Flags on balconies

ilovetotravel1977

Well we can see your useless responses are only to get your post count up...answer the question asked or dont post...take your trolling elsewhere...

6&8

Ignore is bliss: responding to trollers will indeed just get their posting count up.

Unfortunately CC has very old forum software that does not have the "red" or "green" dot system yet where people can hate or like a post, that typically takes care of that kind of posters.

That said.... I like the idea of putting a flag on the balcony to make it easier to identify which one it is when in port. Then again, especially on the aft, one can easily count which room/balcony is yours anyway, thus that is not a huge bonus.

But I also agree with others posting that it is likely a firehazard, you will have to remove it typically for cleaning (unless you think a big firehose of cleaning water does not blow it away) and other such things.

Hence, while those pics with the flag flying looks cool, I don't think it is the right spot to have one.

Definitely ask an official of the ship if they are allowed. Though you'll likely quickly be told by a room steward if there are big issues with it. (Seeing that some people fly them kind of shows it might not be a too big issue).

Well we can see your useless responses are only to get your post count up...answer the question asked or dont post...take your trolling elsewhere...

6&8

Not a troll. I have an opinion even it doesn't jive with yours. I asked a question, what is the purpose?

I'm sure it won't be an issue. But personally, I don't care for it. I think they can be noisy, they can fall off, and frankly, I think it looks trashy when the ship is in port and there are flags or towels or banners hanging on the balconies.

Some might flame me for this, but I'm only giving my honest opinion. I would never say anything to someone doing it, but I'll be honest about it here among strangers...

Im going with you on this one .. if it became a trend with AFT balcony cabins Im fairly sure I would would not like the view...

As for now , meh , I have not seen one yet on any of my cruises....;)

Thank you for all of the useful replies.

Just for clarification, I wouldn't be flying it off the railing, just hanging down the glass. I actually only thought about doing it because I found a photo of the Aft-facing balconies for the Epic and I saw a Canada flag hanging down the glass. We have one of those balconies for our cruise, so it just got me thinking.

But it makes sense that folks might only hang them while in port, as another poster mentioned, who else is going to see it while at sea?

We've brought the car flags (also in aft balconies) and used a bungee cord wrapped well around them and the railing to secure them. Haven't lost one yet, but on Carnival at least seemed like we had to take them down every other day for "balcony washing".

IMG_2762.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now you have done it. I showed your picture to my DH and he ordered this for our upcoming cruise for our aft balcony.

Edited by Linda the Book Lover
Picture disappeared...tried to repost

Well, we're pretty flexible - the AF flag is for my son who just graduated from the AF Academy in May and is now an AF officer.

Middle son will graduate in June and be commissioned as a Submarine Officer in the Navy.

Meanwhile, DH & I both went to West Point and spent many years in the Army! Haven't successfully found an Army car flag (although I have a full-size one) - someone sent me a link on that last cruise and I meant to order one and now we leave in about 36 hours so I don't think I'm going to make it! :)

Now you have done it. I showed your picture to my DH and he ordered this for our upcoming cruise for our aft balcony.

Time to order another US Air Force Flag for our cruises.:p:p

Well, we're pretty flexible - the AF flag is for my son who just graduated from the AF Academy in May and is now an AF officer.

Middle son will graduate in June and be commissioned as a Submarine Officer in the Navy.

Meanwhile, DH & I both went to West Point and spent many years in the Army! Haven't successfully found an Army car flag (although I have a full-size one) - someone sent me a link on that last cruise and I meant to order one and now we leave in about 36 hours so I don't think I'm going to make it! :)

This is for you: Have a great cruise:)

CARDS022__20414.1406528067.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

So now that we have a B1 Aft-facing balcony, I was thinking of getting a Canada flag, just like I see in some photos of others with Aft balconies.

Just wondering what size people would typically buy. Obviously I don't want it to take up the whole glass, just a part of it.

Anyone with experience hanging these on their cruises?

Since you asked...

No, I have not and never will. No flags, no signs, no banners, no windsocks. It makes a ship look like a floating housing project where the residents have hung their laundry over the railing.

I'll agree that the whole idea seems rather silly and showy. No one around you cares two hoots where you come from. I agree makes the ship look tacky, could be a noise nuisance for others and certainly shouldn't be allowed from a cruise rules perspective. Keep all your personal decorating items at home

Edited by conandrob240

Just for clarification, I wouldn't be flying it off the railing, just hanging down the glass. I actually only thought about doing it because I found a photo of the Aft-facing balconies for the Epic and I saw a Canada flag hanging down the glass. We have one of those balconies for our cruise, so it just got me thinking.

But it makes sense that folks might only hang them while in port, as another poster mentioned, who else is going to see it while at sea?

No one else wants to see it, so don't concern yourself about that.

Edited by conandrob240

Feel free to fly your flag. Other people don't have to look at it if they want and as 50% French Canadian, I would enjoy seeing this flag.

Regardless of NCL rules and regulations - Maritime Laws - personal opinions

and YADA YADA YADA - if you are flying the flag of your country remember

to fly it with the same respect you would if back on your own terra firma !

Your flag is not flown upside down - take your distress signals elsewhere !

If in a aft facing cabin try not to fly a flag bigger than the ship's flag of registry

flying off the stern masthead !

Only if you are a survivor of the Carnival Triumph are you authorized to fly

flags three sheets to the wind.

I will stop now for fear that I may be placed on the "No Cruise Ship List" ! LOL !