Help a NCL girl find her Carnival ship :)

mitsugirly

Which ship is right for me?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship is right for me?

• Magic (cheapest) Jamaica, GC, Cozumel
    • Glory (#2 price) St Maarten, San Juan, Grand Turk
    • Conquest (#3 price) St Maarten, San Juan, Grand Turk, St Kitts
    • Valor (highest price) Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk

Here is the Sunshine review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=263567

Was looking for my Freedom Review but I guess I didn't do one. We did go to Isla Verde Beach in San Juan. It was ok, definitely not of Sapphire Beach quality but there was sand, sun and water :)

Grand Turk we usually have a big group so we stay close to Margaritaville so the kids can do the pool and the ocean. Without a big group I would probably walk down to Jack's shack or rent a golf cart from Nathans and explore the island.

Bonaire is one of those stops we really want to do soon! My husband is anxious to dive there. Don't know much about the beaches tho.

you can email me for more info at themudds at yahoo dot com

Edited by mommiemudd
addition

I've read a lot of your reviews, and I am already looking forward to the prospect of another review from you!

Couple of thoughts...

I know your timelines are limited and you mentioned wanting to do HMC. Could you do a back to back on a smaller ship? That may be cheaper than even what you are looking at currently.

Is the Freedom an option at all? I think your daughter would love Camp Ocean (Carnival's new kids program) and the Seuss at Sea.

If the ones you posted are really the only ones you want to consider, I vote for the the Conquest. FLL is a very easy place to cruise from, I like the Conquest class layout and I like the updates.

I voted for the Glory, because of price, which is always important to me, and also because she has the "new" American Table menu. The new menu was not popular at first when it rolled out, and still not liked by many, but they have made changes to it, tweaked it, and it looks pretty good to me. MDR menu might not be important to everyone, and actually is not real important to me, but after 6 Carnival cruises with the "old" menu, I would like a change, plus it is nice to be able to order your sides as you please.

So price and mdr menu, but the itinerary is always important to me. I love St Maarten, and recently fell in love with San Juan. I cannot wait till the day I can take a cruise that sails out of San Juan, then will fly down there a few days before the cruise and spend some days there. I felt like I was in Spain. I just loved it there. I know that there must be some beach excursions available there, but also know that they have a rainforest tour, and I would love to do that. Grand Turk, is a place for beach people ( I am one too ), and while I have not yet been there, it is on my bucket list.

After the Glory, my second choice would be Conquest, as it includes St Kitts, another on my bucket list, beautiful island from what I have heard and seen on reviews.

They all sound great and whichever you choose, I will look forward to your review. Love your reviews.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

Mistugirly: I'm anxious to hear if you made a decision! I'm pulling for the Glory because I would love to read your review before we sail her in October ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol, well I guess that's a good reason to book it then! :p

In Aruba don't got to Relextions at Nikki beach. The kids did love the pool and super friendly staff. It's was raining off and off the day we were there and we only had about 4 hours in the beach. Our hubbies were going to dive and we were going to go to Palm beach/eagle beach area. Aruba watersports is the company we were going to use. We will go that route next time. No pics for my reviews. Too lazy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm confused do or don't go there?

We did go to Isla Verde Beach in San Juan. It was ok, definitely not of Sapphire Beach quality but there was sand, sun and water :)

Grand Turk we usually have a big group so we stay close to Margaritaville so the kids can do the pool and the ocean. Without a big group I would probably walk down to Jack's shack or rent a golf cart from Nathans and explore the island.

Bonaire is one of those stops we really want to do soon! My husband is anxious to dive there. Don't know much about the beaches tho.

you can email me for more info at themudds at yahoo dot com

Thanks for the info on the beach in San Juan. There doesn't seem to be many choices for beaches here...or at least not close by from what I'm gathering.

I have heard about renting the golf carts and would love to do that. I was thinking that I heard the there was a new place to rent them from too and that Nathan was getting a few bad reviews lately with the equipment?

I've read a lot of your reviews, and I am already looking forward to the prospect of another review from you!

