Transatlantic - just another cruise?

richleeds

We have never done a TA, we leave them to the bargain hunters, but in spirit of being open minded we may consider one on P&O in the future.

What is the general feeling onboard? Does it feel just like any other cruise, like Venice to Barcelona on repeat all summer long or does it feel like the ship, its officers, crew and all the passengers are on a mission to get somewhere and that is a big focus of the the holiday?

Apart from the many sea days, could you be on any cruise or is a TA a very different beast?

We have never done a TA, we leave them to the bargain hunters, but in spirit of being open minded we may consider one on P&O in the future.

What is the general feeling onboard? Does it feel just like any other cruise, like Venice to Barcelona on repeat all summer long or does it feel like the ship, its officers, crew and all the passengers are on a mission to get somewhere and that is a big focus of the the holiday?

Apart from the many sea days, could you be on any cruise or is a TA a very different beast?

If you want to relax and enjoy cruising it is fine. If you like a med fly cruise then this is not for you. We like them, now there is a surprise I hear you say. We would not like a fly cruise with 6 ports and 7 nights. I do not think people think they are on a mission, the ship has to be the destination. If you do not think of it that way then possibly not for you.

We have our third out and back booked for Jan next year so we like to cruise both ways. It a hassle flying with my scooter.

Dai

On a P&O ship it's just like any cruise but with no ports.

You really would need to look a TAs on QM2, the only ship now that can be called an ocean liner, to get the real feeling of a TA crossing.

P&O TAs are mostly repositioning voyages, or voyages to somewhere else rather than scheduled crossings as with Cunard.

David.

Edited by balf

If you want to relax and enjoy cruising it is fine. If you like a med fly cruise then this is not for you. We like them, now there is a surprise I hear you say. We would not like a fly cruise with 6 ports and 7 nights. I do not think people think they are on a mission, the ship has to be the destination. If you do not think of it that way then possibly not for you.

We have our third out and back booked for Jan next year so we like to cruise both ways. It a hassle flying with my scooter.

Dai

We like a med fly cruise or a caribbean fly cruise, we are taking another next week out of Miami.

However that doesnt mean will we dislike a TA, but I think for us it would be weather dependant and if there were lots of sea days with inclement weather then it would not be for us.

If it was 8 hours of baking sun then we could survive, providing we had filled our cabin with enough alcohol for the journey.

On a P&O ship it's just like any cruise but with no ports.

You really would need to look a TAs on QM2, the only ship now that can be called an ocean liner, to get the real feeling of a TA crossing.

P&O TAs are mostly repositioning voyages, or voyages to somewhere else rather than scheduled crossings as with Cunard.

David.

I think we would like to try both - we are always open to new experiences.

We are maybe saving the QM2 for a significant birthday and will cruise to NY then spend a week there before flying onto Vegas then a week on a beach somewhere before flying back to the UK.

I agree though and would expect a reposition would be different to a scheduled crossing.

Well after Madeira you can get hot weather but as the TA's are end of Oct you are not generally going to get that on the way to Funchal. We did the New York And New England TA and it was hot and like a mill pond both ways except for one night of bumpy.

We have done both and enjoyed both (on P&O and RCCL). I tend to agree that it all depends on your perspective.

If you see a cruise as being specifically about the ports you visit and you want more than half a dozen calls in two weeks, than perhaps a TA won't be too far up your list.

However if you see a cruise as being more about the ship being the destination, and visiting a few ports as an added bonus, then you may well enjoy a TA.

A TA tends to be a more relaxing 'get away from everything' no phone, no rushing, type of break. Whereas the 10-12 stops in 14 days Med or Caribbean cruise can be quite hectic and not so much of a relaxing time - still really enjoyable though!

Horses for courses!

We have done both and enjoyed both (on P&O and RCCL). I tend to agree that it all depends on your perspective.

If you see a cruise as being specifically about the ports you visit and you want more than half a dozen calls in two weeks, than perhaps a TA won't be too far up your list.

However if you see a cruise as being more about the ship being the destination, and visiting a few ports as an added bonus, then you may well enjoy a TA.

