Help a NCL girl find her Carnival ship :)

mitsugirly

Which ship is right for me?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship is right for me?

• Magic (cheapest) Jamaica, GC, Cozumel
    • Glory (#2 price) St Maarten, San Juan, Grand Turk
    • Conquest (#3 price) St Maarten, San Juan, Grand Turk, St Kitts
    • Valor (highest price) Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk

I think she meant the Conquest has Guy's Burger and the Blue Iguana Cantina. :o

I'm from South Louisiana, so I may be a bit biased -- but I didn't really enjoy the Fish and Chips. It's a "seafood" option, that has fried seafood.

The Mongolian Wok is a stir fry option... it's wonderful, but the lines can get out of control. They make each bowl a people walk up and pick their ingredients.

I hope that clears up some confusion.

Geesh, I don't know why I didn't figure that out (she forgot the space LOL). I didn't even notice that and thought it was the name of a place. :o

I love stir fry, so that is sounding good as well...just not the long lines. LOL

Hi! I always read your reviews and they've helped us choose quite a few excursions in the past few years. Thanks! :)

I'm going with the Glory for my family in March and I'll tell you why:

1. There is a water slide. This is super important to my kids. If the kids are happy, Mama's happy. The other ships on your list probably have a slide too, but this is still important to me.

2. There is a Guy's and a Blue Iguana. Guy's makes my hubby happy and Blue Iguana makes me happy.

3. The price is right and the itinerary is nice.

For you, I think you and your little fish will like having the slide onboard as well as the pools. I also think you'll like the beaches (again) of St Maarten and also the beaches of Grand Turk. We've been to San Juan and did a beach/pool day at the Marriott there and it was a great day. Also, the Seuss updates would be wonderful for your daughter too.

That's my two cents. You'll have a great time as usual no matter what you choose! :)

Edited by rwandmw
atrocious spelling

We have pretty much only sailed NCL also and decided to try Carnival for our next cruise for new ports. We chose the Glory that has Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk itinerary; St. Thomas is the only port that we have already been to. We like to spend a lot of time on the beach, so I'm really excited to try HMC & Grand Turk. I wasn't too excited about San Juan until I started researching it more. We are going to do the Segway tour just because we have never been on a Segway & for the views. I thought the tours of the rain forest sounded good & depending on your port time, the Bioluminescent Bay sounded neat.

Good luck with your decision! And for flights, did you check Allegiant Air out of Columbus? I have found good rates into FLL using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Taylor95

If you like greasy fattening burgers then Guys is all that.

I have't been on a ship yet with the Burrito Bar but it has its own area just like the pizzeria and deli does. I noticed in some photos that it appears that they give you the meat what you pick and the tortilla for the burrito but it appears you put all the toppings and such on yourself.

http://prntscr.com/5z50b5

The mongolian wok is just that stir fry, you choose yourself the veggies and the amount you like, the type of noodle and or rice and then you give them your bowl and you tell them what type of meat and sauce you like and they make it in front of you.

http://prntscr.com/5z53ac

http://prntscr.com/5z53nh

I do know that a ship doesn't continue having that Aruba itinerary for instance, in April and May there are only three sailings that the Valor goes to Aruba and the same goes with ....the Sunshine for April and May only has one sailing....and the Conquest has 3 sailings that very same time, its not the same as eastern/western caribbean where the ship rotates every other week, these are specific sailing dates.

Some ships have the Blue Cantina and then there is the Burrito Bar both are made for you and you put on the toppings that is like a buffet style. Here is the photo of Blue Cantina, basically they very similar, and yes, Carnival buys the same items and they are on all the ships, one ship doesn't have "better quality" than the other its all the same items.

http://prntscr.com/5z56ge

I did notice that the Valor has three different grills wonder whether they offer different foods, I am not sure as I haven't been on the Valor yet to know.

The Fish and Chips is upstairs yes.

If you have three of the Guys Burgers I can't see choosing the ship just to have three burgers, I would go for the itinerary, as you said you don't care for the extra bars. I think you would much rather have the mongolian wok since you mention you don't eat much meat.

