Spoiled by Disney

rover11

We had an amazing 4 night cruise on the Dream in December with the family. It was our first cruise, and grandma and grandpa were bitten by the cruise bug, and want to cruise again with just the two of us. The problem is that looking at other cruise lines and reading reviews, i have feeling that other "adult" cruise lines wont measure up, Disney set the bar so high!

The obvious answer is take another Disney cruise, but can anyone suggest another line and ship that we would enjoy. Good food is very important to us. Thank you

For an adult, kid-free cruise I recommend Celebrity. Food is so subjective and every mass-market cruise line has hits and misses. Also, everyone has different opinions on food and what kind of dining makes their cruise a hit.

I haven't been on Carnival (yet), Princess or Norweigan..... but between Royal, Disney and Celebrity I prefer the food on Celebrity. I really want to try Aqua class next so we can eat at Blu.

I would definitely go on another Disney cruise - even without kids in my party!

Dh and I struggled with this too but ended up booking another Disney cruise for just us. We were going to try another line but I though why? I got a great deal on DCL and we know it like the back of our hands. Honestly theres nothing quite like Castaway Cay! Good luck in your decision, sorry I couldn't help much lol.

We had an amazing 4 night cruise on the Dream in December with the family. It was our first cruise, and grandma and grandpa were bitten by the cruise bug, and want to cruise again with just the two of us. The problem is that looking at other cruise lines and reading reviews, i have feeling that other "adult" cruise lines wont measure up, Disney set the bar so high!

The obvious answer is take another Disney cruise, but can anyone suggest another line and ship that we would enjoy. Good food is very important to us. Thank you

We love Disney cruises! Our kids were in their 30s when they first cruised with us and that was on Disney. For adult only cruises, we like the Magic and Wonder, as their adult areas are better IMHO. Yet we "escape from winter" almost every year for a 4 night Dream cruise!

A couple recommendations from us: (1) Celebrity, pretty darn good across the board; we really like Aqua Class on the "S" ships and restaurant Blu. (2) I think Oceania's Marina (and Rivera) are a cut above, especially the food.

Later this year we will try Azamara to see how they measure...

We enjoyed all our cruises on Disney, Royal Caribbean and Holland America. We had a bit different expectation for different ships as we knew they offered somewhat different products, even though with many similarities. Maybe choose your next cruise based on itinerary, which other lines will offer more choices.

We have cruised with Disney and Royal. We prefer the food on Royal a LOT more.

If you have an itinerary with Coco Cay, well I consider it to be equal to Castaway (or do I feel Castaway is equal to Coco?). They are different, yes, but they both have great things about them.

We were on Freedom of the Seas after our second Disney Dream cruise, and had no wish to be on Dream. We were on Dream twice now, and yearned to be on Freedom.

And that's WITH a kid, who feels exactly the same way.

Another vote for Celebrity,which is the "upscale" line owned by Royal. The food was much better than Disney, but the entertainment wasn't as good. Price lower than DCL--you might want to spend the difference and upgrade your cabin. The "normal" cabins are at least 1/3 smaller than DCL. This was on the Infinity, approximately the same age as the Magic. This is definitely an older adult oriented ship. They are running some good specials right now--alcohol and tips included in very decent fares.

Hi, just do Disney. Or lower your exceptions. Disney has adult only area.

We did Disney twice, they left Galveston, I didn't keep up ports or ships missed Disney in November. Anyway, husband booked royal, we disembarked this morning.

It's a cruise. Nothing special, no wow, or awesomeness, or Mickey bars!

Cons to royal:

smoking is allowed

Only place to get pool towels was by smokers! Had to leave kid with husband, then freaking smell gross smoke.

Service is equal to carnival, nothing fantastic.

Food not great. Pizza horrible. Lobster and escargot was great!

Room service always took 45, not 24/7

Can't bring your own alcohol

Ice cream not 24/7, only in windjamers, which closes by 830.

Soda not included.

I'll do royal again if only option, I'd rather Disney. I'd even give up balcony, if I had to, for Disney.

We haven't done Celebrity. Is it less kid friendly than Royal? Though, Royal had a few perks (toy lending, slide for littles).

Edited by Gardeneroflove

While I won't say Celebrity is not "kid friendly," there were very few kids on board. The adult pool was the covered over one; since this was an Alaska cruise, kids were allowed in this area for 2 hours each day (enforced!) There was a kid program, but with limited hours. No slides, skating rinks, or things that would attract kids.

For "young adults," Celebrity had nothing. The average age on the ship was probably 65.