A TA tends to be a more relaxing 'get away from everything' no phone, no rushing, type of break. Whereas the 10-12 stops in 14 days Med or Caribbean cruise can be quite hectic and not so much of a relaxing time - still really enjoyable though!

Horses for courses!

We are a bit port'd out to be honest, certainly as far as the caribbean and the med goes, know them all back to front and often stay on the ship.

We have a new one next week "Basseterre" in the caribbean but we tend to find they are all much of a muchness.

We are a bit port'd out to be honest, certainly as far as the caribbean and the med goes, know them all back to front and often stay on the ship.

We have a new one next week "Basseterre" in the caribbean but we tend to find they are all much of a muchness.

Yes I tend to agree. We are stopping at St Kitts in a couple of weeks which is somewhere we have not been to before, but we have been to most of the 'normal' ports.

We do tend to see the ports as the added bonus nowadays!

I did my first TA last year on Azura. Southampton to Barbados. I picked the wrong ship for me. The age range was varied as there were 70 kids on board so families and all age ranges even though half term had finished. I found Azura didn't have enough outside space, and was really disappointed with it all. Shame but I guess my expectations were too high. If I go again I will try get a balcony on the sunny side for some peace and quiet!

I did my first TA last year on Azura. Southampton to Barbados. I picked the wrong ship for me. The age range was varied as there were 70 kids on board so families and all age ranges even though half term had finished. I found Azura didn't have enough outside space, and was really disappointed with it all. Shame but I guess my expectations were too high. If I go again I will try get a balcony on the sunny side for some peace and quiet!

Interesting, really didnt think there would be so many kids on a TA.

Interesting, really didnt think there would be so many kids on a TA.

We were on Azura going the other way in March/April last year and there were probably only half that number on board. To be honest we didn't even notice there were that many until we saw a pirate parade!

The only TA we have done was last October on Ventura. Boarding at Malaga meant it was already boiling hot and it continued thus until St Maarten. We found ourselves with a daily routine. Sunbeds were hogged until mid afternoon so "played (badly)" quoits every morning (good laugh and a chance to chat), we joined the choir (good fun) and practice was 13.00 every day. Lunch after choir. Usually got sunbeds for a couple of hours ( too hot for any longer). Swam in the front pool and dried off in the sun with a nice glass (or two) of something till the sun moved around. Then time for kip, shower, dinner and show. Having a 6 day crossing is extremely relaxing but of course it wouldn't be if we were calling for Bill and Hughie on the great white telephone. The state of the weather has a great impact on lots of things we do on a daily basis anyway and more so on a cruise. Can't remember meeting any Loonies - perhaps we are Loonies, oh my, there's a thought. It was quite a good price that cruise, perhaps that means we are one of "those people".....

What people critising P&O forget is that it is a British company whose passengers are mostly Brits. Money or lack of it does not necessarily predict how people will behave. Just walk down the average British high street. I rest my case your Honor.

The only TA we have done was last October on Ventura. Boarding at Malaga meant it was already boiling hot and it continued thus until St Maarten. We found ourselves with a daily routine. Sunbeds were hogged until mid afternoon so "played (badly)" quoits every morning (good laugh and a chance to chat), we joined the choir (good fun) and practice was 13.00 every day. Lunch after choir. Usually got sunbeds for a couple of hours ( too hot for any longer). Swam in the front pool and dried off in the sun with a nice glass (or two) of something till the sun moved around. Then time for kip, shower, dinner and show. Having a 6 day crossing is extremely relaxing but of course it wouldn't be if we were calling for Bill and Hughie on the great white telephone. The state of the weather has a great impact on lots of things we do on a daily basis anyway and more so on a cruise. Can't remember meeting any Loonies - perhaps we are Loonies, oh my, there's a thought. It was quite a good price that cruise, perhaps that means we are one of "those people".....

What people critising P&O forget is that it is a British company whose passengers are mostly Brits. Money or lack of it does not necessarily predict how people will behave. Just walk down the average British high street. I rest my case your Honor.

