Question for Brits using a USA based TA

sandancer

For the first time we have booked a cruise not using a UK travel agent. It is now 49 days out and I want to order bag tags (luggage labels as we would call them) and I'm not sure if X would send them from the US to a UK home address. Has anyone done this? I know many people use a US TA so I'm hoping someone might know the answer. For sure Celebrity UK won't tell me. I got very short shrift from them when I called on another subject. Once I mentioned the US booking the door slammed right in my face. You would never believe they were all part of the same corporation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We often book via a US travel agent and as far as luggage tags are concerned when your cruise docs are issued on Celebrities website you can print your tags yourself. We ordered clear plastic holders which you can get from cruise critic to put them in. Failing that print them off and fold and staple them to your luggage. Or you can get them from the porters when you arrive at the pier and write your cabin number on them.

My UK travel agent wouldn't send the tags to France.

One of the reasons I won't be going back to them.

I printed out one but then went to the 'man' at embarkation and he fixed me up with one.

You have to pass by them before you register.

We also had no travel documents. Nothing official looking. Just tinternet print outs. Stamp too expensive apparently.

I have booked a number of times though a large US agent.

We always receive luggage tags through the post, but as the TA's name is printed on the envelope it would appear that they are sent to us by our agent and not directly from Celebrity.

Either Celebrity automatically forwards the tags to the agent (as we have a non US address on the booking) or our agent requests them on our behalf and forwards them on to us.

I have booked several cruises with a U.S. TA and have never had a problem with receiving the luggage tags through the mail.

This is just wanted to hear Wendy. I will contact our US TA and ask if they will be sending them to us.

I have booked a number of times though a large US agent.

We always receive luggage tags through the post, but as the TA's name is printed on the envelope it would appear that they are sent to us by our agent and not directly from Celebrity.

Either Celebrity automatically forwards the tags to the agent (as we have a non US address on the booking) or our agent requests them on our behalf and forwards them on to us.

Correct :)

This is an interesting thread. I used a US web based based travel agent in 2010 using the telephone to book despite my living in the UK and got an exceptionally good deal. A few years later I tried to book again and was told by the travel agent that a number of cruise lines were no longer accepting bookings through US travel agents where the non-US citizen did not reside in the USA or have an address in the USA for communications. They quoted me an extremely complex number of scenarios where this regulation did not apply:

a When you will be travelling in the same cabin as a US citizen

b When you re-book with a previously used US TA on the same line you booked with that agent - only two lines accepted these bookings.

c Different rules applied to Canadians

d Different rules applied to Mexicans

e Where you were a non-US citizen but had a US address

If you make a proper investigation into this you may find it's a very complex problem.

Regards John

John. I know exactly which online TA you refer to. They gave me the same answer when we wanted to book with them. We booked this cruise onboard another cruise and we were given the choice by the Future Cruise coordinator to either use our UK or US based travel agent. Surprise! The rules had just been changed. I think item b must have come into it. We chose the US TA and I know there are many, many people who do use a US agent without any problems.

Keenly interested in finding a US based TA (I live outside the US), since I've found the one and only TA listed by Celebrity for my region to be entirely ineffective (they offer nothing, simply process my payments and leave me to do all of the heavy lifting as in I have to call Celebrity myself if I have issues or questions). I've complained to Celebrity before about their lack of service (I've had to use them for several cruises because when I make a reservation onboard for a future cruise, they automatically transfer the booking to them much to my chagrin) - but you know how that goes.

Would any of you care to recommend you US based TA? Would truly truly appreciate it. You can email me at kjpublicis@gmail.com

Thanks so very much!

Karen

Why bother with luggage tags, get them as you drop the luggage off at the keyside, the baggage cleck will fix the tag with your cabin no and assignment with no hassle.

We have always used US TA for Celebrity Cruises for the last 5 years - prices are cheaper with far better T&C.

John. I should say that we did not book with the online agent I think you are referring to. I did book a cruise with them but it was an NCL cruise. My Celebrity cruises booked in the US were with a TA recommended by friends in the US. They have given us a very good service.

Keenly interested in finding a US based TA (I live outside the US), since I've found the one and only TA listed by Celebrity for my region to be entirely ineffective (they offer nothing, simply process my payments and leave me to do all of the heavy lifting as in I have to call Celebrity myself if I have issues or questions). I've complained to Celebrity before about their lack of service (I've had to use them for several cruises because when I make a reservation onboard for a future cruise, they automatically transfer the booking to them much to my chagrin) - but you know how that goes.

Would any of you care to recommend you US based TA? Would truly truly appreciate it. You can email me at kjpublicis@gmail.com

Thanks so very much!

Karen

Karen,

the next time you book on board, tell the future cruise agent not to credit the new booking to your agent. They will start by saying they must. Tell them you are dissatisfied with the agent and refuse to do further business with them and you want the cruise line to hold your reservation. You'll probably need to sign something, but they are supposed to do what you want in this instance.

Thanks so very much!

Karen

Karen. Sorry. Unfortunately the rules of CC don't allow you to do this. There are many US TA's you can Google. Make sure they are aware of your location so you don't get disappointed when you try to book.

Yes, when we booked on board we said we didn't want the same travel agent. Useless.

We are Celebrity. French office!

Fortunately not had to enquire about anything so no comments there. With the shoot of the euro remarkably pleased we are.

I also look at these bargains online. I don't know enough about great prices but enough to know the UK seem to be missing out. Last minute in the paper on a Saturday seem to be the best. Must check out the icy house site! They could be interesting.

You don't have to assign a TA to a future cruise booking. If you WANT to when you get home, there is usually a 90 day time frame in which you have to do this.

Not sure if it is the same with bookings for UK residents, but otherwise any bookings being made with Celebrity must be transferred to the TA of choice within 60 days. It used to be up to final payment ... which was lovely because you could control your own booking up to that point and then transfer it to the TA offering the best amenities.

Karen,

the next time you book on board, tell the future cruise agent not to credit the new booking to your agent. They will start by saying they must. Tell them you are dissatisfied with the agent and refuse to do further business with them and you want the cruise line to hold your reservation. You'll probably need to sign something, but they are supposed to do what you want in this instance.

Thanks for the great advice! Will definitely try this :)