Couple of thoughts...

I know your timelines are limited and you mentioned wanting to do HMC. Could you do a back to back on a smaller ship? That may be cheaper than even what you are looking at currently.

Is the Freedom an option at all? I think your daughter would love Camp Ocean (Carnival's new kids program) and the Seuss at Sea.

If the ones you posted are really the only ones you want to consider, I vote for the the Conquest. FLL is a very easy place to cruise from, I like the Conquest class layout and I like the updates.

The problem with doing a back to back (IF you are talking about a short 3 and 4 day cruise back to back) is that they only go down to the Bahama area and I want to experience more Caribbean than Bahama. We just like it better there and always find the weather seems nicer further down as well. You can get that far down on a 3 or 4 day cruise. So, I probably wouldn't consider that.

If you are talking about a real back to back (meaning 2 weeks), then that can't be done. My daughter only gets 1 week out for Spring Break and there's no changing the dates of course. It's set in stone. :D

The ones that I have posted are the only ones I can consider because they are the only ones available to different ports for the week we have available.

I did not pick these ships. These are the ships available for the week we can sail. Carnival picked these ships for me. :p :D

They are the ONLY ships I can do and have to pick from. :D

I voted for the Glory, because of price, which is always important to me, and also because she has the "new" American Table menu. The new menu was not popular at first when it rolled out, and still not liked by many, but they have made changes to it, tweaked it, and it looks pretty good to me. MDR menu might not be important to everyone, and actually is not real important to me, but after 6 Carnival cruises with the "old" menu, I would like a change, plus it is nice to be able to order your sides as you please.

So price and mdr menu, but the itinerary is always important to me. I love St Maarten, and recently fell in love with San Juan. I cannot wait till the day I can take a cruise that sails out of San Juan, then will fly down there a few days before the cruise and spend some days there. I felt like I was in Spain. I just loved it there. I know that there must be some beach excursions available there, but also know that they have a rainforest tour, and I would love to do that. Grand Turk, is a place for beach people ( I am one too ), and while I have not yet been there, it is on my bucket list.

After the Glory, my second choice would be Conquest, as it includes St Kitts, another on my bucket list, beautiful island from what I have heard and seen on reviews.

They all sound great and whichever you choose, I will look forward to your review. Love your reviews.:)

Price is very important to me as well, which is why I'm struggling with it. If only the Valor to Aruba, Bonaire and GT was the same prices as the others, I would already have it booked.

The rain forest has been on my mind since considering this place, however, we are not in port long enough to do it I believe. It's a very short port day. :(

I don't care for the american table...does anybody have copies of the new ones that your mentioning of?

I would like to see/know too. What is on this list? I like the sounds of being able to pick your own side dish.

We are not real big MDR people and usually only eat there maybe twice per cruise with the others being at the buffet. It's just more convenient for us with the little one. Waiting on food is not a great thing with a little one who's always "starved" :p so she says. I also like the option of being able to see my food before getting it and if I like it, I can get more versus if I don't, I get something else. This is always a biggie for us, which is why we make use of the buffet the most. It's even better if they have extra places to pick from (like the burrito bar, Guys, Blue Iguana Catina or Mongolian Bar). All big pluses for us for that reason.

Well, I just changed my Bermuda cruise on the NCL Dawn that was supposed to be for May 1st to June 12th. I'm relieved about that. I won't have to take my munchkin out of school now and we will be able to go after school lets out for the summer. ALSO it will be a lot warmer there then. One of my main concerns was that the water temps would be too cold for us to enjoy the beaches....and we all know I'm a beach hog. So now that's taken care of. I just need to figure my Carnival cruise out. YOU GUYS LIKE MY "UNDECIDED" CARNIVAL TICKER? hehe I'll change it to the ship name once I decide.

