Wireless doorbell for balcony room

lharry

You really don't need to do that....if someone knocks on your door, you'll hear it. Tell them to knock hard.

Or, if you're expecting folks, leave the door ajar....honestly...the cabin isn't so large that you can't hear, or get to the door.

I can never hear a knock on the door when on my verandah. At least one of HAL's ships (I think Rotterdam) has a door bell at Neptune Suite doors. I loved we could be outside and still hear Room Service had arrived. :)

I think bringing one such as OP suggests is a great idea. :)

I can never hear a knock on the door when on my verandah. At least one of HAL's ships (I think Rotterdam) has a door bell at Neptune Suite doors. I loved we could be outside and still hear Room Service had arrived. :)

I guess the crew is used to there being a door bell on those suites so they will use it. What about the OP's temporary one, will the person delivering use it when they're not used to one? I don't know.

Hope you're safe and sound in the storm.:)

I think it's a clever idea as well!

Can't you just go to the balcony after the room service arrives?

We've traveled on over a dozen cruises now in large groups with family and friends and have never had an issue with missing people at the door.

I think it's a clever idea as well!

It's not that it's not a clever or good idea--its a matter of whether or not room stewards or room service delivery will use it as they won't be expecting you to have one UNLESS you are in a suite or point it out otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's not that it's not a clever or good idea--its a matter of whether or not room stewards or room service delivery will use it as they won't be expecting you to have one UNLESS you are in a suite or point it out otherwise.

'Please push here' doesn't take up much room on a sticky note.

Can't you just go to the balcony after the room service arrives?

We've traveled on over a dozen cruises now in large groups with family and friends and have never had an issue with missing people at the door.

It doesn't matter if you haven't. OP doesn't want to be inside the room waiting. That's his whole point.

You really don't need to do that....if someone knocks on your door, you'll hear it. Tell them to knock hard.

Or, if you're expecting folks, leave the door ajar....honestly...the cabin isn't so large that you can't hear, or get to the door.

I guess you've never had a balcony. You cannot hear if someone is knocking if you are out on the balcony. Especially if the ship is underway.

If we are sitting out on our balcony, the last thing I would do is leave the door ajar so that anybody walking by could walk in to our cabin. Here at home, if I'm out mowing the lawn in the back yard, I lock the house doors. We've been broken in to three times now and we live in a small village. I've learned to "Love many...Trust few!"

I'm looking for an inexpensive wireless doorbell. I'm planning to glue a magnet to the back of the button for outside the cabin door, and will carry the actual bell out on the balcony with me so I will hear when someone is at my door (room service, kids, other family, etc).

Has anyone else done this, and did it work well? Do you recommend a specific brand/model? Any problems?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

the staff will NOT use a door bell that is not hardwired to the ship( suites, etc)

it will probably be a complete waste of money and effort.

Wow, quite a variety of opinions here! Just to be clear to everyone, I do enjoy our balcony. I have had to wait in the room before for room service, or for family who are coming to our room, when I would have preferred to be on the balcony with my husband, enjoying the fresh air, views, conversation, etc. we could not hear the knocking on the door while on the balcony. My plan is to glue a magnet to the back of the button so that I can move it inside the room when I am not on the balcony. And I'm looking at a very small $ investment for this. Probably in the $20 range. I can easily place a post it note above the doorbell that says "please ring bell" or something similar.

I don't really understand why some of you seem to be offended that I would want something like this?!?!?! I will be getting one in the next few days for both of my up coming cruises. I would be happy to report back on how successful it was.

I'm looking forward to enjoying my balcony without feeling like I need to stay in my room waiting for a knock. (Oh, and why would a doorbell be worse than leaving your door open for anyone to pop in? No thanks!)

We've had room service delivered even when we're not in the cabin. Maybe room steward opens it for them. I always leave a thank you note with a tip for them and they always find it.

Leave the balcony door open so you can hear a knock.

Wow, quite a variety of opinions here! Just to be clear to everyone, I do enjoy our balcony. I have had to wait in the room before for room service, or for family who are coming to our room, when I would have preferred to be on the balcony with my husband, enjoying the fresh air, views, conversation, etc. we could not hear the knocking on the door while on the balcony. My plan is to glue a magnet to the back of the button so that I can move it inside the room when I am not on the balcony. And I'm looking at a very small $ investment for this. Probably in the $20 range. I can easily place a post it note above the doorbell that says "please ring bell" or something similar. it has been pointed out that the staff may not read english very well, or would ignore any signage on the door as a matter of protocol.

