How Many of you cruise with only carry on luggag?

kelbre

We are headed on Freedom of the Seas on March 15th sailing and i am seriously considering taking inly carryon luggage, as in one small rolling carryon and a small tote....

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated:) thanks!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy! I know others have chimed in already but putting in my .02 as well. I did a carry-on only + purse (tote bag sized) for my cruise last year. It was only 5 nights total but that was a big deal for me because I am an OVERPACKER! Even a wknd trip down the road for me requires luggage. :rolleyes: However, I was paranoid about lost luggage before a cruise! There's no time or place to buy anything. So, I read this site like a hound and picked up a ton of tips and then read a bunch of other website on folding clothes and coordinating tops/bottoms. Anyways, it can be done and it's also really freeing to not be loaded down with luggage too.

Like others have said, the hardest part isn't CLOTHES but all of the other accessories. I limited myself to tennis shoes (which I wore on the plane), 1 pair of sandals and 1 pair of heels. As someone else in this thread said, buy your products when you land so you don't have to combat the 3oz rule. Other than my face wash and lotion, which I just put into sample size containers at home - Sephora gives the empty containers for free! - I bought my sunblock, lotion, shampoo and conditioner in the port city. I wear my hair as it is naturally when on a cruise to save on blow dryer, straightener, extra products. I laid out all my pre-planned outfits about a week ahead of time (excl. undergarments) to ensure they all looked good together and I was comfortable. One pair of capris can be worn multiple times as long as you have dif. tops. Plus, you can always send them out to be laundered. I didn't even wear all my clothes that I packed in my one carry-on..opps.

Anyways, I'm not a master or anything but from one over-packer to another, I have faith in you! ;):D

For our cruise in June, we are driving to port (so we do not have airline restrictions) but since our cruise this time is short, we are going to do carry on. We have found that we pack less and less each cruise anyway, and we like the idea of carrying our on bags on and off. One suitcase apiece of less than

24" and a carryon each. Plenty of room for what we normally bring. No judgements for those who want to do more. It's all a matter of personal preferences.

For our European trip last year I was determined to only do carryon. I wasn’t certain I could convince my husband (who often wears two clean outfits in one day!) to downsize so much. But, we both did it. I think what convinced my husband was being able to carry our luggage off the ship for an early flight home.

The trip was 22 days – from the US to Paris to Southampton, England to a Celebrity cruise that went around Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Because I knew that we’d be rolling, hoisting, and moving our luggage often (I think I counted it would be 17 times or so), I refused to take more than a carryon and tote. I was so determined that I created a spreadsheet of my planned outfits.

The weather varied greatly. Except for the first day, it was hot and sunny every day in Paris. The fjords were often cold and rainy, and in Iceland we were on a glacier for a short time. So we packed what everyone recommends… layers. What we did not take were formal clothes as we do specialty dining instead (smart casual dress code). I also don’t own any heels, so most of my flats pack quite small.

Also, we took advantage of discounted laundry on the ship. I plan to do the same this year, as this year’s trip will be 27 days (Rhine river cruise/Amsterdam/British Isle ocean cruise). I don’t think I’ll change anything from last year’s clothes list, but I still have a few months to decide.

Not only do I bring too many things on nearly all my trips, I also use too many words to tell my story. Time to learn that less is more in packing and speaking! ;-)

Hubby and I agree to disagree about checking luggage. I don't, he does. Even if you check luggage, wise to carry several changes of underwear, a swimsuit, thin sandals, and a day and evening outfit option. That way, if the luggage is lost, you've got options.

We did a 7-day on Oasis last year and I took a REALLY small suitcase and one tote. The cabin steward was so amazed about the size of my bag that I had to show him how I packed!! My secrets: buy packing cubes (set of 3 diff sizes is about $20 US on Amazon), plan to do laundry midway through, and keep your shoes to a minimum - 1 pair of comfy flip-flops, 1 - 2 pairs dressy flat sandals, and 1 pair of tennis shoes.

I so agree I'm a carry-on only. One pair of black heels one black ballet flats one black flip-flop and wear black tennis shoes. Laundry is also a key point. The longest we have been gone is a month with just a duffel and a backpack.

My husband also used to check luggage while I did carry-on. Until he discovered we are able to share taxis with other couples that carry-on and when we were at a hotel where the elevator didn't work he decided it's much easier to use a carry-on.

Just got off the Constellation and had only a carry on. I was blown away watching people with 6 bags or better. Even if they were B2B, I would have had a carry on. You can wash out undies and have clothing washed if you need to.