So now here's "kinda" my dilemma: I will be doing the Bermuda cruise on June 12th. I will be booking something for April for spring break. This basically means I will be cruising 2 months apart. :eek: I've done 3 before, but 2...it's cutting it really close now. So, money might just have to play into the factor of choosing (which sadly might cut the Valor off even though I have been leaning toward it). I will have to see if they offer this particular cruise later in the year and maybe book it then. That could also make all the difference in the world to us as well. It's definitely my #1 pick for the itinerary.

Well, I just changed my Bermuda cruise on the NCL Dawn that was supposed to be for May 1st to June 12th. I'm relieved about that. I won't have to take my munchkin out of school now and we will be able to go after school lets out for the summer. ALSO it will be a lot warmer there then. One of my main concerns was that the water temps would be too cold for us to enjoy the beaches....and we all know I'm a beach hog. So now that's taken care of. I just need to figure my Carnival cruise out. YOU GUYS LIKE MY "UNDECIDED" CARNIVAL TICKER? hehe I'll change it to the ship name once I decide.

So now here's "kinda" my dilemma: I will be doing the Bermuda cruise on June 12th. I will be booking something for April for spring break. This basically means I will be cruising 2 months apart. :eek: I've done 3 before, but 2...it's cutting it really close now. So, money might just have to play into the factor of choosing (which sadly might cut the Valor off even though I have been leaning toward it). I will have to see if they offer this particular cruise later in the year and maybe book it then. That could also make all the difference in the world to us as well. It's definitely my #1 pick for the itinerary.

You can look up which ships are going to Bonaire by month on the Carnival website. In the Explore tab, select Destinations. Then Caribbean; view ports; then select the red balloon that says view all Caribbean ports. Select Bonaire and at the top of the page it will have "find cruises to Bonaire".

You can look up which ships are going to Bonaire by month on the Carnival website. In the Explore tab, select Destinations. Then Caribbean; view ports; then select the red balloon that says view all Caribbean ports. Select Bonaire and at the top of the page it will have "find cruises to Bonaire".

Thanks so much. I was actually on this part of the site last night and didn't even realize it (I was reading the descriptions of each port and some reviews).

It looks like in the future (which I'm seeing a lot of cruises for Aruba all the way until April of 2016) have cruises with the SUNSHINE and the BREEZE! :D (and even the Conquest and others). That would be so cool. A ship I want to cruise bad to the place I want to go. :p

Just gotta ask...why no consideration of ships out of Cali? The Miracle is a fabulous ship and will be going to ports you have not visited (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta).

You said you were sailing in April, right? The fares are consistent with Magic fares and by then, the Miracle should have all the 2.0 upgrades (Guy's and Blue Iguana) and the icing on the cake........potential for a visit to DISNEYLAND (the original!)

I have read several of your posts. Great job BTW. All three ships are very similar. Glory has the american table menu and that offers fewer dinner choices.

Grand Turk is small

Very pretty. Close beach area. Decent snorkeling.

St Kitts is the closest thing in the Caribbean to Hawaii that I have seen

With a volcanic look

Very nice island.

We haven't been to Aruca or Bonaire yet. I hear they are very nice also.

We have been on.all these ships. I would pick Conquest.

Thanks for the info on the beach in San Juan. There doesn't seem to be many choices for beaches here...or at least not close by from what I'm gathering.

I have heard about renting the golf carts and would love to do that. I was thinking that I heard the there was a new place to rent them from too and that Nathan was getting a few bad reviews lately with the equipment?

The problem with doing a back to back (IF you are talking about a short 3 and 4 day cruise back to back) is that they only go down to the Bahama area and I want to experience more Caribbean than Bahama. We just like it better there and always find the weather seems nicer further down as well. You can get that far down on a 3 or 4 day cruise. So, I probably wouldn't consider that.

If you are talking about a real back to back (meaning 2 weeks), then that can't be done. My daughter only gets 1 week out for Spring Break and there's no changing the dates of course. It's set in stone. :D

The ones that I have posted are the only ones I can consider because they are the only ones available to different ports for the week we have available.

I did not pick these ships. These are the ships available for the week we can sail. Carnival picked these ships for me. :p :D

They are the ONLY ships I can do and have to pick from. :D

Yup, I meant the short ones. I can't blame your wanting to go for the 7/8 day and your reasoning.

