Fantasy out of Charleston

JMHAM1

As I'm sitting here in Chattanooga, TN under 9 inches of snow, all I can do is dream about cruising....

I really, really, REALLY want to take the family on a shorter cruise for this year's Fall Break which will be in October. We usually do 7 day cruises because for me, that is the minimum number of days I would want to be on a cruise but Fall break is short so I was looking at some of the 5 day cruises out of ports close to home.

I know the Fantasy is pretty old. I have sailed on her YEARS ago. I was wondering if anyone has sailed recently on Fantasy that can give me a thumbs up or down.

Sailing with us will be me, DH, 17 y/o (boy), 14 y/o (girl), 13 y/o (boy), one who will turn 13 on the trip (boy), 12 y/o (girl) and 5 y/o (boy).

Bahamas are not my favorite port but on cruises where we take all the kids, we usually just do a simple beach day anyway.

What is the mix of travelers who travel from Charleston? Is it more of a party type atmosphere on the shorter cruises in the Fall? Let me know your thoughts y'all. I need some warm weather dreams to melt my winter blues!

I can't comment about the fall, but we took her a year ago for spring break. It had a typical crowd for that time of year ranging from all ages - our break is early but there were a fair number of families on board. She is still in acceptable shape and I didn't really notice any significant wear and tear that I haven't seen on other ships. She isn't the prettiest ship by far, and if you have been on that class, you know the layout.

The only thing we didn't like is the lack of balconies except for the suites which we can't afford when traveling with kids as we always get two rooms. The weather was very cold the first day and a half out and then back, so it drove everyone indoors. Makes for a crowded feeling when you can't get away on your own balcony.

We would sail her again, but only if they had invested in balconies like on the Fascination. Otherwise, no.

We cruised the Fantasy last summer, in July.

We have cruised other Fantasy-class ships. One of the things I like on these smaller ships is the Serenity area.

The ship is not bad. It was nice because we drove to the port so we saved on airfare. I would do it again if the opportunity came along. To me, a five day cruise has a different feel than a 7 day, but not necessarily in a bad way - just different. It was a nice getaway. I think you should go for it, you will have a nice time.

We just sailed her on the New Years eve cruise. She is old but in great shape. Amazing crew and it is a vacation! We love the ease of Charleston. It is not an ideal situation as they have an odd terminal/parking setup but it has never bothered us. Easy to get there, quickest you will ever get on a ship and the ship has a lot of fun things to do. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the upgraded ships, but we love to be able to drive to the port! We enjoy the Fantasy.

I sailed the fantasy this past October for 5 nights and I did not find it to be a party ship. I also don't remember seeing any families. I'm sure there were some families and some partiers but apparently not enough to be bothersome.

We did Fantasy with a range of kids from 3 to 20-something. A couple of teens (18, 13) in there too.

Ship was clean, not new, but not lacking upkeep. Food was ok, service was great, atmosphere was family, but we went over 4th July.

I haven't ever done a 5 day cruise, but can't say I wouldn't if it struck us.

I don't like being stuck in an OV, but the lack of balconies (as mentioned before) is reality.

Charleston is the closest port for my sister, so we meet up there. I'm practically sitting in Baltimore so I tend to cruise the Pride a lot.

I do admit, I like the bigger boats better, but any cruise is better than staying home.

My husband and I went on her in early March 2013. Unbeknownst to either one of us, these dates coincided with Spring Break for many local colleges. Despite this, we really enjoyed the Fantasy and all it had to offer. We ran into the "partiers" but all of our encounters were extremely polite and we did not have any complaints. I was 30ish and DH was in his late 30s (and curmudgeonly to boot) and neither one of us had any complaints.

Yes, it's a small ship with not many amenities but we both thought it was grand. The benefit of a smaller ship was the crew really got to know you. By the second day, Liza, the bartender at Windows on the World at the back of the Lido deck, was greeting me by name and drink order. My husband found the same to be true at the coffee shop on Promenade deck (where he was regular milkshake customer). We are cruising again on the Valor in October 2015, but definitely have not ruled out the Fantasy for future cruises.

Nice to hear from someone in Chattanooga!

Both my wife and I grew up in that area. I'm originally from Fort Oglethorpe, GA (just over the state line from Chattanooga for those who don't know) and my wife grew up in the Highway 58 area.

Anyway, to answer your question, we've been on the Fantasy twice...both times in the Fall. In our experience, the crowd is somewhat subdued (less children) and deck chairs more plentiful when trying to find a place to lie in the sun.

I love the ship itself. She's the oldest ship in the Carnival fleet, but she's been well maintained and cared for. I wouldn't hesitate to book her again.

