CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Yes, I-95 is basically a straight shot over the GWB and on to the Jersey Turnpike. But we have done this 1,000 times since my DH is a Jets Fan, so we are use to it.

Having said that since you are coming from Waterbury is a different story. You are right you could take the 84 to 684 to the Saw Mill to get to the GWB over to New Jersey and then pick up the New Jersey Turnpike. Or you could take route 8 all way down to pick up I-95. All depends on which you are most comfortable with.

How far is it from the GWB to the port? Time-wise I mean.

We are half an hour north of Waterbury, so I figure 2 and a half to 3 hours from the port, which makes me want to get closer the night before. Hotel in Stamford? Or would we have have to take out a second mortgage?

This is why I was thinking of staying north, going over the Tappen Zee, staying the night then heading straight south.

Also - re: bridges - I don't remember - is the GWB (or the others) steep? high? see through? (steel grid instead of paved) narrow? All four is BAD...

borh of you thank you very much for your quick reply. I will contact carmellino limo's. They have a good price. And we defenitely won't leave the ship too early, thanks to you. Our hotel is near Herald Square. I found out hotels are very expensive at that time. A view years ago we almost could stay four nights for the same price we have to pay now for two nights. Will there be a special event in New York than?

Do you know if there are good and reasobabke princed hotels in Brooklyn / Brooklyn Heights or Queens in a safe neighbourhood and with good connection to Manhattan? Thanks again. Joyce

Well, there are hotels and motels are over NYC, depending on your budget & what's important to you, and your plans to sightseeing. NJH suggested taking a look at Jersey City area, across the Hudson River via the PATH train and/or NJ Transit train, etc. With 4 of you traveling, please factor in the cost of going back & forth at least once a day (if not twice) back to the hotel - to just sleep, change & store luggage so needing just clean/safe & comfortable beds, etc.

There really isn't much hotel in Brooklyn, except the ones "near" the Brooklyn cruise terminal at Red Hook, an industrial & working class neighborhood that's not very public transportation friendly, to recommended, IMO - these are chains generally rated at 2 or 2.5 stars only, Days Inn, Comfort Inn, Best Western or similar level. Even if you're to stay in Jersey City, you will be doing some walking, transfering trains and once in NYC, taking the subways and/or buses to see other parts of Manhattan (the city, for tourists)

As such, there are similar ones like those in Brooklyn in Queens, just across the East River in Long Island City - just 1 stop from east side of Manhattan island, some are 4 to 6 stops via subway trains (depending on the lines taken) - basically same no-frills hotels & generally acceptable for short stay.

The UN General Assembly starts on Sept. 15th. (duh = high rates in general) while the U.S. Tennis Open (annual event) is just ending on Sept. 13th in Queens, but the "Fashion Week" give another reason for hotels to charge high rates, not to mention it's a busy time for the Fall/New England cruises with many ships coming to/from NY's 3 terminals.

Use Hotwires and/or Priceline to checkout any deals in the Long Island City area - everything is around $200 per night + taxes/fees, the nicer ones are closer to $300 so not much saving vs. midtown Manhattan/Herald Square area, unless you are paying closer to the $400 USD nightly rates for those 2 weekday nights ?? And, if so - I would reluctantly - recommend consider the Hyatt Place, further out in downtown Flushing, Queens - it's about 45 minutes via the #7 subway train to midtown Manhattan, it's 3 stars rated & only about a year old, it's very nice as I've been inside to explore & check it out in case we get "visitors" - just 1.5 block from the subway & in a very busy & active section of NY's 2nd. Chinatown - lots of inexpensive food choices, plus there is Skyview Mall retail complex a block away. The rack rate quoted is $208 per night + taxes & fees, it has a small pool & cafe/restaurant on sight, and a rooftop bar. It is sort of OUT of the way for the average tourists coming to NYC with midtown Manhattan as the focal point. Sheraton LaGuardia East is about $250 nightly and there's a Ramada Express for about $150 nightly, a little further in walking by 2 short city block - but all within the downtown Flushing area. The Parc Hotel is not available while avoid booking other names like Best Western, Comfort/Quality Inn or alike in this area.

Also, which airport are your flying home/onward to after your 2 days stay in NYC, as that should be factored in for looking the overall costs of your stay in the city - EWR or JFK , and, departure/checking in time, with luggage ??

