Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

I agree that you are NOT a chair hog, if you are actually in the chair, no matter how long. YOU, your FLIP FLOP, BOOK, etc., are CHOGS, if YOU are not in the chair for 30 minutes or more.

Exactly.No matter if you are on that chair for an hour, 2 hours, or the whole damn day, the equipment is being used.

I just returned from Spring Break on the Magic and didn't have any issues finding a chair...I was either on the Serenity deck or watching my son at Waterworks and never had trouble finding a place to sit down. If by the main pool, my husband and I would just put all our stuff in one chair rather than taking up several as we are pretty much just in the pool anyways.

Ok, I don't ever use the deck chairs, but look at it this way, there aren't going to be 4,000 chairs for 4,000 passengers and there aren't enough people like me who spend their time walking the ship. The chair "hogs" who sit all day encourage others to become chair "savers". If everyone would limit the time they spend in a chair then I don't think people trying to save them would be such an issue.

I guess we should have 2 hour increments based on your cabin right. So if you are on deck 1 you get from midnight to 2 am , etc.

The lady working told me there were 3700 passengers and 200 deck chairs at the main pool. I gave an honest review that basically if you were not there by 9 or 10am you were not getting a chair there. So basically if I waited until 10am and left at noon then your okay but since I got there early and shivered until the sun came up I am a chair hog. So does that make those sitting at the main piano bar all night a hog or those that get their early for every show and sit in the front a hog? What about those that get to a beach early. Should they move and find a new spot without chairs or shade every few hours?

Basically in June when we go back, your darn sure I will be doing the same at least one of the 3 1/2 sea days. I do not save for those not there but if I want a chair to lay out, read, and watch my kids having fun by golly I will. [emoji5]

Yes you are. If there are only half the chairs being used and the other half are empty then that is wrong and should be freed up for someone else to use.

You might call us chair hogs but there is always someone in our group in at least 1-2 chairs at all times. My husband gets up early (4:00) every morning and about daylight puts stuff on enough chairs (anywhere from 2-10) for our group. We all come out there within an hour or so. And at least half of the chairs are occupied through out the day. Most of the time all of them all day. If after a period of time we give up some when we think some will not return.

I am not a sun worshipper, so chair hogs on the deck don't bother me. You will never change anyone's chair hogging opinion, entitlement, consideration, first-come-first-serve attitude, etc. The practical joker in me says a joke is the best "solution". A little spay of this on a towel left alone too long in the sun...

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-Mister/dp/B000OCEWGW/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1426615607&sr=1-1&keywords=liquid+ass

(By the way, for a good laugh, read the hilarious customer reviews!)

I have personally smelt this and it will make your nose hairs curl and bring on the gag reflex! No one is going to sit back down on that towel!

Edited by mpcaruth

This problem happens on all cruise lines and all ships, not just Carnival. On our Disney Dream cruise there were always chairs next to the pool with a towel, a shoe, a water bottle, etc. We just moved everything if we didn't see anybody using the chairs. Same on the NCL Getaway.

The one advantage Disney had was the beach towels were readily available all over the ship and you weren't charged if they were lost. In fact, they would hand out beach towels as you left the ship for port and would simply collect the wet towels on the way back on the ship. No worrying about being charged was very nice. I don't understand why the other cruise lines make you keep track like that. It is just a towel.

Then you have issues like we saw on Princess where people would just leave their dirty towels on the chairs so you didn't know if they were being used or the people just left leaving their dirty towels behind.

The rule I follow is "if you move your feet, you lose your seat." i.e....if you are gone from a chair to go eat lunch for an hour you should have no expectations of having that seat when you get back. The same goes if you go for a walk and are gone for a half hour. The same goes if you head to the ice cream machine for 15 minutes. The same goes for if you are gone for 5 minutes to take a dip in the pool. The same goes if you are gone for 1 minute use the bathroom. Etc.... If I am looking for a chair and someone is saving it with a towel, potato, etc....I don't take the chair because it is rude to touch someone else's stuff and to take the chair would make me in the wrong also. Wrong + Wrong does not = Right.

The rule I follow is "if you move your feet, you lose your seat." i.e....if you are gone from a chair to go eat lunch for an hour you should have no expectations of having that seat when you get back. The same goes if you go for a walk and are gone for a half hour. The same goes if you head to the ice cream machine for 15 minutes. The same goes for if you are gone for 5 minutes to take a dip in the pool. The same goes if you are gone for 1 minute use the bathroom. Etc.... If I am looking for a chair and someone is saving it with a towel, potato, etc....I don't take the chair because it is rude to touch someone else's stuff and to take the chair would make me in the wrong also. Wrong + Wrong does not = Right.

I'd hate to be in a movie theater with you.... Especially if I got up to use the bathroom!