I don't really understand why some of you seem to be offended that I would want something like this?!?!?! I will be getting one in the next few days for both of my up coming cruises. I would be happy to report back on how successful it was.

I'm looking forward to enjoying my balcony without feeling like I need to stay in my room waiting for a knock. (Oh, and why would a doorbell be worse than leaving your door open for anyone to pop in? No thanks!)

I get WHY you want to do this. trust me. SOMEONE who shall remain nameless but was in the same cabin as I was this past week went out to the balcony and failed to hear my pounding of the door ( and ringing of the suite doorbell) when I did a quick rush to take a picture of the very pretty venetian mask in a picture from right outside our door( SiL collects masks) and leaving my key card on the bar like a doofus. and on our last Celebrity cruise the Butler couldn't knock loud enough to be heard over a TV to save his life, let alone if I was on the balcony with the door open.

I am just saying that the staff as general rule will not utilize your battery operated self installed doorbell at all. so if you are thinking it will solve all your room service wait issues, think again.

nor do I think it will actually REMAIN on the door for any length of time. roaming packs of teens, (or drunk adults) would have zero problem running off with it as a prank.

I classify it as a 'great idea in theory, probably not so great in practice'

Good luck with using the doorbell. Personally I think that even if you put a note, room service person will still knock on door since that is whet they are used to doing. Maybe if the note were large and specifically said Room Service, please ring doorbell" they might ring it. But I doubt it.

If you do use it, please return and let us know how it worked.

The ship and the walls are steel, a low powered wireless doorbell is probably not going to penetrate those walls. Good luck. I don't think it will work, but let us know.What are you going to do if one of those family members wants to call you? You won't here the phone, is that a problem?

Wow. Way to be jerks.
Isn't it amazing how people who don't see the point of a new idea feel the need to knock both the idea and the person who offered it up? If it's not for you why not just move on, unless you have some practical observation that might impact the OP's decision process?

I think it's a clever idea, and among the snarky comments there is one helpful idea, to ensure that you figure out how to install in a way that allows you to take it down when you don't want to be disturbed.

Isn't it amazing how people who don't see the point of a new idea feel the need to knock both the idea and the person who offered it up? If it's not for you why not just move on, unless you have some practical observation that might impact the OP's decision process?

I think it's a clever idea, and among the snarky comments there is one helpful idea, to ensure that you figure out how to install in a way that allows you to take it down when you don't want to be disturbed.

I don't think most people's intention was to be snarky. Most were pointing out that while it may be a good idea, it simply might not work for various reasons. The OP can always try it-it might work, it might not, or it may get stolen or broken, or be a source of prank ringings, but won't know till they try it.

The ship and the walls are steel, a low powered wireless doorbell is probably not going to penetrate those walls. Good luck. I don't think it will work, but let us know.What are you going to do if one of those family members wants to call you? You won't here the phone, is that a problem?

I know you asked this question of someone else but my response might pertain to many.

In the cabin category we book, there are two telephones. One by the bedside and one beside a very large couch. The end table on which the second phone sits is right beside the glass door to the verandah. When we sit on the verandah, we can hear that telephone ring but cannot hear a knock on the door which is a fair distance from the verandah door.

I guess the crew is used to there being a door bell on those suites so they will use it. What about the OP's temporary one, will the person delivering use it when they're not used to one? I don't know.

Hope you're safe and sound in the storm.:)

Good point about needing to say something to room service if you want them to ring the bell.

Thanks for the good wishes with this storm. It is a bit unnerving waiting to be slammed by it and keeping fingers crossed power doesn't shut off.

I don't think most people's intention was to be snarky. Most were pointing out that while it may be a good idea, it simply might not work for various reasons. The OP can always try it-it might work, it might not, or it may get stolen or broken, or be a source of prank ringings, but won't know till they try it.

Sure, maybe MOST people weren't trying to be snarky, but there were plenty of snarky comments. "Hope you don't go to bed early", "Just stay in the room", "we've never needed one" are just some examples.

I also don't get the hate on this thread (granted, not from everyone). I don't see how a portable doorbell would affect any cruiser aside from the person who installed it. So why all the negativity? :confused: