Liberty engine issue

allydown

We just got home tonite. Seriously, the ship was so slow we could have swam faster! It was some weird rocking at times too. And honestly where we were for dinner and some bar crew you could tell some people were fed up lol

Looking forward to some more input from someone on board now (or some other info on just what the deal was/is).

One post mid afternoon stated the Captain said they wouldn't be underway until 3:00AM (Sunday, March 1st). One hour later it's reported Liberty is on her way!?

Looking forward to some more input from someone on board now (or some other info on just what the deal was/is).

One post mid afternoon stated the Captain said they wouldn't be underway until 3:00AM (Sunday, March 1st). One hour later it's reported Liberty is on her way!?

I'd like to hear more, too, since I'm sailing on her this Thursday!:D:D

The 'report' of not leaving 'til 3am was made by an apparent troll who most recently posted he was still waiting to board...:rolleyes:

I'd like to hear more, too, since I'm sailing on her this Thursday!:D:D

The 'report' of not leaving 'til 3am was made by an apparent troll who most recently posted he was still waiting to board...:rolleyes:

I see. I read the whole thread but was skimming pretty quick. Didn't note the poster/troll "name". My bad there I guess.

I'd be VERY interested if I were you. Encouraging that she went right back out today. Really surprised nothing else has been reported (here anyway)!

I see. I read the whole thread but was skimming pretty quick. Didn't note the poster/troll "name".

FYI, Don't forget, you can always add useless posters to your ignore list so you don't have to see their posts.

dp

P.S. I'm Also waiting for more info. Can I assume no news is good news...

The Captain just announced that we won't be leaving port everglades until 3 AM Sunday (March 1st). Things aren't looking good for staying on schedule people!
Still waiting to board
Looks like a troll.

Roy

Yep, and one that's none too intelligent, either.

The post claiming what the Captain just told them was 4 hours BEFORE the post saying he was still waiting to board! :rolleyes:

well, this tread has quieted down quite a bit. Everything must be fixed and everyone on board are having too much fun to be posting on here I guess :)

Must be going good, cause which ever ship tracker the Ship Mate App is using is showing the LOTS right at the very end of the florida Keys: Dead south of Key West, and exaclty North of Havana.

dp

well, this tread has quieted down quite a bit. Everything must be fixed and everyone on board are having too much fun to be posting on here I guess :)

Must be going good, cause which ever ship tracker the Ship Mate App is using is showing the LOTS right at the very end of the florida Keys: Dead south of Key West, and exaclty North of Havana.

dp

I looked at marine traffic at 5:30 this AM and the ship was out of range, but that last report they had received was around 3:30AM in the area you said doing 19.6 kns.

Just got off Liberty. Everything on the ship was working fine including the Flowrider.

We missed Jamaica and had an extra sea day and $250 credit. Ship moving quite slowly.

No stand up surfing on this ship on first day. Only boogie boarding. Raining hard at the moment so probably the Flowrider is not that great right now.

Andrew

Are you a Toronto Firefighter, who was on Oasis last year whose wife surfed as well?

AS FAR AS Poolchairbob... GOOD LORD...:rolleyes:

I really don't know anything, but I spent an hour in the diamond lounge on deck 14 and I can tell you what passes for knowledge.

The flowrider was not even doing boogie board yesterday afternoon. Went out to check during one of the lulls between downpours. No staff nearby, just people wandering by.

So, got to diamond lounge after dealing with wet suitcases and wet clothing... freaking crappy Port Everglades porters and their disregard for other peoples stuff. Had a hard time finding something that was not already dirty from last week and, also, dry enough to wear to dinner.... at 6PM with a 6:45PM MTD time. There were a couple of people who were starting their 3rd B2B week. When I asked them about the engine issues, they said, that there was 1 turbine waiting for us in FLL and they took another from the Independance of the Seas which was in the port as well. They installed the first Saturday, and would have the second installed today or latest Monday morning. I do not know if these are specifically ships engines or supplemental engines for electricity or what. Again, I am not an electrical engineer or have any real clue how these ships operate beyond a basic theoretical understanding. We seem to be travelling at a reasonably normal speed.

The skies are overcast and it is obvious from watching people walking the track that it rained more last night. It looks like we may sail thru some rain today.

Back on a more important note, why does the Oasis stay on ships time (ie FLL time)despite being an hour behind the times on the Eastern itinerary, and we automatically fall back an hour going west on the Liberty? It was very, very irratating, when we were in the advanced flowrider line, at 9:05 or 10:05AM each morning, and someone who spoke no English would get in line without a wristband or even with one, and could not be dissuaded that it was actually not an hour later, like the cruise compass said for regular surfing. This happened each morning, until like day 7.... :rolleyes: The worst was when they let people start who couldn't even standup and then would let them go multiple times without telling them to leave...:rolleyes:

The Oasis Diamond lounge was well stocked with foods, and breads each morning, there is literally nothing in here but the cappucino machine. Didn't even have sticks to stir the coffee, fortunately, I solved that by being a bartender and pouring drinks back and forth and dirtying two paper cups...:eek:

On one more important note. I have screwed up booking this cruise. I think all of Florida's colleges are on Spring Break. The muster drill became a cheer between D27 and D29. The elevators are filled with drunk college kids. I was like dude act like an effing adult and not a stupid 16 year old drinking for the first time. After dinner we met a cute young girl still in her bathing suit and coverup who was distraught because apparently her roommate had hooked up with a guy and had dissappeared. I am sure she is/will be fine.... but parents... I sure hope you are not paying for your sweet young adults debauchery...:eek::D

Good lord, 56, and already a super curmudgeon...

