Most magical moment on the Grandeur of the Seas?

DW and I were enjoying live music in the Centrum when I looked up and saw three young men, fellow cruisers, dancing in the moving glass elevator. They were doing a choreographed routine, in time with the beat and it was quite spontaneous.

Very cool. :cool:

Looking forward to more moments come April!

Edited by Philly Steve

Love this question...January 1997...

...GOS was just launched a few months prior. My wife & I had never been on a cruise, in fact had never entertained the idea. We had 3 very young kids & barely two pennies to rub together. We were invited on a cruise with friends & had never taken a vacation without the kids in 12 years of marriage. So we worked our tales off for a year to pay for it and the moment we walked up the gangplank & into the Centrium, as cliché as it sounds...WOW! Our breath was taken away. I will never forget that moment.

Fortunately the money got better as we got older & we were able to take our kids while they were still young. Now my wife and I take our kids and grandchildren, a real blessing. One of my best memories still remains eating in the Windjammer of Grandeur with one of our daughters when she was around 10. Its Forward on GOS and we loved facing the sea at sunrise as we ate. She & I would wake early, sneak out of the room, and eat together. She loved the breakfast range rolls :) We'd watch the ocean and just talk....a lifetime memory made.

OP...as I said, I loved your question, hope you can see why.

Onthewater51, your responce of the memories of you and your daughter having breakfast gave me the chills and remenis of good times had on vacations with my kids.

Eagle4413..thank you so much, I appreciate that. Ironically not 5 minutes after I posted that, she called me. She now lives 1100 miles away from us in Texas with her husband but calls me every morning & evening :) I asked her about that trip to see what she remembered and she immediately replied ..."the range rolls!" That made my day :)

You are right, the memories are so special. Not to stray off topic, its why I don't sweat the little stuff that upset some folks. For us, its not about towel animals & pillow chocolate's to make the memories.

Safe & Happy Travels....

Eagle4413..thank you so much, I appreciate that. Ironically not 5 minutes after I posted that, she called me. She now lives 1100 miles away from us in Texas with her husband but calls me every morning & evening :) I asked her about that trip to see what she remembered and she immediately replied ..."the range rolls!" That made my day :)

You are right, the memories are so special. Not to stray off topic, its why I don't sweat the little stuff that upset some folks. For us, its not about towel animals & pillow chocolate's to make the memories.

Safe & Happy Travels....

Onthewater51, that was the reason I posted the question. I guess as you grow older, you discover what's really important in life... those little glimpses and special instances that take your breath away, and conjure up the most serene images of bliss years later.

And when you've had rough roads along the way, as we probably all had, you appreciate those moments even more. So, it is with utter delight that I put the past behind me in that virtual life backpack, and I celebrate the honeymoon with the new man of my dreams -- both widowers after losing our spouses to cancer.

Ironically, I write and speak for a living, and teach a "How to Have a Happy Life" course. One of the things I say in my seminar -- when people discuss their hobbies, and things they collect -- "I collect MEMORIES, not THINGS." It's all about living each day to the fullest, seeing the good in the littlest things, and loving each other deeply and passionately. The best treasures in life are found in the people around us, if we only look and celebrate them.

I am thrilled you got to relive that memory with your daughter. May you continue to find many pleasures in making new memories. Be well and happy!

Mary Ellen

Lots of magical moments on Grandeur for us. In 2006 we were aboard her for the first time, and went to the Viking Crown after dinner, hoping to do some dancing. We asked DJ Dan for a Merengue, which he promptly played. Thereafter, every time we went there, we were greeted by a great Merengue (or three).

Now I have to ask: What are range rolls? I have to get some on our April Grandeur cruise.

Good ship.

One of the most breathtaking things for me is the aerial show. You will love it.

Sappy moment:

Our last cruise was on Grandeur and my mom and two daughters where on the pool deck. I had just gotten my oldest into the whirlpool (she is a paraplegic and RCCI has a lift) and sat down. She had ordered me a drink and said sit down and relax.