Have sailed all the above ships. Valor most out of them and most recently as well. That being said we did a similar route on Conquest last year and really had a good time. The ship was in good shape and we really liked the features the ship has. One thing I would ask are you flying to the departure port? If so have you considered cruising out of San Juan. We last cruised the Valor from San Juan and went to a few new ports as well as some old favorites. I know from reading some of your other reviews in the past you all like to snorkel and I must say that swimming with the sea turtles in Barbados was one of if not the best thing we have ever done while on a cruise. We did it right off the beach in Barbados for $25pp. Also in addition the Liberty is going to be in San Juan beginning in late March so not sure when you are cruising but it has most of the new bells and whistles that Carnival has now. It may cost a little more getting there but we weighed our options compared to a Western route and when we added it all up including excursions etc it was not really that much more over all. I hope this info helps.

Hi! I always read your reviews and they've helped us choose quite a few excursions in the past few years. Thanks! :)

I'm going with the Glory for my family in March and I'll tell you why:

1. There is a water slide. This is super important to my kids. If the kids are happy, Mama's happy. The other ships on your list probably have a slide too, but this is still important to me.

2. There is a Guy's and a Blue Iguana. Guy's makes my hubby happy and Blue Iguana makes me happy.

3. The price is right and the itinerary is nice.

For you, I think you and your little fish will like having the slide onboard as well as the pools. I also think you'll like the beaches (again) of St Maarten and also the beaches of Grand Turk. We've been to San Juan and did a beach/pool day at the Marriott there and it was a great day. Also, the Seuss updates would be wonderful for your daughter too.

That's my two cents. You'll have a great time as usual no matter what you choose! :)

Aww thanks and I'm glad I have been able to help you out in the past.

I do know that all of the above ships have the water slide (not the nice huge waterslides or the water park like the Dream did, but none the less, a water slide) so I could pretty much go with any of them for that reason and I know that my little fish will love it. However, I do know that after going on the Dream and then we headed back to an older NCL ship (I think it was the Star after that) she kept pointing at the Carnival ship in port and saying "I want to go on the whale tail (yes, she knew what the whale tail was in the past before we ever even sailed Carnival) and pointing at the slides and especially the Sunshine. When we got on our ship with the single small slide, she said "I don't like this ship". LOL So I do know water slides are important to her, but she will have to deal if we don't pick the Magic. :p

I will have to find a new place in St Maarten to go to. I haven't done much research on it. Any suggestions?

Tell me about the Marriott and what you liked about it? Was there any snorkeling there? What was the beach like? How much was a day pass?

I have to say Glory was leading the pack before I started this thread just because of all the extra "goodies" on the ship (over the Valor) and the price is the cheapest. But now...I'm so undecided. :(

We have pretty much only sailed NCL also and decided to try Carnival for our next cruise for new ports also. We chose the Glory that has Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan & Grand Turk itinerary; St. Thomas is the only port that we have already been to. We are beach people also, so I'm really excited to try HMC & Grand Turk. I wasn't too excited about San Juan until I started researching it more. We are going to do the Segway tour just because we have never been on a Segway & for the views. I thought the tours of the rain forest sounded good & depending on your port time, the Bioluminescent Bay sounded neat.

Good luck with your decision! And for flights, did you check Allegiant Air out of Columbus? I have found good rates into FLL using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I REALLY wish the Glory on this cruise was going to HMC. That would be awesome and I would probably just go ahead and pick it. That would give me 3 new ports to visit and I'd just deal with going back to St Maartin. Not that I don't like St Maartin. We have had some wonderful days there. Just that I have been twice now. I wonder if they rotate back and forth or something?

We really wouldn't be able to do the segway with her this young. I'm not even sure I would want to do it if she wasn't with her. They kinda scare me. Do you know that the guy that invented them sold the business several years ago for millions and the owner that purchased it rode one and went off a cliff or something like that and died? Even he couldn't control it. I'm known for breaking bones on my cruises...I'm not sure I'd trust myself on something hard for me to control. :o

I did read up on the rain forest and have seen several people mention that it's just too far away. My friend, born in PR, said that it's much too far to do as well and he thought it would be cutting things too close. I have to agree from what I've heard. On the Conquest, we are there from 7-2 and the Glory is from 7-3:30. So it doesn't sound like much time but does sound like an awesome time!!!

Bioluminescent Bay sounds interesting. I have not seen that mentioned (I don't think). I will have to look it up. Thanks for the info.

Allegiant Air? I have never heard of them. We always fly SW since they seem to be the cheapest every time and with "bags fly free" it's always a no-brainer. Thanks...checking that out too.

