Hopefully "Live" Zuiderdam Panama Canal 2015

Mtn2Sea

The captain indicated we really wouldn't be able to see much activity until 6:45 this morning, so I left the cabin at 6:25 to find a spot on the bow (Deck 4). When I approached the door leading to the bow area, I saw a line of passengers had formed. A lot of people were leaving the bow, so a crewman had to be a traffic cop since only one person could pass through the door at a time. As soon as I got out, I looked up and saw people standing at the upper decks looking forward. Only two people were on Deck 5, so I thought I could get a Panama roll before moving up one deck. After standing in the line a couple of minutes, I looked up and saw Deck 5 was filling up fast - the other decks had already filled up. I then made the decision to skip getting a roll and head on up. Fortunately, I was able to get a good spot.

We were very fortunate in that a cloud was covering the sun until just before I left to get some breakfast in the Lido. I grabbed my usual items and discovered DW had a table next to the window. We were able to watch the ship enter the second lock from our table. We then returned to the cabin and watched the ship in the third lock from our balcony. We were scheduled to be in the Vista Lounge at 9:35 for our excursion, but because the ship entered the locks later than expected, the lounge was full of people. Our excursion was called at approximately 10:30. Here are some pictures from our passage through the first three locks that lead to Gatun Lake, which is a man made lake dug as part of the canal construction.

image.jpg2_zpsfyu3dzx1.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsolon7xz4.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsmad94jq9.jpg

image.jpg3_zpssos5k2xs.jpg

Here's the ship at anchor in the lake.

image.jpg1_zps852v1hdv.jpg

Until later.

Your live from's are always so good.

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed following along.

Thank you so much for taking the time and the $ to do this:D

Edited by kazu

I don't think anyone on board is watching marine traffic... here is what you look like at about 5:30AM:) (blue icon). Headed towards the Cristobal Breakwater, Gatun Locks is located almost straight ahead at the bottom of the page.

2uxv97b.jpg

My husband and myself are tracking the same!

Robert, Thankyou for soooo much time you are giving with your writing. My question, what camera and lens are you using. Great pictures as always.your photos are wonderful!

Denise from sunny San Diego!

Sailing B2B Western/Eastern Carribean Cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam 3/15/2015

Becoming 4STAR MARINER on cruise

Your live from's are always so good.

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed following along.

Thank you so much for taking the time and the $ to do this:D

Thanks Jacqui. Hope you and the Sail Away Gang enjoy your upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

My husband and myself are tracking the same!

Robert, Thankyou for soooo much time you are giving with your writing. My question, what camera and lens are you using. Great pictures as always.your photos are wonderful!

Denise from sunny San Diego!

Sailing B2B Western/Eastern Carribean Cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam 3/15/2015

Becoming 4STAR MARINER on cruise

Thanks Denise for following along. I'm using a Nikon D7100 and my primary lens is a Nikon 18 - 300 zoom. I'm using a Nikon 40mm macro lens for the food shots and a Sigma 10 - 20 wide angle for most of the ship photos that I will be posting later.

Today's excursion was a visit to the Authenic Embera Native Village. Both DW and I had mixed feelings about the excursion. Some parts we really liked and some parts not so much. We had a bus ride of over an hour to the spot where we boarded the dugout canoes. During our ride we got a glance at some of the construction of the new canal, which currently is scheduled to open in December 2016.

The ride in the dugout, although not very long, was very pleasant. For most of the canoe's seats, two people sat side by side. Each canoe has an outboard motor and as the "captain" sped up, people near the front got some spray from the bow wave. When we landed at the village we were met by a small group of men playing native musical instruments. Because it was approximately 1:00 PM, we were directed to a large thatched hut, where we were fed. If food is important to you on an excursion, you might want to rethink going on this excursion.

For the first course, we were took slices of bread out of the bag and a piece of ham and a slice of cheese were placed on the bread. We then picked up a packet(s) of mustard and/or ketchup (no mayo). We were also give a choice of coke, diet coke, ginger ale or water. The tour guide and a local then talked for a while, part of which sounded like a sales talk for the local goods in the next hut. We were then given our next course, which was tilapia and plantain chips inserted in a folded banana leaf. The fish was good, but it was cold. For dessert, we had pineapple and watermelon slices. We had no forks or knives. At the end, everyone had the opportunity to rinse their hands in an elongated bowl with water and lemon leaves. We were given a paper towel to dry our hands. At that point we had the opportunity to buy items made by the locals. Some of the items were nice, but we've recently downsized and aren't interested in buying trinkets. DW did buy some jewelry.

One of the passengers obviously had gone to a dollar store prior to the trip because she had probably a hundred little toy items that she gave out to the children - it looked like Christmas. Another passenger had a Polaroid type camera and took a few pictures of the kids, who loved getting a photo of themselves. We then go back in the canoes to return to the bus for our trip to Colon. Here're are my photos from today's excursion.

image.jpg1_zpssaht2ndv.jpg

image.jpg1_zpssnnhqkaq.jpg

image.jpg4_zpskfy0wwb0.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsbotaietr.jpg

image.jpg2_zpscslhsbdr.jpg

image.jpg2_zpswz2htpbt.jpg

Until later.

