laundry in cabin

rahrah50

Here's a quick tip so you don't have sopping wet items to deal with and very slow drying. You can also do this with swimsuits to help them dry faster after swimming.

After washing the item and wringing out as much water as you easily can, lay a towel down on the floor (can be one you previously used as long as it isn't super damp, or sometimes I grab a pool towel). Lay the item down on the towel and fold the towel and item up a few times with the towel around the item. Then jump up and down, or at least walk around on the towel/item for a while. This forces the water out of the item and into the towel.

You can unfold the towel and re-fold your item within the towel so as to use any remaining dry areas of the towel against your item.

After this the item is usually much easier to deal with because it is almost dry. I'll often hang things on hangers in the closet to finish drying, or on the various wall hooks.

And/Or..........wring out bathing suit. Place a folded dry towel on the floor of the closet nearest the door. Hang the suit on the lower rack over the towel. (The air flow is greatest near the door because air comes in from underneath the door, and flows into the closet.) This works well in ocean view and inside cabins.

Edited by pcur

Here's a quick tip so you don't have sopping wet items to deal with and very slow drying. You can also do this with swimsuits to help them dry faster after swimming.

After washing the item and wringing out as much water as you easily can, lay a towel down on the floor (can be one you previously used as long as it isn't super damp, or sometimes I grab a pool towel). Lay the item down on the towel and fold the towel and item up a few times with the towel around the item. Then jump up and down, or at least walk around on the towel/item for a while. This forces the water out of the item and into the towel.

You can unfold the towel and re-fold your item within the towel so as to use any remaining dry areas of the towel against your item.

After this the item is usually much easier to deal with because it is almost dry. I'll often hang things on hangers in the closet to finish drying, or on the various wall hooks.

That is my method too. We are Elite + so have a very generous laundry allowance that we never use in its entirety, but there are some items I don't want to send to the ship's laundry. I don't want delicate items going into a hot dryer, so I wash them by hand. We have a 28 day B2B coming up so will definitely be reusing most of our clothes and I am not too proud to spend a little time hand washing.

Sheila

It is less about things blowing off the ship, as burning material blowing onto the balcony and starting a fire. This is a real hazard and if I recall correctly, a ship had a fire within the last couple of years, started by this same combination of laundry and a discarded cigarette.

You're talking about the Star Princess fire 2005. The fire was caused by a cigarette or cigar butt thrown onto the matting on a balcony which smoldered and caught fire. Not laundry. The cause of the fire was the cigarette/cigar butt not laundry.

We just got off the Constellation a few weeks ago - sailed with our two young kids. We were in an aft family balcony, so we had a hillbilly clothesline strung between two chairs and I used diaper pins to secure the items. Because of our balcony location, they were very safe there - out of the wind and not visible. They dried perfectly overnight and were ready for wear the next day. When there's a family of 4 with 4 bathingsuits/coverups etc., the shower laundry line just doesn't cut it.

You're talking about the Star Princess fire 2005. The fire was caused by a cigarette or cigar butt thrown onto the matting on a balcony which smoldered and caught fire. Not laundry. The cause of the fire was the cigarette/cigar butt not laundry.

For me it doesn't matter why the rule is there or what caused the fire back in 2005. The rules of (most if not all) cruise lines are that laundry is not to be left unattended on the balcony.

As I posted before I try to buy a bucket before I board. This lets me wash delicates on the shower floor instead of in the tiny sink. This got me thinking so I googled collapsible buckets. Found lots online and bought a collapsible dishpan thingy. Holds 10 liters and weighs less than a pound. So now I will have this for all my cruises. Also, yes I do have too much time on my hands. But I love to be organized:-)

This collapsible tub works great for handwashing laundry in a small area. Sometimes those cabin sinks are just too small and the faucet is always in the way! This folds down to 14.9x12.4x1.8 inches and weighs only 13oz. It fits easily in the bottom of a suitcase. I purchased mine on Amazon, but I see they are also available at Bed Bath & Beyond and the Container Store. About $15-$17

Nancy ;)

455843272_CollapsibleTub2.jpg.193b2d516d26793da98df70b8ede0846.jpg

1838104330_CollapsibleTub.jpg.9bfd05fa59c6c48c27871e74d88ec61c.jpg

This collapsible tub works great for handwashing laundry in a small area. Sometimes those cabin sinks are just too small and the faucet is always in the way! This folds down to 14.9x12.4x1.8 inches and weighs only 13oz. It fits easily in the bottom of a suitcase. I purchased mine on Amazon, but I see they are also available at Bed Bath & Beyond and the Container Store. About $15-$17

Nancy ;)

[ATTACH]340727[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]340728[/ATTACH]

Go big! Bring a hand cranked washing machine! :D

tumblr_mfnocnZ0yP1qzvlvjo1_500.jpg

Or ask the crew to borrow one of these!