How far is it from the GWB to the port? Time-wise I mean.

We are half an hour north of Waterbury, so I figure 2 and a half to 3 hours from the port, which makes me want to get closer the night before. Hotel in Stamford? Or would we have have to take out a second mortgage?

This is why I was thinking of staying north, going over the Tappen Zee, staying the night then heading straight south.

Also - re: bridges - I don't remember - is the GWB (or the others) steep? high? see through? (steel grid instead of paved) narrow? All four is BAD...

Hotels in Stamford on a Saturday night should be affordable. You could also stay in Norwalk, CT which is just 5-10 minutes north of Stamford. Personally, I would just get up early on Sunday - which is going to be the better traffic day - and leave your house at 8 AM. You should be at the pier at 11:00 AM the latest.

The Port itself is about 30-35 minutes right after you get off the bridge. There are two levels to the GWB, The upper and the lower. Their are pluses and minuses to both. The lower is more narrow lanes, dark almost like a tunnel, but no trucks are allowed only cars. The upper level is nicer, less claustrophobic and prettier. Unless of course it's raining or foggy out - take the lower level.

Hope this helps a bit.

What is the cheapest way to get to port liberty from NYC? Plan is to take metro north to grand central then what? Path to jersey? The to port?

Or what?

Lifelong northern NYC suburbs dwellers and know NYC very well but for this trip looking for the least expensive way to get my 25 yo and her friend to port liberty.

I guess I could drop them off but they are very self sufficient and are used to making their way via public transport in large cities as grad students. They will figure it out of course but I would actually like to know for myself too as we would like to cruise from there someday too

Tia

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Aloha Tia :D,

According to Carol (138east) who is currently on a cruise, the least expensive way is to use the PATH from NYC to NJ and then use the light rail in NJ to the 34th street light rail station in Bayonne. Then catch a taxi from the station to the Cape Liberty cruise port.

Total cost should be less than $25 for 2 people. Carol says that the NJ light rail and the PATH should have more room than MTA in NYC.

My wife and I (senior citizens) are going to explore the reverse of this route to go from Cape Liberty cruise port into NYC for our 2 night stay in Manhattan before returning to Hawaii. :D

If you search for postings by Carol (138east), you can find her original recommendations & instructions.

Aloha & good luck :D

Hey all,

Here we go again!!

Since the previous thread was soooo long, I am starting anew!

Feel free to ask your Cape Liberty and even NYC questions here!

Now that we have Quantum, and soon Liberty and then Anthem, not to mention Summit for a while, and a couple stops by Serenade, things should remain busy!!

Hi, we're cruising out of bayonne july 5, and driving to the port. where is the best place to park the car, value wise? thanks in advance!

MAtravelbug

Hi. We are traveling from southern NH to cape Liberty and are thinking about driving straight thru leaving early in the am. Could someone please tell me if I95 to GWB or 84 to 684 to sawmill parkway would be the direct (easiest) route. We would be driving very early on a Thursday morning. Thanks in advance!

Hi, we're cruising out of bayonne july 5, and driving to the port. where is the best place to park the car, value wise? thanks in advance!

MAtravelbug

Parking at the port is $19 per day. We recommend you park there. The one alternative off site lot appears to be a questionable operation, and I wouldn't risk putting my car there to save a few dollars.

I've been reading so much I can't remember where I read this, but I'd like some clarification.

Someone posted that rather then dropping luggage and then parking, to park first and walk the luggage back to the luggage tent and then proceed to the ship.

Has anyone done this?

I've been reading so much I can't remember where I read this, but I'd like some clarification.

Someone posted that rather then dropping luggage and then parking, to park first and walk the luggage back to the luggage tent and then proceed to the ship.

Has anyone done this?

I'm on the Liberty now. I parked first. You had two choices - wait for a shuttle bus or walk. Both choices were easy.i I wanted to see how the parking was working, so I waited for the shuttle bus. There really is no more luggage tent. However the drop off area was a zoo.

Bottom line, if the weather is bad or too cold, I'd drop as much stuff and people off as possible. One person on foot without luggage can make it quickly back to the terminal. Otherwise it may be much simpler to just bypass the terminal chaos and just park.

Hi. We are traveling from southern NH to cape Liberty and are thinking about driving straight thru leaving early in the am. Could someone please tell me if I95 to GWB or 84 to 684 to sawmill parkway would be the direct (easiest) route. We would be driving very early on a Thursday morning. Thanks in advance!

