How Many of you cruise with only carry on luggag?

kelbre

Geocruiser - I did not take your posting as a putdown. I tried to explain that there were some women on this forum a year or two ago who were very nasty about women who didn't take a ton of stuff with them to "make the effort" to "look nice"… Sorry if you thought I was putting this toward you. The attitudes in the forum have changed drastically to the better lately.

We're all good.

On the moving/getting rid of things: When the now-ex walked out on me for the white-trash hussy, I had to move myself and my dog from a 3600 sq. foot place to a 1500 sq. foot place AND go through everything from the 1600 sq. ft. vacation house. I still have some things in boxes from that!!!

Sorry to hear about what your EX did to you. That is very painful. You had a lot of downsizing to do and a lot of changes in your life. Your new home may be smaller but it is yours for your new start.

Hadn't thought about it, but at 23 years, I've lived in this house longer than any before. Lois, we are the same age, but I know we'll move at least one more time.

Moving every few years (or months!) does help cut down on THINGS. Every year or two I've been telling myself to go through the house (and garage!) and purge as if I were moving... but it doesn't really work unless you know the moving van is going to be here on a real date!

Two weeks on the Zaandam in Nov/Dec and two weeks in our 19' travel trailer this month, really have me aware of how little I can get by on day to day.

Edited by crystalspin

Funny how little things will evoke big feelings. I didn't mean to vent, but sometimes my writings do end up as vents…

I've got a 2 week trip coming up to Italy. I'll take one of my 22" bags unless I know I'll be buying something that I'll have to pack for the trip home. It's a weird trip, thanks to last-minute FF tickets and really cheap hotel rates from my employer (an advantage to working for a world-wide hotel company that has several brands under it's umbrella ;) ). Red-eye (12:55am) flight from home on DL to JFK, 9 hours before my connection on AZ to FCO, 4 days Rome, train to Florence, 4 days Florence, train back to Rome, 4 days Rome, 1 night at Hilton FCO, early flight out of FCO. The 9 hour connection at JFK is really wanting me to do carryon. I might get a dayroom near JFK and would want the ability to freshen up and change clothes before the AZ flight. Or, I'll at least use one of the lounges I have access to and shower and change clothes. I'll get into FCO at 7am, so I'll want to change clothes again to out and about for the day; I'll store the bag at my hotel until my room is ready (as an employee, I can't ask for special favors like early check-in). I'll give the clothes I wore during the incoming flights to the hotel to launder. I'll use those same clothes on the way back home.

Hadn't thought about it, but at 23 years, I've lived in this house longer than any before. Lois, we are the same age, but I know we'll move at least one more time.

Moving every few years (or months!) does help cut down on THINGS. Every year or two I've been telling myself to go through the house (and garage!) and purge as if I were moving... but it doesn't really work unless you know the moving van is going to be here on a real date!

Two weeks on the Zaandam in Nov/Dec and two weeks in our 19' travel trailer this month, really have me aware of how little I can get by on day to day.

Just curious, how do you know you will move at least one more time?

At least? So there is a chance you will move multiple times? Due to

work? Or you just like to move?

I just tried and failed! Leaving on a cruise on 3/8. I put all my cruise wear on the bed and just tried to fit it into a carry on. No way! I failed, I need one med. size luggage and one carry on to do the job. May next time.:)

That's because you're doing it the wrong way around - don't choose a bag to fit your clothes, choose what clothes you pack to fit your bag.

Packing light is a "State of Mind". Need to be mentally prepared to re wear clothes (not necessarily outfits, this is where The Vivienne Files comes in handy) and do some laundry.

We pack from the ground up--decide how we are traveling and which suitcase are we bringing.

Packing light is a "State of Mind". Need to be mentally prepared to re wear clothes (not necessarily outfits, this is where The Vivienne Files comes in handy) and do some laundry.

We pack from the ground up--decide how we are traveling and which suitcase are we bringing.

I just finished packing our clothes for our cruise. I did better this time then the last. I packed two 24 inch suitcases. Each case is 70% full. This is for two adults, myself and my husband. I did pack formal also for both of us. I could have gotten away with packing one 24 inch full and a rolling carry on. But I decided to use the two 24 inch because of the weight. I did not want my DH to have to lift a heavy bags into the trunk of the car. We are driving to the port.

I will use another carry on for meds and shampoos etc. Much better than last time. I should have enough things to wear with out washing. But this is a Princess cruise and there is a self service laundry on board or I will send it out.

@ Lois R

Ah, you see -- we're really only here for my husband's work. He grew up in Orange County but the environment (notably population density and traffic!) is not the same as then, and his family is no longer here.

There are two options under consideration: (1) a new opportunity may be opening up thirty miles away. In Southern California, this is not a reasonable commute unless you have a REAL reason not to move (like your kids' school or the other person's job is the OTHER way and it's a compromise -- neither of which applies here). Or (2) that opportunity evaporates, and my husband decides he's had enough of medical practice and retires. We own a townhome/rental/investment property in the town my mom, sis, and brother all live in and that is our planned retirement locale... from which we will travel (and cruise) frequently as long as we are able!

Love the list even though I think you travel with more than I do. However once you get started carry-on only you never turn back!

No regrets!

I would have had less if I didn't have business meetings as well.

I would have had less if I didn't have business meetings as well.