So as we were sitting she said, Dori, you did good. I said what are you talking about? She said that never in her wildest dreams would she had been able to do this for my brother and I. I told her I loved the vacations we did take and to shut up.

Glad I had my sunglasses on.

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009

Onthewater51, that was the reason I posted the question. I guess as you grow older, you discover what's really important in life... those little glimpses and special instances that take your breath away, and conjure up the most serene images of bliss years later.

And when you've had rough roads along the way, as we probably all had, you appreciate those moments even more. So, it is with utter delight that I put the past behind me in that virtual life backpack, and I celebrate the honeymoon with the new man of my dreams -- both widowers after losing our spouses to cancer.

Ironically, I write and speak for a living, and teach a "How to Have a Happy Life" course. One of the things I say in my seminar -- when people discuss their hobbies, and things they collect -- "I collect MEMORIES, not THINGS." It's all about living each day to the fullest, seeing the good in the littlest things, and loving each other deeply and passionately. The best treasures in life are found in the people around us, if we only look and celebrate them.

I am thrilled you got to relive that memory with your daughter. May you continue to find many pleasures in making new memories. Be well and happy!

Mary Ellen

I couldn't agree more, and beautifully said. I'm glad you found someone to enjoy the good things in life.

And SHIPGEEK....to your question...

Range Rolls are nothing more then cheapo rolls about 2"x2". :) ..that's just what RCCL called them and my daughter loved them. I never found them by the same name after that, but they are basically just dinner rolls :)

We talked about doing a cruise to Bermuda for years. Kept putting it off because other travel opportunities would present itself, and since we live in suburban Baltimore, we always said, "Oh we'll do it one of these days." We finally did it in Aug. '13, and I remember when we got on the ship, I was so thrilled and so excited, and said to myself, OMGosh, an hour ago I was in my house, and here I am now on this beautiful ship embarking on a wonderful cruise to Bermuda! It was a great moment. BTW, we had a fabulous cruise, and loved every minute of it!

Mary Ellen

Our first cruise was on RCCL Song of Norway. It was our honeymoon 31 years ago. We thought we would take the "once in a lifetime" vacation for our honeymoon. That cruise cost $1500 a person, and that was a lot of money back in 1984. We have taken at least one cruise a year ( now, 2 and 3 a year) since then, and in many, many ways, cruises have shaped our life together.

On January 6, we just took our first cruise on the Grandeur out of Baltimore.

We had not been on an RCI cruise in at least 10 years, having recently been taking the higher end cruise lines cruises. We were amazed by how much we enjoyed being on the Grandeur. We are pretty jaded, but when I walked onto the ship and saw the floor to ceiling windows EVERYWHERE, I was astounded. Great views from practically every public room on the ship. To be honest, to narrow down our recent cruise to ONE moment would be quite difficult.

I agree."Collect MEMORIES, not THINGS."

We now take literally hundreds of photos on every vacation we take.Every New Years Day, we look through the memories of 31 years.

Here is our youtube video of our Grandeur trip. Lots of good memories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27VdbjIwdl4

Edited by jimandtoni

Safe & Happy Travels....

Awesome memories.

I've sailed the Grandeur twice and will be going again in May.

One of my fond memories is from 1998. My Mother had just passed away and I was just feeling so lost with both of my parents gone. I wanted to just get away and a cruise was the perfect way for a single lady to go. I booked the Grandeur and was 'adopted' by a large group of couples before we even got on the ship. At dinner I was seated at a large table with 2 couples and a family of 3 from Norway. The family also 'adopted' me and we still keep in touch by email and Facebook. It was so nice that virtual strangers cared so much and became friends.

That's what I like about cruising.