On a weekday morning you do not want to hit the CT/NY line until 9 am because of the rush hour traffic. Your major traffic bottleneck will be Hartford, and a second possible bottleneck will be Worcester which is usually just very busy. Portions of the Merritt can be busy as well, but they should not be doing any road work before 9 am. At Hartford you can take the limited access Silver Lane if you are 2 or more people. Be sure to take the Charter Oak Brudge from I84 in Hartford.

What time were you going to leave?

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1). You This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Thank you so much Carol! We will use these directions. We were thinking we might leave around 4 a.m. ( better to sit at the port than the highway) what's your thoughts on that? Our other option is to drive Wed. And stay a little out. Could you recommend a hotel on our route no more than an hour away. Thanks so much for your info!

Thank you so much Carol! We will use these directions. We were thinking we might leave around 4 a.m. ( better to sit at the port than the highway) what's your thoughts on that? Our other option is to drive Wed. And stay a little out. Could you recommend a hotel on our route no more than an hour away. Thanks so much for your info!

Several questions. What is your sail date? Where in NH are you coming from?

I think 4 am is too early. You will hit the height of the NYC rush hour.

Sailing in October and June (2016) both on thurs out of cape liberty. Thinking more about the drive down on wed if we find a hotel about an hr out. We are in southern nh about ten mins to catch 495 from 93. Could you suggest hotels that might be an hr out. Thanks so much!

Sailing in October and June (2016) both on thurs out of cape liberty. Thinking more about the drive down on wed if we find a hotel about an hr out. We are in southern nh about ten mins to catch 495 from 93. Could you suggest hotels that might be an hr out. Thanks so much!

Look at Stamford and Norwalk. Rye Courtyard is an easy on easy off of I95. If you give me dates I will look at Hotwire. We usually Hotwire a room in Stamford for family gatherings in the area, but I'm not too sure about rates on a Wed night. Folks have also been staying at Comfort Inn in Edgewater NJ, which is a lot closer to the port.

You're scheduled to be in NY during the United Nations General Assembly meeting and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, so this is a a time of the year when hotel rooms are hard to come by and prices are high.

You may want to look at hotels in Jersey City rather than staying in NY. There's excellent transportation from there into Manhattan via the PATH train.

Thank you very much for your answer. I will looking for hotels in Jersey city.

Well, there are hotels and motels are over NYC, depending on your budget & what's important to you, and your plans to sightseeing. NJH suggested taking a look at Jersey City area, across the Hudson River via the PATH train and/or NJ Transit train, etc. With 4 of you traveling, please factor in the cost of going back & forth at least once a day (if not twice) back to the hotel - to just sleep, change & store luggage so needing just clean/safe & comfortable beds, etc.

There really isn't much hotel in Brooklyn, except the ones "near" the Brooklyn cruise terminal at Red Hook, an industrial & working class neighborhood that's not very public transportation friendly, to recommended, IMO - these are chains generally rated at 2 or 2.5 stars only, Days Inn, Comfort Inn, Best Western or similar level. Even if you're to stay in Jersey City, you will be doing some walking, transfering trains and once in NYC, taking the subways and/or buses to see other parts of Manhattan (the city, for tourists)

As such, there are similar ones like those in Brooklyn in Queens, just across the East River in Long Island City - just 1 stop from east side of Manhattan island, some are 4 to 6 stops via subway trains (depending on the lines taken) - basically same no-frills hotels & generally acceptable for short stay.

The UN General Assembly starts on Sept. 15th. (duh = high rates in general) while the U.S. Tennis Open (annual event) is just ending on Sept. 13th in Queens, but the "Fashion Week" give another reason for hotels to charge high rates, not to mention it's a busy time for the Fall/New England cruises with many ships coming to/from NY's 3 terminals.