Have a wonderful time on your first Carnival cruise. I plan on sailing with them a lot more often. Maybe I'll just do all the ships I picked during the year. Wouldn't that be nice? :D

Geesh, I don't know why I didn't figure that out (she forgot the space LOL). I didn't even notice that and thought it was the name of a place. :o

I love stir fry, so that is sounding good as well...just not the long lines. LOL

We will let you about the burgers, and the burritos ...lol... in 30 days :)

What we like when we sailed Carnival was Seaday Brunch,Huevos Rancheros.. and the 24 grill .. the ruebens are crazy good .. i ordered with tomato on mine the first time, and she always put it on every other time ...

Look at the Pride .. your daughter would enjoy the waterworks ..

ps.. your review of the Sun that we all was on, was spot on ... i got a pic of an octopus and a lobster on our barrier reef / starfish island excursion ..

If you like greasy fattening burgers then Guys is all that.

I have't been on a ship yet with the Burrito Bar but it has its own area just like the pizzeria and deli does. I noticed in some photos that it appears that they give you the meat what you pick and the tortilla for the burrito but it appears you put all the toppings and such on yourself.

http://prntscr.com/5z50b5

The mongolian wok is just that stir fry, you choose yourself the veggies and the amount you like, the type of noodle and or rice and then you give them your bowl and you tell them what type of meat and sauce you like and they make it in front of you.

http://prntscr.com/5z53ac

http://prntscr.com/5z53nh

I do know that a ship doesn't continue having that Aruba itinerary for instance, in April and May there are only three sailings that the Valor goes to Aruba and the same goes with ....the Sunshine for April and May only has one sailing....and the Conquest has 3 sailings that very same time, its not the same as eastern/western caribbean where the ship rotates every other week, these are specific sailing dates.

Some ships have the Blue Cantina and then there is the Burrito Bar both are made for you and you put on the toppings that is like a buffet style. Here is the photo of Blue Cantina, basically they very similar, and yes, Carnival buys the same items and they are on all the ships, one ship doesn't have "better quality" than the other its all the same items.

http://prntscr.com/5z56ge

I did notice that the Valor has three different grills wonder whether they offer different foods, I am not sure as I haven't been on the Valor yet to know.

The Fish and Chips is upstairs yes.

If you have three of the Guys Burgers I can't see choosing the ship just to have three burgers, I would go for the itinerary, as you said you don't care for the extra bars. I think you would much rather have the mongolian wok since you mention you don't eat much meat.

I have to say...you are pretty amazing and thank you so much for your descriptions and links to pictures.

I absolutely love the way that looks with the burrito bar and the mongolian bar. I would absolutely be happy with both of those for sure.

Yes, I love a good greasy cheeseburger every once in awhile, but I guess saying I'd have it 3 times might be an exaggeration with all the other options on the ship. I do know in the past on cruises, I will crave a cheeseburger and usually end up with 1. :p So it's not really a make or break deal, just something I would love to try.

Thanks for the info on the different itineraries. I didn't realize they change like that back and forth.

Does the Valor also have the fish & chips? I'm trying to take notes, honestly, but I think I missed which ship it was on. :confused:

Once again, thanks so much for your descriptions and links to info. :)

Have sailed all the above ships. Valor most out of them and most recently as well. That being said we did a similar route on Conquest last year and really had a good time. The ship was in good shape and we really liked the features the ship has. One thing I would ask are you flying to the departure port? If so have you considered cruising out of San Juan. We last cruised the Valor from San Juan and went to a few new ports as well as some old favorites. I know from reading some of your other reviews in the past you all like to snorkel and I must say that swimming with the sea turtles in Barbados was one of if not the best thing we have ever done while on a cruise. We did it right off the beach in Barbados for $25pp. Also in addition the Liberty is going to be in San Juan beginning in late March so not sure when you are cruising but it has most of the new bells and whistles that Carnival has now. It may cost a little more getting there but we weighed our options compared to a Western route and when we added it all up including excursions etc it was not really that much more over all. I hope this info helps.