Currently fantasizing that I could turn a potential Sept trip to China into an Alaska cruise vacation on return - the possibility has me immediately running packing lists in my head. I can't remember if you did formal nights in your 20"? Will check out your other threads. I won't know even about the Sept trip to China until the end of March, so I have time:p

Currently fantasizing that I could turn a potential Sept trip to China into an Alaska cruise vacation on return - the possibility has me immediately running packing lists in my head. I can't remember if you did formal nights in your 20"? Will check out your other threads. I won't know even about the Sept trip to China until the end of March, so I have time:p

No, but it's easy to accomplish with a long black skirt and a couple embellished tops.

Something like this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kensie-solid-knit-maxi-skirt?ID=1029637&CategoryID=131&LinkType=#fn=COLOR%3DBlack%26DRESS_LENGTH%3DLong%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D20

paired with something like this:

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/sleeveless-embellished-asymmetrical-tiered-top/570136304?color=001&catId=cat210001&fromSearch=true&scPos=2-4200-5450

or this:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/nine-west-top-sleeveless-tie-neck-blouse?ID=652320&CategoryID=255&LinkType=&swatchColor=Platinum#fn=COLOR%3DSilver%26SLEEVE_LENGTH%3DHalter;;Short Sleeve;;Sleeveless;;3/4 Sleeve%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D10%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D7

They would take little space and you could wear the silver blouse under a suit jacket and the skirt would be a good evening outfit with a more casual top.

I'd pair with rhinestone flat thong sandals.

Fortunately, I don't have to wear suits. For business travel, I tend to wear things like Eileen FIsher slim trousers or a ponte dress with a cardigan & scarf. As much knit as possible for less wrinkling. I'll look over my wardrobe and see what I have that could work - it's a good time of year for that as I'll be moving warm weather & cool weather items around soon.....I do have a JJill pleated maxi skirt I've never found the right casual top to match with that could work....Not sure how it packs.

Edited by Hoyaheel

There are new items available from Sierra Trading Post, http://www.sierratradingpost.com just arrived in stock - Eagle Creek packing cubes, folders, and other travel accessories. The prices are excellent. The online (also catalogue and storefront) retailer has been around for over two decades. I've shopped with them for travel items and have been pleased with brands and quality. New customers may be eligible for a further percent off. You may want to try their online chat or customer service by phone.

I personally am not a fan of packing with cubes, though those I own have come from STP. They quite often post 30 or 40% coupons on their facebook page - I get much better coupons there than from emails from them these days (I shop there often! Just ordered a Timbuk2 backpack and 2 Royal Robbins ponte dresses a couple weeks ago - am using the backpack and one of the dresses during the trip I'm on now!)

They have far more than just "camping" clothing or gear!

For the type of trips we do right now, I pretty much pack carry on only, even though I may check a bag depending on the flight... sometimes on the short haul inter-europe flight there's no room for carry on's.

I only do this because we do a lot of pre & post cruise travel on buses & trains, & have to be able to handle my own luggage...

Everyone has their own comfort level, & should pack accordingly. Having my own pillow & tiny fan that plugs into my iPhone charger is more important to me than extra shoes.

Like a few said on here, it's not a contest :) If I could drive to port, or even fly non stop to a port, I'd definitely take more, or if we ever did a cruise where we flew to the cruise & then just came home after, I'd take more...

But for now, I have to stay with a 15lb carry on, a personal item, my small leather back pack (it's more of a day pack)

Someday I'm going to do an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle, & I'm going to take the biggest suitcase Alaska airlines will allow...:D

Edited by cruise kitty

For the type of trips we do right now, I pretty much pack carry on only, even though I may check a bag depending on the flight... sometimes on the short haul inter-europe flight there's no room for carry on's.

I only do this because we do a lot of pre & post cruise travel on buses & trains, & have to be able to handle my own luggage...

Everyone has their own comfort level, & should pack accordingly. Having my own pillow & tiny fan that plugs into my iPhone charger is more important to me than extra shoes.

Like a few said on here, it's not a contest :) If I could drive to port, or even fly non stop to a port, I'd definitely take more, or if we ever did a cruise where we flew to the cruise & then just came home after, I'd take more...

But for now, I have to stay with a 15lb carry on, a personal item, my small leather back pack (it's more of a day pack)

Someday I'm going to do an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle, & I'm going to take the biggest suitcase Alaska airlines will allow...:D

I am sailing out of Seattle to Alaksa in May:D....I will bring 1 checked

bag and 1 carry on (same as always;)).

Edited by Lois R

cruiseKitty: you must live in the OC… I grew up in the area BEFORE it became "The OC." I miss view…

You mentioned you have a fan that plugs into your iPhone charger - where did you find that? That could be nice to have on those in-between times in Europe (and in my office) when the A/C has not yet been activated and it's 80 degrees...

cruiseKitty: you must live in the OC… I grew up in the area BEFORE it became "The OC." I miss view…

You mentioned you have a fan that plugs into your iPhone charger - where did you find that? That could be nice to have on those in-between times in Europe (and in my office) when the A/C has not yet been activated and it's 80 degrees...

Hi, yes I live in the hills above OC & LA, we're actually going to get rain today (Yea!!) so not much view today, but we really, really need the rain!

I bought my fan at Target, it has a USB plug, so I can use the wall adaptor from my iPhone to plug it in.

It's great in Europe because you don't need a convertor, just the Euro adaptor for the charger part... & it's tiny, but gets the job done. You can also have your laptop charging, & just plug the fan into your laptop if you have a USB plug on it.

& yes, I love (not really) the whole concept of hotels in Europe turning off the AC system in October when it's still hot, I'm they type who likes it cold, I sleep with the window open & a fan on even if it's 40F :)