Use Hotwires and/or Priceline to checkout any deals in the Long Island City area - everything is around $200 per night + taxes/fees, the nicer ones are closer to $300 so not much saving vs. midtown Manhattan/Herald Square area, unless you are paying closer to the $400 USD nightly rates for those 2 weekday nights ?? And, if so - I would reluctantly - recommend consider the Hyatt Place, further out in downtown Flushing, Queens - it's about 45 minutes via the #7 subway train to midtown Manhattan, it's 3 stars rated & only about a year old, it's very nice as I've been inside to explore & check it out in case we get "visitors" - just 1.5 block from the subway & in a very busy & active section of NY's 2nd. Chinatown - lots of inexpensive food choices, plus there is Skyview Mall retail complex a block away. The rack rate quoted is $208 per night + taxes & fees, it has a small pool & cafe/restaurant on sight, and a rooftop bar. It is sort of OUT of the way for the average tourists coming to NYC with midtown Manhattan as the focal point. Sheraton LaGuardia East is about $250 nightly and there's a Ramada Express for about $150 nightly, a little further in walking by 2 short city block - but all within the downtown Flushing area. The Parc Hotel is not available while avoid booking other names like Best Western, Comfort/Quality Inn or alike in this area.

Also, which airport are your flying home/onward to after your 2 days stay in NYC, as that should be factored in for looking the overall costs of your stay in the city - EWR or JFK , and, departure/checking in time, with luggage ??

Thank you very much for all your efforts. It seems that the hotel (with free cancellation) I booked last year has a really good price considering all the prices you gave me. Also hotels in Jersey City aren't much cheaper.

Our flight back home is from JFK.

Just back from Liberty of the Seas - parked at Cape Liberty - it was super easy. We just parked and walked our bags over ( we only had 2 bags ). We had stayed the night before at the Embassy Suites by the Newark Airport - Left Saturday at 9:30 for the port and followed Carol's directions. Easy as could be - we were parked at the port by 9:45. Carol - Thank you again for the great directions they are excellent!!!!!!! I would do the same thing again the next time we cruise from Cape Liberty.

Just back from Liberty of the Seas - parked at Cape Liberty - it was super easy. We just parked and walked our bags over ( we only had 2 bags ). We had stayed the night before at the Embassy Suites by the Newark Airport - Left Saturday at 9:30 for the port and followed Carol's directions. Easy as could be - we were parked at the port by 9:45. Carol - Thank you again for the great directions they are excellent!!!!!!! I would do the same thing again the next time we cruise from Cape Liberty.

I am also just back from Cape Liberty. Getting there was as easy as could be, but.......I just walked in the house from the cruise. Long story. Too tired to tell it now. More tomorrow.

Simple problem. Happy ending. But lots of time trashed. Flat tire in the Cape Liberty parking lot on my 2014 certified preowned car. Called AAA at 8:30 and they came at 11:30. My car has a temporary spare not designed for over 50 mph or for over the road to Boston.

So I had the grand tour of Bayonne and Jersey City to find a place to repair the tire. Didn't have an appointment so waited 3 hours at the Dodge dealer. Got back on the road at 3:30 to experience the joys of a New York rush "hour". Finally got home at 8:45 pm.

Just relaxed and put myself in slo mo and read my book all day. What was interesting was that AAA had numerous flat tire calls for Cape Liberty and the guy said they always get calls whenever a ship docks. My tire had a clear nail puncture.

So now we can all worry about getting flat tires at CL. The road and the parking lot are in rough shape.

Carol, sorry you had to go through all of that. If I remember, I'll make a list of shops near the port that can take care of this type of problem and put it in the glove box before our cruise. I'll also include dealers to take care of more complex issues. Glad you're home safe. Rob

P.S. Great thinking to not drive long distance or at high speed with a temporary spare.

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

So now we can all worry about getting flat tires at CL. The road and the parking lot are in rough shape.

So sorry to hear this, especially since we plan on two more cruise out of there this year. Where was the car parked, they have a few different spots they put them.

Carol' date=' sorry you had to go through all of that. If I remember, I'll make a list of shops near the port that can take care of this type of problem and put it in the glove box before our cruise. I'll also include dealers to take care of more complex issues. Glad you're home safe. Rob

P.S. Great thinking to not drive long distance or at high speed with a temporary spare.[/quote']

That's a great idea. Perhaps Bayonne Joe will read this and offer some suggestions. For all the driving I've done between Mass and NJ, I've been lucky to never have had a bad problem. AAA did what they promised to do - change the tire, so that issue was solved. I just didn't know where to go to get a tire repaired quickly. I had the grand tour through northwest Bayonne into Jersey City. Not visually the most comfortable place to roam the streets. But folks were nice and it all worked out in the end.