3f935390f08d35db718a97f55a4dad09.jpg

fullload.gif

Edited by A Sixth?

Really. I never thought I would see the day where people would take a luxurious cruise and have this much discussion about bringing buckets on board to do their laundry. It's quite amazing. Good for a laugh anyway.

It's not an issue for a 7 or 14 day cruise, but when you are on a ship for 3 - 6 weeks, then it helps to do some hand laundry. It's like being in a hotel for that long without a self-serve laundry.

Then, there's haircuts!!! I went online and found someone within walking distance of the Sydney dock that didn't charge $200. Wonderful lady, $40AUD, and the best haircut I've ever had.

When you travel for a month or more, it's a whole different dynamic that a shorter vacation.

It's not an issue for a 7 or 14 day cruise, but when you are on a ship for 3 - 6 weeks, then it helps to do some hand laundry. It's like being in a hotel for that long without a self-serve laundry.

Then, there's haircuts!!! I went online and found someone within walking distance of the Sydney dock that didn't charge $200. Wonderful lady, $40AUD, and the best haircut I've ever had.

When you travel for a month or more, it's a whole different dynamic that a shorter vacation.

All kidding aside we travel in excess of a couple of weeks all the time and a sink swish for delicates is a wifey must.

As far as hair cuts go there are many options :rolleyes::p

P30611211-700x525.jpg

I have been to the Container Store and purchased my hanger with 12 clothespins. Should be just perfect for what I need. Thanks for that information.

Little did I know, when I asked about somewhere to hang my travel clothesline, that it would generate this much traffic!!!

8 widows will be on Silhouette in May for the Baltic cruise. We have our SPB tours booked, economy comfort seats on our flights booked, hotel in Amsterdam, and I think we are ready to go!!!!

We are all so excited about the ports on this cruise......

You guys are too funny!!! At least I'm not the only one who thinks this is important:D I am going to sneak my little washtub in the suitcase and watch my husband's reaction when I wash clothes. He thinks I'm nuts to begin with. This is another action to convince him he's right!

Well, I'm not going so far as to bring my own washtub -- but, I will admit to having used my sky suite bath tub to rinse out bathing suits. I literally could not get two suits into that tiny bird-bath of a sink, to rinse the chlorine out of them! :rolleyes: For all of the hype, IMHO -- the Solstice Class cabins are the most poorly designed of any RC or X ship that I've ever sailed in! :mad:

ACK!!! I'm going to have to stop reading this thread, it is make me nuts! :eek:

It makes me think of this woman doctor, married to a doctor, that I knew years ago. She only worked Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I asked her what she did on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She said on Tuesdays she did her personal correspondence, paid bills, etc. Okay.

Thursdays were reserved for doing her hand laundry. :confused:

I was also married to a doctor at the time, had three little kids, and worked full time. The idea of someone taking an entire day of the week to do their hand laundry made me crazy--no wonder this thread is getting to me!!! I guess I don't have nice enough clothes. . .

I'll just be sending mine out and when the free coupons run out I'll spring for the $40 to have someone else wash, dry and fold my clothes while I am on vacation!!!

Just to be clear - I only wash my compression knee highs and undies!!!! Everything else goes to the ship's laundry!!!!

That is pretty much what I do. I also have a couple of very nice tops that I hand wash, even at home. Despite all the posts about how carefully the ship's laundry treats your clothes (and I have my doubts about that), they put EVERYTHING in the dryer. I don't mind them washing most of my things, but I have a real issue with them going in the dryer.

Besides it is faster than the 24 hour turn around time for the laundry. If I am running low, I wash it and hang it to dry.

it was boiling hot for Greek Isles cruise. Bottom line, for 2 days, our cabin looked like a commercial laundry- I had clothes hanging every where to dry. I can't use the ship's laundry as I can only use hyper alergenic suds, and we hang dry most of our clothes. (lack of self service laundry on Celebrity is very annoying)---

Our room steward had a good chuckle- he understood, we were not just being cheap regarding ship's laundry. Anyway, I had no problem using the bathroom sink, and hand wash hyper allergenic suds-- had Rick Steve's clothing lines- worked great-- used strings, shoe laces anything that I could -- hangers by closet as well. We had enough clean clothes for the first 4-5 days. Then we washed everything in the sink- took 2 days to dry-(Had two days worth of clothes during the wash/dry days) then we had just enough clean clothes to get us through until end of cruise--

In the future I will only use Celebrity for a 7 day cruise, or a longer one if there is one port that I can just use the morning at a laundramatt--

I am going on my second Celebrity cruise to New Zealand. First one was just five days. I gather that Celebrity ships have no do it yourself laundries. Now I see no clotheslines. I don't like to send my stuff out. Their system needs help.