What are your expectations when you attend a Meet and Mingle?

If people have eyes and use the Cruise Critic message boards, they'd know where I was from. Colorado is quite the progressive state. I know of some people in my family that scoff at Colorado and our laws.

Anyways, like I said before, we get along with everyone so it usually isn't an issue.

If people have eyes and use the Cruise Critic message boards, they'd know where I was from. Colorado is quite the progressive state. I know of some people in my family that scoff at Colorado and our laws.

Anyways, like I said before, we get along with everyone so it usually isn't an issue.

Well, we would probably ask you how the pot thing is working out...just as a conversation starter. :D:):D

It might as well be legal here, either that or there are an awful lot of 18-20 year old men that suffer from migraines. ;):rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
I wanted to bump this thread to see if any views had changed over the last few months. What are M&M's like now for you?

What would have changed? They are what they are. Every one is a little different. There is usually one person who makes themself the "star" of the show, the type who loves being the center of attention. Most people attend, watch and meet a few people. We've seen all ages. The fact is, the average age of the M&M is usually the average age of those that are on the cruise itself. Age doesn't mean a darn thing which the pp who is from CO and 31 (not sure why he thinks that's an issue) will learn in a few years that will be here faster than he can imagine.:rolleyes:

We've had large M&M's and small ones, loud, boisterous ones and quiet ones. Sometimes we don't even go because of the vibe I get from the roll call. I much prefer to just meet people on my own. I hate when pass the mic and they ask your screen name. To me that should be completely voluntary.

Edited by BND

How does a person ge a M&M started? Do you sign up with CC & RCCL?

If your cruise is at least 7 days, you sign up here:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

If you cruise is less than 7 days, you can organize an informal M&M with your fellow roll call participants.

Edited by clarea

I have attended two Meet and Mingles -- one on our sailing on Jewel in July 2013 and the other on our sailing on Allure in June/July 2014.

Both were very different.

What I expect from a Meet and Mingle event is that the host (from the entertainment staff) makes it an opportunity for those there to be able to put the screen names together with the faces who are in the room.

It was well done on Jewel, but not well done on Allure.

We are going on Indy for the 2/14/15 sailing and hopefully it will be a 'good' Meet and Mingle, from my POV.

What is yours?

Yes Paulette we were on the Allure with you and your husband. I know what you mean but will point out that our M&M board on here had great participation and met many before the cruise. I know you and Ken picked up Denise and her husband and walked to the bridge to watch sail-a-way on Sat. You and I even had a discussion about something(do not remember what exactly although it may have been about SOS class ships) We met several at the hotel we were staying before the cruise and even gave some a ride around town.

I agree the M&M on the ship was not done well but I would encourage anyone to get involved in your sailing thread here on CC before you go. If possible meet in the departure city before hand to get know each other.

Every Roll Call & M&M are different depending on how active they are. One doesn't need to be very active with organized activities to be a fun Roll Call. Meeting everyone whether in your Roll Call group or not is the enjoyment we get from a cruise, along with visiting new Ports. A get together prior to your cruise at the port city is a good way to get acquainted and enjoy a dinner together.

I have found most M&M's are usually cliques, made up of people who already know each other, from other cruises or a group traveling together.

The people we formed lasting relationships with, were usually our tablemates and not someone we met at a M&M or on a roll call.

Other people may have a different experience.

Best gatherings we've had were pre-cruise dinner the night before. I find that no matter how active the M&Ms are, a ton of people show up who never once posted on the cruise roll call. Can't be for the key chain or note pad. :rolleyes: After the activity staff does their thing, raffles, etc., people just get up and leave. Would take way too long for all to say a few words into a mic. I always had expectations of meeting folks I "got to know" on my roll calls but except for one or two times, it really never happened, even with name tags.

Gift exchanges, slot pulls, cabin crawls bring out people you actually speak to on your roll call because prior sign up is necessary.

To answer the OP's question, my expectation is to at least meet the folks I've been chatting with on my cruise roll call for over a year.