Superb post. I have driven the porcelain bus on a few occasions.:D

QM2 is the only ship worth doing a TA crossing on in my opinion.

She is designed for it , inside and out.

The passenger mix is varied and interesting and quite different from your usual port intensive cruise.

Never had a problem finding somewhere to sit outside.

Never felt crowded even with 2000 plus passengers.

It's such a different experience from a cruise -it's a voyage and about the journey not the port destinations.

The entertainment programme has something to suit everyone.

And so, so relaxing, especially if you go westbound with 25 hour days.

On the downside....the weather is unpredictable as the QM2 route is usually a more northerly route than the repo cruises on P&O and other lines, going to anywhere other than New York.

Didn't know you could get to speak to Hughie on the telephone;) We were also on board for that one and have to say it was the calmest trans-Atlantic crossing we have ever done. By the way I have often been labelled as a looney:)

the only TA we've taken to date was on Azamara Quest last year, Miami to Nice and we had a great time. As others have said, we regarded the ship as the destination and fully immersed ourselves in the shipboard life and the few ports were just an added bonus. We enjoyed this enough to book a further TA this year in November going from Barcelona to Miami on Azamara Journey.

However we've also taken a few round trips with another due quite soon and have really enjoyed these longer itineraries and whilst we've had a little bit of inclement weather, that's not stopped us having a great time.

It is however, a much more relaxed experience than the port intensive cruises.

The only one we have done was a repositioning cruise from the Caribbean back to Southampton. It was April/May and the weather was great the whole way. We had a half day stop in the Azores. The ship ran as usual with outdoor activities and the usual entertainment at night. I loved the sea days, and when we arrived in Southampton we were already back on British time.

Have done TA to NY & up to Quebec. Great ports ( would advise a tour in St John but Bar Harbor is beautiful & the National Park with the free bus is brilliant. Newport RI is very good too.) NY is exciting. We were lucky & arrived under Verazzano Narrows bridge at about 4:30 am so had 2 full days in NY. We were on Aurora & weather was great. We changed clocks at lunchtime & contrary to earlier poster, I found 25 hr days really tiring. Got up at the usual time and by about 11:30 pm was pretty tired. Body couldn't get used to lying in bed for an extra hour ( no problem when the hours change over night, say in the Med.)

Also did TA on Oriana to Caribbean. But that has 4 day max sea sections.

Did find general atmosphere different. Many more get up & go characters on the NY trip.

Would do either again at the drop of a hat.

The only one we have done was a repositioning cruise from the Caribbean back to Southampton. It was April/May and the weather was great the whole way. We had a half day stop in the Azores. The ship ran as usual with outdoor activities and the usual entertainment at night. I loved the sea days, and when we arrived in Southampton we were already back on British time.

I think the only way we could do a TA would be the other way, we are not morning people so to lose an hour a day wouldnt be good for us.

Though going the other way and gaining an extra hour in bed daily would be great!

We have done 3 repositioning TA's, 2 with Princess & 1 with RCCL. The latter was from Miami to Barcelona whilst the former was one from Southampton to NY and the other to Barbados.

The NY trip went via Greenland and we went through Prins Christian Sund on the southern tip of Greenland. That was excellent and not many ships use that route now.

As a previous poster has said Bar Harbor, Newport(Rhode Island) were very good ports to visit as was St. John's (Canada).

Can't remember any loonies or undesirables apart from us.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It used to be different but since they built the Terminal it is much of a muchness.

However St Kitts is different, I will argue forever that all of the Islands are different, I hate it when people say they are all the same.

The P&O transatlantics are a totally different animal. They are not Cruises for gentlefolk. For peace and tranquility on the sea days book the Retreat on embarkation. Failing that, be prepared to be an early riser to join those who hog a multiple of sun beds, both in the sun and shade.

Bye the bye, a lesson in self defence prior to boarding could be of assistance, plus a pair of earplugs for the general use sun decks and restaurant.

Best idea is to book the speciality restaurants for the duration of the cruise. The speciality reastaurants will be almost empty, as the P&O trans Atlantic client demographic is totally different to that on Cunard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL