What are your expectations when you attend a Meet and Mingle?

I have attended two Meet and Mingles -- one on our sailing on Jewel in July 2013 and the other on our sailing on Allure in June/July 2014.

Both were very different.

What I expect from a Meet and Mingle event is that the host (from the entertainment staff) makes it an opportunity for those there to be able to put the screen names together with the faces who are in the room.

It was well done on Jewel, but not well done on Allure.

We are going on Indy for the 2/14/15 sailing and hopefully it will be a 'good' Meet and Mingle, from my POV.

What is yours?

The best are the ones where people walk around and talk to others (sort of like what is normally done at a cocktail party) and not just come in and sit down off to themselves. A mix & mingle is just that ...

so mix, mingle, and enjoy meeting others. ;)

LuLu

The best are the ones where people walk around and talk to others (sort of like what is normally done at a cocktail party) and not just come in and sit down off to themselves. A mix & mingle is just that ...

LuLu

Not everyone is good at mingling -- have you notice there are wallflowers at some of the best cocktail parties, because they aren't comfortable 'mixing and mingling' -- so I expect the host, to help.

Little 'ice breaker type' games, and less talk about 'ship or the company' and more about the cruisers who will make the cruise they are on -- a great time for all.

The best M&M we ever had was years ago on the Legend of the Seas. The CD and the Captain both came, the Captain only for maybe 20 minutes, but the CD stayed the whole time. They both told us some "secrets" of the ship and some good ship "gossip". They made us feel like we were important people. Their friendliness seemed to rub off on everyone and soon we were all chatting and having a great time....no one wanted to leave. There were also lots of nice gifts raffled off. I mentioned I was sad I didn't win one of the famous RCCL computer mouses, and later that day I found one in my cabin with a note from the CD thanking me for cruising on Royal.

Since then we have attended a dozen or so M&Ms and some are good, some are bad. It seems to hinge on the crew member who runs it.

The best M&M we ever had was years ago on the Legend of the Seas. The CD and the Captain both came, the Captain only for maybe 20 minutes, but the CD stayed the whole time. They both told us some "secrets" of the ship and some good ship "gossip". They made us feel like we were important people. Their friendliness seemed to rub off on everyone and soon we were all chatting and having a great time....no one wanted to leave. There were also lots of nice gifts raffled off. I mentioned I was sad I didn't win one of the famous RCCL computer mouses, and later that day I found one in my cabin with a note from the CD thanking me for cruising on Royal.

Since then we have attended a dozen or so M&Ms and some are good, some are bad. It seems to hinge on the crew member who runs it.

That is a good twist some 'ship secrets' and a little 'ship gossip' -- all in good fun -- and you are right it made everyone feel part of a friendly gathering.

You have participated in many more M&M's than I have, but the crew member has a great deal to do with the result of it.

The gift raffles are a nice touch and it enables the crew member acting as host to create some interaction....required to 'have a meet n mingle' mingle.

the only one i've been to was on the allure two years ago.

It was very good.

The person from the CD staff ran it well.

There was a bit of inside info etc etc.

And a bunch of quiz games where each winner had to introduce themselves, including screen name.

It was really well done, considering how big a crowd it was (it is the allure after all).

It was an interesting study in group dynamics. At the beginning, everyone came in and found a seat. Not much mingling. People were very shy with each other.

But once the games started, we all got into it - laughing and enjoying putting faces and real names with screen names.

So definitely, the CD staff person had a lot to do with the success of the event. He ran it really well!!

We have had mixed experiences. It depends on the ship and the demographic. We left one early because there was a very large group who were very noisy and annoying. They completely took over. At another nobody spoke and the host didn't host well. Others were good for meeting people.

I would just go, not expect too much, and perhaps be pleasantly surprised :)

Best one I ever attended was on the Jewel and we all became Jewels of the Seas and wore tiaras, organised by a great girl [you know who you are ....Twinacle]

Still in touch to this day, she had us all chatting and laughing, never been to such a great one since.

Been to lots and enjoyed some but not others

the only one i've been to was on the allure two years ago.

It was very good.

The person from the CD staff ran it well.

There was a bit of inside info etc etc.

And a bunch of quiz games where each winner had to introduce themselves, including screen name.

