What are your expectations when you attend a Meet and Mingle?

I've attended a few (maybe 5) meet and mingles. I've found them to be a chore, and I don't like them. I much prefer the informal "Let's all meet at XXX Bar on embarkation day." Otherwise, I have to sit and listen to some ship person who was never part of the roll call discussions. Just don't think I'll go to anymore meet and mingles.

I much prefer the informal "Let's all meet at XXX Bar on embarkation day."

Agreed. :) I have been to only one official Meet and Mingle. It was "ok".

The informal meeting at the bar on embarkation day is something I have participated in on each cruise so far and is great!

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. :) I have been to only one official Meet and Mingle. It was "ok".

The informal meeting at the bar on embarkation day is something I have participated in on each cruise so far and is great!

I have attended a few Meet N Mingles and an impromptu meeting at the Pool Bar.....both can be fun. Just returned from Indy and the Amy Tripp (the Activity Mgr) from the entertainment staff ran it....she did a good job....why: because she did only a little talking -- held some raffles (nice items from Royal) and then let the Roll Call itself take over and do introductions and have cross conversations.

The impromptu meeting at the Pool Bar was nice also....but only 14 or so people attended, while the Meet N Mingle had easily over 50. Both can work well, or either can be a complete failure....it all depends on the attendees and the staff member in charge.

I love M&Ms.....such a great way to meet the people you have "chatted" with on line.....we are doing ab2b in April so will have 2....both have already met the #..... Have not sailed RCCL since 1998 so will have to compare to NCL and Princess.....will say that daughter and husband took Celebrity for Anniverdary in Nov 2013....I convinced her to register and go to the M&M and she was very glad....met some great people and pooled excursions....love it when Mom is right about something! Looking forward to our next one.... I am also the one who will talk if you are within 3 feet (forget who also said that earlier!)

Marianne

We have attended several Meet & Mingle gatherings, and it's my opinion that the smaller they are, the better they are. It lends itself to actually meeting and mingling with other people. We attended one that was so large (nearly 500 people,) that it was actually impossible to speak with anyone other than who we were sitting with.

Like anything else, any gathering is what the people will make of it. If they go and actually make an attempt to socialize, then they will have a great time. If you go and sit there waiting for the world to come to you, then it might not be so much fun;):)

Totally agree the smaller the better! Seems like most depend primarily on the ship's staff. Nothing much happens before the staff arrives. Once the staff arrives the event tends to hinge around the prize drawing and once that is over it falls apart.

I much prefer a pre meet & mingle on boarding as the actual theme of such event is to meet & mingle. That said, I do not like the pool bar as the weather could easily dampen the event. Also there is a lack of seating and it is often crowded. I think the Schooner Bar is a much better venue.

...I much prefer a pre meet & mingle on boarding as the actual theme of such event is to meet & mingle. That said, I do not like the pool bar as the weather could easily dampen the event. Also there is a lack of seating and it is often crowded. I think the Schooner Bar is a much better venue.

I agree completely. We've done many a pre-muster M&M in Schooner over the years and I think it's a much better for "mingling".

What's the average age of the Meet & Mingles? My wife and I are 31 and need to know if we should put our mature pants on before meeting everyone. :)

They are all different, the months up to the cruise can usually give you an indication of the people you've gotten to know online.

What's the average age of the Meet & Mingles? My wife and I are 31 and need to know if we should put our mature pants on before meeting everyone. :)

Varies cruise to cruise. You should be able to get an idea from your roll call.

In your roll call you can usually get an idea of age by the folks that say they are cruising during their anniversary which they usually will say how many years and also the age of their kids they are bringing along, etc. :cool:

Not sure what to expect from the roll call. Appears to have started strong but has petered out in the last couple weeks. We do have about 90 folks signed up, so we're looking forward to meeting a lot of different people.

Age is just a number, anyways. I've met a few 60 year old folks on the golf course that I've had more fun with than any friend my age.

Best M&M we did, was imho, because we arranged a meet up before on first day at on board.

We all met up before sail and did the usual hellos.

When we went to the M&M we all knew each other and had a great time.

We also met up again during the cruise. Some didn't turn up but most did.

A great time had by all.

I think meeting up before, is the way to go.

No embarrassing silence then.

Kezz

Physical age or mental age? :D I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up. I am 53 and and still having fun

1014104_10151680344766162_1391945928_n.jpg?oh=d2cca93e8cce7627f9ae2ae0aa4a4bb5&oe=554952CA&__gda__=1434959300_cb3e9be2c0ecb7b1cd34cd146fa6713c

Nice! Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Sometimes I feel like I'm 17 (usually when I'm Jeeping or riding dirt bikes), but when I'm putting myself out in the local world, I tend to feel closer to 75. I feel like I need to put on a certain demeanor around town since I plan to run for office by 2020.

Nice! Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Sometimes I feel like I'm 17 (usually when I'm Jeeping or riding dirt bikes), but when I'm putting myself out in the local world, I tend to feel closer to 75. I feel like I need to put on a certain demeanor around town since I plan to run for office by 2020.

HA, that reminds me of a quote I saw once, something about "I should run for office because I don't remember anything I did in my twenties" :D

No one can say for certain what the mix will be like. On our recent Indy cruise, there were people at the M&M who were travelling with their adult (early 20's sons) children and others who had teenagers or pre-teen children as well as newlyweds. Yes, there were those who were also empty nesters.

Just like anything else, it will attract a broad base of people.

I am looking forward to the m and m for Independence on April 25! What can we do to make it more fun?

As with all Roll Calls, there is usually one individual who is very 'active' during the roll call. I just came off of the Independence....and at the very start of our M&M this very active person asked the AM (who was representing Royal at the M&M) if after she did what she was going to do, with the Raffles provided by Royal, if we could pass around the microphone and have everyone introduce themselves with their screen name and their real name....she said it was a wonderful idea....and then we all did that.....many of us had introduced ourselves anyway to each other....but it just added to the fun.

All in all it took less than 45 minutes....but great fun indeed!