Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

You are a chair hog in my book. Why couldn't you enjoy your chairs for an hour or two and then go find something else to do. Really? You sit there until 2 in the afternoon?

Seems a bit selfish.

That is not being a chair hog...if she wants to get up at 6:30 AM and sit in the chair all day, then that's her decision! That's what I like to do as well, and I should not have to give my chair up at prime time, while I am still enjoying it. That's ridiculous!!:eek:

I don't think it is being a chair hog if you sit in the chair all day long. That's using the chair. First come first serve.

However, to the person who said their husband gets up at 4 and holds 10 chairs and everyone comes out an hour later. I don't buy that. Your entire party of 10 comes out at 5 in the morning? I think that is probably not the case and that is holding chairs which is chair hogging, IMO. I don't even bother trying to sit around the pool so I don't know why chair hoggers bother me so much, it is just so darn selfish of people. I get just as mad when I see someone playing 3 slot machines; the one they are sitting at and one on each side of them. Other people would like to play, one machine isn't enough for you? You need to lose your money three times as fast? Ugh, that's another topic though and certainly not limited to cruises. lol

Edited by BigB0882

In essence I don't think a chair should be saved for any amount of time. I also don't think it is right to take a chair that someone is saving. It is not proper for me to set my values on someone else.

The 40 minute rule has nothing to do with your values. Those are the Carnival rules and since it's their house, they get to make the rules. I'm not concerned by what your values are, only Carnival's rules.

I don't think it is being a chair hog if you sit in the chair all day long. That's using the chair. First come first serve.

However, to the person who said their husband gets up at 4 and holds 10 chairs and everyone comes out an hour later. I don't buy that. Your entire party of 10 comes out at 5 in the morning? I think that is probably not the case and that is holding chairs which is chair hogging, IMO. I don't even bother trying to sit around the pool so I don't know why chair hoggers bother me so much, it is just so darn selfish of people. I get just as mad when I see someone playing 3 slot machines; the one they are sitting at and one on each side of them. Other people would like to play, one machine isn't enough for you? You need to lose your money three times as fast? Ugh, that's another topic though and certainly not limited to cruises. lol

Agree!!

Who is to say we sit at a prime location? I just said we all sit together. Also last time I checked daylight was around 6:30. Yes, most of us get up and are at the chairs within an hour. Oh, just in case you were wondering, there is always plenty of chairs around us most of the morning.

I have had plenty of people leave things and never come back, it's not my business so I don't mind it.

I read CC all the time and rarely respond to anything because so many people who have nothing positive to add to life.

This app is great for information but you need to sift through the negative.

While hogging of chairs is the main topic of discussion, it just comes down to people being rude and inconsiderate. The same people who hog chairs are more than likely the same people who are jumping the line to be first or pushing you aside at the buffet to grab what they want. it's all about them, screw anyone else. So how dare others, especially Carnival, try to dictate to them how they're going to do things. Rules and proper decorum don't matter to them, BUT God forbid anyone ever does something they deem rude. (i.e. point out their rudeness loudly)

And if you find what that I said ticked you off, then you're the problem.

Who is to say we sit at a prime location? I just said we all sit together. Also last time I checked daylight was around 6:30. Yes, most of us get up and are at the chairs within an hour. Oh, just in case you were wondering, there is always plenty of chairs around us most of the morning.

I have had plenty of people leave things and never come back, it's not my business so I don't mind it.

I read CC all the time and rarely respond to anything because so many people who have nothing positive to add to life.

This app is great for information but you need to sift through the negative.

while I would agree that there is a lot of negativity on this site I suspect that is not your issue with this thread. You have been called on the carpet for your actions and don't like it.

I am pretty much a live and let live kind of person. Chair hogs are one of the things that truly do bother me since it keeps me from getting a chair by the pool or clamshell on sea days.

while I would agree that there is a lot of negativity on this site I suspect that is not your issue with this thread. You have been called on the carpet for your actions and don't like it.

I am pretty much a live and let live kind of person. Chair hogs are one of the things that truly do bother me since it keeps me from getting a chair by the pool or clamshell on sea days.

I disagree about there being a lot of negativity on this site. There are, however, a few threads that have negative comments in them though, and this is one such thread. Threads that deal with what is the right thing or wrong thing to do are always heated. It gets heated because people dislike their rudeness or inconsiderateness being pointed out and being put on display.

People who cut lines, chair hogs, people who shove through without so much as a "pardon me" are all pet peeves of mine. And I am VERY opinionated when it comes to them, too. I am not shy in commenting about them, either on here or in person when it is happening. (Much to the chagrin of my wife at times. :D)

This topic will never die. it will always be a complaint. When I joined the site in 2003, one of these topics was in full force then. And while we're always covering familiar ground, it's still important to discuss. If even one person realizes just how much of a jerk they're being based on what they've read in this thread and they decide to change, then that's a good thing. :)

Edited by Kevin T Brown

Totally agree with those that said if your behind is IN the seat, then you're not chair hogging and you can sit there all day long if you want. That's what the loungers are there for, right?

It's the bozo's that plop a book or towel or orange (or eight empty chairs in a circle in case their friends show up) in the seat and think it's going to be there in two hours that make me roll my eyes and if I want that seat, I am moving those "lost" items.

To the family who says they have 2 or 3 people around "their" 10-12 saved chairs at all times: You're a hogger and rude besides. You say you're in an area that isn't necessarily wanted by others, but you need to know if someone is wondering around looking for somewhere to sit and enjoy their cruise experience, there are people, like me, who would let them know those chairs over there (pointing at yours) are available. I might even help them find a Carnival employee to help them move the empty chairs in your circle to a more convenient location for actual use.