And trust me, I get the limited sailing time options. I work in higher education, so my times are limited! :)

My vote is still the Conquest. I agree with you - if the Valor was the same price, I'd go for it. But if I were you, I'd save that itinerary for a different ship. Personally, I prefer the 2.0 upgrades. ;)

On American Table -

I haven't seen the full new menus, but if you to Zydecocruiser's site, and look at the 3/4 day Imagination menus, those are the newer menus. Don't look at the 7 day....those still seem to be the older. I'm hoping someone will sail the Breeze soon and post the new menus!

Just gotta ask...why no consideration of ships out of Cali? The Miracle is a fabulous ship and will be going to ports you have not visited (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta).

You said you were sailing in April, right? The fares are consistent with Magic fares and by then, the Miracle should have all the 2.0 upgrades (Guy's and Blue Iguana) and the icing on the cake........potential for a visit to DISNEYLAND (the original!)

The only one going when we can is the Miracle and it's actually more expensive than all 4 of these choices. Then factor in the outrageous air flight as well. :( Well actually air is crazy expensive to any of them at this point. :p

I have read several of your posts. Great job BTW. All three ships are very similar. Glory has the american table menu and that offers fewer dinner choices.

Grand Turk is small

Very pretty. Close beach area. Decent snorkeling.

St Kitts is the closest thing in the Caribbean to Hawaii that I have seen

With a volcanic look

Very nice island.

We haven't been to Aruca or Bonaire yet. I hear they are very nice also.

We have been on.all these ships. I would pick Conquest.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I appreciate it. :)

Hi Mitsugirly!!!! Is the Liberty out of San Juan an option?

Great itinerary, and now that SW flies there, the airfare is much more reasonable than you would think......

Just throwing another option out there.....:D:D

Nope it's not an option (dates and $$ combined)

Yup, I meant the short ones. I can't blame your wanting to go for the 7/8 day and your reasoning.

And trust me, I get the limited sailing time options. I work in higher education, so my times are limited! :)

My vote is still the Conquest. I agree with you - if the Valor was the same price, I'd go for it. But if I were you, I'd save that itinerary for a different ship. Personally, I prefer the 2.0 upgrades. ;)

That's sounding better and better (saving that awesome itinerary for another ship).

mitsugirly... you've received lots-n-lots of good answers from everyone. So, the good news is that they are all great cruises. In any case, I'll throw my three cents worth in.

I love the 2.0 upgrades, but the Valor is still my favorite ship. You can eat just so many Ferengie Burgers and drink only so much in the Red Frog Pub. Then the rest of the "vibe" of the ship takes over. I know... the crew and entertainers change over time, but for all of my five cruises on the ship, the "vibe" has always carried over.

Then considering the itinerary, the Valor has the best of the four you've listed since you want to go some place new. (I still love the Westerns) Aruba is different than any of the other islands in the Caribbean. I think the Dutch heritage makes it a bit different along with the more arid region it too has a different "vibe".

If you are into snorkeling, SCUBA or great beaches, then Aruba is a must visit place. Just be sure no one takes out a big life insurance policy on you before you go. For an snorkel excursion, I wrote a review of one here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36234068&highlight=aruba#post36234068

OK... that's all for my 3 cents.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo... and wishing I was going on the Valor to Aruba

mitsugirly... you've received lots-n-lots of good answers from everyone. So, the good news is that they are all great cruises. In any case, I'll throw my three cents worth in.

I love the 2.0 upgrades, but the Valor is still my favorite ship. You can eat just so many Ferengie Burgers and drink only so much in the Red Frog Pub. Then the rest of the "vibe" of the ship takes over. I know... the crew and entertainers change over time, but for all of my five cruises on the ship, the "vibe" has always carried over.

Then considering the itinerary, the Valor has the best of the four you've listed since you want to go some place new. (I still love the Westerns) Aruba is different than any of the other islands in the Caribbean. I think the Dutch heritage makes it a bit different along with the more arid region it too has a different "vibe".