We've had lost luggage twice and it's not fun. Both my husband and I own a Miata, so the trunk space is very limited. We are able to get two carry on's in the trunk and we take a small bag with our clothes to sleep in, extra shoes and something to wear for the embarkation. We usually stay with our good friends in Pompano Beach before leaving. I had too many clothes this trip once again. I have a few travel knit things that I dress up with scarves and pashminas. Neutral pants work, few pairs of shorts, blouses, undies and bathing suit. We always have clean items to wear. No one is paying that much attention to what you are wearing.....if they are, they have way too much time on their hands! :D

Hi Sharon:) did you have a good cruise? I just booked Constellation

for next month. I pack differently for a 5 nighter from a week's cruise.

I normally bring a checked bag and a carry on....but for 5 nights

I am bringing a carry on and fairly good sized tote bag:).....

I am flying down to Ft. Lauderdale the day of the cruise....its just over

an hour's flight and gets in about 10:30AM.:D....so I don't even

need an oufit for pre-cruise hotel;)

Anyway, did you enjoy the cruise? I am in a regular balcony. Did ya'll

book AQ? Did you like the ship as much as SUMMIT?

Edited by Lois R

I normally travel with a checked bag and a carry on bag (for cruises that

are 7 nights or longer)....and I usually fly in a day early so that would make the trip 8 nights:D

I am sailing on a 5 night cruise next month and will be bringing my carry on and a mid sized tote bag for this cruise. So I am changing up for the

shorter cruise;)....I live about an hour's flight from Ft. Lauderdale so

I am arriving the morning of my cruise.....I get into FLL about 10:30.

Hi Sharon:) did you have a good cruise? I just booked Constellation

for next month. I pack differently for a 5 nighter from a week's cruise.

I normally bring a checked bag and a carry on....but for 5 nights

I am bringing a carry on and fairly good sized tote bag:).....

I am flying down to Ft. Lauderdale the day of the cruise....its just over

an hour's flight and gets in about 10:30AM.:D....so I don't even

need an oufit for pre-cruise hotel;)

Anyway, did you enjoy the cruise? I am in a regular balcony. Did ya'll

book AQ? Did you like the ship as much as SUMMIT?

Hey Lois....we were in an OV again! Totally awesome! The Martini Bar was rocking everyday at 4:30 when we showed up. I would definitely book the Constellation again. Food was fantastic and we had a wonderful time! Loving the M-class ships! We keep on trying to figure out if we paid for the drink plan or the room! (got the drink plan free!) Our next cruise is 2 January on the Reflection, unless of course something happens to show up between now and then. It's a toss up between the Summit and the Connie right now....we loved Cafe al Bacio on the Summit and the Martini Bar on the Connie. Definitely no regrets other then running into a few rude people....that seems to be expected anymore though!

Have a wonderful time on YOUR cruise! =D

Freeling -- I'm not there yet. We did 11 days land-based eastern Europe with carryons that actually weighed in at 8kg. (~18lb) and sharply defined "personal item", as that's Austrian Air's hand-carry limit. They still made us gate check them on the trans-atlantic leg of trip, but we were OK with that -- it was at LAX where we were glad (and the counter personnel were amazed) that we had only hand-luggage -- when we had to change our flight to an earlier one QUICKLY, it was boarding! when we found out our scheduled plane was going to be delayed by so much we'd have missed our connection at JFK.

For our upcoming 26+2 day Trans-atlantic cruise we are not that restricted to weight. Delta apparently doesn't way carry-on, just goes by size, and British Airways has the same allowance for cabin bags as checked -- 23kg or about 51lb. Which we'll be nowhere near, probably by half!

Our spinner hardshell bags weigh about 7lbs apiece, empty. If (or when) we are looking at more than 2 weeks via an airline like Austrian or LAN with the 18lb limit, I may well be shopping for a new suitcase from IT Luggage (someone mentioned earlier in this thread or one of the other light packing threads) -- their 22" bags start at about 3.5lbs empty!

But, do not writhe in agony! No one will make you do it! It's truly a matter of practice -- many have written that while they are not yet carry-on only, they do take less each time. That's a good start!

Hey Lois....we were in an OV again! Totally awesome! The Martini Bar was rocking everyday at 4:30 when we showed up. I would definitely book the Constellation again. Food was fantastic and we had a wonderful time! Loving the M-class ships! We keep on trying to figure out if we paid for the drink plan or the room! (got the drink plan free!) Our next cruise is 2 January on the Reflection, unless of course something happens to show up between now and then. It's a toss up between the Summit and the Connie right now....we loved Cafe al Bacio on the Summit and the Martini Bar on the Connie. Definitely no regrets other then running into a few rude people....that seems to be expected anymore though!