Manners are free. Get some.

I disagree about there being a lot of negativity on this site. There are, however, a few threads that have negative comments in them though, and this is one such thread. Threads that deal with what is the right thing or wrong thing to do are always heated. It gets heated because people dislike their rudeness or inconsiderateness being pointed out and being put on display.

People who cut lines, chair hogs, people who shove through without so much as a "pardon me" are all pet peeves of mine. And I am VERY opinionated when it comes to them, too. I am not shy in commenting about them, either on here or in person when it is happening. (Much to the chagrin of my wife at times. :D)

This topic will never die. it will always be a complaint. When I joined the site in 2003, one of these topics was in full force then. And while we're always covering familiar ground, it's still important to discuss. If even one person realizes just how much of a jerk they're being based on what they've read in this thread and they decide to change, then that's a good thing. :)

you make many valid points but I do think the site in general has become much more negative.

I agree that certain topics will always be that way. Sneaking booze on board, MDR dress code, chair hogs to name a few. But many others get their share of snarky comments as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, for some reason I'm finding this tread hilarious!! :D Does anyone have a link to the pic of the chair being saved with an orange (or have the pic itself)? I think that's one of my favourite chair hogging attempts, lol.

• 1 month later...
I am not a sun worshipper, so chair hogs on the deck don't bother me. You will never change anyone's chair hogging opinion, entitlement, consideration, first-come-first-serve attitude, etc. The practical joker in me says a joke is the best "solution". A little spay of this on a towel left alone too long in the sun...

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-Mister/dp/B000OCEWGW/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1426615607&sr=1-1&keywords=liquid+ass

(By the way, for a good laugh, read the hilarious customer reviews!)

I have personally smelt this and it will make your nose hairs curl and bring on the gag reflex! No one is going to sit back down on that towel!

BAHAHAHAHAHA...I had tears rolling down my eyes just reading those reviews!!

FYI..I've been on Cunard and had no problem finding a deck chair...ever.

I was on Azamara once and NO ONE was on deck. I had my pick of the litter...all day, everyday. ;-)

BAHAHAHAHAHA...I had tears rolling down my eyes just reading those reviews!!

FYI..I've been on Cunard and had no problem finding a deck chair...ever.

I was on Azamara once and NO ONE was on deck. I had my pick of the litter...all day, everyday. ;-)

As an avid people watcher I love this thread. From the very serious to the people that think its no big deal, all great stuff.

It is safe to say that CHOGGING threads get a TON of traction.

I know you really don't need another opinion but like everyone else I feel obligated.

I do think it is rude for people to come up on the deck at 0600 and plop an item on chairs and then go about their day knowing they have a chair in a prime spot should they ever need it.

That being said I wouldn't remove anyone's stuff either, I would be the guy that removed a towel and it belonged to a single mom that just sat in the pool with her kids for 10 minutes.

Ultimately I am on vacation and I am not going to let the lack of a "prime" deck seat ruin even one minute of my cruise.

I just love to sit and watch the fireworks on a daily basis regarding this age old pastime.

Everyone enjoy your next cruise.

You might call us chair hogs but there is always someone in our group in at least 1-2 chairs at all times. My husband gets up early (4:00) every morning and about daylight puts stuff on enough chairs (anywhere from 2-10) for our group. We all come out there within an hour or so. And at least half of the chairs are occupied through out the day. Most of the time all of them all day. If after a period of time we give up some when we think some will not return.

I think this is kinda the definition of chair hog. The only reason you seem to think it is ok is because nobody else is there yet. So.,we should all be getting up at 4am?

I am not a sun worshipper, so chair hogs on the deck don't bother me. You will never change anyone's chair hogging opinion, entitlement, consideration, first-come-first-serve attitude, etc. The practical joker in me says a joke is the best "solution". A little spay of this on a towel left alone too long in the sun...

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-Mister/dp/B000OCEWGW/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1426615607&sr=1-1&keywords=liquid+ass

(By the way, for a good laugh, read the hilarious customer reviews!)

I have personally smelt this and it will make your nose hairs curl and bring on the gag reflex! No one is going to sit back down on that towel!

I had to check out the site and I tell you I laughed so hard at the reviews that not only were tears streaming down my face, but I started coughing from laughing so hard. I wouldn't have the nerve to buy it or the need, but thanks for posting it.:)

I had to check out the site and I tell you I laughed so hard at the reviews that not only were tears streaming down my face, but I started coughing from laughing so hard. I wouldn't have the nerve to buy it or the need, but thanks for posting it.:)

Glad you got a great laugh. My 14 year old son was given this as a gift. He sprayed his cousin... needless to say, the bottle has been hidden.

Ok, for some reason I'm finding this tread hilarious!! :D Does anyone have a link to the pic of the chair being saved with an orange (or have the pic itself)? I think that's one of my favourite chair hogging attempts, lol.

I don't have a pic, but if it helps the laughter continue I'll add that we didn't turn the orange in when we gave the lone flip flop on the second chair to the attendant. We decided to eat it instead. Not even kidding. It was a good mid-morning snack. :D:eek:

We try to have breakfast early on the days I want to be on deck.

I've gotten so tired of being there so early and seeing towels everywhere. One morning I went out to do sunrise pics and people were out saving chairs before 6 am.

I have no problem with telling the attendant if they don't show up after an hour.

I use a mix of tartar sauce and relish to save my chairs. Mix it up and drop it randomly on the chair to look like Seagull crap. Come back, wipe off, relax.

Considering the tenacity of Carnival's cleaning crews, I don't think this would work so well...