We debated whether to go to the Lido for dinner after our long day, but in the end decided to go to the MDR. Here's tonight's menu.

image.jpg4_zpswvlwj7yl.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsqfcbskrr.jpg

I decided to get the chicken with prosciutto, mozzarella and basil - it was like an Italian cordon bleu dish. DW ordered the veal rump. For dessert, I got the Snickers cake and DW got the banana's foster sundae.

image.jpg1_zps8fy8zcvl.jpg

Until later.

I don't think anyone on board is watching marine traffic... here is what you look like at about 5:30AM:) (blue icon). Headed towards the Cristobal Breakwater, Gatun Locks is located almost straight ahead at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for posting the marine traffic chart and the photo of the Zuiderdam going through the locks! Interesting seeing the number of ships lining up to go through the canal.

Today's excursion was entitled Veragua Rainforest Eco-Adventure & Tortuguero Canal. We went to the canal first. It reminded me of some of the rivers we have in Florida; although the vegetation may have been different, the overall look was the same. We did, however, see a sloth. Here're the photos from the boat ride.

image.jpg1_zpsdgjgy79t.jpg

In the first photo on the left, you'll see very small bats attached to the tree trunk. In the center of the second picture on the left, you'll see the face of a sloth.

image.jpg2_zpsys2xuwve.jpg

More in a moment.

After the river tour, we returned to the bus in order to travel to the Veragua Rainforest. We were able to see some countryside as the bus climbed higher and higher up the mountain. At the rainforest we were divided into several groups, depending on whether you wanted to see the waterfall, which involved approximately 300 stair steps, or walking within the rainforest, which was a flat path.

We saw snakes (in display cases), frogs (in display cases as well out and about) and butterflies (mounted, in a butterfly room and around the grounds). We also rode a tram down the mountainside where we went either to the waterfall or the path to see the rainforest up close and personal. My group had a hot lunch (chicken, rice and beans, mixed vegetables, plantains and fresh fruit) prior to riding the tram. Here're the photos from the rainforest.

image.jpg3_zpsh57ew2h7.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsn0h9ie5l.jpg

image.jpg1_zpskgh3hsbv.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsehgjkrju.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsy8wbd5vx.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsslg5hmlz.jpg

Until later.

We went to dinner tonight a little after 6:00 and was able to get a table for two. Here's tonight's menu.

image.jpg1_zpszlu9d9nh.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsxkw831i2.jpg

I ordered the lasagna and DW chose the braised beef roulade. I really liked the lasagna and DW said the beef was seasoned really well. For dessert I got the Chocolate Seduction and DW got the raspberry sundae. My dessert was like a very thick pudding that was very rich tasting.

image.jpg1_zps8ygyrs8u.jpg

After dinner we went to the program at the Vista Lounge, which featured Heather Sullivan, who sang well known songs, mostly from the 60's and 70's, that were originally performed by various female artists. She also sang one song she had written herself, which was very good.

image.jpg2_zpswc1evbkq.jpg

Immediately after the show, we went to the Queen's Lounge for the Marriage Game, which was hosted by our cruise director, Hamish. The three couples had been married from 3 months to 58 years. Hamish did an excellent job in keeping everyone laughing throughout the game.

Until later.

Today is our third sea day and is much appreciated after three busy ports. This morning we ate breakfast in the Lido around 9:00 and had a hard time finding a table - our usual area with our favorite Lido steward was totally full. After breakfast, we went to the Crow's nest to read our books. At 10:00 we could hear Annette asking the questions for this morning's team trivia. Here's today's program.

image.jpg1_zpseyca4xin.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsqtmezer7.jpg

Until later.

A Mariners Brunch was held today at 11:30 in the upper dining room, but we chose to go to the regular lunch in the lower dining room. We've had to change our clocks four times on this cruise and two of those occurred at noon rather than during the middle of the night. So even though the schedule shows the MDR is open 12:00 to 1:00, it's really open 1:00 to 2:00 (new time). Here's today's lunch menu.

image.jpg2_zpslng6bjwh.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsnaf2grhz.jpg

I opted for the chicken sandwich and DW ordered the beef stroganoff. For dessert, I got the mango tart and DW chose the chocolate tart. We both enjoyed our food.

image.jpg1_zps8mqznwbt.jpg

I'm about to get back to my book, but prior to doing so, I thought I'd post a few pictures of general interest. The first ones were taken at night and then some random ship photos.

image.jpg3_zpsq66piusw.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvayg9m4g.jpg

Until later.

That was an incredible view of the Live Zuiderdam canal, very well staged. It has the proper breed of exciting map coordinates and best kept secrets. I love the open water stage area. Are you on the cruise? :)

Thanks for following along. We are almost at the end of our cruise. One sea day left and then back to Fort Lauderdale and the real world.

Your postings are really getting us pumped up for our upcoming Oosterdam cruise. Pictures are fantastic and each menu and food picture is making us hungry. Seems to be quite a few new items on the menu.

Just about every meal we've eaten has been very good. We've given our compliments to the culinary director several times! I'm sure you'll have a great experience on the Oosterdam when you're down under.