Don't get me wrong--as adults, we did enjoy the cruise. But it isn't a kid cruise, and it certainly wasn't a young adult/teen cruise. Still, food better than DCL and a Palo style brunch was included (no upcharge). Oh, and they have a high tea. (upcharge for that)

Another vote for Celebrity' date='which is the "upscale" line owned by Royal. The food was much better than Disney, but the entertainment wasn't as good. Price lower than DCL--you might want to spend the difference and upgrade your cabin. [b']The "normal" cabins are at least 1/3 smaller than DCL. [/b] This was on the Infinity, approximately the same age as the Magic. This is definitely an older adult oriented ship. They are running some good specials right now--alcohol and tips included in very decent fares.

Is this Groundhog day Moki's Mom?;) I think we've already had this conversation about the room size of DCL vs Celebrity.

But at least you've upped the difference from 1/2 the size to at least 1/3 smaller.

Most cabins on Celebrity's S class ships (of which there are 5) are 194 square feet.

Most cabins on DCL's 2 older ships are 216 square feet

and on their 2 newer ships the cabins are 203.

Just one more comment about DCL cabins. For families the split baths are awesome.

But for 2 adults, ugh. We went back to the Wonder after cruising Celebrity for a few years and found the bathroom (the one with the shower/tub, not the one with the toilet) to be awful. We missed the showers on Celebrity. Roomy, easy to get in and out of. Much less cramped.

http://www.icruise.com/cruise-lines/cruise-lines.html

in case anyone is interested in the facts.:)

While I won't say Celebrity is not "kid friendly' date='" there were very few kids on board. The adult pool was the covered over one; since this was an Alaska cruise, kids were allowed in this area for 2 hours each day (enforced!) There was a kid program, but with limited hours. No slides, skating rinks, or things that would attract kids.

For "young adults," Celebrity had nothing. The average age on the ship was probably 65.

Don't get me wrong--as adults, we did enjoy the cruise. But it isn't a kid cruise, and it certainly wasn't a young adult/teen cruise. Still, food better than DCL [b']and a Palo style brunch was included[/b] (no upcharge). Oh, and they have a high tea. (upcharge for that)

Sadly, Celebrity has discontinued the brunch. While it was free on Celebrity, Palo brunch is much better.

We achieved Gold status on DCL. I can't believe how lame the benefits are.

We are Elite on Celebrity. Free laundry, 2 hours cocktails daily, 180 minutes of internet. Fluffy robes. Oh how I missed those robes on DCL. Those are the highlights, there are other benefits.

OP, there are some awesome cruise lines out there that are not Disney.

While I won't say Celebrity is not "kid friendly' date='" there were very few kids on board. The adult pool was the covered over one; since this was an Alaska cruise, kids were allowed in this area for 2 hours each day (enforced!) There was a kid program, but with limited hours. No slides, skating rinks, or things that would attract kids.

Don't get me wrong--as adults, we did enjoy the cruise. But it isn't a kid cruise, and it certainly wasn't a young adult/teen cruise. Still, food better than DCL and a Palo style brunch was included (no upcharge). Oh, and they have a high tea. (upcharge for that)[/quote']

Good to know! Husband wanted to try that one, but we have a 3 year old, so kid friendly makes a difference.

we'll just 'need' to try them all oh, darn!

I don't know how big our cabin on the Celebrity Infinity was. I know it felt very small. It had 2 twin beds, a chair, and a small desk. There was very little "walking around" space, and no room for the couch like we are used to on DCL. That said, I was amazed at the amount of built in storage in the room.

Celebrity was a good cruise. But I was told in no uncertain terms that we would be returning to DCL by the 20 something member of the family. She didn't enjoy having to keep up polite pretenses with the senile old ladies at our dinner table (and yes, they were quite confused much of the time), and didn't meet another single within 5 years either side of her age who was not an entertainer or crew member.

Edited by moki'smommy

G

I don't know how big our cabin on the Celebrity Infinity was. I know it felt very small. It had 2 twin beds' date=' a chair, and a small desk. There was very little "walking around" space, and no room for the couch like we are used to on DCL. That said, I was amazed at the amount of built in storage in the room.

Celebrity was a good cruise. But I was told in no uncertain terms that we would be returning to DCL by the 20 something member of the family. She didn't enjoy having to keep up polite pretenses with the senile old ladies at our dinner table (and yes, they were quite confused much of the time), and didn't meet another single within 5 years either side of her age who was not an entertainer or crew member.[/quote']

Funny you say that, last week royal was full old people! Very few kids, lots of grandparents! My dd did find another 3 year old to play with, that was perfect.

Cabin was tiny, and we missed the two toilets and bathtub. Kid would only shower with me....I'm not tiny.... and for some reason, we all had to potty at the same time, or while someone was in shower. Sigh. Our couch, loveseat size, was pulled out as kid's bed, so very limited room for us. We spend time in the room, odd I know!, so the small space caused some stress. Plus, small area and my kid? Not a good match!!

