How Many of you cruise with only carry on luggag?

kelbre

@ geocruiser

Hey don't beat yourself up! It just happens that this trip, you're going to be happier with those things you've chosen to take, than by travelling more lightly.

Can I suggest this: pack in your carryon (not your "personal item") a balanced selection of garments: 4 tops, 2 bottoms, a thin topper/jacket/sweater... all coordinated. Four or five sets of underwear. A collapsible umbrella. A single swimsuit (make sure one of your tops can serve as a coverup) and $2 flipflops assuming a warm weather/beach cruise. And anything you feel you MUST have for the cruise cabin, as long as it's small enough... for me that would be a map and command strips for sticking it up over a picture, say, although that might also fit in my 'personal item', along with my bare-minimum quart bag and my smartphone (phablet) with its abilities and apps for camera, alarm clock, flashlight, kindle-reading, etc. Don't forget the charger and/or extra batteries for the phone and any other electronics or separate camera you're taking. Travel in broken-in walking shoes that will also go with the other clothes.

Then pack all the other stuff in the other suitcase and check it, knowing that if it somehow misses the boat, you will still be OK! If your case comes sliding down onto the carousel all the better! -- you can change clothes and shoes more often, do less or no hand-wash, wear different fancy outfits to the formal night(s) in the MDR, and enjoy your cruise as you've pictured yourself doing. But you're still packing and travelling like a pro! (NOT "a failure", cuz you're not!!!)

@ geocruiser

Hey don't beat yourself up! It just happens that this trip, you're going to be happier with those things you've chosen to take, than by travelling more lightly.

Can I suggest this: pack in your carryon (not your "personal item") a balanced selection of garments: 4 tops, 2 bottoms, a thin topper/jacket/sweater... all coordinated. Four or five sets of underwear. A collapsible umbrella. A single swimsuit (make sure one of your tops can serve as a coverup) and $2 flipflops assuming a warm weather/beach cruise. And anything you feel you MUST have for the cruise cabin, as long as it's small enough... for me that would be a map and command strips for sticking it up over a picture, say, although that might also fit in my 'personal item', along with my bare-minimum quart bag and my smartphone (phablet) with its abilities and apps for camera, alarm clock, flashlight, kindle-reading, etc. Don't forget the charger and/or extra batteries for the phone and any other electronics or separate camera you're taking. Travel in broken-in walking shoes that will also go with the other clothes.

Then pack all the other stuff in the other suitcase and check it, knowing that if it somehow misses the boat, you will still be OK! If your case comes sliding down onto the carousel all the better! -- you can change clothes and shoes more often, do less or no hand-wash, wear different fancy outfits to the formal night(s) in the MDR, and enjoy your cruise as you've pictured yourself doing. But you're still packing and travelling like a pro! (NOT "a failure", cuz you're not!!!)

. I even thought of two rolling carry-on. I was thinking of just carrying my luggage onto the ship. We are driving to the pier so I can take more. I know I all ways take too much.

Oh hey then! If you're driving to and from the same port -- there's no point in starving yourself for garments OR sundries! I don't do carry-on only just to brag about it -- it's a matter of airline uncertainty and (now) cost. When I drive to my mom's in Utah, I pack my clothes in one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10401037?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000014751&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40343551832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78307294952&veh=sem

:D:D:D

When we got off the ship (at our home port) from the Panama Canal -- I had at least two additional totes than when I flew to Florida! :eek: I didn't buy THAT many souvenirs, but things seem to expand as much as they can!

The only real concern for you would be, being able to handle all of your luggage at once, and two roll-aboard suitcases is a great approach. We took a fourth rolling case (between three adults) on the cruise around South America, just for cold-weather gear and an additional dinner outfit apiece. With daypacks as our personal items, we could not only handle it all, but any two people could spell the third (such as for trips to the restroom) if necessary.

Edited by crystalspin

Oh hey then! If you're driving to and from the same port -- there's no point in starving yourself for garments OR sundries! I don't do carry-on only just to brag about it -- it's a matter of airline uncertainty and (now) cost. When I drive to my mom's in Utah, I pack my clothes in one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10401037?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000014751&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40343551832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78307294952&veh=sem

:D:D:D

When we got off the ship (at our home port) from the Panama Canal -- I had at least two additional totes than when I flew to Florida! :eek: I didn't buy THAT many souvenirs, but things seem to expand as much as they can!

