Liberty engine issue

allydown

A dry dock can't be done in 2 days. It takes way longer than 2 days to get to the dry dock facility, get the ship out of the water, fix it, get it back in the water, and then sail back to where they are supposed to be. These things take a long time to both plan and execute.

Totally understand it would take more than two days.

My thought was that incorporating a dry dock/repair including those two "non revenue" dates would result in loss of less income.

Sounds lke you picked a great week all the way through. What is a Pezz? I get the rest. If they do the BOB as a round robin like in November and 1 and 1A face each other you might be surprised where you fall in. I guess the folks from Vermont and NH are all skiing or boarding for their breaks. Bogdan might be there or not. We have sailed with the rest of them too, but we have sailed with him the most, 3 times in the last 2 years.

Hopefully Liberty will not let you down and you have anther great cruise. It is safe to assume it has a flowrider. ;) Hopefully they don't have to turn the power down there.

If you have a chance go to the Flow Show. The have changed it and there are some hilarious moments. Have a good last day on Oasis and enjoy Liberty.

I am not going to compete against Pezz or Cody. No contest.

Pezz is a 65 year old former principal from Jersey, who is a fixture on this ship. I think he is on his 16th Oasis cruise with a similar number on the Allure. He is rock solid on the board. Cody on the other hand is on his third cruise, but he is young and nimble.

Me I just carve back and forth getting better this week, watching Pezz has been very good for me. Hopefully, we can get back to the flowrider after watching Cats at 2:30PM today.

jc

Cindy: Liberty needs to make 18 knots for the NJ to Bermuda run, and the Freedom was making much more than that with a free-wheeling fixipod. If they pull the blades from the damaged pod, they should make this easily.

Thanks! I always appreciate it when you add your expertise to a technical thread!:) I was actually wondering about that long run from San Juan back to NJ. I didn't realize a ship could go that fast without the full propulsion system operational.

Thanks! I always appreciate it when you add your expertise to a technical thread!:) I was actually wondering about that long run from San Juan back to NJ. I didn't realize a ship could go that fast without the full propulsion system operational.

Most people don't realize that to get the last 1-2 knots of speed, requires about a 30% increase in horsepower. Now, with the vagaries of the Gulf Stream, and weather (though this is a summer itinerary) it could get close sometimes, but I think that itinerary would be okay.

On the up side... If Liberty does need a short premature dry dock, perhaps they will take the opportunity to install the Freestyle Machines ;)

Just trying my best to remain positive for our Easter Cruise that we booked last June :(

If you guys could see the snow banks around here, you would feel my pain.

dp

I've been told by someone on board that 3 of the 6 engines are out right now. That would make it a generator problem, not a pod problem.

Sorry, Bob, didn't catch your post while I was composing mine. If 3 generators are out, that sounds more like a switchboard problem than a generator problem. While this could be serious if it is a failed breaker that ties the two switchboards together (3 generators on each), more likely is an automation problem that is invoking an interlock between the switchboards. That may tie into the comment earlier about the techs arriving in FLL. I'm an old time marine engineer, and worry sometimes when I realize that the control of the entire ship's plant is carried onboard by a computer geek with a flash drive. :eek:

Sorry, Bob, didn't catch your post while I was composing mine. If 3 generators are out, that sounds more like a switchboard problem than a generator problem. While this could be serious if it is a failed breaker that ties the two switchboards together (3 generators on each), more likely is an automation problem that is invoking an interlock between the switchboards. That may tie into the comment earlier about the techs arriving in FLL. I'm an old time marine engineer, and worry sometimes when I realize that the control of the entire ship's plant is carried onboard by a computer geek with a flash drive. :eek:

I'm a computer geek, and that worries me too!

I'm a computer geek, and that worries me too!

The company that provides the automation for my ship has equipped over 300 vessels worldwide. Some of the systems date back to being DOS based. They never get service calls about those older systems. Their latest system, using Windows 10 and touch screens are constantly requiring patches and tweaks. Progress!

