Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

I just returned from the Grandeur of the Seas (RC). If you aren't familiar they have an adult area, Solarium. Well this was new to me, towards the last few days of the cruise, I noticed people were now placing beach towels on the tables, like tablecloths. WTH!!!

When does the madness end?

Excuse me Mr./Mrs. Hog, if I need that table I will remove the towel, and if I don't need the table I may remove the just chairs from the table. In that case, I'll leave your towel in place. ;)

I like the idea of removing the chairs!!

Pat

Just off the Imagination, there is a sign by the pool stating 40 minutes but staff does nothing. Went to a show and a guy was saving a whole row for his family, talked to an employee and he said he would look into it. Never showed up. Have one more cruise booked and then we are done with Carnival

Happens on all cruise lines. I would have sat my happy a** down, smiled and said "enjoy the show!"

Pat

Edited by quickrate

We just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Breeze with 3 Sea Days. On Sea Day 1, I went out and grabbed 2 chairs for me and my sister by the main pool around 6:30am and then promptly froze until the sun came up :) My sister came down about 6:45 and we took turns getting breakfast, lunch, she smokes, bathroom, etc. We met a nice couple and watched their stuff if they had to leave. No one left for more than 20 - 30 min. There was someone who was walking around at 6:30 tagging chairs and removing items after 40 minutes pretty much the entire time (we stayed until 2pm).

Sea Day 2 we did not get up early to get a chair since I had a spa appt and wanted to do other things. At 11am my sister wanted to lay out, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. There was nothing available. The upper decks did not have the chair saving rule I guess and people had them tied together, saving with flip flops etc but oh well.

Sea Day 3, repeated Sea Day 1, met 3 more great couples and hung out until 2 again. Saw some angry people (sadly saying they were plat, gold, etc) about the 40 min rule. Really if you need to be gone more than 40 minutes you don't need to the chair imo :).

We just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Breeze with 3 Sea Days. On Sea Day 1, I went out and grabbed 2 chairs for me and my sister by the main pool around 6:30am and then promptly froze until the sun came up :) My sister came down about 6:45 and we took turns getting breakfast, lunch, she smokes, bathroom, etc. We met a nice couple and watched their stuff if they had to leave. No one left for more than 20 - 30 min. There was someone who was walking around at 6:30 tagging chairs and removing items after 40 minutes pretty much the entire time (we stayed until 2pm).

Sea Day 2 we did not get up early to get a chair since I had a spa appt and wanted to do other things. At 11am my sister wanted to lay out, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. There was nothing available. The upper decks did not have the chair saving rule I guess and people had them tied together, saving with flip flops etc but oh well.

Sea Day 3, repeated Sea Day 1, met 3 more great couples and hung out until 2 again. Saw some angry people (sadly saying they were plat, gold, etc) about the 40 min rule. Really if you need to be gone more than 40 minutes you don't need to the chair imo :).

You are a chair hog in my book. Why couldn't you enjoy your chairs for an hour or two and then go find something else to do. Really? You sit there until 2 in the afternoon?

Seems a bit selfish.

I said it wasn't 100%.

I agree with this!

I do NOT agree with this.

Having sailed two different lines that cater to two somewhat different clienteles, I can unequivocally say that cost of the cruise doesn't make one a chair hog. Rude people are rude regardless of how much they spend. I have been cruising or going to all-inclusives since 2003. Chair hogs are not a new thing.

Anyway, Kristi, I'm with you all the way. You have the right attitude. I've done exactly the same things you have done. I will usually ask people in the area if they've seen the owner of the lone flip-flop first though before turning it in to lost & found. Hey, if there's just 1, it's obviously lost..... :D

If those "big talkers" on the keyboards have a problem with how it's handled by people like me or Kristi, then they're the problem.

And something I learned long ago, I make up a sign that says I'm away for a few moments to the buffet or washroom. (I usually don't get in the pool. And if I do, my wife will be staying in her chair.) I have encountered a problem in doing that just once. Jerks will be jerks no matter what.

You are a chair hog in my book. Why couldn't you enjoy your chairs for an hour or two and then go find something else to do. Really? You sit there until 2 in the afternoon?

Seems a bit selfish.

Yep, I know taking the time to enjoy myself and use the chairs is the wrong thing to do. Especially by not leaving them for hours with a show on them, maybe if you and I were on the same ship I would rotate with you but no one seemed to want to do that, I mean if I wanted to leave and come back a hour or two later do you think you would give it back, Highly doubt that.