Have a wonderful time on YOUR cruise! =D

Hi Sharon,:) thanks.......I originally booked a window...but then

I called X back and it was only 80 bucks to get a balcony:D...it was

on a Tuesday special. This was not eligible for the drink package but

I will be fine...there is no Molecular Bar on the M class;)

Lol....for an additional 80 bucks, we would have done the AQ as well! Lovely ship and great crew for sure though. We are hoping to move down there in the next few years to be able to take advantage of more last minute cruises.....not to mention the temp here is 11F this morning....ugh!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re; 6 weeks incl Europe in a carry-on???? Maximum 15lb incl bag weight?

Please put me out of my agony! Tell me it ain't so.

The trick (not much of a trick) for anyone who packs truly light is that you pack for 5-7 days and do laundry. You just wear the same items in various combinations and permutations for the entire trip.

Like this - 13 items for 4 months. Not my style, personally (these items) but if you are disciplined it's entirely doable https://www.pinterest.com/pin/345792077615619683/

As I've said many times on threads like these, it's a mental issue, not a packing issue. If you don't want to do it, don't do it, but if you want to - you'll find you can.

Thanks for responses. The reason I'm extremely interested is that I am flying Melbourne/Lax/Miami (stay 3 days); 13day cruise to Lisbon ; week car touring Portugal with son; fly London, week with family; fly to Spain, week with sister; return to Heathrow and back home.

1) I am 72 and solo

2) I am worried about losing luggage (and hauling it changing at LAX)

3) Travel insurance will not cover bags in locked car.

I'm not sure if BA does my outward flights, which determine my baggage and carry on limits. Will check.

Would appreciate any further input.

Lol....for an additional 80 bucks, we would have done the AQ as well! Lovely ship and great crew for sure though. We are hoping to move down there in the next few years to be able to take advantage of more last minute cruises.....not to mention the temp here is 11F this morning....ugh!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Sharon:) it is just a regular balcony....not AQ....THAT would have

been wayyyy too much:eek:....

Doesn't matter....lol, you will have fun! I'm SOOOOOO ready to go again! :D

Thanks:)....yes, I will:D...and although you said it was 11 degress....

It was about 26 here this morning......high was about 40 with windchills

making it feel like 30.......:eek:

I am definitely ready for the Caribbean too.;)

As I've said many times on threads like these, it's a mental issue, not a packing issue. If you don't want to do it, don't do it, but if you want to - you'll find you can.

@Hoyaheel

Very nicely put! I have not been on your previous threads, so I was happy to read this here.

We are headed on Freedom of the Seas on March 15th sailing and i am seriously considering taking inly carryon luggage, as in one small rolling carryon and a small tote.we will be flyong out of northestern Ontario, staying in Orlando for 3 nights prior to boardi the ship. Part of my reasoning is the cost to check bags,and also, i recently went on a 5 day trip to Cancun, had a delay leaving and didn't get my checked bag until two days after i got home. I have a long history of over-packing but this will be our 6th cruise & i think i hve finally figured out i onky need to take half of ehat i think i will need, lol!! So, how many of you travel only with carryon luggage? I have watched a bumch of youtube videos in the past while and i'm going to do a practice pack this weekend and see if i can do it!!! Some people wek ow just got to mexico yesterday (fliying direct out of their departure city and the airline lost all 3 of their suitcases, ugh!!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated:) thanks!!

Kathy

My cruise leaves the same day as yours, and I am going to try to only bring a rolling carry-on suitcase and a backpack. I did the same itinerary back in 2012 and was able to do it then, so I hope to make it work again this time. Both of my flights involve transferring planes and a short layover, and I am super worried about the airline losing my luggage, so if it is at all possible for me to fit everything into my carry-ons, I want to make it work!

This afternoon, I picked out all my bathing suits, cover ups, and evening wear for each day/night of the trip. I tried to pick thinner fabrics and materials that will roll easily. Rolling your clothes and using packing cubes really helps to keep everything compact and take up less space in the bag. I don't plan to re-wear anything (except my shoes, of course!), so fingers crossed that I can make it all fit :)

Good luck packing, and come back to let us know if you were able to fit everything you wanted to pack!

I just tried and failed! Leaving on a cruise on 3/8. I put all my cruise wear on the bed and just tried to fit it into a carry on. No way! I failed, I need one med. size luggage and one carry on to do the job. May next time.:)

That's because you're doing it the wrong way around - don't choose a bag to fit your clothes, choose what clothes you pack to fit your bag.