Was that just in serenity or around other main areas as well?

While there was some chair hogging everywhere on board, the majority of the obvious hogging was in the Serenity area. A flip flop here, book bag there, no one to be seen (or even come by to wonder where their items went after the towel folks removed them). I saw a flip flop in a chair for an hour and sat there for another 3 hours without anyone attempting to claim the now long gone flip flop.

The tagging of chairs that I noticed was in Serenity and main pool area. I did not spend much time on deck in other areas to notice if they tagged chairs there or not.

Edited by Out to sea!

While you may not like it, Carnival allows a person to be away from their chair for 40 minutes and still keep the chair. If you take a chair that has not been vacated for 40 minutes or offered to you by the previous owner you most likely will get talked to by security.

While there was some chair hogging everywhere on board, the majority of the obvious hogging was in the Serenity area. A flip flop here, book bag there, no one to be seen (or even come by to wonder where their items went after the towel folks removed them). I saw a flip flop in a chair for an hour and sat there for another 3 hours without anyone attempting to claim the now long gone flip flop.

The tagging of chairs that I noticed was in Serenity and main pool area. I did not spend much time on deck in other areas to notice if they tagged chairs there or not.

Thanks, good info.

I'd hate to be in a movie theater with you.... Especially if I got up to use the bathroom!

I agree. Big difference between taking a dip of going to the head vs. leaving a flip flop on a chair for 40 minutes.

While you may not like it, Carnival allows a person to be away from their chair for 40 minutes and still keep the chair. If you take a chair that has not been vacated for 40 minutes or offered to you by the previous owner you most likely will get talked to by security.

In essence I don't think a chair should be saved for any amount of time. I also don't think it is right to take a chair that someone is saving. It is not proper for me to set my values on someone else.

I'd hate to be in a movie theater with y ou.... Especially if I got up to use the bathroom!

As I stated earlier I don't think it is right to take someone's saved spot. That would include a movie also. Or any other spot in the game of "What if."

In essence I don't think a chair should be saved for any amount of time. I also don't think it is right to take a chair that someone is saving. It is not proper for me to set my values on someone else.

But it is not your values that you are imposing on someone else if they have saved a chair for over 40 minutes without a body in it...it is the cruiseline rules. I have no problem taking a saved chair if it was bodyless for 40 minutes or longer. Luckily I won't have to worry about it on our next cruise. I plan on spending sea days on my balcony where only I can hog my chair and on port days we will either be exploring the port or relaxing in Serenity with an empty ship. Either way I avoid the Lido and the chair hogs whom I have seen on virtually all my cruises on all the lines we have sailed on sea days.

Then you have issues like we saw on Princess where people would just leave their dirty towels on the chairs so you didn't know if they were being used or the people just left leaving their dirty towels behind.

If the area were packed and I wanted a seat, I might very possibly take those loungers. I may ask the neighboring people if they had been vacant a while.

Should the people return, that's all you've got to say, 'I didn't know'.

I don't think you know the meaning of two of the words you just used. Wrong and rude.

Make that 3. Right. :confused: smh

As I stated earlier I don't think it is right to take someone's saved spot. That would include a movie also. Or any other spot in the game of "What if."

You know there is to be no saving, right?

So a guy's wife gets up to use the restroom wrapped in her towel, that chair's fair game right? She leaves her towel, then it's a no no?

If the area were packed and I wanted a seat, I might very possibly take those loungers. I may ask the neighboring people if they had been vacant a while.

Should the people return, that's all you've got to say, 'I didn't know'.

That's what we did and what we were going to say....but I just thought it added to the chair hog dilemma by having even more chairs that were actually not being saved, look like they possibly were. At least on Carnival people don't leave their towels behind when they are done using the chairs because they are too lazy to throw them in the bin.

You know there is to be no saving, right?

So a guy's wife gets up to use the restroom wrapped in her towel, that chair's fair game right? She leaves her towel, then it's a no no?

In this example of "What If" I would ask the person that is sitting next to the open seat if the seat was taken. The person would obviously say yes and then I would move on. I have been on 5 cruises and have never taken a saved seat or moved anything off a seat. I don't think I have even met a rude person on a cruise.

You might call us chair hogs but there is always someone in our group in at least 1-2 chairs at all times. My husband gets up early (4:00) every morning and about daylight puts stuff on enough chairs (anywhere from 2-10) for our group. We all come out there within an hour or so. And at least half of the chairs are occupied through out the day. Most of the time all of them all day. If after a period of time we give up some when we think some will not return.

So.....I'm guessing that this is the chair hogging that we are all talking about?

You absolutely are a chair hog. It's one thing for you and your husband to trade off going to get something to eat or bathroom break while the other watches the chair. Entirely different matter for 1-2 people to watch 4-8 empty chairs.