The only real concern for you would be, being able to handle all of your luggage at once, and two roll-aboard suitcases is a great approach. We took a fourth rolling case (between three adults) on the cruise around South America, just for cold-weather gear and an additional dinner outfit apiece. With daypacks as our personal items, we could not only handle it all, but any two people could spell the third (such as for trips to the restroom) if necessary.

So far I am able to handle two rolling pieces of luggage. On our last seven night cruise we brought two med size pieces and two rolling carry-on bag. I did not have each one filled, but they are easier to lift out of the car trunk if not so heavy. My DH does the lifting.

don't sweat it if you are driving to your port. You aren't at the mercy of any airline and TSA agent (with their hatred of anything over 3.2 oz). For me, I pack the way I pack because I fly everywhere and I am the one who will be responsible for hauling my luggage onto those planes, busses, trains… And, my car is a little 2-seater sports car, it doesn't have room to fit anything larger than my Osprey Sojourn in the trunk and a daypack in the passenger seat :D

don't sweat it if you are driving to your port. You aren't at the mercy of any airline and TSA agent (with their hatred of anything over 3.2 oz). For me, I pack the way I pack because I fly everywhere and I am the one who will be responsible for hauling my luggage onto those planes, busses, trains… And, my car is a little 2-seater sports car, it doesn't have room to fit anything larger than my Osprey Sojourn in the trunk and a daypack in the passenger seat :D

Did have a friend (since passed away), that her and her husband would travel with one suitcase and one carry on. They both dressed well. He even used a tux on formal night! I know she told me to pack cloths that were light in weight and mix and match. But I can not remember her wearing the same thing twice. How she did it I don't know.

Did have a friend (since passed away), that her and her husband would travel with one suitcase and one carry on. They both dressed well. He even used a tux on formal night! I know she told me to pack cloths that were light in weight and mix and match. But I can not remember her wearing the same thing twice. How she did it I don't know.

There are some women on CC who equate taking multiple large suitcases with the only way to "dress well", or one must use spreadsheets and the extra bedroom to come up with the exact list of 3 different uniforms/day and not do any on-board laundry. Those of us who travel carryon-style are frequently, but politely, thought of as dressing sloppy or not making the "extra effort" to look nice. It used to bother me, as I am always neat and clean and dressed appropriately for wherever I am - I have never felt out of place nor have I been turned away from anyplace for inappropriate attire. Now, I just smile as I whisk past them on my way to my next adventure.

There are some women on CC who equate taking multiple large suitcases with the only way to "dress well", or one must use spreadsheets and the extra bedroom to come up with the exact list of 3 different uniforms/day and not do any on-board laundry. Those of us who travel carryon-style are frequently, but politely, thought of as dressing sloppy or not making the "extra effort" to look nice. It used to bother me, as I am always neat and clean and dressed appropriately for wherever I am - I have never felt out of place nor have I been turned away from anyplace for inappropriate attire. Now, I just smile as I whisk past them on my way to my next adventure.

WOW...really? I know I pack with 1 checked bag and 1 carry on my cruises that are 7 nights are longer but I have never even thought

about women who only travel with carry on bags as "sloppy dressers".

The thought has never crossed my mind to be honest. I just figure

that is how they choose to pack. Just as I choose to bring 2 pieces

of luggage, they bring 1.

Sorry you have found gals who are so judgmental about how you

pack.

WOW...really? I know I pack with 1 checked bag and 1 carry on my cruises that are 7 nights are longer but I have never even thought

about women who only travel with carry on bags as "sloppy dressers".

The thought has never crossed my mind to be honest. I just figure

that is how they choose to pack. Just as I choose to bring 2 pieces

of luggage, they bring 1.

Sorry you have found gals who are so judgmental about how you

pack.

There used to be some women on this board who made those comments. If we didn't take a train case full of makeup, we weren't making the effort to present ourselves well. If we didn't take a different dress for each night and pack the old prom dress to use on formal night, we weren't dressing up enough. They would say people who went out of the house in yoga pants and no makeup were sloppy. Fortunately, they mostly have vacated the forum.