Edited by Gardeneroflove

Is this Groundhog day Moki's Mom?;) I think we've already had this conversation about the room size of DCL vs Celebrity.

But at least you've upped the difference from 1/2 the size to at least 1/3 smaller.

Most cabins on Celebrity's S class ships (of which there are 5) are 194 square feet.

Most cabins on DCL's 2 older ships are 216 square feet

and on their 2 newer ships the cabins are 203.

Just one more comment about DCL cabins. For families the split baths are awesome.

But for 2 adults, ugh. We went back to the Wonder after cruising Celebrity for a few years and found the bathroom (the one with the shower/tub, not the one with the toilet) to be awful. We missed the showers on Celebrity. Roomy, easy to get in and out of. Much less cramped.

http://www.icruise.com/cruise-lines/cruise-lines.html

in case anyone is interested in the facts.:)

Sadly, Celebrity has discontinued the brunch. While it was free on Celebrity, Palo brunch is much better.

We achieved Gold status on DCL. I can't believe how lame the benefits are.

We are Elite on Celebrity. Free laundry, 2 hours cocktails daily, 180 minutes of internet. Fluffy robes. Oh how I missed those robes on DCL. Those are the highlights, there are other benefits.

OP, there are some awesome cruise lines out there that are not Disney.

OK, I looked up the stats on the cabin we were in on Celebrity. It was 170 square feet. This measurement includes the closet and bathroom space (as it does on DCL). This is compared to the "normal" cabin on DCL of 216 square feet per YOUR post. I did not look up the Magic cabin size, I took your word for it. That makes the Celebrity cabin 78% the size of the DCL cabin. So, I stand corrected, it was 1/4 smaller than what we are used to on DCL. I can't address a "standard" cabin on Celebrity--I've only cruise them once. They do seem to have a lot of fancy names for their cabin classes.

If the OP is doing adults only, 2 parents and 2 grandparents, then I vote Holland America or Cunard. Of course I am prejudiced in a favorable way to Cunard, having been on board so many times.

I have never been on the QM2 when I have seen more than a dozen children total. If you want a little more formality in the activities and evenings then go Cunard.

You'll get interesting lectures (authors, ambassadors, MP's, and such), ballroom dancing with a full big band every night (though there is also a disco with DJ & top 40 band), afternoon tea every day (scones, clotted cream, tea sandwiches the works), a British Pub, jazz trios, string quartets, pianists in every bar and very good meals with many selections, and some fun "Royal nights" with things like a masquerade ball and captain's cocktail party; The RADA gives acting lessons & puts on a hilarious and very dirty version of Canterbury tales & even does bedtime stories (the program reads, "bring a nightcap - alcoholic or otherwise"). The ship is elegant - lots of wood, art deco and very attuned to a classic liner atmosphere. Bring whatever alcohol on board which you would like, (I think Disney allows that too).

I don't recommend it if you don't like dressing for dinner. Jackets required every night in MDR, ties/tuxes on formal nights. The music throughout the ship is very nice but the main production shows cannot come close to Disney shows.

If you want a more party-like "non-stop" activity atmosphere, you will find it an unbearable bore, and you should do Disney again. If you want to step back in time and enjoy something you won't find anywhere else, then do a crossing. (Though other itineraries are offered) For me personally, after being spoiled by Disney and Cunard, I won't go on the "party" ships. But everyone likes different things!

Pick a place you want to see in Europe for a few days, fly there and check it out, then cross back to the states. You'll arrive in NY with no jet lag.:)

If you want to see the ship, this blog http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.com/

has a great review of a recent crossing with lots of pictures. Enjoy whatever cruise you do take

OK' date=' I looked up the stats on the cabin we were in on Celebrity. It was 170 square feet. This measurement includes the closet and bathroom space (as it does on DCL). This is compared to the "normal" cabin on DCL of 216 square feet per YOUR post. I did not look up the Magic cabin size, I took your word for it. That makes the Celebrity cabin 78% the size of the DCL cabin. So, I stand corrected, it was 1/4 smaller than what we are used to on DCL. I can't address a "standard" cabin on Celebrity--I've only cruise them once. They do seem to have a lot of fancy names for their cabin classes.[/quote']

Yup, your experience in your cabin on a non-S class ship I do not question.

What I want to have people take from my information is that the majority of cabins in the S class on Celebrity, which comprises the largest portion of their fleet are only a few square feet smaller than DCL.

I've cruised DCL 6 times, always in a balcony cabin. I've cruised Celebrity 6 times in a S class ship, always in a balcony. The difference in size is negligible.