Edited by BonTexasNY

Best gatherings we've had were pre-cruise dinner the night before. I find that no matter how active the M&Ms are, a ton of people show up who never once posted on the cruise roll call. Can't be for the key chain or note pad. :rolleyes: After the activity staff does their thing, raffles, etc., people just get up and leave. Would take way too long for all to say a few words into a mic. I always had expectations of meeting folks I "got to know" on my roll calls but except for one or two times, it really never happened, even with name tags.

Gift exchanges, slot pulls, cabin crawls bring out people you actually speak to on your roll call because prior sign up is necessary.

To answer the OP's question, my expectation is to at least meet the folks I've been chatting with on my cruise roll call for over a year.

That sums it up perfectly:)

We rarely attend the M and M's anymore. We prefer the meet at a bar after embarkation that gets organized on the roll call rather that go the ship sponsored event

Edited by molly361

I have seen good ones, few, and lots of one where no one mingled. Most will stay within their own group they are traveling with like all of the other people are criminals LOL. Americans seem to be the most closed to talking to strangers. While on a recent cruise, which was mostly UK and Eurozone cruisers with a few Americans mixed, mostly in groups, only the UK people would talk to us. It has always amazed me that after many days the same groups have something new to talk about.

One good thing the free gift is now a plastic case kinda thing with sticky, I believe note paper and pin and small. Much better than that thing I could never exactly figure out how it really worked LOL

meetandmingle_zpsc0b54a25.jpg

I always have a good time at the Meet & Mingle get together.

People need to be willing to Talk and sometimes not be so reserved

I am normally very active on our roll calls trying to make it a fun learning experience for everyone. Especially trying to help new cruisers who sometimes have questions.

I like to see who has been on the roll calls. We now have friends all over the country that we still stay in touch with.

Have a great time That's all that counts

Smileface_zpse894e671.jpg

meetandmingle_zpsc0b54a25.jpg

I always have a good time at the Meet & Mingle get together.

People need to be willing to Talk and sometimes not be so reserved

I am normally very active on our roll calls trying to make it a fun learning experience for everyone. Especially trying to help new cruisers who sometimes have questions.

I like to see who has been on the roll calls. We now have friends all over the country that we still stay in touch with.

Have a great time That's all that counts

Smileface_zpse894e671.jpg

Meet some of the people who we connected with through the Roll Call and have some fun. Light conversation with people we have shared some interests with via Cruise Critic. Sometimes during a Roll Call we have even realized how much we would like to enjoy dinner with some of our fellow cruisers and now we may have an opportunity to organize that, if we could not do it prior.

ALL of it is just FUN and isn't that what a vacation is about, along with rest from the day to day things.

Well it has been a great thread to read and I am looking forward to my first cruise in 60+ days.....BUT what on earth is a cabin crawl ?? Do you all go around perving and looking in each others cabins...is it like a pub crawl and you have to provide drinks from within your cabin ?? sounds Odd !!

What is a slot pull ??:confused:

Well it has been a great thread to read and I am looking forward to my first cruise in 60+ days.....BUT what on earth is a cabin crawl ?? Do you all go around perving and looking in each others cabins...is it like a pub crawl and you have to provide drinks from within your cabin ?? sounds Odd !!

What is a slot pull ??:confused:

A cabin crawl is when some folks from the roll call volunteer to show their staterooms. There is usually at least one stateroom of each type, if possible. There are not usually refreshments as the stay in each stateroom is usually less than 5 minutes.

Yes Paulette we were on the Allure with you and your husband. I know what you mean but will point out that our M&M board on here had great participation and met many before the cruise. I know you and Ken picked up Denise and her husband and walked to the bridge to watch sail-a-way on Sat. You and I even had a discussion about something(do not remember what exactly although it may have been about SOS class ships) We met several at the hotel we were staying before the cruise and even gave some a ride around town.

I agree the M&M on the ship was not done well but I would encourage anyone to get involved in your sailing thread here on CC before you go. If possible meet in the departure city before hand to get know each other.

For everyone here: as Cruisinghawk brings up the Meet & Mingle that we had on our Allure cruise, when we sailed together, was not the greatest....then when we went on Indy in Feb 2015, it was so much better....why -- partially because the staff member handled it differently and MOSTLY because of the cuisers.

