CCL Superbowl Commercial

Frank12

I really liked the commercial but you're right: it was probably lost on a great majority of the SB crowd that saw it yesterday. Hopefully they will continue it in more appropriate evening time slots and I think it will get a better reception.

Heck, most of the SB commercials left me going "Huh, what was that about?" Companies spend millions and after the commercial it's hard to even know what they were selling.

I think something happened and they pulled Cruise Virgin. It was even on the teaser super bowl commercial show on CBS last week. Something tells me NBC either nixed it or Carnival wimped out.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think something happened and they pulled Cruise Virgin. It was even on the teaser super bowl commercial show on CBS last week. Something tells me NBC either nixed it or Carnival wimped out.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wasn't a fan of that one since it was more of a carnival cruise line commercial instead of carnival corp.

Various sites give different ratings to the Super Bowl commercials. For instance, USA Today said the Fiat commercial was the third place finisher for the night. Rolling Stone called it one of the worst.

From the USA Today's numbers, it seems like Carnival Corp. scored best with those over 65 and those under 21.

I think it was a classy ad. The problem was that it's not one to get a lot of people talking about the next day.

The calmness of this commercial reminded me of the "Come back new" commercials on Princess, which IMHO are right on for their product (After our first Princess cruise last year, we definitely "came back new" and I could completely relate to what their commercials try to deliver).

I still think that this commercial was wonderful. Intelligent, inspiring and sophisticated. However, I don't think it was the right choice for the Super Bowl, simply because most people watching the Super Bowl are in noisy, crowded locales, and they are more engaged by the visuals than by soothing views and an inspiring speech read by a past President.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well said! I agree. I found President Kennedy's words on the sea quite moving and an excellent expression of the awe I feel while at sea. It was a quiet and intelligent take on the pull of the seas on the human mind.

That was odd. :confused: I was cruising on Super Bowl Sunday. We were shown what was described as four potential commercials before the game. Based on their boos, I'm pretty sure most people in the audience thought the "mystery spot" was an actual, lame potential ad teasing some sort of mystery news that would be announced later. Since we were told there were three good ads, that made sense, at least to people more focused on football and food.

The loudest cheers were for Cruise Virgin. I thought it was tacky and promoting the worst, vulgar side of Carnival, but I could see its appeal to men watching the Super Bowl and it was attention-getting. I personally loved Message in a Bottle. I can't remember if it was the cruise director, but whoever was running the show said he agreed with the audience about Cruise Virgin but implied that Message in a Bottle had been most popular in the votes.

What was the point of having a vote if they were picking the mystery spot?

As for the commercial they picked, I like classy and can ignore that our origins are a bit more complicated than that, but it doesn't seem like a Super Bowl ad.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/the-story-behind-carnivals-mystery-spot-super-bowl-ad.html

Article answering many questions in this thread. And again I wish people would realize this ad wasn't just for carnival cruise lines! It was for all the brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a shame that Carnival cruise lines and Carnival Corp aren't differentiated more.

Listening to the radio on the way to work yesterday they were talking about the superbowl commercials and said they didn't like the one about Carnival cruises.

I'll bet there are a lot more people who see it the same way except for people that cruise a lot.

Bill

It's a shame that Carnival cruise lines and Carnival Corp aren't differentiated more.

Listening to the radio on the way to work yesterday they were talking about the superbowl commercials and said they didn't like the one about Carnival cruises.

I'll bet there are a lot more people who see it the same way except for people that cruise a lot.

Bill

Well thank God then that they aren't more differentiated! In most people's minds it was just a lousy Carnival Cruise Line commercial and it won't tarnish the other brands.:D

In the end the only people upset about the lack of differentiation with that commercial are the Marketing folks at Holland, Princess. et al., who had to fork over precious Marketing dollars to help pay for that thing.

Wait. So Carnival convinced passengers to sit and watch Carnival commercials while they (the passengers) were paying Carnival to be on board Carnival ships?

Am I getting that right?

That's pretty darned smart. (Like running those videos of carnival ship footage at past guest parties and getting the crowd to cheer for the ships they've been on. It's a commercial.)

I liked the super bowl commercial they ran. It was the complete opposite of the Freddy fun ship, drunken cruise, towel animal, whoop-whoop thing. It was representative of the best moments of my cruise vacations.

Wait. So Carnival convinced passengers to sit and watch Carnival commercials while they (the passengers) were paying Carnival to be on board Carnival ships?

Am I getting that right?

That's pretty darned smart. (Like running those videos of carnival ship footage at past guest parties and getting the crowd to cheer for the ships they've been on. It's a commercial.)

Apparently they convinced cruisers they were voting on the best ad, only to choose the one no one saw. :rolleyes: On my cruise, it was too late to vote but they had a captive audience because everyone was waiting around for the Super Bowl (or, in my case, for the tailgating food).

Although I picked message in a bottle, I did like this commercial. It definitely had an emotional connection. However, I don't think it was a good Super Bowl commercial. When I watch the super bowl I want a funny commercial. I thought the cruise virgin one was extremely tacky though.

It was a classy choice.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/the-story-behind-carnivals-mystery-spot-super-bowl-ad.html

Article answering many questions in this thread. And again I wish people would realize this ad wasn't just for carnival cruise lines! It was for all the brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just read the article. After watching all 4 videos after our Jan. cruise and reading on cruise critic, I really doubt Mystery at Sea had the most votes like they said. Now if it had shown the whole video, yes, it could have won but not by what we had to vote on. Guess I didn't win since I voted for all 3 of the others but mostly for message in a bottle. Wish I had voted for Mystery at Sea. I would have had a better chance to win.

Should have, should have, should have run the virgin commercial. Sure, it would have ruffled some feathers. But then, it would have been even more memorable.

It was a good commercial but I'm positive "virgin" angle would have been better for the bottom line.

Already forgot what was in the SB commercial. /sigh :o

Those 45 and over got it and most probably liked it, regardless of political leanings. Those under 45...and let's face it, the majority would not know who President Kennedy was, much less understand his sense of adventure on and off the planet, might give it a thumbs down.

The spot aimed higher than the young booze n cruise, inked up crowd which is a definite plus. On the other hand, that demo is the future, so take that with a grain of salt..in your blood or on the water...or on my margarita.

Try again, my friend. At age 30, my favorite part about this commercial was the inclusion of the JFK speech.

EXACTLY!! Sorry, but I do not believe in Evolution and did not like that commercial at all!

Way to completely miss the point...

BTW, not to derail the topic, but, "believe" it or not, evolution is a scientific fact.

Try again, my friend. At age 30, my favorite part about this commercial was the inclusion of the JFK speech.

Well then I salute you, and you're definitely in the minority. Too bad the "come from the sea" comment overwhelmed so many. Then again, how many of them would have preferred the "virgin" spot...which of course leads one to think about s-e-x, lol

Thank Goodness for DVR's. I would have never known it was a cruise commercial till the end. I backed it up, scratched my head, and watched the rest of the game and commercials.

Have to say it sits on the bottom of my list of memorable commercials. It was missing something crucial to my fantasy viewing; Caribbean blue waters.