A chair hog is someone who saves a chair and does not use it. I used them, when I was done I let those looking know it was available and they were all very friendly and thankful too. In fact 90% of the people around me stayed longer.

The sun was not fully up and going until around 11 so 3 hours of sunning is not that long.

Just off the Imagination, there is a sign by the pool stating 40 minutes but staff does nothing. Went to a show and a guy was saving a whole row for his family, talked to an employee and he said he would look into it. Never showed up. Have one more cruise booked and then we are done with Carnival

Maybe that's the way it is on the Imagination but I just came off the Sunshine and they were good at collecting chogs things to free chairs up. They would walk around every so often and put stickers with the time they walked by and the time 40 minutes later. If the items were still there 40 minutes later they would pick them up and store them in at the Serenity towel hut (I didn't use the regular deck). I commend the employees on the Sunshine.

Seems a bit selfish.

Really? This has to be a joke or something. If someone's butt is in a chair, they are NOT a chair hog. They are actually using the equipment. If you're uncertain, the definition of a chair hog is someone who places an item on a chair.....to SAVE it, and not actually use the chair.

Maybe that's the way it is on the Imagination but I just came off the Sunshine and they were good at collecting chogs things to free chairs up. They would walk around every so often and put stickers with the time they walked by and the time 40 minutes later. If the items were still there 40 minutes later they would pick them up and store them in at the Serenity towel hut (I didn't use the regular deck). I commend the employees on the Sunshine.

Same on the Breeze, and those poor guys and girls got tons of nasty comments. But I saw them more than once Help someone look for a chair, either empty or past the 40 min point. I got there early so I would not have to worry about getting a chair that had items in it previously and an angry owner come a hour later. Saw that happen once too, felt bad for them.

Seems a bit selfish.

wow really???? I think if somone wants to sit out all day on the deck they have every right to. Maybe that's what she likes to do. Who are you to tell her how she should spend her vacation. I plan to spend more than an hr or 2 by the pool most days.

Seems a bit selfish.

Wow. you're totally wrong about that.

On my last cruise my wife and I were in chairs from 10am until about 4pm during one sea day. The only times we weren't there together is when one had to use the washroom or decided to get something to eat. Either way, one of us was always there. Otherwise, both of us were there relaxing by either reading or chatting.

You might call us chair hogs but there is always someone in our group in at least 1-2 chairs at all times. My husband gets up early (4:00) every morning and about daylight puts stuff on enough chairs (anywhere from 2-10) for our group. We all come out there within an hour or so. And at least half of the chairs are occupied through out the day. Most of the time all of them all day. If after a period of time we give up some when we think some will not return.

Seems a bit selfish.

Nope, not a chair hog at all. They were up early, got the chairs and stayed in them until they were done. If they are using them, they can be there all day.

A chair hog is putting something on a chair to prevent others from using it until they decide they want to finally put themselves in it.

That could be hours.

Ok, I don't ever use the deck chairs, but look at it this way, there aren't going to be 4,000 chairs for 4,000 passengers and there aren't enough people like me who spend their time walking the ship. The chair "hogs" who sit all day encourage others to become chair "savers". If everyone would limit the time they spend in a chair then I don't think people trying to save them would be such an issue.

Seems a bit selfish.

This has to be a joke. Using the chair, doesnt make someone a chair hog. Ill never have an issue with someone using a chair 24/7 if they want it. At least they are using it and not preventing others from using it without using it themselves.

Ok, I don't ever use the deck chairs, but look at it this way, there aren't going to be 4,000 chairs for 4,000 passengers and there aren't enough people like me who spend their time walking the ship. The chair "hogs" who sit all day encourage others to become chair "savers". If everyone would limit the time they spend in a chair then I don't think people trying to save them would be such an issue.

SMH. Please tell me you're joking.

Seriously, if someone's butt is in the chair from dawn till dusk, they're not a hog. They're using the chair. A chair hog is someone who tries to save a chair by placing inanimate objects in it in an effort to have it later in the day.

People in the chairs, not hogs; one lone flip-flop in a chair, hog attempt.

You might call us chair hogs but there is always someone in our group in at least 1-2 chairs at all times. My husband gets up early (4:00) every morning and about daylight puts stuff on enough chairs (anywhere from 2-10) for our group. We all come out there within an hour or so. And at least half of the chairs are occupied through out the day. Most of the time all of them all day. If after a period of time we give up some when we think some will not return.

Might? No, that is definite chair hoggish behavior if your husband (or any member of your group) is saving chairs for future use. Putting stuff on chairs is not equivalent to "a butt in the seat".

Was that just in serenity or around other main areas as well?