Post of the day...and it's not even 8:00 here yet!:D

Oh Boy.... Not what I wanted to hear as I finish packing my suitcase.. We re leaving _well, maybe_ on Liberty of the Seas tomorrow.......

I'm sorry you all missed your ports...I hope it's still enjoyable for you..

It's -6 here in the Buffalo Area... I'll even be happy with sitting on the deck of a limping ship at this point.... :(

The company that provides the automation for my ship has equipped over 300 vessels worldwide. Some of the systems date back to being DOS based. They never get service calls about those older systems. Their latest system, using Windows 10 and touch screens are constantly requiring patches and tweaks. Progress!

Hard to believe they would use Windows 10 for the actual control of critical systems. More likely the Windows 10 is handling user interface, and an industrial type real-time OS and logic controllers are handling the critical stuff.

Edited by clarea

On the up side... If Liberty does need a short premature dry dock, perhaps they will take the opportunity to install the Freestyle Machines ;)

Just trying my best to remain positive for our Easter Cruise that we booked last June :(

If you guys could see the snow banks around here, you would feel my pain.

dp

Okay, the freestyle comment got a chuckle out of me.

I feel your pain...I am a busy pet sitter in the Chicago suburbs. I walk dogs EVERY DAY in the cold and snow on icy sidewalks.

Trying to remain positive, but freaking out a little here.

Hard to believe they would use Windows 10 for the actual control of critical systems. More likely the Windows 10 is handling user interface, and an industrial type real-time OS and logic controllers are handling the critical stuff.

Again, not a real computer type, but the system uses Distributed Process Units for inputs/outputs, and these are connected on a CAN/LAN to regular PC's for the actual program operation. There are redundant PC's, but we've had lockups that stopped the system processing (things will keep running, but monitoring stops) until the PC is rebooted. I believe you are right, in that there is a proprietary OS involved there, but still, without the user interface, you can't see or control anything. Shipboard systems, like other applications, are designed fail-safe, so that things will remain in the last condition when the system goes south. I have had times where the software crashes and we cannot start the engine.

Again, not a real computer type, but the system uses Distributed Process Units for inputs/outputs, and these are connected on a CAN/LAN to regular PC's for the actual program operation. There are redundant PC's, but we've had lockups that stopped the system processing (things will keep running, but monitoring stops) until the PC is rebooted. I believe you are right, in that there is a proprietary OS involved there, but still, without the user interface, you can't see or control anything. Shipboard systems, like other applications, are designed fail-safe, so that things will remain in the last condition when the system goes south. I have had times where the software crashes and we cannot start the engine.

Wow. Unfortunately, the reliability of software programming is not what it used to be. I see it every day.

I am not going to compete against Pezz or Cody. No contest.

Pezz is a 65 year old former principal from Jersey, who is a fixture on this ship. I think he is on his 16th Oasis cruise with a similar number on the Allure. He is rock solid on the board. Cody on the other hand is on his third cruise, but he is young and nimble.

Me I just carve back and forth getting better this week, watching Pezz has been very good for me. Hopefully, we can get back to the flowrider after watching Cats at 2:30PM today.

jc

Is Cody 13-15 with dirty blond surfer style hair? Skinny too? HA, I wish I stilled looked like that. If he is who I think he is, we sailed with him in November, and he won the BOB. Haven't met Pezz, but with our love of the Oasis Class I am sure we will one day.

In November, the Cody that I met, was first time flowriding and maybe first cruise too. We were on Oasis and he rode more like a stake boarder. Really lose and used his hands on the surface of the water help. Very much like the movie "The Legends of Dogtown".

Good luck with Cats. We made it intermission and my wife said we could go. Really well done, and we felt bad leaving but we were spent after a long day.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Our cruise is really sold out? Wow! Will be my first full cruise :D I am just praying to at least just bob around the Caribbean. Who cares of we stop anywhere!

Me too!! Sure hope that it can be fixed, the ship is sold out I don't think they would want to cancel.