What are your expectations when you attend a Meet and Mingle?

I just sign up so the group can make their numbers and rarely attend. Earlier the few I attended were usually dominated by those who were "know it alls", professional crew butt wipers, or those who were so loud they dominated the presentation and made the whole experience unpleasant. I'm on vacation so why waste time in a contrived meeting at an awkward time. ;)

I just sign up so the group can make their numbers and rarely attend. Earlier the few I attended were usually dominated by those who were "know it alls", professional crew butt wipers, or those who were so loud they dominated the presentation and made the whole experience unpleasant. I'm on vacation so why waste time in a contrived meeting at an awkward time. ;)

Exactly my stance. Now if they provided alcohol. :o

I do find the timing of the M&M to be awkward at times. I am very much into trivia and if the M&M is at the same time as trivia I will choose trivia. If the meeting is too early, as in before 9 am...no thanks, I like my mornings on vacation to be leisurely, not rushed.

Part of the reason I sign up for the M and M or even post on the group for our sailings is to get an idea of what the cruise will feel like, get excursion ideas and a few times joined excursions planned by our group. We have joined some wonderful people on excursions that MADE the cruise. Other times we have not really "felt it". On a back to back last year we met and spent time with 2 great couples.

You do have to put yourself out there a bit at the M and M if you really want to meet others. Or just go for the hokey prizes they give out. My suggestion is to join the M and M, post on the boards for your cruise and then decide if you want to take your vacation time to go. No one takes roll call. I think it is a great thing that RCL does for us and I would hate to see it go away. It takes minimal time and cost for them.

This is a great point, especially when dealing with private excursions.

I do find the timing of the M&M to be awkward at times. I am very much into trivia and if the M&M is at the same time as trivia I will choose trivia. If the meeting is too early, as in before 9 am...no thanks, I like my mornings on vacation to be leisurely, not rushed.

Sounds reasonable. The only bad timing one I had was with my southern caribbean cruise only having 1 sea day and that was the last day of the cruise. They held it at 5pm on a port day. People had to be back on time at that time and it was before early seating. I thought Royal did the best possible of a less than ideal situation.

The only conflict I have had was with my 2013 Allure cruise. They held the M&M at the same time as one of the upper tier welcome back events on the boardwalk. Seeing a Royal member unwrap about 100 champagne flutes and put his fingers on the rim of every one I didn't mind missing that. This M&M was the greatest of all time so I wasn't going to miss it. 8000 posts in 500 days with several related events. It was an epic party.

Isn't signing up with no intention of going kind of like lying to RCI? They invest some $$$ in the parties and have the standard to make the parties worth their trouble and time. I've been to a few where there were just around 10 that showed up and I felt sorry for RCI having to go to the trouble.

I've never been at ones where anyone dominated anything except maybe the Asst. CD or someone else from the cruise line.

If it's not fun for you, I totally understand that. Not everyone is into socializing and the parties are not for everyone, but there's no need to be so condescending about the people that do enjoy them.

Tom

OK, this is true. We *do* have to have priorities. I've found a lot of people that frequent the roll calls and attend the parties are also into trivia (we met people at these that we joined for trivia groups). So, it would be dumb for the cruise line to cross schedule them, but, alas...

Tom

I think we're doing that same cruise in May and you make a very good point, if the party is on the last day of the cruise you almost wonder why they bother. Most roll calls will put together an informal meeting on the first day anyway. I don't know how they'd do it on a port day though so it's kind of a conundrum.

Tom

Sounds reasonable. The only bad timing one I had was with my southern caribbean cruise only having 1 sea day and that was the last day of the cruise. They held it at 5pm on a port day. People had to be back on time at that time and it was before early seating. I thought Royal did the best possible of a less than ideal situation.

The only conflict I have had was with my 2013 Allure cruise. They held the M&M at the same time as one of the upper tier welcome back events on the boardwalk. Seeing a Royal member unwrap about 100 champagne flutes and put his fingers on the rim of every one I didn't mind missing that. This M&M was the greatest of all time so I wasn't going to miss it. 8000 posts in 500 days with several related events. It was an epic party.

Here is what I do. First, get on the roll call.

I suggest that anyone that would like to meet me, I choose a pool bar, and tell them I will be there two hours before sail away.

I tell them what I will be wearing, so they can easily see who I am.