PS... you all owe me about 80 bucks for signing up to post this live report.... and the crappy internet that will not even let me stream I tunes radio... That is my general test for the quality of internet, and so far the Liberty is failing big time.

Ciao til later

jc

Correction I tunes radio started after 15 minutes, with buffering every 10 or 15 seconds. I hope that someday soon they upgrade the internet on all these ships to the level of Oasis...

I am going to have to find flowrider ships in better more exotic locations, my wife is tired of the same ole ports....:eek:

jc

Very interesting. Exceedingly rare that you would lose two turbochargers at the same time. This would limit generating power by 33%, greatly limiting propulsion power available. They may have had one engine down for routine maintenance (very common occurrence), when the other two failed, which would explain the reports of 3 engines down, and the low speed of 10 knots. That's a new one on me, since the reason the ships have multiple engines is to preclude something like this happening.

The 6 diesel generators are all used to generate electricity, which is used to power the hotel, and for propulsion. They are joined on a common electrical system, so a portion of each engine is used for hotel load, and a portion is used for propulsion.

Edited by chengkp75

Interesting, pretty much how I thought it worked, but I am surprised that these units would be small enough to easily load and install and uninstall? :confused:

Anyway all seems right on board.:)

jc

I am from Toronto but am a retired insurance broker and not a firefighter. I do flowride a lot.

Andrew

Interesting, pretty much how I thought it worked, but I am surprised that these units would be small enough to easily load and install and uninstall? :confused:

Anyway all seems right on board.:)

jc

A turbocharger for one of these engines would be a crate about 5' x 5' x 8'. If they've got 5 out of 6 running, that should get you everything short of the last knot or two of speed. I figured you needed about 18 to get to Belize on time, and last report was 19 (making up for the slow start in the Gulf Stream.

On one more important note. I have screwed up booking this cruise. I think all of Florida's colleges are on Spring Break. The muster drill became a cheer between D27 and D29. The elevators are filled with drunk college kids. I was like dude act like an effing adult and not a stupid 16 year old drinking for the first time. After dinner we met a cute young girl still in her bathing suit and coverup who was distraught because apparently her roommate had hooked up with a guy and had dissappeared. I am sure she is/will be fine.... but parents... I sure hope you are not paying for your sweet young adults debauchery...:eek::D

Worked college security for a few years after I retired. You'll never see me on a Spring Break cruise. Every day must be like a Friday. It would probably give me flashbacks. :eek::D

JC, hope things fall into place better for you. If we ever cruise together I'll buy you a drink. It won't make up for the $80 but it mght help to ease the pain.

Andrew

I am paying for last week on the Oasis. Stand-up had 10 people initially, and at 10am it went to 25.... sigh. The wave is a lot different than Oasis, I keep catching the back of the board on the mat, been working on standing differently, the water seems slower. They had just repainted the Oasis wave and it was much slicker.

Going to try at 3pm and see how long the line is, may only make a run or two.

jc

I am paying for last week on the Oasis. Stand-up had 10 people initially, and at 10am it went to 25.... sigh. The wave is a lot different than Oasis, I keep catching the back of the board on the mat, been working on standing differently, the water seems slower. They had just repainted the Oasis wave and it was much slicker.

Going to try at 3pm and see how long the line is, may only make a run or two.

jc

Sigh, still better than a day of work. Is the ship moving at the appropriate speeds? Sorry about the wet luggage too.

Andrew

Sigh, still better than a day of work. Is the ship moving at the appropriate speeds? Sorry about the wet luggage too.

Andrew

True, the line was worse than when it was bad in the morning. On the upside they rarely let anyone go twice, got in 2 runs in an hour. Ship seems to be fine... that said, we are supposed to be in Belize City, my wife is doing a tour at 9... we are still at sea and moving. I expected we would be closer to land at this point, and maybe inside the reef. I can see a flashing light to the west, but it looks a long way away. Going to head up to Viking

Crown and Diamond lounge for a coffee, and see what I see there.

jc

From deck 14 I can see low land irregularly, but we seem well out to sea.

Been a wild cruise, apparently they use Alpha, Alpha, Alpha when there is a fight at the pool... there were two small brawls in the pool area yesterday. I happened to be on deck when the belly flop contest was ending. OMG, I have never seen such a mob of people on a cruise ship. The Viking Crown lounge was filled with young college age kids, Saturday night, they were not around last night... the alcohol is taking its toll.:eek::D

jc

From deck 14 I can see low land irregularly, but we seem well out to sea.

Been a wild cruise, apparently they use Alpha, Alpha, Alpha when there is a fight at the pool... there were two small brawls in the pool area yesterday. I happened to be on deck when the belly flop contest was ending. OMG, I have never seen such a mob of people on a cruise ship. The Viking Crown lounge was filled with young college age kids, Saturday night, they were not around last night... the alcohol is taking its toll.:eek::D

jc

College crowd, and I bet the 5 day cruise made it more interesting for them. I learned a few years ago that hot sun and booze are not friends.;) The young pups have a few lessons to learn yet. Maybe they reviewed their bar bill, and decided to shut it down themselves.

Sounds like the ship is running the way it is supposed to.