Yes, we have to fly to any of the departure ports since we're located all the way up in Ohio. We have drove twice and that was twice too much with it taking us basically 2 days there and 2 days back (with little ones and ME that just can't take that much traveling in a cooped up vehicle with tons of people in it). I will never do that again if I can help it. It always seems to cost us as much for the airfare as it does the cruise...sometimes being even more! :eek:

I have considered flying into San Juan because I have seen it mentioned several times on these boards over the years and it's just too darn expensive and to be honest, San Juan just hasn't really thrilled me with what I have read about it. So, when I think about it, I wonder why I would want to fly into a place I'm not overly excited about cruising to and have an over night pre-cruise stay there and pay more money to get there.

Barbados would definitely be awesome and another place on my radar. So is swimming (or even seeing) a sea turtle while in port. We went to a place that is known for spotting turtles in the area all the time while we were in Freeport based ONLY on that and hoping to see one and didn't. It was a big disappointment and I'm still seeking that opportunity. However, Barbados isn't one of the ports that's listed for any of these cruises during my week I can go. :(

We will let you about the burgers, and the burritos ...lol... in 30 days :)

What we like when we sailed Carnival was Seaday Brunch,Huevos Rancheros.. and the 24 grill .. the ruebens are crazy good .. i ordered with tomato on mine the first time, and she always put it on every other time ...

Look at the Pride .. your daughter would enjoy the waterworks ..

ps.. your review of the Sun that we all was on, was spot on ... i got a pic of an octopus and a lobster on our barrier reef / starfish island excursion ..

Thanks Griz, but I have to make up my mind really soon...sooner than 30 days. :eek: :p The prices of air just keeps climbing and at this point, it's going to cost more than the cruise. :(

I just looked at the Pride and it really doesn't have any dates that are good for us plus it seems to go to the same old places I have been going to (with the exception of visiting HMC and Bermuda), so that probably won't work for us.

Wait what? You got a picture of an octopus while at Belize? Do SHARE!!! I haven't seen an octopus yet. Lucky you! Was it at the reef (I assume) or at Starfish Island? What did you think about Starfish Island? We were there when it was Bannister and most people don't like the place and have multiple complaints, but we enjoyed it since the place was just loaded with starfish everywhere. (That's where my profile picture came from). But everyone is different. :)

I am Excited that another Mitsugirly review is coming soon.:)

Not as excited as I am. hehe

Edited by mitsugirly

Mitsugirly, your very welcome its my pleasure to help.

The good thing is the Valor has both the burrito and the mongolian.

Do you eat fish/seafood? The Fish & Chips generally offer items such as ahi tuna, seafood appetizers and salads, fried oysters, fried fish lillets, calamari, bouillabaisse, ceviche.

Yes, the Valor has the Fish & Chips, Mongolian and the Burrito Bar.

Bonaire has a lot of diving and snorkeling. All the waters off the island's coast have been declared a marine park and it is ranked as one of the finest snorkeling/scuba diving destinations. Frommers has it noted that Bonaire Marine Park is one of the top places in the caribbean for snorkeling.

Bonaire Marine Park (Bonaire): All the attributes that make Bonaire a world-class diving destination apply to its snorkeling, too. Snorkelers can wade from the shores off their hotels to the reefs and view an array of coral and colorful fish. In particular, the reefs just off Klein Bonaire receive rave reviews.

http://www.islands.com/snorkeling-bonaire

Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk are just perfect places for what you enjoy.

Starfish island was nice, we found some, also a big conch, we put the conch in the "water pen", its a pen where they keep some starfish, and shells, so others can take pics i guess .. also a new souvenir shop, they have buffet going on, but drinks are 10.00 for frozen drinks .. 4.00 beer .... i will look up pics, it not a big one, and its all "perched up on a coral"...:)

Mitsugirly, your very welcome its my pleasure to help.

The good thing is the Valor has both the burrito and the mongolian.

Do you eat fish/seafood? The Fish & Chips generally offer items such as ahi tuna, seafood appetizers and salads, fried oysters, fried fish lillets, calamari, bouillabaisse, ceviche.

Yes, the Valor has the Fish & Chips, Mongolian and the Burrito Bar.

Bonaire has a lot of diving and snorkeling. All the waters off the island's coast have been declared a marine park and it is ranked as one of the finest snorkeling/scuba diving destinations. Frommers has it noted that Bonaire Marine Park is one of the top places in the caribbean for snorkeling.

Bonaire Marine Park (Bonaire): All the attributes that make Bonaire a world-class diving destination apply to its snorkeling, too. Snorkelers can wade from the shores off their hotels to the reefs and view an array of coral and colorful fish. In particular, the reefs just off Klein Bonaire receive rave reviews.

http://www.islands.com/snorkeling-bonaire

Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk are just perfect places for what you enjoy.