It was really well done, considering how big a crowd it was (it is the allure after all).

It was an interesting study in group dynamics. At the beginning, everyone came in and found a seat. Not much mingling. People were very shy with each other.

But once the games started, we all got into it - laughing and enjoying putting faces and real names with screen names.

So definitely, the CD staff person had a lot to do with the success of the event. He ran it really well!!

Like anything, business networking or evening cocktail parties -- it can be uncomfortable for some and a ball for others. Key is the staff member getting it started well.

Having cruisers introduce themselves and get into the flow of games is great. The insider info, makes people feel 'in the know' while others not in attendance are missing out on something.....and FUN.

If a cruiser had a 'big' personality in the roll call, you might find them fun at the M&M or realize that their personality in life, isn't quite as 'big'.

I found it fun, at the good one, to meet the others....at the poorly run one, I just wanted to meet the people I had interacted with a lot in the roll call thread.

I have attended two Meet and Mingles -- one on our sailing on Jewel in July 2013 and the other on our sailing on Allure in June/July 2014.

Both were very different.

What I expect from a Meet and Mingle event is that the host (from the entertainment staff) makes it an opportunity for those there to be able to put the screen names together with the faces who are in the room.

It was well done on Jewel, but not well done on Allure.

We are going on Indy for the 2/14/15 sailing and hopefully it will be a 'good' Meet and Mingle, from my POV.

What is yours?

I've done two M&M's on Allure and one on Jewel. For the most part, I set my expectations based on the roll call itself and getting to know the people who helped you pass the 4-500 days up to your cruise. I started a Freedom roll call in 2006 for a 2008 sailing and we had a wonderful time just socializing outside of what the cruise line did. I joined my 2011 roll call for Allure only 8 months out and that group wasn't very active, at the Meet and Mingle, people just showed up for the raffle prizes and left, no meeting or mingling. One lady did make a point of coming over to me to say, "I can't believe how much time you spend on Cruise Critic" Perhaps true, but 10,000 posts later and a few years, I still found that somewhat rude.

I started the roll call for my 2013 Allure roll call 600 days out and it turned out to be a huge success as big group of people joined. They were a great mix of people with varying degrees of cruise experience. We had a great time long before arriving at the port. Enough people were active in the roll call to each plan some activities I did a trivia game that lasted about 18 months and prizes were awarded at the M&M. Another person organized the Cabin crawl. I had never done one before and Allure is the ship to do that one. It was great. Another person organized a Hometown gift exchange. I had never done that before, and it was a lot of fun. I still have a piece of Arizona art work hanging in my office that reminds me of this great cruise. We basically took over from Royal after they did their stick, and the party lasted a couple of hours on a Sea day. Oh, we also organized a Watch Oasis leave from the beach the day before our cruise and had a very nice pre-cruise dinner that turned out to be a huge event for us for nearly tragic reasons"

On Jewel, Elvis the activities Director did what you said in your message. He got everyone talking and we had a nice time. I guess they are what you ,or the group, make of it with minimal Royal involvement.

Edited by BillOh

Not everyone is good at mingling -- have you notice there are wallflowers at some of the best cocktail parties, because they aren't comfortable 'mixing and mingling' -- so I expect the host, to help.

Little 'ice breaker type' games, and less talk about 'ship or the company' and more about the cruisers who will make the cruise they are on -- a great time for all.

Most of the time Royal's participation is just the news you mentioned. As I mentioned in a previous message, Only Elvis on Jewel did as you suggest. It was such a huge success in my 2013 roll call that in all roll calls I post a simple picture of my wife and I and encourage others to do the same so there is some recognition at the event. Heck in my best roll calls, we have greeted each other during check in at the ship and by the M&M rolls around mingling is second nature.

The best M&M we ever had was years ago on the Legend of the Seas. The CD and the Captain both came, the Captain only for maybe 20 minutes, but the CD stayed the whole time. They both told us some "secrets" of the ship and some good ship "gossip". .

Was that a long cruise such as a re-positioning? Where there a lot of Diamond and above cruisers? I've never seen a Captain or CD show up, but have heard many reports of that.

LuLu

Do not rely on the Cruise Line to do all the work the CC Meet and mingle is organized by the CC and the whole point is to Mingle; and I find this one to be far superior to the RCCL Welcome Back.

