through the second.

Canadian, booked on USA web TA. On celebrity I just bought $25USA for $27.20CAN. XE.com showing $31.13 Can for same amount.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the confirmation.

We have never purchased our cruise in anything but the pound sterling but, until recently, everything I had read on Cruise Critic said that you had to purchase OBC in the currency of your original booking.

Did you have to do something different the second time in order to get it to work? [i always jump in on these threads and want to make sure that I give the correct advice.]

Thanks again.

It would be great to get similar feedback from Australia and, then, we would have a global picture.

Edited by Project_gal

Cheers, h.

Is your booking in Cdn? I use a US based TA but my booking is in Cdn and allows me to purchase excursions and gifts in Cdn.

Just thought I would re-enforce that a non USA resident, who booked through a USA web based TA, can buy OBC in their own currency on the Celebrity

Gifts can come from anyone in any country. The Celebrity web site figures out where you are from your IP address and automatically sets that as your country.

You can select a different country from the drop-down list at the bottom of the page (below the "COUNTRY" and above the "TRAVEL TOOLS" headings) .. then all charges will be in the currency of the selected country.

Best deal now is US$25 for AU$25 (AU$1.00 currently US$0.788 and dropping like a stone) .. think about it ..

is there a upper limit ?

I've seen a limit of 10 items per order - but how often you are able to order?

looks like a good deal....

The most you can do at once is 9 lots of $25 but once you have ordered that before you enter your card details simply select continue shopping or whatever it is (I can't remember at the moment) we have ordered 3 lots of 9 at the same time that way.

Edited by Pean

The most you can do at once is 9 lots of $25 but once you have ordered that before you enter your card details simply select continue shopping or whatever it is (I can't remember at the moment) we have ordered 3 lots of 9 at the same time that way.

We have done similar 9 x $25 ($225) for my wife and the same for myself. :D

bccolaman, we pay with a Canadian Credit card, but with a USA dollar pricing, if that helps.

Project_gal, Just the website being quirkey, nothing different was done between first and second attempt.

Cheers, h