Grand Cayman beaches....By taxi?

setsail1975

It's been about 7 years since we last have been to Grand Cayman on a cruise. I've looked over most of the shore excursions offered and they all seem an average of 3 hrs long. We are looking to just take a taxi from the pier to and from the beach. Can someone suggest which beach is best and give us an approximate of what taxi's run from the port of Grand Cayman? We just want to beach it for the day and relax without being rushed. Thanks!

No cab...take the bus! $2.50 pp, and will stop at anyplace along 7 Mile Beach. Coming back to the ship, stand by the road and they will pick you up! So cheap and easy!

Thanks do they run pretty frequently, that you may be aware of?

We went to Calico Jacks--took a taxi, who was VERY rude. Calico Jacks has free wifi and chairs. We liked it and ordered lunch and had a few beers--Few hours later we took a taxi back to the port and hung out!

We always take a taxi to Sea Grape Beach which is part of Seven Mile Beach. It is free and not crowded at all. It's clean and has nice soft white sand. The water there is spectacular. The last time were there taxi was $4/pp each way. It may be $5 now but certainly no more than that.

We spent a wonderful day at the Royal Palms earlier this winter. The taxi was $4 per person each way. Would recommend this beach club. $2 at the entrance and $8 for a chair. Food and drinks were on par with other places. Lovely beach and friendly staff.

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ky/#.VPjDrf0tHct

West Bay – every 15 minutes, 6 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday – Thursday; 6 a.m. – midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is US$2.50 each way. Bodden Town – Every 30 minutes, 6 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday- Thurs.; 6 a.m. – midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is US$2.50 each way.

East End and North Side – Every hour, 6 a.m. – 9 p.m., Sunday – Thurs. and Saturday. On Friday, buses will operate until after Midnight. Fare: US$5.00 each way.

The system uses color – coded logos located on the front and rear of buses to identify routes as follows: Route 1 (yellow) and Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to West Bay; Route 3 (blue) provides service between the depot in George Town and Bodden Town. Route 4 (purple) operates between the depot and East End. Route 5 (red) goes from the depot to East End and North Side. Route 6 (dark green) operates from North Side to West Bay.

Licensed buses are identified by blue licence plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares.

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ky/#.VPjDrf0tHct

West Bay – every 15 minutes, 6 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday – Thursday; 6 a.m. – midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is US$2.50 each way. Bodden Town – Every 30 minutes, 6 a.m. – 11 p.m., Sunday- Thurs.; 6 a.m. – midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is US$2.50 each way.

East End and North Side – Every hour, 6 a.m. – 9 p.m., Sunday – Thurs. and Saturday. On Friday, buses will operate until after Midnight. Fare: US$5.00 each way.

The system uses color – coded logos located on the front and rear of buses to identify routes as follows: Route 1 (yellow) and Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to West Bay; Route 3 (blue) provides service between the depot in George Town and Bodden Town. Route 4 (purple) operates between the depot and East End. Route 5 (red) goes from the depot to East End and North Side. Route 6 (dark green) operates from North Side to West Bay.

Licensed buses are identified by blue licence plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares.

This is great, thank you!

Just got back. We found the bus area by the square. There were what looked to me like cabs (vans) there along with public buses. Hard to tell what was going on. We got in one of these questionable vans because they were in front of what were unmistakably public buses. I asked if it was a public bus and the guy said yes. At my destination he asked for the public bus rate as well. The difference in look was that the one kind of bus/van was clean, modern, white with a large colored circle on the front containing a number. I believe it also said "Public Bus" on the windshield. Some of the others had colored trim, weren't so new, and had different labeling. The guy didn't seem to be on a schedule to get out. He just waited till he filled the thing up, which happened pretty quickly.

We went to the Public Beach (by Calico Jacks). The driver just called it "7 Mile Beach," which seems oddly non-specific. As I understand it, Seagrape and Public Beach are supposed to be right there together. I saw no differentiation.

We had 5 ships in port and the beach got quite busy, especially near Calico Jack's. Even so, there were still open tables for drinks and dining. The crowds were thinner on the far end (south), and we found chairs under trees at the extreme end. What we didn't realize was that this is also where they eventually set up the inflatable playground. That happened late morning. There's few trees elsewhere, so you'll need to get an umbrella.

It took no time to flag down a ride back to the port. It seems to me that rides are cheap enough on this island (no matter bus or cab) that you just grab whatever looks to be most immediately going your way.

Just got back. We found the bus area by the square. There were what looked to me like cabs (vans) there along with public buses. Hard to tell what was going on. We got in one of these questionable vans because they were in front of what were unmistakably public buses. I asked if it was a public bus and the guy said yes. At my destination he asked for the public bus rate as well. The difference in look was that the one kind of bus/van was clean, modern, white with a large colored circle on the front containing a number. I believe it also said "Public Bus" on the windshield. Some of the others had colored trim, weren't so new, and had different labeling. The guy didn't seem to be on a schedule to get out. He just waited till he filled the thing up, which happened pretty quickly.

We went to the Public Beach (by Calico Jacks). The driver just called it "7 Mile Beach," which seems oddly non-specific. As I understand it, Seagrape and Public Beach are supposed to be right there together. I saw no differentiation.

We had 5 ships in port and the beach got quite busy, especially near Calico Jack's. Even so, there were still open tables for drinks and dining. The crowds were thinner on the far end (south), and we found chairs under trees at the extreme end. What we didn't realize was that this is also where they eventually set up the inflatable playground. That happened late morning. There's few trees elsewhere, so you'll need to get an umbrella.

It took no time to flag down a ride back to the port. It seems to me that rides are cheap enough on this island (no matter bus or cab) that you just grab whatever looks to be most immediately going your way.

Great feedback! Thank you

I believe if you go to http://www.shoreexcursioneer.com they offer an all-inclusive day at a resort in GC too. Usually their prices are really decent and being all-inclusive your food/drink use of pool and drinks are part of the deal. We will be using them in Cozumel when we stop there. Just a thought!

Thanks for the website:)

Anyone know if the buses run to Smith's Cove? We plan on walking, but just in case we are tired from Jamaica :) Looks like maybe route 3 from Georgetown to Boddentown?

Edited by buffy24