I've done two M&M's on Allure and one on Jewel. For the most part, I set my expectations based on the roll call itself and getting to know the people who helped you pass the 4-500 days up to your cruise. I started a Freedom roll call in 2006 for a 2008 sailing and we had a wonderful time just socializing outside of what the cruise line did. I joined my 2011 roll call for Allure only 8 months out and that group wasn't very active, at the Meet and Mingle, people just showed up for the raffle prizes and left, no meeting or mingling. One lady did make a point of coming over to me to say, "I can't believe how much time you spend on Cruise Critic" Perhaps true, but 10,000 posts later and a few years, I still found that somewhat rude.

I started the roll call for my 2013 Allure roll call 600 days out and it turned out to be a huge success as big group of people joined. They were a great mix of people with varying degrees of cruise experience. We had a great time long before arriving at the port. Enough people were active in the roll call to each plan some activities I did a trivia game that lasted about 18 months and prizes were awarded at the M&M. Another person organized the Cabin crawl. I had never done one before and Allure is the ship to do that one. It was great. Another person organized a Hometown gift exchange. I had never done that before, and it was a lot of fun. I still have a piece of Arizona art work hanging in my office that reminds me of this great cruise. We basically took over from Royal after they did their stick, and the party lasted a couple of hours on a Sea day. Oh, we also organized a Watch Oasis leave from the beach the day before our cruise and had a very nice pre-cruise dinner that turned out to be a huge event for us for nearly tragic reasons"

On Jewel, Elvis the activities Director did what you said in your message. He got everyone talking and we had a nice time. I guess they are what you ,or the group, make of it with minimal Royal involvement.

never had that happen to me so far. the Roll Call M&M's, have introduced us to some amazing folks and got to know them quite well on line and then in Person on the ship.

I've only done two, one on Mariner and the other with NCL. I have to say the one on NCL was better for a couple of reasons.

1) NCL seems to take their CC guests a bit more seriously than other lines (and they actually said so at the meet). On RCCL we had an assistant CD and "The Shopping Lady".

On NCL we had the First Officer, the CD, The Hotel Director, Then Food and Beverage Director, The Guest Services Director, and the Head Chef. They all spoke for a minute or two and gave out business cards with their direct numbers in case we had any issues and answered any questions we had.

2) The second factor seems to be having someone in the group willing to step up and help organize things. For our meet on Mariner we did a small raffle (run by the shopping lady) and then we were left to our own devices. A few people left right away, a few of us that had been active on the roll call introduced ourselves and talked for a bit, but that was about it.

On NCL we had a person in our roll call who stepped up ran the meet. We passed a microphone and introduced ourselves, and even people who weren't active in the roll call did so. That was a huge ice breaker. People who didn't know each other an hour earlier were making plans together for other activities during the cruise.

Granted, I only have the one cruise on each line, so YMMV.

We will be attending our first one on our upcoming cruise on 28 Feb. Looking to meet others excited about being on the cruise and find out their interests. It gives us an opportunity to say "hello" when we see others on the ship throughout the cruise. Perhaps we will be on the same excursion but if not no deal breaker. DW and I are so looking forward to getting away from the cold and snow. :cool:

I already know DH isn't keen on attending the M&M in a few weeks. We'll see if I'm brave enough to go alone. :o

My wife was the same way, but now she is a believer. Just tell him he may win a substantial prize! (That is debatable, but I've won a bottle of champagne among other trivial items. ) Wife enjoyed the Freedom and Allure 2 one so much now, she has me tell her a little bit about the people who will be there and show her what pictures there are. On both of those cruises I spent more than a year talking with dozens of people. Among those people the ladies whom I had chatted with so long went out of their way to include my wife in things.

My M&M on Allure was at 9.30am so I did a no show as was still in bed - what a ridiculous time!!!!

Interesting, not doubting you a bit, but both of mine were 10:30 on a Sea day. The crew must have had something else to do that day at 10:30.

L

If a cruiser had a 'big' personality in the roll call, you might find them fun at the M&M or realize that their personality in life, isn't quite as 'big'.

I'm enjoying this thread a lot, I'm glad you started it. I might fall into this category to some extent, but the roll calls have really changed that.