I hold nothing against anyone who has the means to take as much luggage as they want and dress as many times as they want on a trip. The size of my one bag does vary from trip to trip. Even when I was married, I was a one bag person, but bag was a large 30" rolling duffel. Now that I have to lug everything I take myself, I have comfortably downsized and I haven't missed out on anything. I don't always travel with just a carryon, but my "check it with the airline" bag is only 25 x 14 x 13 and I can still lift it up into the overhead on a train or put it on my back where wheels don't work or carry it up the 4 flights of stairs where there are no elevators. It usually comes with me when I know I will be buying something special on my trip and I will need that extra room.

There used to be some women on this board who made those comments. If we didn't take a train case full of makeup, we weren't making the effort to present ourselves well. If we didn't take a different dress for each night and pack the old prom dress to use on formal night, we weren't dressing up enough. They would say people who went out of the house in yoga pants and no makeup were sloppy. Fortunately, they mostly have vacated the forum.

I hold nothing against anyone who has the means to take as much luggage as they want and dress as many times as they want on a trip. The size of my one bag does vary from trip to trip. Even when I was married, I was a one bag person, but bag was a large 30" rolling duffel. Now that I have to lug everything I take myself, I have comfortably downsized and I haven't missed out on anything. I don't always travel with just a carryon, but my "check it with the airline" bag is only 25 x 14 x 13 and I can still lift it up into the overhead on a train or put it on my back where wheels don't work or carry it up the 4 flights of stairs where there are no elevators. It usually comes with me when I know I will be buying something special on my trip and I will need that extra room.

Hi, I have always traveled solo....my largest bag is about 25 inches.....

but that is definitely too large to be a "carry on bag".

I never meant what I posted a a put down to any one. I never said that to use a carry on meant that people were dressing sloppy or not make a effort to look nice. I am sorry that you think my post may have said that. I have never made those comments.

My friend did a great job of packing. She knew how to roll/fold their cloths right. She taught me to stuff my husband's socks into his shoes to save space. Also she would put her costume jewelry in her husband's socks and then stuff them into his shoes.

Once on board the ship no one really knows how many suite cases any one has brought with them, if they only use a carry on or brought 10 suite cases with them.

Edited by geocruiser

I have yet to cruise with carry on luggage only...but I haven't tried very hard to achieve this goal yet. I'll be cruising twice in April. I plan on taking carry on only on both cruises.

I'm going to be trying a whole new methodology for my packing. I've recently come across Japanese author Marie Kondo, who is something of an expert on the idea of organizing your home, once and for all. Her methodology begins with the process of decreasing your belongings to the point where everything in your home "sparks joy". This drastically reduces your belongings...and creates a household filled with the things you love.

Imagine how you take care of an outfit that you love versus one that you could care less about... I think the idea is that it becomes easy to find a "home" for everything you now own within your home. And it is easier to care for your things and keep your space tidy because everything you own actually has a home. There's more but for the purposes of this discussion...

I'm about to embark on this festival in my home...and I'm going to apply the same principles to what I pack for my trip. Knowing myself, I don't imagine that there will be too many items of clothing that will truly "spark joy" and be what I want to wear on my vacations. Thus, I'm hoping that my choices will fit in a carry on.

From past experience, I know that the personal care products and other misc are really what seem to be the space hogs...so using this same principle for these items...and making sure that my product is minimized for the needs only of the length of my trip...I hope that between the carry on luggage and the allowed personal item, I can get the job done without having to check baggage.

I look forward to everything associated with taking fewer items...from the packing and unpacking...to the hauling around...to the post vacation laundry!

I never meant what I posted a a put down to any one. I never said that to use a carry on meant that people were dressing sloppy or not make a effort to look nice. I am sorry that you think my post may have said that. I have never made those comments.

My friend did a great job of packing. She knew how to roll/fold their cloths right. She taught me to stuff my husband's socks into his shoes to save space. Also she would put her costume jewelry in her husband's socks and then stuff them into his shoes.

Once on board the ship no one really knows how many suite cases any one has brought with them, if they only use a carry on or brought 10 suite cases with them.

Hi, I didn't take your post as a put down of anyone at all. I think that

comment may have been referring to posts over the years.....I could

be wrong of course, but I didn't read anything in your posting that

were negative towards anyone:)

Edited by Lois R

Hi, I didn't take your post as a put down of anyone at all. I think that

comment may have been referrring to posts over the years.....I could

be wrong of course, but I didn't read anything in your posting that

were negative towards anyone:)

Thank you. I don't like to be negative towards anyone. Some time it happens with out thinking about how I write something. but I try to not say the wrong thing.