Garnett

:thumbup::thumbup: last sailed November 5th have another booked for September 19th , have no complaints about the crew or the ship , its always clean . The port its self is a different situation then any other we have done but thats quickly forgotten once onboard happy sailing i dont think you will be disappointed

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Sailed on her over Christmas. My expectations were not high, but, the cruise was PERFECT. The crew is fabulous. We had such a great time, I came home and booked the Fascination and leave tomorrow. It was a great DEAL, otherwise, I would not hesitate to hop right back on the Fantasy.

I've been on approximately 20 cruises, including 2 on the Fantasy. In fact my wife and I are going on the Fantasy in 1 week. Carnival keeps this ship in pretty good condition and considering everything, it's hard to beat this vacation for the money. Good mix of people, but a Fall cruise may have less kids, depending on when other schools in the Southeast have Fall breaks.

I didn't love it. I thought it was OK but am not a smoker, drinker or gambler. I thought the shows were for an older crowd. The buffet seemed to be the same everyday. But i only have sailed Disney. My kids really liked kids club. The ship never seemed crowed. Never had long lines for the buffet. The ship had many lounge chairs. Service was great. Dinner had great food choices. My kids are 12 and 13. We went to melia resort in bahamas it $35 a person took the bus at 1.25 each way that was really awesome includes towels, snorkling, all pools, ping pong, badketball, hot tub and kids club if you have younger kids. We also played bingo (free)

The ship did not look old, the carpet looks new and I thought ship was really clean. The serenity deck had nice lounge chairs.

Edited by Cruiseaptp

Was on the Fantasy 2 weeks ago. Love the ship ( been on that ship 9 times ) will go again. Nice small ship great personnel on board. Was on the Dream, Sunshine and Valor last year, and still like the Fantasy the best. Decent food and lots to do for families. Hope I answered some questions.

As I'm sitting here in Chattanooga, TN under 9 inches of snow, all I can do is dream about cruising....

I really, really, REALLY want to take the family on a shorter cruise for this year's Fall Break which will be in October. We usually do 7 day cruises because for me, that is the minimum number of days I would want to be on a cruise but Fall break is short so I was looking at some of the 5 day cruises out of ports close to home.

I know the Fantasy is pretty old. I have sailed on her YEARS ago. I was wondering if anyone has sailed recently on Fantasy that can give me a thumbs up or down.

Sailing with us will be me, DH, 17 y/o (boy), 14 y/o (girl), 13 y/o (boy), one who will turn 13 on the trip (boy), 12 y/o (girl) and 5 y/o (boy).

Bahamas are not my favorite port but on cruises where we take all the kids, we usually just do a simple beach day anyway.

What is the mix of travelers who travel from Charleston? Is it more of a party type atmosphere on the shorter cruises in the Fall? Let me know your thoughts y'all. I need some warm weather dreams to melt my winter blues!

Hey now missy! It was only 6 inches :D (well, here in the valley at least. If you're up on Lookout or Signal than you truly got more).

Nice to hear from someone in Chattanooga!

Both my wife and I grew up in that area. I'm originally from Fort Oglethorpe, GA

Garnett

So cool to see people from my area!!! My grandma lives in Fort Oglethorpe on Dietz Road :)

We are about 45 min up on Sand Mountain :)

We sailed Fantasy's sister ship last year, the Fascination out of Jacksonville and we loved it. My husband and I had been on the Dream just the month before and while the Dream has more to do we still loved every minute of our time on the Fascination! Let us know what you decide! (oh and a review when you come home!) :)

It was a few years ago that we were on the Fantasy, and I know you were looking for recent cruisers, but I had to chime in because I LOVED the Fantasy. Crew was great, we had the best room steward ever, ship was clean and well run. Some of the best food I have eaten on a cruise ship was on the Fantasy. We went during the spring and while I expected a large number of families, we found mostly couples, almost all from the southern states; North and South Carolina, Virginia, a few from Georgia, West Virginia, and eastern Tennessee.

Love the Fantasy, been on her twice. In 2011 my kids were 15, 13 and 12, their first cruise. We sailed in summer, so there were a lot of families on board. My kids loved it. (We sailed on the Disney Dream the following summer, and they said they preferred the Carnival Fantasy even though it was a older, smaller ship!). Sailed again last year with my daughter (now 18) and her 3 friends for their high school graduation, and once again, had a fantastic cruise. Lots of families on board, but we cruised in May. I suspect that October might have fewer families, however, a lot of school systems have breaks in October, so you never know! The crew on the Fantasy is one of the best we have ever encountered. The ship is clean, and does not look her age IMO. I would sail on her again any day! PS...do the tea time, usually held around 3:00 ish on sea days, in the piano bar. My kids loved it!

We just got off the Fantasy Friday from a 5-day to the Bahamas hitting Freeport and Nassau. Like one of the posters, we didn't expect much from either port, when you have cruised a lot and to many different places, Bahamas is like going to your local beach. We only got off on Freeport to go to the beach since it was a cheap excursion we got some sun, walked in the water, got the drink package and it was a good deal. Stayed on the ship in Nassau.