Edited by jebl

Like so many others, I had wanted to cruise forever. I am enamored with the sea. I love ships and the ocean. My wife balked due to fear of seasickness. Finally in 1998 she came up with a cruise with our kids as our oldest was a junior in college and our youngest just graduate from high school. So we "blew the wad" and booked 2 inside cabins on the incredible Grandeur of the Seas. When we walked into the Centrum at boarding...WOW! It was more remarkable than I ever dreamed. It was the best cruise ever! But the crowning moment for me, my wife and kids gave me a "collage" frame with cruise photos of us and told me that it was the greatest time of their lives. I still look at those slightly fading photos in that frame on the wall. It was the "greatest time" of my life! After 27 cruises, the first on Grandeur will remain with me forever.

2010 took my retired mother on her first cruise (only my 2nd) and we had a mother/son trip of a lifetime. She couldn't get over how "big" the ship was until we docked next to the Indy! LOL. :)

OntheWater and Papa...so glad to hear your stories of kids trips/memories. In March we are going on Liberty of the Seas with our 4 kiddos ages 7-17 and it's costing a fortune...but I'm committed because I with our oldest off to college soon and two teenagers, the time where we will have them all together and at the ages where they still love being together with us, well they will be on to their own lives soon, and while that's absolutely what we want as parents...I want to cherish these times so we can look back on decades of memories like one poster mentioned! Hope Liberty lives up to Grandeur!!!

Thank you Grandeur!!!

On July 24, 2013, my now husband proposed to me on the balcony of our junior suite on the Grandeur. We had just gotten some formal photos taken prior to returning to our cabin. After the engagement, we went back to the same photographer in the same spot and had new photos taken while I was wearing the ring...and a big smile!

2010 took my retired mother on her first cruise (only my 2nd) and we had a mother/son trip of a lifetime. She couldn't get over how "big" the ship was until we docked next to the Indy! LOL. :)

OntheWater and Papa...so glad to hear your stories of kids trips/memories. In March we are going on Liberty of the Seas with our 4 kiddos ages 7-17 and it's costing a fortune...but I'm committed because I with our oldest off to college soon and two teenagers, the time where we will have them all together and at the ages where they still love being together with us, well they will be on to their own lives soon, and while that's absolutely what we want as parents...I want to cherish these times so we can look back on decades of memories like one poster mentioned! Hope Liberty lives up to Grandeur!!!

Thank you Grandeur!!!

Twovacation....thank you. I also agree on your view that the Grandeur is big, I still see her that way but get a grin out of folks who call it a small ship :)

And MochaJava....you and your family are about to have the time of your lives...have a wonderful & safe trip.

Cruised with my 2 granddaughers 2 years ago. Eight year old loved the formal nights and having her picture taken. She loved the Adventure Camp. Going again with them on the Grandeau March 31st. The youngest one is 4, so I'll make some fantastic memories with her this time.

On our first cruise ever, March 2005, I decided to participate in the Belly Flop contest. Much to my surprise, and even more so for my wife, I won. This was on the 5 day of the cruise and for the rest of the cruise, I was treated like royalty. We will be sailing on the Grandeur again the end of November and at this time I am planning on competing again.

It is quite the production. It seems as if everyone on the ship is watching.:cool:

My beautiful wife and I were on Grandeur on 2005 with our family and a few friends. On our way to dinner one night, we stopped in one of the shops and I was struck by a beautiful piece of jewelry in the windows - a bracelet of aquamarine, diamonds and gold that simply spoke "Caribbean" to me. On a whim I told my bride to try it on, while the salesman discretely told me the price, far more than I'd ever spend on an impulse purchase. My wife - ever practical (and knowing me as well) started to take it off when I stopped her. Perhaps it was the mood, or the ship, (or the afternoon of drinks by the pool), but I told the gentleman it was just too beautiful on her to take off. And I purchased it for her. I've bought her dozens of pieced of jewelry in 30 years but without a doubt, that's right up there as a favorite.

2 days later the Grandeur hit the pier while trying to dock in Costa Maya, tearing 20 foot by 6 foot hole in her side just above the water line, and extending our cruise another 3 days! But that's another story... :)