Thanks again.

@ Anita Latte

I love it when you talk that way!

I have been trying to purge my cluttered home (clutter = things out of place, and I have so much stuff I've run out of places!) with the William Morris quote as my guide:

Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

I'm off to google Marie Kondo!

I researched her as much as I could...read what all was available in the google preview of her book "the life-changing magic of tidying up" and finally had to break down and buy the book. I finished reading it quickly...full of insight and a fair share of quirky...I've come across her ideas and POV often in other arenas and so I very much enjoyed her application toward possessions and living space. Enjoy!

I moved just over 2 years ago and I cleaned out tons and tons of stuff....

I am very happy where I am......and really can say I don't have much

of any "extra crap" anymore. Honestly, purging my home? Maybe I am

just lucky but nothing needs to be purged except maybe some clothing

that is too small.:rolleyes:

I moved just over 2 years ago and I cleaned out tons and tons of stuff....

I am very happy where I am......and really can say I don't have much

of any "extra crap" anymore. Honestly, purging my home? Maybe I am

just lucky but nothing needs to be purged except maybe some clothing

that is too small.:rolleyes:

I moved this past summer...two summers ago...four summers ago...and often, often, often before that. I'm almost 43 and the longest I have ever lived in one home is 4 years. With each move, I lighten the load...however, I can't say that I am surrounded only by things I love. And I have yet to achieve my goal of "a place for everything, and everything in its place."

I congratulate you for your achievement...I can't wait to get there.

I moved this past summer...two summers ago...four summers ago...and often, often, often before that. I'm almost 43 and the longest I have ever lived in one home is 4 years. With each move, I lighten the load...however, I can't say that I am surrounded only by things I love. And I have yet to achieve my goal of "a place for everything, and everything in its place."

I congratulate you for your achievement...I can't wait to get there.

Oh.......I lived in my previous place for more than 20 years. This move?

Well, I am 56 and unless something major happens, this is the last place

I will live...until I end up in the cruiseship in te sky:eek:

Oh.......I lived in my previous place for more than 20 years. This move?

Well, I am 56 and unless something major happens, this is the last place

I will live...until I end up in the cruiseship in te sky:eek:

My Grandmother had a similar life. I believe there are blessings for both the more stationary and the more nomad life paths. While I have often wished to not move quite so often...I have enjoyed living in all the different places that I have lived...CA, TX, AZ, CO, KS, and now GA. In some states, I lived in more than one major metro area.

I'm praying that we will stay put through DS' HS graduation...which means that the current house will be one I've lived in the longest, a record 5 years should our hopes be realized. DH and I look forward to no restrictions (like school attendance zones) on our next location...and we plan to move after DS goes off to university.

So I have 4 years to get things squared away before the next move. :cool:

Finally getting settled into this house is my goal for 2015. Hoping to be all sorted before DS starts high school in the fall and have some time to enjoy being here.

I bought her "Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up" on my Kindle (which I'm currently reading on my Samsung Note 3 phablet).

Hope you enjoy! My DH is traveling next week for business. I plan to start with my clothing while he's gone.

I recently (and finally) finished the exercise of the "Style Statement" book. That's a piece of work...and not a quick project at all...it took me 4 years to get through it...others didn't struggle as much as I. Anyway, I'm very interested to see if what remains after sorting my clothing will reflect what I discovered through the Style Statement book.

Fortunately, DH is on board with the whole process so we will tackle other areas together. I've talked with him...but he doesn't have time to read the book...so we'll see how it goes.

I just want to say that I now realize that I read your post wrong. I now see that it was not directed at me. I am sending my apologizes to you. Sorry that I miss understood you.

Geocruiser - I did not take your posting as a putdown. I tried to explain that there were some women on this forum a year or two ago who were very nasty about women who didn't take a ton of stuff with them to "make the effort" to "look nice"… Sorry if you thought I was putting this toward you. The attitudes in the forum have changed drastically to the better lately.

We're all good.

On the moving/getting rid of things: When the now-ex walked out on me for the white-trash hussy, I had to move myself and my dog from a 3600 sq. foot place to a 1500 sq. foot place AND go through everything from the 1600 sq. ft. vacation house. I still have some things in boxes from that!!!

Edited by slidergirl