I get to the bar a half hour early, and introduce myself to the bartender, who will become my best and dearest friend throughout the cruise. I tell him that about 10 to 30 people will be joining me soon, and I give him a nice tip.

When folks start arriving, we meet, introduce ourselves, and I introduce them to my new dearest friend by name.

You cannot believe the "special service" I get throughout the remainder of the cruise.

I love this and it's somewhat similar to what we have done in the past. :D

The most important thing about having a great and entertaining M&M is to have a vibrant and active roll call.

Going to go check mine now.

Sea Ya:)

We have attended several Meet & Mingle gatherings, and it's my opinion that the smaller they are, the better they are. It lends itself to actually meeting and mingling with other people. We attended one that was so large (nearly 500 people,) that it was actually impossible to speak with anyone other than who we were sitting with.

Like anything else, any gathering is what the people will make of it. If they go and actually make an attempt to socialize, then they will have a great time. If you go and sit there waiting for the world to come to you, then it might not be so much fun;):)

It's final; I'm definitely bringing my hotdog costume and wearing it to the M&M. Or maybe something more subtle like a huge 'fro wig and a leisure suit. I want to have a good time and potentially make friends at these things. Or maybe that'll actually have the opposite effect? :)

Personally, I hope it's a little clique-y. It's easier to make an impression on someone when you take them out of their comfort zone.

It's final; I'm definitely bringing my hotdog costume and wearing it to the M&M. Or maybe something more subtle like a huge 'fro wig and a leisure suit. I want to have a good time and potentially make friends at these things. Or maybe that'll actually have the opposite effect? :)

Personally, I hope it's a little clique-y. It's easier to make an impression on someone when you take them out of their comfort zone.

That's it -- costume's GREAT.

Do you think Royal came up with the concept. I first heard of it in 2005 on Celebrity TA. But then, that is when I first stumbled onto CC. :o

I can't say that.....I have no idea when they started....as you say, your first connection to CC was in 2005, mine was much later in 2013.

So let's just ASK EVERYONE -- When was your first encounter with a Meet N Mingle?

I think it was around 2003 that the roll call threads started. Prior to that they were all mixed up and listed on the main board. I don't recall if the Meet & Mingles started that same year or not. My M&M records only go back to 2005. :)

I can't say that.....I have no idea when they started....as you say, your first connection to CC was in 2005, mine was much later in 2013.

So let's just ASK EVERYONE -- When was your first encounter with a Meet N Mingle?

I have no idea about our first M&M but our first cruise was in '86

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

meetandmingle_zpsc0b54a25.jpg

For me the Meet & Mingle is a time set aside, I hope to meet the people that have posted on the board for the build up and excitement of the cruise.

I enjoy meeting people from around our country and those from other countries

I like to put the name and face together. Some people are just a bit shy and it's nice to be able to connect with them.

Paulette you started a nice conversation piece here. I look forward to meeting you at our Meet & Mingle in only 7 Day's

OK, this is true. We *do* have to have priorities. I've found a lot of people that frequent the roll calls and attend the parties are also into trivia (we met people at these that we joined for trivia groups). So, it would be dumb for the cruise line to cross schedule them, but, alas...

Tom

another trivia nut here...

as i've mentioned, i've only been on one royal cruise so far, but i totally fell in love with it - assuming all royal cruises have the level of activities that i experienced on that cruise, royal will have me for life....

while disney has wonderful ships, great service, good food, etc etc, there are just no activities for adults - silly games, trivia, dance classes, etc....

when i'm on a cruise, i'm looking for summer camp for adults...lots of fun activities for adults....

by the way, we met our trivia partners at the M&M....

they were one of the very active couples on the roll call....

but until the M&M, no mention was made of trivia...

at the M&M, someone said - 'wanna be trivia partners"? not sure who...and that was that...

we had our group of 6 for the rest of the cruise....

we made it to almost every single trivia event including the whatever it's called, that continues through the cruise (which we won :D )

and not just trivia - dance that tune, and some other nonsense games (which we won as well :D - hmmmm do you detect a bit of competitiveness??)

anyway....we met at the M&M and the rest was history :)

Edited by alaska_planner

meetandmingle_zpsc0b54a25.jpg

For me the Meet & Mingle is a time set aside, I hope to meet the people that have posted on the board for the build up and excitement of the cruise.