I cruised Celebrity on M class in a balcony and it was right around 195 SF (concierge, those cabins are a tad larger).

I cruised Celebrity on the Century class ship in an ocean view and that cabin was very small.

But it was the lowest priced cabin (ocean view, last minute cruise) and probably around 165 SF.

I cruised Celebrity on the Century in a Royal Suite. Cabin was probably 500+ SF with a 300 SF balcony (not included in the size of the cabin).

I don't base my comments on the 2 cabins I sailed where one was 800+ SF total and the other 165 SF. I base my comments on what the majority of the balconies on both cruise lines have.

:)

Hi, just do Disney. Or lower your exceptions. Disney has adult only area.

After a number of cruises on other lines, we booked DCL.

We had such high expectations and were left with feelings of disappointment in some areas.

The buffet food is lacking in variety and organization. (No omelet, pasta or wok stations). There are no hot breakfast items on the room service menu.The pool deck is a complete madhouse, woefully inadequate swimming areas for families. The adult areas just can't measure up to Celebrity or RCI, the dining rooms are noisy with low ceilings.

Sure, there were many great things too, but I do not agree that one must lower their expectations to consider other lines. It's all personal preference, and DCL did not live up to our standards in some areas.

I don't know how big our cabin on the Celebrity Infinity was. I know it felt very small. It had 2 twin beds' date=' a chair, and a small desk. There was very little "walking around" space, and no room for the couch like we are used to on DCL. That said, I was amazed at the amount of built in storage in the room.

Celebrity was a good cruise. But I was told in no uncertain terms that we would be returning to DCL by the 20 something member of the family. She didn't enjoy having to keep up polite pretenses with the senile old ladies at our dinner table (and yes, they were quite confused much of the time), and didn't meet another single within 5 years either side of her age who was not an entertainer or crew member.[/quote']

It is nice of your 20 something child to pay for your cruises.

I wish mine would buy me a cruise.

Bill

I've only been on DCL as an adult - first with my all-adult family celebrating my parents' 45th anniversary and then as a solo adult traveler...and less than 3 weeks away from my third DCL cruise (second solo) - and I love it.

I cruised HAL with a running group last summer and it just didn't measure up. No adult-only area - and because either the kids' club wasn't that interesting or it had such limited hours, the "small number" of kids was soooooooo obvious all over the ship. Smoking allowed on balconies and in the casino - and no obvious way (other than going down and up stairs) to get to the MDR's main level other than walking through it, and even when it was closed the stench remained. Overall I was underwhelmed by most everything on it - even when I think my cabin stewards thought I was a DCL spy (I had my hoodie and a few other Disney things - it's just who I am) as I returned to my cabin the first morning and both of them AND their supervisor were in the cabin going over everything. Ha!

I will be on RCL with the same group this summer, so we'll see how that compares.

But overall I'm definitely a Disney girl. :)

We have sailed on several cruise lines (DCL, NCL, Carnival, Costa, and Celebrity). We have enjoyed every cruise we have been on. We like Disney but it wasn't our favorite (and that is with 2 younger kids).

We sailed on Celebrity before we had kids. They had the best food of any of our other cruises. But its an older crowd.

We have enjoyed our two carnival cruises. If you pick a 7 day cruise you will find a lot of families. shorter cruises tend to be the more party crowd you often hear about. My kids really enjoyed the kids club. I think Carnival had the best options for lunch or non MDR food. Guys Burgers, A burrito bar, tandoori, a deli, Mongolian Wok, made to order pasta, etc.

It is nice of your 20 something child to pay for your cruises.

I wish mine would buy me a cruise.

Bill

With Carnival prices being so dirt cheap, maybe you should drop a few hint's! ;) lol!

There is nothing to say the daughter wasn't paying her way from what I've read and that it was all paid for?

ex techie

With Carnival prices being so dirt cheap, maybe you should drop a few hint's! ;) lol!

There is nothing to say the daughter wasn't paying her way from what I've read and that it was all paid for?

ex techie

I just figured that when she said she was told in no uncertain terms that they are doing Disney next time that the 20 something must have paid the bill.

I know when I'm paying I go on whatever cruise line I want. Nobody is dictating to me where I spend my money.😄

Bill

We have cruised Disney twice (third coming in Sept). I have researched other lines so many times and always come back to Disney. I know you pay a little more, but I think its worth it.

217 more days!!! :)

It's difficult to make a comparison by research without actually sailing other lines.

Having been on other ships we knew what some other lines had to offer. After much research we thought we would absolutely love DCL. That was not the case. We paid quite a lot more (not just "a little"). For us, the experience did not meet our "over-inflated" expectations.

Glad you are so happy with Disney.