The March 1st cruise coincided with several schools' spring breaks so I would estimate about 25% to 1/3 of the ship was people under 25. About 50% were 55+ with an almost invisible amount of people in their 30s and 40s. There were kids but a small portion compared to the total pax at least those of school age.

We can just drive to the port so between that and the overall cost of the cruise (less than $1000 between us 2 with room, port charges, taxes, and pre-paid gratuities), it was like a weekend getaway. I am not sure I would justify doubling the price for a far away resident to take a 5 day cruise. There were people from Canada that probably spent more to get to the cruise than to be on it. But I understand Canada, and much of the northern part of the US lives under a blanket of snow so perhaps it is worth it.

As for the ship, we couldn't have been more pleased considering the value. We were able to secure a nice cabin almost amidships on a lower deck so there were only a couple of incidents of noise from pax and little if any movement or noise from the ship. We got a standard OV as others have noted the Fantasy ships you basically got Inside, Outside, or a couple dozen balconies that are nothing more than OV with a small deck. Probably not worth the extra money for a balcony on that ship for a shorter cruise. Beds were very nice. Bathrooms were small but manageable.

The ship was clean tidy and organized especially so given the age. Most of the crew had been with the ship for some time and the few that we asked volunteered that they liked working this ship than the others they experienced. We had a nice 2-top table for dinner we went early at 545PM and got one of two tables near each other with the same wait staff every night. That made getting a table that we wanted easy and ensured good service because we got to know the staff well. Food was good, we liked the current menu compared to some of the American Table menus that we have seen. We like traditional cruising at least for dinner and liked the elegance of the dining room with table cloths and traditional service. Food was for the most part good and arrived very quickly. Service was not rushed although you did feel that the staff was 'efficient' about moving along the dishes so you didn't linger too long. Most dinners were between 1-1.5 hours leaning more towards 1 on most nights.

Cabin stewards were great, they greeted us by name when we made contact and they were good to clean the room twice a day when we left for breakfast and for dinner. I always advice people that service staff like to get a 'fix' on you so they can organize their duties so it is always a good thing whenever possible to keep that in mind when you go about your day.

The ship is smaller so you get used to it more quickly and considering there are really only a couple of decks that contain most everything that you want you feel the boundaries more quickly. On our cruise, with the high level of spring breakers, on the sea days, they basically took over the area immediately around the pool. For the most part they were behaved no fights, drama, or inappropriate behavior any more so than any of the other passengers. The lido and upper decks were crowded but chair hogging wasn't bad and you eventually could find a place to nest in the sun ( just use sun screen! ) Now on the port days, the kids cleared out as did a lot of the other passengers so the one day that we stayed on board it was easy to get a seat and use the pool. So for those that feel crowded on sea days if nothing catches your fancy at a port, consider staying on board and just enjoy the facilities. We did not use Serenity much because it was crowded and ended up finding acceptable seating elsewhere.

There were two main Broadway type shows on Fantasy, a British/Beetles type revue and a MotorCity/R&B/Motown type revue. From what I understand, the shows are basically the same as other ships so its not like the bigger ships get better shows, etc. In addition to those mainline shows, there was a Hasbro game show concept, and the ubiquitous rounds of bingo on several days. There was a comedy club with two comedians that we did not see but heard were pretty decent. They were late like 10 or 11PM starts and that makes for a long day for us.

There were a couple of trivia events, a couple of tribute bands and soloists that played music but to be honest the house music was weak. Not sure if that is a this-ship problem or a Carnival problem. On past cruises there was always live entertainment inside or outside like a steel drum band or something. This cruise it was mostly a iPod controlled DJ with the cruise staff interjecting commentary. It wasn't bad just seemed a little thin. Who knows perhaps others with more Carnival experience can weigh in on that perhaps the expectations on the ship are different now. There were a couple of the usual games, hair chest, last man standing, ice carving, outside but with the large amount of spring breakers they kind of made their own fun. I guess for a 5 day cruise there isn't a whole lot of pre planning.

The spa and fitness center was nice. Everything about the ship was clean and tidy with no major complaints. We really had zero complaints about the ship or staff. If we had any complaints it was irritations of fellow passengers behaviors stuff Carnival can only react to and ironically none of those involved any of the spring breakers. We did hear about a couple of arrests when we arrived back in Charleston and a rumor about some drugs. Who knows.

We don't have kids so can't comment on the kids problems directly but from what was relayed to us by other parents they generally liked the experience. With a relatively small amount of children on board the experience was probably more personalized and better than during peak times of travel with children.

Overall, we had a great cruise (who doesn't really?) and it was well worth the money. 5-day cruises are too short for us so might not do this again simply for that reason but not because of the ship. Charleston is an easy drive so if you leave within driving distance of the port than it is a good value. Fantasy is a good ship and for the expectation matched up well compared to others that we were on. It is a casual laid back experience for the most part.