Yes I love seafood...just not what you listed. :eek: I love lobster, crab legs, fish fillets and shrimp. :D So obviously this "fish & chips" place isn't for me?

Thanks for the link...oh my gosh, I have seen so many trumpet fish while snorkeling and I had no idea they could do all that...especially with their shape and coloring. That was a good read! Thanks.

Yea, this cruise sounds like it was made for us with those ports. It's almost like you know me. :p I still can't believe you haven't been on it? Are you sure? You sure are convincing!

I was swimming by and seen an eye move .... lol

It's not a real big one, but was nice to see

also caught a small lobster, but couldn't build a fire underwater to cook it :)

I can't really tell from that picture about the octopus. Can you make the picture bigger? Is it the huge thing that looks like it's over the coral? Did is scurry away after seeing you?

You actually caught the lobster??? What the heck. It didn't try to pinch your fingers off? I see lobster all the time when snorkeling and I would be too afraid to try to catch one. Now my dumb a** will totally pick up something that looks cute and fuzzy not knowing what it is and get the crap stung out of me...Sun cruise and LFK and a fire bristle worm. Yikes!

dont know how to make it bigger ... here is link for pic,

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=14859902014/PictureID=763575103014/a=130099243_130099243/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

i think it will show my email, if you email me then, i will send u pic, and you can post iy up full size, in full size, you will see 1 eye looking at me ..:)

dont know how to make it bigger ... here is link for pic,

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=14859902014/PictureID=763575103014/a=130099243_130099243/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

i think it will show my email, if you email me then, i will send u pic, and you can post iy up full size, in full size, you will see 1 eye looking at me ..:)

It's still too small to really see, especially an eye. It doesn't show your email. It's asking me to sign up. Maybe that's why. Email me at mitsubishigirl19 at hotmail.

I would choose the Magic just based on the water park and ropes course/sports square. I realize it's western Caribbean again, but the Magic is basically a sister ship to Dream and Breeze. I don't think Magic has Guys or Blue Iguana cantina but I'd have to look that up. In my opinion, the Conquest class ships (Glory, Valor, and Conquest) are boring carbon copies of each other, compared to the Dream/Magic/Breeze. Traveling with my child I would choose the Magic- more amenities for them and if they are happy, then so am I . Adults only, I would choose the 8-day on Conquest. The water slide is not the greatest on the conquest class ships and there is only one.

One other thing to consider is transportation from Houston to the port. I have not personally sailed from there, but I hear it is an hour or more from the airport to the port.

I would choose the Magic just based on the water park and ropes course/sports square. I realize it's western Caribbean again, but the Magic is basically a sister ship to Dream and Breeze. I don't think Magic has Guys or Blue Iguana cantina but I'd have to look that up. In my opinion, the Conquest class ships (Glory, Valor, and Conquest) are boring carbon copies of each other, compared to the Dream/Magic/Breeze. Traveling with my child I would choose the Magic- more amenities for them and if they are happy, then so am I . Adults only, I would choose the 8-day on Conquest. The water slide is not the greatest on the conquest class ships and there is only one.

One other thing to consider is transportation from Houston to the port. I have not personally sailed from there, but I hear it is an hour or more from the airport to the port.

The one thing I find weird is that everyone on here hasn't really mentioned the Magic for some reason, but yet it had the most votes the last time I looked at it and the Valor had the least.

Yes, the Magic has all the bells and whistles, but I just want a little more this time around as far as ports. If only the magic would go to Aruba. :D

I do know that the last time I checked on air flight, the tickets to Houston was a heck of a lot cheaper than FLL. Then with the drive and having to find transportation down to Galveston, I really didn't see it any different than any of our other Florida cruises because we always fly into Ft Lauderdale and hire transportation to take us to Miami. So basically the same.

the Bioluminescent Bay sounded neat.

Now that I have looked that up, I do remember seeing pictures of this before and thought it was so cool. However, that's something you have to do at night and we have very little time there (leaving at either 2pm or 3:30pm depending on the ship). :(

I'd go on the ship that goes to ports you want. Even if it's a bit more. I have always wanted to go to Key West so I chose an itinerary with it included and then chose the ship (the Magic because I always wanted to try a cove balcony).