So if you go to a M&M that isn't great, don't stop going in the future.

We've done many M&M's throughout our cruising with Royal. Almost all are a bit different. In the early years of M&M, the space was available for almost as long as the group wanted. Now it has been paired down to about 30 minutes with the cruise staff rushing everything along. Their primary interest seems to be in getting the raffle done so they can leave.

What seems to be difficult is to get people to actually mingle. If the staff could actually do some type of ice breaker to get people out of their seats, that would help.

We have enjoyed the M&M's over the years. Almost always see M&M cruisers throughout the week and it's like seeing a friend. We will continue to attend and try to mingle as much as possible. :)

I find the best M&M are those which stem from a great roll call thread where people get to know each other.

Some are just countdown or Q&A threads. Others have been ones where people ask questions and get to know each other on a personal level. Those M&M are always great.

I had one roll-call which was over-taken by a very large group who knew each other IRL and were actively posting amongst themselves. I think most others just receded. I didn't even bother attending that M&M.

I had one roll call where we did a gift exchange. That was a nice M&M.

My best M&M have been the ones for DCL cruises (roll calls were not done through Cruise Critic). Most DCL cruisers have meet&mingles through another website. The fish extender gift exchanges were awesome. It is amazing how generous some strangers can be .... but you've got cruisers with MAJOR Disney spirit taking part in those gift exchanges and M&M.

If the roll calls have been active ... mostly I just want to match up face&name with the people I've been chatting with in the months leading up to the cruise.

I can't say I've been to a meet&mingle where the meet was actively managed by a HOST. Usually someone on the roll call takes an active lead ... but mostly the ones I've been to have all been cocktail party style.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

I've been to all the Meet and Mingles for my cruises. Some were better than others; people actually mingled, ships staff that attended were engaging holding raffles, etc. My husband didn't really ever care to join me, but I would drag our youngest daughter who was in her early teens at the time, even though she thought the whole thing was a little creepy.

One summer we sailed as a family on what was the "new" Carnival Dream. It was a western itinerary sailing from PC with some different ports than RC has. Anyway, there was a pretty active roll call for this cruise, and a group that was staying at the Radisson had planned a get together poolside the night before the cruise. We were staying at the Residence Inn, and once again I dragged my daughter, who turned 16 on this cruise, with me and we walked over to the Radisson.

Only one family was there, friendly and all, and when we started talking about things we enjoyed on cruises, they mentioned trivia. Great! We also enjoy trivia as a family! They had sailed mostly with Carnival, and mentioned how they had always won the coveted "Ship on a Stick" and had them all proudly displayed on their mantle at home. They were excited to be sailing on a new Carnival ship, and were there to get a new trophy to add to their collection.

Sure enough, they were there on the first morning for trivia. I introduced my husband and other daughter, we had a nice conversation and then trivia started. Well, we beat them...and then the next day, we won again. By day 3 or so, we would pass them on board and smile or say hi, and they would look away! They wouldn't even talk to us! Really?? Anyway, we ended up taking home the Ship on a Stick. :p

Whenever we do trivia, or sign up for a Meet and Mingle, I always remember that family.

Sorry for the hijack...carry on!

After my last Freedom cruise, I might add that I expect if Royal changes the time and location after people have boarded that they will tell everyone. They have messed me up twice now.

After my last Freedom cruise, I might add that I expect if Royal changes the time and location after people have boarded that they will tell everyone. They have messed me up twice now.

This is why I suggest an informal M&M on boarding day, so everyone can touch base on the schedule for the formal M&M. About half the time the formal M&M is changed from what the website said pre-cruise, and many of the roll call members don't get notified.

I rarely go anymore. Most are quite boring and I really don't want any of the junk that they raffle off. I've formed many more friendships at pre M&M functions such a pre cruise dinner or boarding day meeting in the Schooner Bar. Most M&Ms have gotten too large and controlled to get to know people. I do attend if there is someone on the roll call that I either know or that I want to meet.