If you are into snorkeling, SCUBA or great beaches, then Aruba is a must visit place. Just be sure no one takes out a big life insurance policy on you before you go. For an snorkel excursion, I wrote a review of one here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36234068&highlight=aruba#post36234068

OK... that's all for my 3 cents.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo... and wishing I was going on the Valor to Aruba

Thanks for the info. I do believe that the Valor itinerary is the best of all of them and that's what's making this so hard...because it is the most expensive too.

I really really really want to go to Aruba, but don't know if it's the right time and the right price at this point...or even the right ship for us with a little one.

Thanks for the snorkeling review. We love snorkeling and snorkel everywhere we go if possible. The excursion you did doesn't seem to really "fit" what we like to normally do. I don't think we would have much fun snorkeling where the water is that deep and especially when it's too deep to see most fish from the surface. Since we have a 6 year old, we normally like to snorkel from the beach walking in or more shallow water where you can actually see the fish. The swinging off into the water sounds fun, but once again, not something I would trust her to do (even though I know she would definitely try it). :D

I'm sitting here trying to add up the price of all 4 cruises, cost of airflight and transportation to the port, amount we would probably spend on what we would do in the ports to get a better idea of what's best for us. :eek:

too bad none of your itinerary choices include Half moon key, carnivals private island. way better than any of the beaches for the places you listed. i've been to gran turk several times, and again this summer. i'm bored with that place. the beach isnt that great, and the pool area gets very crowded. i've sailed on the Glory and she is a fine ship with a great crew, her theme is colors!

Kim, I didn't read through all of the posts here, but the Pride is back in Baltimore the end of March. I don't know which itinerary she's doing the week you are available, but possibly it's the eastern Caribbean route and you could experience HMC. Even though the Pride is higher priced for that route, you wouldn't have airfare costs involved since its driving distance from Ohio (I think I remember that's where you live from your reviews) and it maybe a cheaper option. I say Half Moon Cay is worth it. Gorgeous place. And Grand Turk is on that itinerary, too. Sorry if this was mentioned or if your weeks aren't coinciding with Pride's eastern Caribbean route. The Pride just underwent a drydock and is now 2.0 upgraded. Whatever you choose, I look forward to your review. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

too bad none of your itinerary choices include Half moon key, carnivals private island. way better than any of the beaches for the places you listed. i've been to gran turk several times, and again this summer. i'm bored with that place. the beach isnt that great, and the pool area gets very crowded. i've sailed on the Glory and she is a fine ship with a great crew, her theme is colors!

When you talk about Grand Turk and say "the beach isn't that great" and "the pool area gets very crowded" that makes it sound as if you stay right there at the port? :confused: If that's the case, then yes, I can see this. I'm not the type of person to go to any port and just stay there at the "compound". That does not give you ANY idea of what the island is actually like. I get away from the port and see what else is out there. :)

You also mentioned that you have been there several times and you are bored with the place. That's where things would be different for us. We have never been there, so any new place is going to be exciting to us. That's the problem I'm having with doing the western caribbean with NCL...same old ports and bored with them. :D

Kim, I didn't read through all of the posts here, but the Pride is back in Baltimore the end of March. I don't know which itinerary she's doing the week you are available, but possibly it's the eastern Caribbean route and you could experience HMC. Even though the Pride is higher priced for that route, you wouldn't have airfare costs involved since its driving distance from Ohio (I think I remember that's where you live from your reviews) and it maybe a cheaper option. I say Half Moon Cay is worth it. Gorgeous place. And Grand Turk is on that itinerary, too. Sorry if this was mentioned or if your weeks aren't coinciding with Pride's eastern Caribbean route. The Pride just underwent a drydock and is now 2.0 upgraded. Whatever you choose, I look forward to your review. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, thanks for this information. I didn't even realize that they had a cruise port there. :eek: Baltimore is only a little over 6 hours from us. That would be WONDERFUL!!!!

I'm off to check on it. :D