CCL Superbowl Commercial

Frank12

I was disappointed, but glad they didn't air the cruise virgin one. I think that one would have gotten them into trouble since the media seem to pick on them about everything lately. But this one just seemed too safe and dull for a Superbowl commercial.

Remember that this commercial was for Carnival CORPORATION, so they had to make it appealing to a larger sliver of the population. They couldn't make it appealing just to the average Carnival cruiser, but for everybody whether on Seabourn, Cunard, Princess, Holland, Costa or Carnival. And what does every cruiser has in common? Love for the sea.

Personally, I though that the commercial was AWESOME. It was very appealing, intelligent, and well presented. I loved it from beginning to end. And I'm not even from the "JFK era". :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Using the voice of President Kennedy to promote Carnival Cruise line was totally out of line, in my opinion. To be more blunt: crass commercialization of an assassination American President just shows how low CCL can go: do you think that potential customers will associate your ships with President Kennedy and take that commercial as his endorsement for CCL cruises.

Judging by previous comments, you weren't too far off the mark.

To Donald Arnold: shame on you!

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Using the voice of President Kennedy to promote Carnival Cruise line was totally out of line, in my opinion. To be more blunt: crass commercialization of an assassination American President just shows how low CCL can go: do you think that potential customers will associate your ships with President Kennedy and take that commercial as his endorsement for CCL cruises.

Judging by previous comments, you weren't too far off the mark.

To Donald Arnold: shame on you!

Salacia

What? Who brought up the assassination?

It's a wonderful quote about the sea. It helps communicate the way people feel about the ocean in a classic way, not "it's totally awesome!"

This was an elegant spot for the entire corporation. It's nice to remind folks that it's a big family of cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What? Who brought up the assassination?

It's a wonderful quote about the sea. It helps communicate the way people feel about the ocean in a classic way, not "it's totally awesome!"

This was an elegant spot for the entire corporation. It's nice to remind folks that it's a big family of cruise lines.

Hi Jilly Sue. As you know, the voice you heard on that commercial was that of US President Kennedy. He was assassinated in 1963. Long before Carnival Cruise Line was in operation. Perhaps there are still some of us who remember simply by hearing his voice, that he was assassinated?

Yes, I agree, it is a wonderful quote about the sea. But we disagree that using that quote for commercial purposes is "elegant"; I think use of the voice of JFK in that commercial is tasteless and inappropriate.

Clearly, we have different opinions regarding that commercial. It appears your opinion is in the majority. And since the majority rules, we can expect to see more commercial with deceased icons appearing to promote Carnival Cruise Lines. I can hardly wait to see who will be the next long-deceased icon used to promote CCL...

Happy cruising,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Hi Jilly Sue. As you know, the voice you head was President Kennedy. He was assassinated in 1963. Long before Carnival Cruise Line was in operation. Perhaps there are still some of us who remember simply by hearing his voice, that he was assassinated?

Yes, I agree, it is a wonderful quote about the sea. But we disagree that using that quote for commercial purposes is "elegant"; I think use of the voice of JFK in that commercial it is tasteless and inappropriate.

Clearly, we have different opinions regarding that commercial. It appears your opinion is in the majority. And since the majority rules, we can expect to see more commercial with deceased icons appearing to promote Carnival Cruise Lines. I can hardly wait to see who will be the next long-deceased icon used to promote CCL...

Happy cruising,

Salacia

By hearing his voice, I'm taken to other speeches he made, about going to the moon, and about what we can do for our country. I'm sorry that the only thing you remember about this man is the way he died.

Using deceased celebrities to promote current products is hardly new, and CCL is definitely not the first company to do it. They are all trying to connect their product to our history and culture so that it resonates with us. There is no crime here.

You absolutely have the right to your opinion. Happy cruising!

Edited by JillySue

By hearing his voice, I'm taken to other speeches he made, about going to the moon, and about what we can do for our country. I'm sorry that the only thing you remember about this man is the way he died.

Using deceased celebrities to promote current products is hardly new, and CCL is definitely not the first company to do it. They are all trying to connect their product to our history and culture so that it resonates with us. There is no crime here.

You absolutely have the right to your opinion. Happy cruising!

JillySue, Thank you for your comment - "I'm sorry that the only thing you remember about this man is the way he died", but that is not all that I remember about "this man".

You raised an interesting point when you wrote "By hearing his voice, I'm taken to other speeches he made, about going to the moon, and about what we can do for our country"

So I guess CCL's marketing strategy was right on the money - by using the voice of JFK, the response was evocative, and apparently stirred some sort of patriotic cord. Quite clever marketing.

You wrote: " They are all trying to connect their product to our history and culture so that it resonates with us. There is no crime here." I'm sorry, but I don't understand who' they' are, 'their product', 'our history' and 'resonates with us' means. I'm struggling to work out the pronouns, but no doubt what you wrote is a great support to CCL. Regards -S.

Hi Jilly Sue. As you know, the voice you heard on that commercial was that of US President Kennedy. He was assassinated in 1963. Long before Carnival Cruise Line was in operation. Perhaps there are still some of us who remember simply by hearing his voice, that he was assassinated?

Yes, I agree, it is a wonderful quote about the sea. But we disagree that using that quote for commercial purposes is "elegant"; I think use of the voice of JFK in that commercial is tasteless and inappropriate.

Happy cruising,

Salacia

Was using the actual footage of the Brady Brunch and Robert Reed (also deceased) in the Snickers commercial also inappropriate? Think about Forrest Gump, an Oscar winning movie. How many dead Presidents were depicted in that film?

And once again, it was a commercial for Carnival Corporation - all the cruise lines they own not just CCL the Funship. CCL runs its own commercials, just like Princess does, etc.

Happy cruising,

Salacia

I suppose you are mad at the commercial uses of George Washington, Ben Franklin and Abraham Lincoln? Lighten up! :)

With all due respect to JFK, that commercial was pretty lame and boring compared to the others that they made. Message in a bottle would have brought a lot of smiles and the cruise virgin one would have created a buzz and had people talking about it as one of the best ads.

If the JFK commercial was meant to encourage viewers to cruise on one of Carnival Corps cruise lines it fell short of doing that. I really do not know what the message was, other than being sentimental for those of us who remember JFK. Nice commercial though. I believe Message in the bottle should have been the one that would entice people to cruise, especially first timers.