I enjoy meeting people from around our country and those from other countries

I like to put the name and face together. Some people are just a bit shy and it's nice to be able to connect with them.

Paulette you started a nice conversation piece here. I look forward to meeting you at our Meet & Mingle in only 7 Day's

You and I will meet before the Meet & Mingle sometime on Day 1 somewhere around the ship....I will have my trusty hat on and shirt (unless I am in my bathing suit). I start vacation the second I am on the ship.

I just hope you are glad we met, after cruising 8 days with me.....I try to have lots of fun and have fun with everyone I meet. Life is too short for anything else!

Who sets up the meet and mingle, the cruise line or cruise critic???? My family and I are going on our 1st RC cruise in July and I am trying to find out the most to get out of our cruise. I want to meet new people.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:) Have you visisted your roll call thread yet? If not, you should pop in and join the chat. RCI will set up the M&M after 25 people have signed up (which you do by clicking on the link from your roll call page and following the instructions). Have a great cruise!:)

your comment about 'big' personality reminded me of our roll call thread leader...

online he had a HUGE personality. Very funny, outgoing, talkative person.

In person, he was soooooooooooooooooooo quiet and shy.

Still very funny and nice as nice can be. But sooooooooooooooooo quiet.

At the M&M i wasn't sure who he was until it came out.

It was so interesting how he was in writing vs in person.

But even though he's so quiet, he still LOVED to participate - in the sense of being with others.

So he made sure we all signed up for a few things together.

Though he didn't actively participate, he loved to be there with us.

I'm making him sound creepy, but he wasn't.

He was there with his very sweet and beautiful wife.

The two of them would participate together. Both so sweet and quiet.

A really really really really BIG LOUD personality online, but not in person. it's so interesting.

I find it very interesting you say that, as I had a similar experience on one of my roll calls. There was a user who seemed to be very "up their own butt" on the roll call, and made myself and a few others not really bother about whether we met up with him or not. In person, he was a lot nicer.

I've been to two M&M's and they nothing special, I generally only spoke to the same people I did on the board previously, but the M&M's were at a very inconvenient time in that they were scheduled 45 minuted before the Crown and Anchor Welcome back party so everyone (including the staff running it) wanted to rush off and go there instead.

I find it very interesting you say that, as I had a similar experience on one of my roll calls. There was a user who seemed to be very "up their own butt" on the roll call, and made myself and a few others not really bother about whether we met up with him or not. In person, he was a lot nicer.

I've been to two M&M's and they nothing special, I generally only spoke to the same people I did on the board previously, but the M&M's were at a very inconvenient time in that they were scheduled 45 minuted before the Crown and Anchor Welcome back party so everyone (including the staff running it) wanted to rush off and go there instead.

I have been to two M&M's -- one on Jewel and the other on Allure. The one on Allure, was scheduled immediately prior to the Crown and Anchor Welcome Back event -- however, that was better than the way it was originally scheduled which was 'at exactly the same time as the Crown and Anchor Welcome Back event. Luckily, when I realized that it was going to be a conflict, I contacted a friend that works for the Royal Home Office and asked how to get it changed. She said she would relay the conflict to the Hotel Manager, who would see what could be done to make sure they were not at the same time. Viola....in that case, one immediately following the other, was much better than 'at the same time'.

On Jewel, we had no idea of what the Meet N Mingle would be like, it was our first. We met some great people at the Meet N Mingle, it was fun to have more friendly faces around the ship.

By the Allure one, I realized that the more engaging the Roll Call, the more likely the M&M could be more fun. We made an effort to meet people on the pool deck on embarkation day, even.

Now, looking towards our Indy cruise, the Roll Call has enabled some people to find excursions to do (coincidently with each other), and we are planning a place to meet onboard on embarkation day. By the time the M&M comes, it will serve as a way to meet more people....all great....it can be what you make it.

I think it was around 2003 that the roll call threads started. Prior to that they were all mixed up and listed on the main board. I don't recall if the Meet & Mingles started that same year or not. My M&M records only go back to 2005. :)

Kind of like what is happening on Facebook now, except there most people have their real names posted. I got rebuked quite heavily once when I suggested joining a facebook group with your real name and when you are away from home might be less than a brilliant idea.